Conference changes

Started by hopefan, May 01, 2008, 11:25:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gregory Sager

Quote from: Ralph Turner on August 20, 2018, 04:31:48 PM
http://www.uttylerpatriots.com/news/articles/2018-19/7274/ut-tyler-to-join-lone-star-conference/

UT-Tyler to the Lone Star Conference.

The Lone Star Conference has subsumed the (D-2) Heartland Conference and now will have 20 members!

I am not sure where Newman University (Heartland Conference) in Wichita KS will go.

To Michigan, of course, where the bottle-deposit refund is higher:

"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

y_jack_lok

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

Greek Tragedy

How do you think D3 will handle Benedictine? Will they welcome them back ith open arms and let them bypass any provisional periods or will they say, "You left us, now you get to suffer" and make them go through the whole process again? How about the NACC? Two divisions in the future?
Pointers
Breed of a Champion
2004, 2005, 2010 and 2015 National Champions

Fantasy Leagues Commissioner

TGHIJGSTO!!!

Ralph Turner

Quote from: Greek Tragedy on September 25, 2018, 10:36:41 AM
How do you think D3 will handle Benedictine? Will they welcome them back ith open arms and let them bypass any provisional periods or will they say, "You left us, now you get to suffer" and make them go through the whole process again? How about the NACC? Two divisions in the future?
The geographical factors in Chicagoland are different from the southwest.

By the time that McMurry was coming back to D-3, the SCAC (Trinity, Southwestern, Colorado College and Austin College) had figured whom they would invite from the ASC to join the SCAC.  Now the SCAC is becoming a strong balanced 10-team conference.

The ASC needed football-playing McMurry. (Remember when the ASC was a Pool B conference from 2015 to 2017.)

We will see how this works out. I will let the locals in Chicago tell me who it is going.

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Quote from: Ralph Turner on September 25, 2018, 12:15:28 PM
Quote from: Greek Tragedy on September 25, 2018, 10:36:41 AM
The geographical factors in Chicagoland are different from the southwest.

By the time that McMurry was coming back to D-3, the SCAC (Trinity, Southwestern, Colorado College and Austin College) had figured whom they would invite from the ASC to join the SCAC.  Now the SCAC is becoming a strong balanced 10-team conference.

The ASC needed football-playing McMurry. (Remember when the ASC was a Pool B conference from 2015 to 2017.)

We will see how this works out. I will let the locals in Chicago tell me who it is going.

McMurray also had been gone four or five years making themselves a full fledge member of DII. DIII handled them like a new school, period.

As for Benedictine and the NCAA, there are two choices:
- You will remain a full-fledge member of DIII since you never technically left. However, we need you to produce all the violations you have encured transitioning to DII (not financial from what I've been told). We will mull over punishments and let you know. The NCAA also has to decide if Benedictine will be retroactively allowed to participate in DIII championship tournaments this year (which they had initially been told they would not be allowed to do).
- You have started the transition and thus we feel you are no longer a DIII institution. You must start the process of being enrolled in DIII which we know is a four to five year process (though, Benedictine could easily skip a year or two and be back in three).

Personally, I think it will be the first option. I think Benedictine wants the first option even if they miss out on NCAA Championship Tournaments this year - it is better than three or more years of missed tournaments. They take their lumps and move forward.

As for the NACC, that will be their conference. I don't see that changing. That said, I am told there are some in the NACC who apparently have had issues - I think from a selfish point of view - so that could easily change the landscape a bit. I hope smarter heads prevail and Benedictine is "welcomed back" warmly and we all move forward.

The school meant well and I don't think they need to be punished outside of the rules they possible "broke" while starting the transition.

BTW - Frostburg if you are watching ... be careful. I think FSU is taking on DII in a wholly bad way and this should be a cautionary tale for them.
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

Pat Coleman

Quote from: Dave 'd-mac' McHugh on September 25, 2018, 01:58:59 PM
BTW - Frostburg if you are watching ... be careful. I think FSU is taking on DII in a wholly bad way and this should be a cautionary tale for them.

If they care, they've seen it. If not, I don't think it needs to keep being mentioned.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Quote from: Pat Coleman on September 25, 2018, 04:35:11 PM
Quote from: Dave 'd-mac' McHugh on September 25, 2018, 01:58:59 PM

If they care, they've seen it. If not, I don't think it needs to keep being mentioned.

Tweeted it once; posted on the board once. Learned that not everyone follows both like you and I. Figured it was safe to say again in a different environment.

Greek Tragedy

Are teams in the provisional pipeline eligible for the Top 25?
Pointers
Breed of a Champion
2004, 2005, 2010 and 2015 National Champions

Fantasy Leagues Commissioner

TGHIJGSTO!!!

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Quote from: Greek Tragedy on October 11, 2018, 05:33:35 PM
Are teams in the provisional pipeline eligible for the Top 25?

If they are provisional or part of the four year process, no.

Caz Bombers

this was announced a couple weeks ago but I guess it slipped through the cracks at this busy time of year, not exactly earth-shattering news but still: the NAC attempts to keep at least one foot out of the grave by adding SUNY Delhi. Those are gonna be some long and cold road trips.

https://www.nacathletics.com/general/2018-19/releases/20181130fhogxk

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Quote from: Caz Bombers on December 12, 2018, 08:31:49 PM
this was announced a couple weeks ago but I guess it slipped through the cracks at this busy time of year, not exactly earth-shattering news but still: the NAC attempts to keep at least one foot out of the grave by adding SUNY Delhi. Those are gonna be some long and cold road trips.

https://www.nacathletics.com/general/2018-19/releases/20181130fhogxk

I would argue the NAC is far from being "in the grave." They have added three or four schools in the last year or two including this decision by Delhi.

Keep an eye on the NAC. There is more coming from what I have been learning over the course of the last 18 months. Don't be surprised if a few more schools head to the NAC and it becomes a rather large conference. From what I've been able to put together ... they've got a good plan. It is other conferences that need to be worried about their future.

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

Delhi is going to give Canton a travel partner.  I wouldn't be surprised if they try to get ME-Ft. Kent into the NCAA fold soon for the same reason.  This year, every time Canton travels, they play the same team, on the road, on back to back night; UMPI has a few of those built in, too.  They're trading two road games with some teams for two home games with others - presumably with the reverse next year.

Having Delhi solves a geography problem for them, not creates one.
Lead Columnist for D3hoops.com
@ryanalanscott just about anywhere

hopefan

Quote from: Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan) on December 13, 2018, 06:38:17 AM

Delhi is going to give Canton a travel partner.  I wouldn't be surprised if they try to get ME-Ft. Kent into the NCAA fold soon for the same reason.  This year, every time Canton travels, they play the same team, on the road, on back to back night; UMPI has a few of those built in, too.  They're trading two road games with some teams for two home games with others - presumably with the reverse next year.

Having Delhi solves a geography problem for them, not creates one.

Delhi to Canton... a white knuckle drive from the heart of the Catskills to the Northern Adirondacks.. 210miles of narrow snow covered roads through the mountains with steep drop offs. And the teams that have to do this have already bussed from a far off New England location. Yikes. 

Having been to Delhi, I'll again advertise... one of the prettiest gymnasium settings you will ever see...the campus is on a mountainside overlooking the town, and the gym and it's parking is at the highest point of the campus... gorgeous views.
The only thing not to be liked in Florida is no D3 hoops!!!

sunny

Quote from: Dave 'd-mac' McHugh on December 12, 2018, 10:20:55 PM
Keep an eye on the NAC. There is more coming from what I have been learning over the course of the last 18 months. Don't be surprised if a few more schools head to the NAC and it becomes a rather large conference.

So, what you're saying is that you can expect this conference to come NAC'ing on more doors?