MBB: Michigan Intercollegiate Athletic Association

Started by sac, February 19, 2005, 11:51:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pointlem and 5 Guests are viewing this topic.

TUAngola

Quote from: sac on April 11, 2018, 04:20:21 PM
Nick Bowman 6-0 G  Hamilton Southeast (In) will attend Trine

Has already been reported and added to running list compiled by Dutchfan.

Nick's high school is Hamilton Southeastern which is just northeast of Indianapolis in suburban Fishers Indiana.  For you MSU and UM fans it's the same high school that produced Gary Harris of MSU and Zak Irvin of UM.  Hated to see those Indiana kids matriculate north.  ::)   

Dutchfan

Updated to include Calvin's recruits.

NameTeamHeightHigh SchoolHome Town
Brock BlackwellAdrian6-4ShelbyvilleShelbyville, IN
Austin HarrisAlma6-4BuckleyBuckley, MI
Brandon RakeAlma6-7WhitehallWhitehall, MI
Isaiah WilliamsonAlma6-5Unionville-SebewaingSebewaing, MI
Mason GardnerAlma6-4Boyne CityBoyne City, MI
Mitch BussellAlma6-3East Grand RapidsGrand Rapids, MI
Nate MinderhoudCalvin6-4Covenant ChristianGrand Rapids, MI
Nick DuewekeCalvin6-4Notre Dame PrepClarkston, MI
Connor EvenhouseHope6-5Lakeland UnionMinocqua, WI
Jason DietzHope6-4TroyTroy, MI
Jeff BikusHope6-7MundeleinMundelein, IL
Nate DavisHope6-2Rochester Hills Stoney CreekRochester Hills, MI
Tyler GeorgeHope6-2Forest Hills CentralGrand Rapids, MI
Marty WardKalamazoo6-2East Grand RapidsGrand Rapids, MI
Aiden WarzechaTrine6-3MilfordWhite Lake, MI
Braydon KincaidTrine6-3GreenwoodGreenwood, IN
Cooper LewisTrine6-2ShelbyvilleShelbyville, IN
Nick BowmenTrine6-1Hamilton SouthernFishers, IN
Reese McGinsieTrine6-0RoncalliIndianapolis, IN
Zak LucasTrine6-3OtsegoOtsego, MI

Dutchfan

I've been having a lot of fun putting this together, so I'm glad nobody feels like I've been stepping on their heels by doing this.

sac

Quote from: TUAngola on April 11, 2018, 07:27:53 PM
Quote from: sac on April 11, 2018, 04:20:21 PM
Nick Bowman 6-0 G  Hamilton Southeast (In) will attend Trine

Has already been reported and added to running list compiled by Dutchfan.

Nick's high school is Hamilton Southeastern which is just northeast of Indianapolis in suburban Fishers Indiana.  For you MSU and UM fans it's the same high school that produced Gary Harris of MSU and Zak Irvin of UM.  Hated to see those Indiana kids matriculate north.  ::)   

For you Hope fans, Ben Gardner's Carmel team beat Hamilton Southeastern on the way to their State Championship with both of them on the floor.  ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7wg0NCMIBpo

Kind of fun but here is how Hamilton Southeastern got to play Carmel
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qzqiGHT_djs

TUAngola

Adrian commit:  Kylon Jarreau, 6-1 Guard, Wayne HS, Fort Wayne Indiana.  First team all conference in the ultra competetive Summit Athletic Conference in Fort Wayne.  Adrian continues to recruit the state of Indiana hard for mens basketball. 

sac

Cole Kleiver  5-11'ish G Williamston will attend Alma

Recently named a Class B first teamer.

SBell

AJ Abdelnour, Novi Catholic Central pg, to Kalamazoo.

sac

Some fairly significant NAIA news today as they announce they'll be going to one division.  The important part is the scholarship limit will be set at 8, that's a decrease of 3 for NAIA I schools but an increase of 2 for NAIA II schools (WHAC, Crossroads)

http://triblive.com/sports/college/district/13543555-74/naia-to-combine-basketball-divisions-in-2020-21

Down the road this could have a pretty big impact on MIAA recruiting efforts.

formerd3db

Quote from: sac on April 16, 2018, 07:23:51 PM
Some fairly significant NAIA news today as they announce they'll be going to one division.  The important part is the scholarship limit will be set at 8, that's a decrease of 3 for NAIA I schools but an increase of 2 for NAIA II schools (WHAC, Crossroads)

http://triblive.com/sports/college/district/13543555-74/naia-to-combine-basketball-divisions-in-2020-21

Down the road this could have a pretty big impact on MIAA recruiting efforts.

sac:

I don't follow basketball that much (only around tournament time) and even less for the NAIA (other than Cornerstone, since one of my s-i-l's graduated from there) and some NAIA football.  Nonetheless, quick question for you, if you know.  Do the NAIA basketball schools then split the 8 total scholarships such that every player on the roster gets a least some scholarship money, similar to what they (and NCAA Div II football schools) do?  Just curious.
Quick question.
"When the Great Scorer comes To mark against your name, He'll write not 'won' or 'lost', But how you played the game." - Grantland Rice

Pat Coleman

They can split that scholarship money however they choose.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

sac

As Pat stated they can split the scholarship any way they like, I'm kind of assuming they'll be allowed to continue that practice.  But there are also many NAIA's that financially don't ever meet the scholarship limit.

However, as far as the MIAA schools are concerned, (and HCAC since they directly deal with the Crossroads League, along with the CCIW who also deal with the Chicagoland League) there will now be well over 3 or 4 dozen extra scholarship dollars floating around from schools in the area that directly compete for the same kids.

Conversely there will be areas where the reduction of scholarships from 11 to 8 for competing NAIA I schools could be a benefit to some conferences but more likely other NAIA II's.  NAIA I's primary presence is in  Missouri, Kentucky, Iowa, Kansas, Oklahoma, Texas and California.

What it more than likely means is that in 3 years that financial aide package from your local D3 will have an even larger gap to the financial aide package of your local NAIA.

sac

Harry Gilstrap  6-4 G  Bath will attend Olivet
Chase Kinzinger  5-11 G Cedar Springs will attend Albion

HopeConvert

Quote from: sac on April 17, 2018, 12:57:41 AM
As Pat stated they can split the scholarship any way they like, I'm kind of assuming they'll be allowed to continue that practice.  But there are also many NAIA's that financially don't ever meet the scholarship limit.

However, as far as the MIAA schools are concerned, (and HCAC since they directly deal with the Crossroads League, along with the CCIW who also deal with the Chicagoland League) there will now be well over 3 or 4 dozen extra scholarship dollars floating around from schools in the area that directly compete for the same kids.

Conversely there will be areas where the reduction of scholarships from 11 to 8 for competing NAIA I schools could be a benefit to some conferences but more likely other NAIA II's.  NAIA I's primary presence is in  Missouri, Kentucky, Iowa, Kansas, Oklahoma, Texas and California.

What it more than likely means is that in 3 years that financial aide package from your local D3 will have an even larger gap to the financial aide package of your local NAIA.

In theory, but the fact is that a lot of these schools, as well as a lot of DIII schools, have some serious cash-flow problems which are likely to get worse. They are more likely to see cuts to these programs than expansions of them. Most observers don't appreciate the depth of the demographic and financial challenges these schools face. While it is true that an increasing number of students will allow financial aid packages to dictate their choice, schools can only discount so much. My own guess is that this will be a marginal difference at best.

I take comfort in the fact that when the door-closings come, and they are coming, Hope won't be in the first wave.
One Mississippi, Two Mississippi...

ziggy

Quote from: HopeConvert on April 17, 2018, 11:47:31 AM
Quote from: sac on April 17, 2018, 12:57:41 AM

In theory, but the fact is that a lot of these schools, as well as a lot of DIII schools, have some serious cash-flow problems which are likely to get worse. They are more likely to see cuts to these programs than expansions of them. Most observers don't appreciate the depth of the demographic and financial challenges these schools face. While it is true that an increasing number of students will allow financial aid packages to dictate their choice, schools can only discount so much. My own guess is that this will be a marginal difference at best.

I take comfort in the fact that when the door-closings come, and they are coming, Hope won't be in the first wave.

This spurred me to do some quick and dirty endowment research and... wow.

MIAA
Wolverine-Hoosier

NAIA schools do not appear to generally be well-endowed.

hornets76542

Art Caldwell, 6'8" F from Ann Arbor Huron, will attend Kalamazoo.