MBB: Centennial Conference

Started by swish, March 01, 2005, 04:51:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

diplomaniac1

Folks -

F & M has finally posted the Diplomats' men's basketball schedule for 2018-2019. There are still several teams and times that have not yet been confirmed or finalized. See the link below:

https://www.godiplomats.com/sports/m-baskbl/2018-19/schedule

Bring on the season. The fun begins in about two months!

Eric

CCHoopster

Early and uninformed guess at the CC preseason predictions:

1-JHU
2-Swarthmore
3-FnM
4-Dickinson
5-Ursinus
6-Gettysburg
7-Haverford
8-McDaniel
9-WAC

Pat Coleman

Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

Gabriel

CC,

I would add Muhlenberg to the mix at #6 and go with the following:

1. Swat
2. JHU
3. Ursinus
4. F&M
5. Dickinson
6. Muhl
7. Haverford
8. Gettysburg
9. McDaniel
10. WC

CCHoopster

Quote from: Gabriel on October 11, 2018, 03:14:34 PM
CC,

I would add Muhlenberg to the mix at #6 and go with the following:

1. Swat
2. JHU
3. Ursinus
4. F&M
5. Dickinson
6. Muhl
7. Haverford
8. Gettysburg
9. McDaniel
10. WC

I had them at 6 too.... got excited and forgot them.

JHU
FnM
Swat
Dickinson
Ursinus
Mules
GBurg
Haverford
McDaniel
WAC

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

I'll go out on a limb, then.  I don't know how good they'll be, but I don't think Washington College is finishing last this year.  That's an exciting, still pretty young team, that's learning a lot.  I think they surprise some people, especially at home.
Lead Columnist for D3hoops.com
@ryanalanscott just about anywhere

noonhooper

What a great time of the year, practice is about to start and everyone loves their squads!
A lot of important roles to fill for some of the CC teams this season so who knows what might happen but here is my prediction:
Swat
JHU
F&M
Ursinus
Dickinson
Mules
Wash
Haverford
Gburg
McD

Top three seem like a lock in some order (injuries notwithstanding). Ursinus has a lot of talent but they never seem to get over the hump, but I am sure at some point this year they will win five in a row and everyone will say "Here come the Bears!". The last players from Dickinson's strong teams are gone and I don't see a lot replacing them, too bad because I think Serretti is a great coach. At the bottom I think McDaniel just never found those replacements for Brooks and Stewart and Royster (an underrated part of their defense when it was great). Gburg has a new coach and the talent just isnt there to make a quick bounce back.

But what do I know? This probably means Haverford will win the whole thing.

Swat Fan #1

1. Swat
2. JHU
3. F&M
4. Ursinus
5. Dickinson
6. Haverford
7. Mules
8. Gettysburg
9. McDaniel
10. Wash

Gabriel

Swat Fan #1
Can't argue with your picks.  What we don't know is the impact of the new recruits. How well have the new coaches recruited?  F&M lost their two best players in Federici and Tate---have they replaced them?  Swat seems to be set without any impact freshmen.  JHU lost Doran but, I hear that they have recruited very well and they have two terrific guards returning.  Ursinus lost two starters in Quattro & Rafferty and brought in four recruits. 

Speaking of Ursinus, three (maybe four) of their seven non conference games are against teams from your neck of the woods.  They play St Lawrence at  the Scranton Invitational.  We played them in 2008-2009 at Williams and eked out a win against a very feisty, well coached team.  Also, the Bears play both Hamilton and Ithaca at Daytona Beach in December.  Hamilton is projected as a NESCAC powerhouse but I don't know much about Ithaca.  Perhaps you could shed some light on these opponents.  Bears other non conference opponents are Roanoke and Messiah or Clark's Summit at the Messiah tip off and Scranton or Hartwick at the Scranton Invitational. Bears play Rosemont at home in January.

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Quote from: Gabriel on October 31, 2018, 03:32:13 PM
Swat Fan #1
Can't argue with your picks.  What we don't know is the impact of the new recruits. How well have the new coaches recruited?  F&M lost their two best players in Federici and Tate---have they replaced them?  Swat seems to be set without any impact freshmen.  JHU lost Doran but, I hear that they have recruited very well and they have two terrific guards returning.  Ursinus lost two starters in Quattro & Rafferty and brought in four recruits. 

Speaking of Ursinus, three (maybe four) of their seven non conference games are against teams from your neck of the woods.  They play St Lawrence at  the Scranton Invitational.  We played them in 2008-2009 at Williams and eked out a win against a very feisty, well coached team.  Also, the Bears play both Hamilton and Ithaca at Daytona Beach in December.  Hamilton is projected as a NESCAC powerhouse but I don't know much about Ithaca.  Perhaps you could shed some light on these opponents.  Bears other non conference opponents are Roanoke and Messiah or Clark's Summit at the Messiah tip off and Scranton or Hartwick at the Scranton Invitational. Bears play Rosemont at home in January.

One thing I noticed last year, and I think commented on in one of the public avenues, was that the F&M team seemed to be able to play well with out Federici. That's not a knock on Federici, but there were times when he was on the bench or even on the floor in isolation that the rest of the team seemed to play pretty well. I think that bolds well for them this season. How well? Who knows.

St. Lawrence isn't the same squad from '08-'09. Back then, they were pretty good. Now they are consistent, but not really as strong. They were 22-7 that season you mention. They are coming off a five-win season last year. Chris Downs is a solid coach, but something has been off the last six seasons. Only one of note (two years ago 20-7), otherwise they have hovered around .500. Hamilton is a beast coming off an NCAA tournament run last season. They are darn good, but also with something to prove this season. They are no longer behind the curtain. Ithaca... can't wrap my head around them too much. They just haven't had the same mojo for awhile now. Just haven't been that strong or a threat.

Roanoke is another team to watch out for. They ended up winning 11-straight to finish the season, until the ODAC championship game. They have a preseason All-America selection and probably one of them more respected "young" coaches in the game. They will be a very difficult opponent. Messiah ... could be good, but they have been streaky for years.

Scranton appears to be off from where they have been, but that doesn't mean Coach Danzig doesn't have a surprise up his sleeve. It isn't that hard to win the Landmark of late (just hasn't been as competitive from top to bottom in it's history). Hartwick could be competitive. Rosemont will be one to watch because they could be improving more than people realize.

Man, that is a lot of New York teams. That could help or hurt their SOS and other numbers.
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

ronk

Quote from: Dave 'd-mac' McHugh on October 31, 2018, 03:49:12 PM
Swat Fan #1

One thing I noticed last year, and I think commented on in one of the public avenues, was that the F&M team seemed to be able to play well with out Federici. That's not a knock on Federici, but there were times when he was on the bench or even on the floor in isolation that the rest of the team seemed to play pretty well. I think that bolds well for them this season. How well? Who knows.

St. Lawrence isn't the same squad from '08-'09. Back then, they were pretty good. Now they are consistent, but not really as strong. They were 22-7 that season you mention. They are coming off a five-win season last year. Chris Downs is a solid coach, but something has been off the last six seasons. Only one of note (two years ago 20-7), otherwise they have hovered around .500. Hamilton is a beast coming off an NCAA tournament run last season. They are darn good, but also with something to prove this season. They are no longer behind the curtain. Ithaca... can't wrap my head around them too much. They just haven't had the same mojo for awhile now. Just haven't been that strong or a threat.

Roanoke is another team to watch out for. They ended up winning 11-straight to finish the season, until the ODAC championship game. They have a preseason All-America selection and probably one of them more respected "young" coaches in the game. They will be a very difficult opponent. Messiah ... could be good, but they have been streaky for years.

Scranton appears to be off from where they have been, but that doesn't mean Coach Danzig doesn't have a surprise up his sleeve. It isn't that hard to win the Landmark of late (just hasn't been as competitive from top to bottom in it's history). Hartwick could be competitive. Rosemont will be one to watch because they could be improving more than people realize.

Man, that is a lot of New York teams. That could help or hurt their SOS and other numbers.

I would differ in that there was only 3 games difference between 1st and 6th place last season; it may be even tighter this year. The Landmark just hasn't been competitive with the better teams outside the Landmark.
  If u do face Scranton in their tourney, u won't have to play against Mitch Cross who hit 7-8 3s and all his FTs for 27 against Ursinus last season.

Swat Fan #1

Swat Fan #1

I hear that Swat has a good crop of recruits and one of them, George Visconti is a 2,000+ scorer in high school. Cam Wiley will have to carry a huge load this year. He is fantastic but will be the focus of defenses. I am optimistic but realize that as Cam goes, Swat will go.

Ithaca has been up and down unfortunately, but Hamilton is a beast. Ithaca is now in that league and there is some great ball played.

It should be a great year for the Centennial and I see JH as a super team that is really well coached and will give Swat all they can handle. F&M is always tough and they aren't going anywhere. I hope we can get another team to the Great 8 again! Cheers all.

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Quote from: ronk on October 31, 2018, 05:06:09 PM
I would differ in that there was only 3 games difference between 1st and 6th place last season; it may be even tighter this year. The Landmark just hasn't been competitive with the better teams outside the Landmark.
  If u do face Scranton in their tourney, u won't have to play against Mitch Cross who hit 7-8 3s and all his FTs for 27 against Ursinus last season.

Last year was the first time we saw any serious competitiveness from top to bottom and that was primarily because the top of the conference took a significant step backwards towards the rest of the conference. The middle and bottom didn't significantly get better. It might be tighter this year (I'm not betting on that), but that isn't because the conference has gotten better or more competitive.

Yes, the Landmark has also not been that competitive outside the conference... and that plays into my point. It just hasn't been as strong or good a conference as many expected/hoped. It has produced a few good teams at the top on occasion, but not consistently outside of who the teams are at the top (which changed last season for the first time in ... ever?).
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

Swat Fan #1

Obviously, freshmen will change things a little bit, but I was incredibly impressed with the F&M bench last year in the conference tourney.  They really played well and were all tall and athletic.  They've still got McGrath there for leadership (who was maybe the best player on the team last year) - I think they'll be pretty good.
Lead Columnist for D3hoops.com
@ryanalanscott just about anywhere

guest323

Hopkins loses to GMU by 10 in their exhibition game