MBB: Michigan Intercollegiate Athletic Association

Started by sac, February 19, 2005, 11:51:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sac

MHSAA has extended the use of Van Noord Arena for the girls state basketball finals to 2020 and 2021.

realist

Out of curiosity I checked to see what kind of conference records 5th & 6th place teams have had the last 5 seasons.  The results are"
The best any 5th place team finished the MIAA conference season (over the past 5 years) was Albion in 2017 at 7-7.
The best any 6th place team finished the MIAA conference season (over the past 5 years) was Albion in 2018 at 6-8.
4 out of the 5 years the 5th place team finished at 6-8.
3 out of the 5 years the 6th place team finished at 5-9.
The worst 6th place finish was Olivet in 2014 at 3-11.
One of the purposes of the conference games is to gain standing to earn the right to play in the MIAA tournament.  At best once in a while a 5 seed will beat a 4 seed, less frequently a 6 seed will beat a 3 seed, and seldom will any of them prevail against 1 or 2 seeds. 
What is gained having teams, with sub par records, play these extra games?

"If you are catching flack it means you are over the target".  Brietbart.

hornets76542

Quote from: realist on December 06, 2018, 05:01:27 PM
One of the purposes of the conference games is to gain standing to earn the right to play in the MIAA tournament.  At best once in a while a 5 seed will beat a 4 seed, less frequently a 6 seed will beat a 3 seed, and seldom will any of them prevail against 1 or 2 seeds. 

Last year's 5 and 6 seeds would've been Albion and Calvin. Both beat the 1 seed, Olivet, during the regular season. We're not talking about UMBC-Virginia level upsets here. There's really nothing to lose by having one extra round, as you're still playing for seeding in the regular season, and you gain extra basketball (which everyone agrees is good) and the occasional upset.
go nets

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

You should watch other conferences and even other sports ... you never know when a lower seed wins over a higher seed in these tournaments. The entire NESCAC men's soccer playoffs was put on it's head this year when all FOUR lower seeds beat the higher seeds in the quarterfinals ... and it only went on from there with the #8-seed Colby winning it all.

What you see on paper ... is never what happens on the court. This gives a few more teams a chance and I'm a fan of that.
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

sac

Out of curiosity I checked to see what kind of conference records 5th & 6th place teams have had the last 5 seasons.  The results are"
The best any 5th place team finished the MIAA conference season (over the past 5 years) was Albion in 2017 at 7-7.
The best any 6th place team finished the MIAA conference season (over the past 5 years) was Albion in 2018 at 6-8.

In the 20+ years we did a full tournament of either 7 or 8 teams, I think a lower seed only won 6 games, somewhere  below 10% of the time.

HOPEful

Quote from: sac on December 06, 2018, 10:04:38 PM

In the 20+ years we did a full tournament of either 7 or 8 teams, I think a lower seed only won 6 games, somewhere  below 10% of the time.

I do remember Hope getting the bye and then getting beat by Adrian at home in 2004. That one was disappointing.

I really liked the 4 team format. I'm all for more basketball, but it's in the conference's best interest for their best team(s) to represent the conference in the post-season. If we're allowing 75% of the conference to compete, I'd like to the see the automatic qualifier go to the regular season champion rather than the tournament champion. Calvin and Albion finished last season 10-15 and 9-16 respectively. Had either made the MIAA tournament and won it, they would have been the conferences sole playoff team, with a losing record.
Let's go Dutchmen!

2015-2016 1-&-Done Tournament Fantasy League Co-Champion

Jameswys

17 teams have made the D1 men's tournament with losing records, 3 of which had 11-18 records. It happens even in D1. I don't like the expansion to 6 teams however. Four teams was a fine system but if there needs to be a change let's make it all 8 teams.
Olivet '05

KnightSlappy

Calvin drops their first game of the weekend 68-63 at UW-Whitewater. Shymanski had a look to tie it just before the buzzer but it wouldn't fall. Calvin was whistled for a foul on the rebound with 0.2 left on the clock which gave Whitewater two additional FTs to end the game.

Neither team shot very well and we had a total of 42 fouls called.

wiz

Quote from: KnightSlappy on December 07, 2018, 10:17:04 PM
Calvin drops their first game of the weekend 68-63 at UW-Whitewater. Shymanski had a look to tie it just before the buzzer but it wouldn't fall. Calvin was whistled for a foul on the rebound with 0.2 left on the clock which gave Whitewater two additional FTs to end the game.

Neither team shot very well and we had a total of 42 fouls called.
Brutal weekend schedule for the Knights and, after a close first half, Whitewater started the second half on a 16-4 run and went onto a 15 point lead.  But Calvin kept its composure and got it down to 2 points with 1:06 left in the game.  Whitewater won the free throw contest.  This team plays harder and smarter than previous editions.  Facing an even tougher team tomorrow.

Grutte Dirk

Quote from: Jameswys on December 07, 2018, 07:55:57 PM
17 teams have made the D1 men's tournament with losing records, 3 of which had 11-18 records.
Interesting. Have there been any D3 teams with a losing record in the NCAA tournament?
Bûter, brea en griene tsiis; wa't dat net sizze kin, is gjin oprjochte Fries.

maroonandgold

Apparently Albion was the only MIAA winner today, and they did it on a rather impressive come-from-behind fashion against a good Chicago team.  Calvin really got whipped, Hope lost a game they led at halftime, Alma played a tough team well, and Olivet lost to a good Wheaton team.  Where does that leave us as a league?  Does Albion move up in the predictions?  It really appears to be league with no dominant favorite from what I can see with the likelihood of numerous unexpected results.  It should be fun.

Mr. Ypsi

Quote from: Bilk on December 08, 2018, 10:25:05 PM
Quote from: Jameswys on December 07, 2018, 07:55:57 PM
17 teams have made the D1 men's tournament with losing records, 3 of which had 11-18 records.
Interesting. Have there been any D3 teams with a losing record in the NCAA tournament?

Yes.  With Pool A access for conference winners (including upset winners of conference tourneys), it has happened numerous times, though I don't have any specifics on that.

sac

Stevens Point 82 Hope 74

Tough loss for Hope, played a great first half and just couldn't hold on enough to maybe pull this one out.  Nice end of first half burst from Hope gave them an 8 point lead.    UWSP upped its 2nd half game at both ends and it was just enough.  Difference of 5 turnovers doesn't seem like a lot but I thought it was the game, Hope was playing at a high enough level to squeeze 9 points out of 5 possessions. 

Last year SP's Nate Dodge lit up Hope for 42 points on 10-13 3pt shooting off the bench.  This year Hope kept him mostly in check and never let him get a really good look most of the night.  Fredrickson picked up the slack a little with a 5-7 2nd half 3pt performance.

Much to be encouraged about against a team bigger at every position but only equally as skilled it seemed.

Greek Tragedy

Quote from: sac on December 09, 2018, 03:10:20 AM
Stevens Point 82 Hope 74

Tough loss for Hope, played a great first half and just couldn't hold on enough to maybe pull this one out.  Nice end of first half burst from Hope gave them an 8 point lead.    UWSP upped its 2nd half game at both ends and it was just enough.  Difference of 5 turnovers doesn't seem like a lot but I thought it was the game, Hope was playing at a high enough level to squeeze 9 points out of 5 possessions. 

Last year SP's Nate Dodge lit up Hope for 42 points on 10-13 3pt shooting off the bench.  This year Hope kept him mostly in check and never let him get a really good look most of the night.  Fredrickson picked up the slack a little with a 5-7 2nd half 3pt performance.

Much to be encouraged about against a team bigger at every position but only equally as skilled it seemed.

I don't think that's ever been said for a Point team. I also don't think Point has ever been mistaken for being overly skilled. They're usually disciplined, efficient and sound.
Pointers
Breed of a Champion
2004, 2005, 2010 and 2015 National Champions

Fantasy Leagues Commissioner

TGHIJGSTO!!!

WUPHF

I feel bad for Alma...

Leading by two points with 20 seconds left and the ball.  They inbound then dribble in to a Whitewater defender.  Out of control.  Appropriate foul called.  Whitewater ball.  Two free throws.  Overtime.