FB: Minnesota Intercollegiate Athletic Conference

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 05:19:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

OzJohnnie

Good ideas that come far short of “Let’s make it impossible to sustain a family atmosphere, tailgating, reunions and campus culture around a major event” are:

@ mandatory heat training for all physio and coaching staff
@ in game heat treatment protocols
@ mandatory number of big fans with water sprayers on the sidelines per player suited up

There are a large number of effective steps which can be taken before we get to stabbing a fun-dagger in the heart of the very reason people play at all.  Come back to me when a single MIAC players’ health has been ignored.

The world is filling with virtue-surfing control-freaks who are determined to control every little random element of life. I can’t wait until their day has passed and they just back the **** off and let people live. Especially when it deals with football.

[  

Pat Coleman

Knowing there would be interesting reactions, I got an interview with Dan McKane, and it will be in tomorrow's podcast.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

Mr.MIAC

Quote from: Pat Coleman on September 13, 2018, 07:12:49 PM
Knowing there would be interesting reactions, I got an interview with Dan McKane, and it will be in tomorrow's podcast.

Based on some of the comments here, you'd think these kids were being paid for services rendered. Since some people here like to reference antiquity, here's something to think about. Question: How did we as a society move from gladiatorial combat to the sport of today? Answer: Incrementally...

jim comet

WCCO announced that due to the Twins game being on WCCO at that time 102.9 kickin' country would broadcast the Tommies game. Jim

sjujohnnie

Thank you, Oz! I really like listening to Mark Lewandowski's radio call of the game, but it's also behind the video feed. Could we be fortunate enough that paying for the subscription to view the Johnnie home games would get his radio call in sync with the video feed?

sjusection105

As of now they're on DOUBLE SECRET Probation!

MadRedFan

Quote from: OzJohnnie on September 13, 2018, 06:07:30 PM
Good ideas that come far short of "Let's make it impossible to sustain a family atmosphere, tailgating, reunions and campus culture around a major event" are:

@ mandatory heat training for all physio and coaching staff
@ in game heat treatment protocols
@ mandatory number of big fans with water sprayers on the sidelines per player suited up

There are a large number of effective steps which can be taken before we get to stabbing a fun-dagger in the heart of the very reason people play at all.  Come back to me when a single MIAC players' health has been ignored.

The world is filling with virtue-surfing control-freaks who are determined to control every little random element of life. I can't wait until their day has passed and they just back the **** off and let people live. Especially when it deals with football.

I agree with the general sentiment here.  As we sat at the Johnnie game vs. Stout, and they had the mandatory "breaks" due to heat, all of us in the stands, the "blue hairs" and the rest all had to sit there in the sun and wait.  The players all had to stand there, or kneel, in the sun, and  . . . . . wait.  For what?  Hard to believe this is an issue that the conference - meaning all the brain power at all the schools - felt the need to deal with.  What's the problem?  What injuries or concerns have arisen in the past?  Players are gassed in the weather??  Send in the second string, isn't that what they're there for??  It was odd, that's for sure.

miac952

Quote from: sjusection105 on September 13, 2018, 08:54:29 PM
Game notes are up
https://athletics.blog.gustavus.edu/files/2018/09/091518_Gustavus_GameNotes.pdf

No word yet on alternate start time.

I think Gustavus is hoping for a miracle early touchdown followed by the mercury hitting that magic number so they can call it a day and sneak away with a win.

RoyalsFan

Quote from: MiacMan on September 10, 2018, 09:10:43 AM
Hey, was anybody at the Bethel game Saturday? The score was tight and I was expecting more of a convincing win? Any insight here? Was the score indicative of the game? Or was Bethel "snake bitten" which kept it close?

Sorry for this being late - haven't been on the site for a while. I was at the game and the score was definitely a lot closer than it should have been. As Art pointed out, Roste had to come out early in the 2nd half because of cramps in both calves and Marsh has a sore throwing hand. Roste looks good and looks to be the qb going forward and should be ok with the week off. But Bethel missed a couple of extra points and at least one 2 point conversion and passed up a chip shot field goal from the 4 on 4th down and turned it over (probably because of the 2 missed extra points). The defense played good for the most part but gave up a couple of big plays including a long kickoff return and 2 long td passes. The defense also had several holding/pi calls on 3rd down that kept drives alive. But RF never gave up and kept it close at the end.

OzJohnnie

Quote from: Reverend MIAC, PhD on September 13, 2018, 07:26:30 PM
Quote from: Pat Coleman on September 13, 2018, 07:12:49 PM

Based on some of the comments here, you'd think these kids were being paid for services rendered. Since some people here like to reference antiquity, here's something to think about. Question: How did we as a society move from gladiatorial combat to the sport of today? Answer: Incrementally...

Ha!  So the choice is either the complete pussification of football or gladiatorial death matches. There is no other discussion possible?  UST may not have done much to provide a broad liberal, classical education but the certainly seemed to do ok with the hyperbole.
[  

OzJohnnie

Kudos to Jackson Erdmann.

ERDMANN NAMED TO ALLSTATE AFCA GOOD WORKS TEAM

Saint John's University junior quarterback Jackson Erdmann (Rosemount, Minn.) was named one of 22 student-athletes, across all divisions of college football, to the 2018 Allstate American Football Coaches Association (AFCA) Good Works Team on Thursday, Sept. 13.
[  

OzJohnnie

Quote from: sjujohnnie on September 13, 2018, 08:42:18 PM
Thank you, Oz! I really like listening to Mark Lewandowski's radio call of the game, but it's also behind the video feed. Could we be fortunate enough that paying for the subscription to view the Johnnie home games would get his radio call in sync with the video feed?

No worries, happy to help.  I didn't think the radio call was also behind the paywall, but no fear; it's still available by other means (I'm pretty sure as I haven't checked them at game time yet this year).  You have multiple stations on the Johnnie Football Radio Network that also broadcast over the internets.  You can get a live feed from these:

http://www.660wbhr.com/  (the mothership)
https://www.wdgyradio.com/
http://theradiotrain.com/

When on the road I listen to the call on my iPhone using an app called TuneIn (https://itunes.apple.com/au/app/tunein-radio/id418987775?mt=8).  It has the WDGY broadcast.

And if you lose this reference one year and need to do it all over again, just Google for the Johnnie Football Radio Network and it will lead you this page:

https://www.gojohnnies.com/sports/2014/7/1/GENERAL_0701143520.aspx

EDIT: I also prefer Mark's call so when the Johnnies are away I'll play the away video on mute and the WBHR livestream from the website.
[  

Pat Coleman

Dan McKane's take on the conference's new weather guidelines is in the opening segment of our podcast. (First 12 minutes.)

http://www.d3blogs.com/d3football/2018/09/14/atn-podcast-203-feeling-the-heat-in-week-3/
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

faunch

Word is that SJU @ Gus Davis might be played at 10 am. A decision will be made by noon today.

"I'm a uniter...not a divider."

OzJohnnie

Quote from: faunch on September 14, 2018, 07:51:32 AM
Word is that SJU @ Gus Davis might be played at 10 am. A decision will be made by noon today.

Did the away team travel last night?  Sheesh.
[