FB: College Conference of Illinois and Wisconsin

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 05:04:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

formerd3db

Quote from: Gregory Sager on February 22, 2018, 03:34:18 PM
Yes, his job changes are coming more quickly than is the norm.
Quote from: izzy stradlin on February 22, 2018, 03:12:47 PM
Quote from: Gregory Sager on February 22, 2018, 01:43:47 PM
http://www.ualbanysports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=70366&SPID=8009&DB_LANG=C&ATCLID=211694930&DB_OEM_ID=15800

Another job change-- I think he is establishing a pattern here and not a good one.

Thanks for the update guys (and the interesting "inside" Wrigley story Gregory :)).  From reviewing the Fordham football website, it appears Davis got caught in the coaching change when the new HC came from Yale and brought in some of his buddies.

Regardless, as you all have mentioned, unfortunately, for a good number of assistant coaches, their careers are "nomadic" with many changes.  That can be "okay" for some of them if they are single, yet obviously more difficult for those who are married.  Another example (one of many) is Dan Enos.  Look at his resume-he has hardly stayed in one place for an extended time (other than his HC stint at Central and Arkansas). 

BTW, Albany has made quite the stride in the past couple of decades going from DII to an FCS program (and a new 7500 seat huge very nice stadium).

(Edit was for spelling correction :-[ :))
"When the Great Scorer comes To mark against your name, He'll write not 'won' or 'lost', But how you played the game." - Grantland Rice

Gregory Sager

Quote from: formerd3db on February 23, 2018, 09:03:56 PM
BTW, Albany has made quite the stride in the past couple of decades going from DII to an FCS program (and a new 7500 seat huge very nice stadium).

Albany was actually in D3 for a couple of decades as a member of the SUNYAC.
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

formerd3db

Quote from: Gregory Sager on February 23, 2018, 10:22:41 PM
Quote from: formerd3db on February 23, 2018, 09:03:56 PM

Albany was actually in D3 for a couple of decades as a member of the SUNYAC.

Indeed.  Which, in one aspect, makes their transition to FCS somewhat more impressive, I guess. 
"When the Great Scorer comes To mark against your name, He'll write not 'won' or 'lost', But how you played the game." - Grantland Rice

USee

Just found out Mike Murray has left as DC at North Central. Off to Robert Morris

http://www.rmueagles.com/coach/0/4

CardinalAlum

Quote from: USee on March 03, 2018, 06:32:01 PM
Just found out Mike Murray has left as DC at North Central. Off to Robert Morris

Seems to be a lateral move.  Puzzling.  Look for a new DC this week, possibly with a familiar name to NCC fans.
D3 National Champions 2019 & 2022  ** D3 National Champions 2019 & 2022  **   D3 National Champions 2019 & 2022  **  D3 National Champions 2019 & 2022  **  D3 National Champions 2019 & 2022  **  D3 National Champions 2019 & 2022  **  D3 National Champions 2019 & 2022  **  D3 National Champions 2019 & 2022  **  D3 National Champions 2019 2022

GoIrish7

Sounds like it will be a very familiar name!  8-) 8-) NCC does a great job of keeping alumni with pride in their school around! Guys that love their school and will work their butt off for it. Is it football season yet?

Quote from: CardinalAlum on March 04, 2018, 06:58:29 PM
Quote from: USee on March 03, 2018, 06:32:01 PM

Seems to be a lateral move.  Puzzling.  Look for a new DC this week, possibly with a familiar name to NCC fans.

Dennis_Prikkel

Story in the March 16 issue of the Daily Herald that the "hazed" football player is now suing both Wheaton College and head coach Doug Swider for "ignoring" the long standing hazing in the football program.
I am determined to be wise, but this was beyond me.

Gregory Sager

"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

izzy stradlin

Quote from: Gregory Sager on March 16, 2018, 08:03:19 PM
http://www.dailyherald.com/news/20180316/lawsuit-wheaton-college-football-coach-ignored-hazing

I figured that's where this was going.   

I'm not surprised that Noah Spielman (son Chris Spielman--Fox Sports/Detroit Lions) is not named in the above lawsuit.  This kid and his lawyer are going after the Spielman family for much more money:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/breaking/ct-met-wheaton-college-hazing-lawsuit-20180315-story.html

izzy stradlin

Quote from: izzy stradlin on March 17, 2018, 12:41:19 AM
http://www.dailyherald.com/news/20180316/lawsuit-wheaton-college-football-coach-ignored-hazing

I'm not surprised that Noah Spielman (son Chris Spielman--Fox Sports/Detroit Lions) is not named in the above lawsuit.  This kid and his lawyer are going after the Spielman family for much more money:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/breaking/ct-met-wheaton-college-hazing-lawsuit-20180315-story.html

They say the best things in life are free, but you can give them to the birds and bees........

Gregory Sager

Quote from: izzy stradlin on March 17, 2018, 12:41:19 AM

I was baffled by it at first, because I was under the impression that filing a lawsuit was something that typically didn't happen until the criminal phase of the matter had been adjudicated, a la the O.J. Simpson case regarding the killing of his wife Nicole. Why would Nagy file suit before the criminal trials had even begun? But then the article mentioned that Monday (the second anniversary of the incident) is the terminus of the statute of limitations for civil litigation. In other words, Nagy filed the lawsuit on Friday because he's up against the deadline to do so.

Quote from: izzy stradlin on March 17, 2018, 12:41:19 AMI'm not surprised that Noah Spielman (son Chris Spielman--Fox Sports/Detroit Lions) is not named in the above lawsuit.  This kid and his lawyer are going after the Spielman family for much more money:

I didn't get that impression from the article. Here's the money quote, if you'll pardon the pun:

QuoteThe fifth charged player, Noah Spielman, 21, was not named as a defendant in the lawsuit. Ekl said his client has ongoing settlement discussions with Spielman and both sides agreed to a 30-day extension to Monday's one-year statute of limitations for litigation. Spielman is the son of TV analyst and former NFL All-Pro linebacker Chris Spielman.

The fact that Nagy's lawyer and Spielman's lawyer are in settlement discussions and have mutually agreed to a 30-day extension of the statute of limitations leads me to read this paragraph as meaning that the Spielmans are looking to cut a deal with Nagy, rather than casting their lot with the other seven Wheaton players named in the civil suit.

Nothing's more serious than felony charges, but the other complaint put forth in the suit -- that against Wheaton College itself -- is, to my mind, an even more serious accusation than the seven $50,000 complaints against the individual Wheaton players, and not because of the $1m-plus in damages sought from the school. This lawsuit has some grave implications for Wheaton's reputation in general and for the school's football program and coaching staff specifically. Again, to quote from the Trib article:

QuoteHazing was "an open secret at Wheaton College, a practice well-established and long-standing within the Wheaton College football program, handed down from class to class while the head coach and other adults, aware of the practice, looked the other way in disregard of the health and safety of players," attorney Terry Ekl, who filed the suit on behalf of Nagy, said in a statement Friday.

Wheaton College allowed the hazing practice as a "means of building character and a perceived unity within the team," Ekl said.

That's an incredibly serious accusation that casts severe aspersions upon Mike Swider and the entire Wheaton football program, and the school by extension, and makes this matter much bigger than the transgressions of a handful of players in the course of a single spring evening two years ago.

izzy stradlin

There was a different allegation or two against Spielman (I believe a slightly different finding in the Wheaton investigation also).  The Spielmans settling doesn't mean it won't be for a much different and undisclosed dollar amount.

izzy stradlin

Agree you with on the seriousness of the allegations systemically against Wheaton and Swider, Greg.  I can tell you first hand, as someone who roomed with football players at Wheaton and witnessed these "hazing events" that the allegations are beyond ridiculous.  Don't have time now but I'll go into more detail later.

Gregory Sager

Quote from: izzy stradlin on March 17, 2018, 07:16:18 PM
There was a different allegation or two against Spielman (I believe a slightly different finding in the Wheaton investigation also).  The Spielmans settling doesn't mean it won't be for a much different and undisclosed dollar amount.

I didn't realize that there was a distinction between Spielman and the other players made in the allegations, although I have a vague recollection of his name being highlighted with regard to this incident somewhere along the line. But that would seem to indicate that he's been singled out by Nagy's lawyer for something other than his father's deep pockets, wouldn't it?

USee

Quote from: Gregory Sager on March 17, 2018, 02:34:13 PM
Nothing's more serious than felony charges, but the other complaint put forth in the suit -- that against Wheaton College itself -- is, to my mind, an even more serious accusation than the seven $50,000 complaints against the individual Wheaton players, and not because of the $1m-plus in damages sought from the school. This lawsuit has some grave implications for Wheaton's reputation in general and for the school's football program and coaching staff specifically. Again, to quote from the Trib article:

QuoteHazing was "an open secret at Wheaton College, a practice well-established and long-standing within the Wheaton College football program, handed down from class to class while the head coach and other adults, aware of the practice, looked the other way in disregard of the health and safety of players," attorney Terry Ekl, who filed the suit on behalf of Nagy, said in a statement Friday.

Wheaton College allowed the hazing practice as a "means of building character and a perceived unity within the team," Ekl said.

That's an incredibly serious accusation that casts severe aspersions upon Mike Swider and the entire Wheaton football program, and the school by extension, and makes this matter much bigger than the transgressions of a handful of players in the course of a single spring evening two years ago.

If any of his is proven true, Greg, then I may agree. What's pretty clear now is the underlying motivation for Nagy, from the beginning, is a smear campaign of a reputable school, coach and students with the motivation of a money grab. Now that his name is out and the true intentions of this action are clear, the gloves are off and I suspect we will see a more aggressive defense from the college that reveals more of the facts.