FB: Minnesota Intercollegiate Athletic Conference

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 05:19:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

art76 and 5 Guests are viewing this topic.

Mr.MIAC

Quote from: MiacMan on September 13, 2018, 12:00:32 PM
Quote from: art76 on September 13, 2018, 11:31:39 AM
Quote from: MiacMan on September 13, 2018, 11:26:56 AM
Hey it looks like Hamline has a pretty decent QB and a solid RB as well. Maybe they'll be able to hang with Tommies for a little while?  ;D
Until opening kick-off?

Poor Trinity didn't even make it through that play (opening kick-off). Just looking for game related topics to discuss. I think the Cobbers and Auggies is the most intriguing game this week. I believe the Cobbers will prevail but I have a feeling it's going to be a dogfight? Hope so anyway.

I think you (maybe inadvertently) touch on an important point. There's currently so little parity within the MIAC that many games aren't worth talking about.

I put nearly all UST games up on the television, but only "watch" the SJ2, Bethel, Concordia, and playoff games. The rest just play in the background while I'm trying to get things done around the house. I'm probably not alone in this regard.

I think it's difficult to get folks unaffiliated with MIAC schools interested in D3 football with this lack of parity. The blowout games just aren't that fun to watch.

I'm not sure how to fix the situation. What would happen if the MIAC and WIAC merged, and teams at the top/bottom end of each conference played each other throughout the season? UST, SJ2, Oshkosh, Whitewater, et al. would have stronger competition, helping them improve; teams on the bottom end wouldn't get embarrassed every other week; and fans would have far more interesting games to watch. Thoughts?

MadRedFan

Quote from: Pat Coleman on September 13, 2018, 12:20:29 PM
With excessive heat and humidity in Saturday's mid-day forecast, St. Thomas athletics director Steve Fritz has announced new starting times for three on-campus sports contests:

No. 3-ranked Tommie Football (1-0) will move back its 1:10 p.m. game against Hamline at Palmer Field to a 6 p.m. start;
No. 16-ranked Tommie Women's Soccer (4-1) will move up its 1 p.m. game against St. Benedict at South Field to a 10 a.m. start;
No. 4-ranked Tommie Men's Soccer (5-0) will shift back its 3:30 p.m. contest against St. John's at South Field to a 5 p.m. start.
New conference protocols prevent athletic competitions from starting or continuing if the heat and humidity index reaches a certain point, and mid-day conditions Saturday likely would cause delays if these games were kept at the regular starting times.

More . . . . comment on the SJU parents FB page from earlier today:

QuoteHave you heard the game may be delayed until later in the day? New MIAC rules to prevent heat stroke. I think they find out today but it's supposed to be hot and steamy on Saturday so I'm guessing it will be delayed.

MiacMan

Quote from: Reverend MIAC, PhD on September 13, 2018, 12:25:23 PM
Quote from: MiacMan on September 13, 2018, 12:00:32 PM
Quote from: art76 on September 13, 2018, 11:31:39 AM
Quote from: MiacMan on September 13, 2018, 11:26:56 AM
Hey it looks like Hamline has a pretty decent QB and a solid RB as well. Maybe they'll be able to hang with Tommies for a little while?  ;D
Until opening kick-off?

Poor Trinity didn't even make it through that play (opening kick-off). Just looking for game related topics to discuss. I think the Cobbers and Auggies is the most intriguing game this week. I believe the Cobbers will prevail but I have a feeling it's going to be a dogfight? Hope so anyway.

I think you (maybe inadvertently) touch on an important point. There's currently so little parity within the MIAC that many games aren't worth talking about.

I put nearly all UST games up on the television, but only "watch" the SJ2, Bethel, Concordia, and playoff games. The rest just play in the background while I'm trying to get things done around the house. I'm probably not alone in this regard.

I think it's difficult to get folks unaffiliated with MIAC schools interested in D3 football with this lack of parity. The blowout games just aren't that fun to watch.

I'm not sure how to fix the situation. What would happen if the MIAC and WIAC merged, and teams at the top/bottom end of each conference played each other throughout the season? UST, SJ2, Oshkosh, Whitewater, et al. would have stronger competition, helping them improve; teams on the bottom end wouldn't get embarrassed every other week; and fans would have far more interesting games to watch. Thoughts?

Yeah, something like that would be fun and make some sense but with automatic bids and travel etc. it would be nearly impossible to make it work. It would be nice if they could take the automatic bid with giving that super conference 2 bids (plus probably deserving of 2 at-large-bids) That however would open up a whole other can of worms and there would be complaints across the entire country. Yep, not gonna happen.

DuffMan

With excessive heat and humidity in Saturday's mid-day forecast, St. Thomas athletics director Steve Fritz has announced new starting times for three on-campus sports contests:

I wonder when the rest of the MIAC will follow suit.

A tradition unrivaled...
MIAC Champions: 1932, 1935, 1936, 1938, 1953, 1962, 1963, 1965, 1971, 1974, 1975, 1976, 1977, 1979, 1982, 1985, 1989, 1991, 1993, 1994, 1995, 1996, 1998, 1999, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2008, 2009, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2021, 2022
National Champions: 1963, 1965, 1976, 2003

Pat Coleman

Quote from: DuffMan on September 13, 2018, 03:06:01 PM

I wonder when the rest of the MIAC will follow suit.

I stopped by the conference office to have a conversation with Dan McKane for tomorrow's podcast. He fully expects other events will be updated.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

USTBench

Honestly, the MIAC's new policy is not a bad idea in the slightest and if we're using common sense should be lauded as intelligent and more conferences should follow suit.

The whole "FOOTBAWWW IS GETTING TOO SOFT" argument pretty much stops with me at heat stroke and dehydration deaths. Just ask the kids at Maryland if they think this is a bad idea.

Pushing the kick-off back 5 hours is not ideal, but there are kids that will be on the field for 50-60 plays on Saturday and some of the bigger boys can and will lose about 10 to 15lbs in water weight. I think if it was your kid out there you'd probably prefer it.

Augsburg University: 2021 MIAC Spring Football Champions

MiacMan

Does anyone know if WCCO will still be broadcasting the game with the change of time?

sjujohnnie

Does anyone happen to have a link that they could share regarding the subscription to be able to view the St John's home games this season online? I live a little over 5 hours away so at most only get to 3 Johnnie football games each year. Thank you! Love that watching them online is an option, however, it would be nice if it remained free!

art76

You don't have a soul. You are a soul.
You have a body. - C.S. Lewis

dwstoner

OzJohnnie

[  

OzJohnnie

Quote from: MadRedFan on September 13, 2018, 01:38:39 PM

No. 3-ranked Tommie Football (1-0) will move back its 1:10 p.m. game against Hamline at Palmer Field to a 6 p.m. start;
No. 16-ranked Tommie Women's Soccer (4-1) will move up its 1 p.m. game against St. Benedict at South Field to a 10 a.m. start;
No. 4-ranked Tommie Men's Soccer (5-0) will shift back its 3:30 p.m. contest against St. John's at South Field to a 5 p.m. start.
New conference protocols prevent athletic competitions from starting or continuing if the heat and humidity index reaches a certain point, and mid-day conditions Saturday likely would cause delays if these games were kept at the regular starting times.

More . . . . comment on the SJU parents FB page from earlier today:

QuoteHave you heard the game may be delayed until later in the day? New MIAC rules to prevent heat stroke. I think they find out today but it's supposed to be hot and steamy on Saturday so I'm guessing it will be delayed.

This will destroy attendance.  It's an unnecessary rule (there are physio staff on hand, right?  And they can monitor the players, no?) and it will kill sports atmosphere in the MIAC.  The conference is run by idiots.
[  

OzJohnnie

Quote from: USTBench on September 13, 2018, 03:14:09 PM
Honestly, the MIAC's new policy is not a bad idea in the slightest and if we're using common sense should be lauded as intelligent and more conferences should follow suit.

The whole "FOOTBAWWW IS GETTING TOO SOFT" argument pretty much stops with me at heat stroke and dehydration deaths. Just ask the kids at Maryland if they think this is a bad idea.

Pushing the kick-off back 5 hours is not ideal, but there are kids that will be on the field for 50-60 plays on Saturday and some of the bigger boys can and will lose about 10 to 15lbs in water weight. I think if it was your kid out there you'd probably prefer it.

Yeah, kids have been dying like flies across the MIAC for 80 years. It's a travesty that it hasn't been addressed until now.  Also, all team health staff are incompetent in the MIAC and are unable to recognise the signed of heat issues.

Nope. It's rediculous.  Pinheads sitting at desks solving problems that don't exist with solutions that destroy the very thing they were meant to save.  Reason has left the MIAC administration.
[  

OzJohnnie

Quote from: sjujohnnie on September 13, 2018, 04:18:24 PM
Does anyone happen to have a link that they could share regarding the subscription to be able to view the St John's home games this season online? I live a little over 5 hours away so at most only get to 3 Johnnie football games each year. Thank you! Love that watching them online is an option, however, it would be nice if it remained free!

Follow the link to the video stream of a Johnnie home game from www.gojohnnies.com.  That takes you to stretch where you can sign up and start watching. :)
[  

BDB

The 2 times I pulled up the SJU-Stout game on the iHeart radio app the game was in a "hydration break."

Then they would say the score and I was the one that needed a drink!  ;D