MBB: University Athletic Association

Started by Allen M. Karon, February 21, 2005, 08:19:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

From what I've been told, they are down to finalists who will probably be on campus as soon as now, but more likely next week (or at least wrapped up).

I suspect the earliest an announcement would come is next week, but certainly by the end of the following week.
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

Ole Ollie

Take it for whatever it is worth, but on 9/13 hoopdirt reported:

Ten Skype interviews wrapped up at Brandeis. Here are my totals: 2 Ivy League assistants, 2 Patriot League assistants, 5 DIII head coaches, and 1 DIII assistant coach (a former DIII head coach). Sounds like the list has been cut, and finalists will be on campus within the week.

Does anyone know any of the persons who have interviewed? 

WUPHF

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Quote from: Ole Ollie on September 19, 2018, 03:03:00 PM
Take it for whatever it is worth, but on 9/13 hoopdirt reported:

Ten Skype interviews wrapped up at Brandeis. Here are my totals: 2 Ivy League assistants, 2 Patriot League assistants, 5 DIII head coaches, and 1 DIII assistant coach (a former DIII head coach). Sounds like the list has been cut, and finalists will be on campus within the week.

Does anyone know any of the persons who have interviewed?

I've received a very inconsistent list with names on it. What you have is basically the Skype numbers and HoopDirt left a few items off that list (I know the number was 14).

And I'm not releasing the names because I don't have the inconsistent list really all that confirmed.
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

Ole Ollie

According to Hoopdirt:

"I can confirm that Columbia University Associate Head Coach Jean Bain will be named as the next head coach at Brandeis University (MA). Bain, a native of nearby Medford, MA, had been an on the Columbia staff for the past two seasons. He also spent four seasons as the Associate Head Coach at Dartmouth, and six seasons prior to that as an assistant at New Hampshire. A former standout at Northeastern University, Bain was selected as the 1999 America East Rookie of the Year. An official announcement is expected within the next few days."

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Yep... though need Brandeis to tell us officially. Also, I have been told by my sources for over a week this was going to be Bain's job.

WUPHF

WUPHF

This is a very cool story for UAA fans and beyond.

Jay Murry will call the Washington University-Wheaton game and then set about doing a 24 hour run to raise awareness and research funds for Rett Syndrome.

https://www.101sports.com/2018/10/11/wash-u-broadcaster-to-raise-awareness-for-lesser-known-disease-with-24-hr-run/

http://washubears.com/general/2018-19/videos/20181012-z86so8h8

mck99

Sights and Sounds of Day 1 of the Pat Juckem era for Washington University in St. Louis Men's Basketball.

WATCH: https://youtu.be/XCXypEilzBQ

WUPHF

I am revisiting my posts from March and April on how the UAA might look in 2018-2019 including a list of key seniors and key players returning. I am sure I missed a player or two and for that I apologize.

Here are my rankings from March with one change (besides correcting a few clerical errors)--I moved NYU ahead of Carnegie Mellon though the Violets are going to have to replace a Division-class point guard.

I looked at these teams over and over and the only thing I can say with any confidence is that Emory, Rochester, Washington University and Chicago will finish 1-4 with Case Western Reserve just behind at No. 5.

I think an argument can be made in favor of any of the top teams, but I'll go with Emory for the moment.

Ultimately, the team that wins the league will be the team that gets big contributions from guys who averaged 5 to 10 to 15 minutes a season ago and likely a few newcomers as well.
4. Chicago
5. Case Western Reserve
6. NYU
7. Carnegie Mellon
8. Brandeis

Here is a look at the programs including key seniors lost to graduation and players who played significant minutes season:

Washington University 21-6, 12-2 UAA
Key seniors: Andrew Sanders, Matt Highsmith, Jake Knupp, Kevin Kucera, David Schmelter.
Key players returning: Marcus Meyer, Matt Nester, Jack Nolan, Hank Hunter, DeVaughn Rucker.

Emory 19-8, 9-5 UAA
Key seniors:  Adam Gigax, Christopher Avant, Donald Avant, and Whit Rapp.
Key players returning: Romin Williams, Beau Bommarito, Matt Davet, Gebereal Baitey, Lawrence Rowley and Nick Stuck.

Rochester, 16-9, 7-7 UAA
Key seniors: Tucker Knox.
Key players returning: Jacob Wittig, Ryan Clamage, Michael Mangan, Patrick Benka, Brendan O'Shea, Alexander Gamble, and Andrew Lundstrom.

Chicago 13-12, 9-5 UAA
Key seniors: Jake Fenlon, Collin Barthel.
Key players returning: Noah Karras, Ryan Jacobson, Justin Jackson, Ryan Sustacek, Max Jacobs, Jake Berhorst, and Jordan Baum.

Case Western Reserve 12-13, 6-8 UAA
Key seniors: T.J. Duckett.
Key players returning: Connor Nally, Monty Khela, William FitzPatrick, Ignas Masiulionis, Sam Hansen, Michael Hollis, Michael Volkening.

NYU 10-14, 3-11 UAA
Key seniors: Ross Udine.
Key players returning: Ethan Feldman, Dom Cristiano, Jule Brown, Jimmy Martinelli, Cameron Moore, Doug Gertner, Ted Georgidadis.

Carnegie Mellon 7-18, 3-11 UAA
Key seniors: Ryan Maha.
Key players returning: Colin McNeil, Seth Henry, Zach Howarth, Patrick Ehland, Zach Watson, Trent Suddeth.

Brandeis 7-18, 3-11 UAA
Key seniors: Nate Meehan, Latye Workman.
Key players returning: Eric D'Aguanno, Jake Meehan, Laurence Sabir, Chandler Jones, Semih Say, Akim Sanni, and Collin Sawyer.

WUPHF

Incidentally, I was out sick for a few days last week, so I had time to watch a host of games from last year.  I was reminded of how critical David Schmelter was last season, especially in those moments when the Bears offense began to stall.  Andrew Sanders was definitely the player of the year, but Schmelter was arguably a close second.

hopefan

Quote from: WUPHF on October 16, 2018, 11:25:30 AM

Washington University 21-6, 12-2 UAA
Key seniors: Andrew Sanders, Matt Highsmith, Jake Knupp, Kevin Kucera, David Schmelter.

Coach Edwards picked the right year to retire!!! ;D ;D ;D ;) ;) ;)

Now Wupiff, I'm just teasing.... the bench was loaded last year.....
The only thing not to be liked in Florida is no D3 hoops!!!

Greek Tragedy

Good work WUPHF!

Fantasy question for you. Romin Williams, Clamage and Jack Nolan have been taken. I'm looking for the next best option to score me points this season. What are your thoughts?
Pointers
Breed of a Champion
2004, 2005, 2010 and 2015 National Champions

Fantasy Leagues Commissioner

TGHIJGSTO!!!

WUPHF

Quote from: Greek Tragedy on October 16, 2018, 01:17:44 PM
Fantasy question for you. Romin Williams, Clamage and Jack Nolan have been taken. I'm looking for the next best option to score me points this season. What are your thoughts?

Thanks and it is funny that you ask because if you had asked me this last season, my answer would have proved incorrect.

There are not a lot of obvious choices after the three you mentioned, but I have a few thoughts...

I have to think that Noah Karras is ready for a big senior campaign.  He was one of the best shooters in the league as a sophomore, but struggled at times last season.  He will be asked to do so much more with the graduation of Jake Fenlon.

I also think Matt Davet will be better than Adam Gigax and he will be starting in the front court this season.

Ethan Feldman may be the next proven performer, but you could look at guys such as Ignas Masiulionis, Ryan Jacobsen, and Laurence Sabir who was averaging almost 15 points per game before conference play began.

WUPHF

Quote from: hopefan on October 16, 2018, 12:39:47 PM
I'm just teasing.... the bench was loaded last year....

The last time Edwards lost a big senior class, his team went 15-10 but several were heartbreaking 2-3 point losses.  I definitely think you are right about the bench. 

Are you planning to be in town in December again?  Webster has a game with Missouri Baptist.  Did the Spartans used to play in the SLIAC?