2018 NCAA Tournament

Started by Ralph Turner, February 25, 2018, 07:33:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Quote from: augie77 on February 25, 2018, 10:56:03 PM
Who would have predicted that last place (8 seed) Berry would beat 7 seed Hendrix in the finals of the SAC Tournament to get to the dance?  The Maccabees prospects of getting a tournament win seem far greater than an 8-17 team advancing through the SAC to earn a Pool A spot.

How about a future Final Four with Yeshiva versus Calvin or Wheaton (no Sunday games allowed)?  How would the NCAA handle that?? ???

Calvin has forgone the Sunday limitation as has Hope and Messiah. I am not sure about Wheaton. However, in your very extreme hypothesis, the NCAA would know in advance and plan accordingly... I bet a Saturday/Monday would be put in place... though CBS Sports would be a bit ticked off.
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

FCGrizzliesGrad

Quote from: Dave 'd-mac' McHugh on February 25, 2018, 11:35:34 PM
Quote from: augie77 on February 25, 2018, 10:56:03 PM
Who would have predicted that last place (8 seed) Berry would beat 7 seed Hendrix in the finals of the SAC Tournament to get to the dance?  The Maccabees prospects of getting a tournament win seem far greater than an 8-17 team advancing through the SAC to earn a Pool A spot.

How about a future Final Four with Yeshiva versus Calvin or Wheaton (no Sunday games allowed)?  How would the NCAA handle that?? ???

Calvin has forgone the Sunday limitation as has Hope and Messiah. I am not sure about Wheaton. However, in your very extreme hypothesis, the NCAA would know in advance and plan accordingly... I bet a Saturday/Monday would be put in place... though CBS Sports would be a bit ticked off.
Wheaton doesn't play on Sunday, in football at least. Their game against North Central this year was delayed due to weather and they eventually stopped it at halftime late Saturday night when it was clear the game wouldn't finish before midnight then they resumed on Monday.
Football picker extraordinaire
5 titles: CCIW, NJAC
4x: ODAC:S
3x: ASC, IIAC, MIAA:S, NACC:S, NCAC, OAC:P, Nat'l
2x: HCAC, MIAC, ODAC:P, WIAC
1x: Bracket, OAC:S

Basketball
2013 WIAC Pickem Co-champ
2015 Nat'l Pickem
2017: LEC and MIAA Pickem
2019: MIAA and WIAC Pickem

Soccer
2023: Mens Pickem

deiscanton

Men's basketball selection show has been delayed 1/2 hour.

The show will now be at 1 PM Eastern on NCAA.com

nescac1

Wow is that Wittinberg/Augustana quarter of the bracket brutal ...

Smitty Oom

Another year of the west coast getting pitted against each other....

at Walla Walla Pod.

Whitman
Schriener

Whitworth
CMS

(509)Rat

QuoteWow is that Wittinberg/Augustana quarter of the bracket brutal ...

The other central/west quarter of the bracket says hi...

nescac1

Uhh, yeah.  The Whitman bracket is also brutal.  Not sure which of those two is tougher at first glance ...

Smitty Oom

Quote from: nescac1 on February 26, 2018, 01:28:30 PM
Uhh, yeah.  The Whitman bracket is also brutal.  Not sure which of those two is tougher at first glance ...

Im looking at each bracket and they are all so tough. Gosh I cant wait for some early March Madness!!

Just Bill

"That seems silly and pointless..." - Hoops Fan

The first and still most accurate description of the D3 Championship BeltTM thread.

Greek Tragedy

It's really disappointing that they couldn't split up Whitman and Whitworth. I failed geography, but did they fly LeTourneau out? I'm pretty sure Sul Ross State got flown out, though sending Whitworth or Whitman to Platteville or Emory would probably be harsh.

Of the tough 1st rounders, off the top of my head: Point v NCC, Plattsburgh v Nichols, Marietta v Oshkosh, Wooster v IWU...
Pointers
Breed of a Champion
2004, 2005, 2010 and 2015 National Champions

Fantasy Leagues Commissioner

TGHIJGSTO!!!

Ralph Turner

Quote from: Greek Tragedy on February 26, 2018, 08:37:56 PM
It's really disappointing that they couldn't split up Whitman and Whitworth. I failed geography, but did they fly LeTourneau out? I'm pretty sure Sul Ross State got flown out, though sending Whitworth or Whitman to Platteville or Emory would probably be harsh.

Of the tough 1st rounders, off the top of my head: Point v NCC, Plattsburgh v Nichols, Marietta v Oshkosh, Wooster v IWU...
LeTourneau is being flown to Atlanta (650 miles).

Only one South Region team is hosting the first weekend, Emory.

Ralph Turner

But, they get very winnable first round games and then get to play each other in a familiar venue where their fans can see the game.

I had hoped for a Texas sub-bracket but all three teams were flown out. Of course, I would be ecstatic if both SRSU and LeTU made it to the Sweet 16.  They have tough first round games.

I like both match-ups for contrast in styles... LeTU vs Hanover and SRSU versus St Olaf.

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

We were told on the Hoopsville special by the committee chair - NONE of the Texas schools filed to host. There were no hosting opportunities in Texas for the committee.
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

Ralph Turner

Greek, and anyone else who wants to comment,

I seek insight into your perceived strength of the Pool C's relative to the AQ's.

For arbitrary assignment, let's use the Hoopsville first 17 and then plug in the last 4 in any order.

1) In straight ranking, how many Pool A teams do you perceive are better than:

Hoopsville Pool C #1 Hamilton?

Hoopsville Pool C #8 Wooster?

Hoopsville Pool C #9 Marietta?

Hoopsville Pool C #14 UW-Oshkosh?

Hoopsville Pool C #17 IWU?

Hoopsville Pool C "#18 NCC" and assume they came off next.

I count that the 21 bids were allocated to the teams from 15 conferences, so bid #21 is theoretically, at best, 36th best team in the tourney. The Pool A bids from other 28 single bid conferences may or may not better than #36.

Is a good round number that Pool C bid #21, for example, Brockport is better than 15 or 20 of the Pool A bids?

Thanks to all.

Ralph Turner

Quote from: Dave 'd-mac' McHugh on February 26, 2018, 10:24:44 PM
We were told on the Hoopsville special by the committee chair - NONE of the Texas schools filed to host. There were no hosting opportunities in Texas for the committee.
Surprise,surprise, surprise!!!

Thanks Dave!  +1!

It's a bummer when your day job gets in the way of Hoopsville.

I will need to catch the podcast later in the week!