WBB: College Conference of Illinois and Wisconsin

Started by wheatonc, March 03, 2005, 06:18:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr. Ypsi

At the half in Chicago, NPU leads IWU, 43-31.  It seems strange to say that the first place team, at home no less, leading the second place team would be an upset, but since the Titans won their first meeting by 31 points, I would call it at least a mild upset if things don't change.

Jayla Johnson already has 17 points.  Kendall Sosa scored ZERO in Q1, but now has nine.

Gregory Sager is, as usual, excellent on the PBP.  A bit of a homer, but that is to be expected, and not to the degree that even my green blood is at all offended!

Gregory Sager

North Park 77
Illinois Wesleyan 64

Driver's seat, baby!
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

Mr. Ypsi

Apparently home court is worth at least 44 points this season!  In B'town, IWU won by 31.  In Chicago, NPU won by 13. :o

iwu70

Congrats to NPU for the big win over the Titans tonight, first in 15 years.   And, definitely in the driver's seat now, as Greg says.

NPU:
Jayla Johnson, making her case for MOP, 23
Czuhajewski 14
Newsome 13
Summerville 10 rebounds

IWU:
Sosa 19
Shanks 12
Brovelli 10, but in foul trouble
Lansford 10
Lowis 10 rebounds

NPU playing tough, leading throughout.  IWU a poor shooting night 30% from the field, only 50% from the FT line.  That was the downfall, IMHO.  Couldn't climb back without making some shots, esp. FTs. 

All credit to NPU for their big win tonight.  They are in great position now for the regular season championship.

Good call, Greg, I enjoyed your expert and correct commentary, all evening.   

IWU '70

GoPerry

Gutty win by the Lady Vikes tonight.  Every time IWU tried to make a comeback, NPU would make a key basket or play.

Jayla Johnson with 23 pts before fouling out on a weird offensive foul (deadball I think?).  But it was a big team effort and team win. 

Kind of a strange game stat-wise.  The Titans had 21 more shot attempts than the Vikes (70 vs 49) partially because of being +13 on the offensive glass, 18-5.  But the home team shot 55% from the field 27/49 while the visitors really struggled shooting 30%, 21/70.  Park also out-rebounded the Titans overall 46-42. 

Sosa led IWU with 19 pts.

If there was any doubt before about NPU, there shouldn't be now.  Nice weeknight crowd in the 'Box too it looked to me.

Gregory Sager

NPU 77, IWU 64

Jayla Johnson: 23 pts
Emily Czuhajewski: 14 pts (4-8 trey)
Zakiya Newsome: 13 pts
Josie Summerville: 10 rebs
Jacki Rapp: 7 rebs

Kendall Sosa: 19 pts
Sydney Shanks: 14 pts, 4 stls
Riley Brovelli: 10 pts, 8 rebs
Brooke Lansford: 10 pts
Anna Lowis: 10 rebs

In front of a raucous crowd in the crackerbox, an energized Vikings team tied up the high-powered Titans offense in knots tonight. IWU shot only 30% from the field, and, although Kendall Sosa carried her team in the fourth quarter and kept the Titans within remote hailing distance, she shot only 6-18 from the field to get her 19 points. Sinead Molloy, who didn't do much on the stat sheet but who was a vital presence in this game, did a great job at the defensive end, as did Jacki Rapp. Zakiya Newsome was her usual hard-nosed self, and Lauryn Alba Garner had the crowd oohing and aahing with the way that she dribbled through Titans backcourt traps. Jayla Johnson was the key to the first half, in which she scored 17 of her 23 points.

The Titans got a nice defensive and rebounding effort from Anna Lowis off the bench tonight, but she just does not provide the offensive presence that Riley Brovelli does, and Brovelli was limited to only 22 minutes because of foul trouble.

NPU now has a two-game lead over second-place Wheaton, with the win at King Arena last month securely in Amanda Crockett's back pocket. IWU drops to third, a half-game in the win column behind Wheaton.

Great night at the ol' crackerbox!
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

GoPerry

Wheaton 74, Millikin 61

Good comeback win for Wheaton to keep the momentum.  The Lady Thunder came out ice cold in the first half tonight going  10/36 (27.7%) from the field and 2/12 from three.  Meanwhile the Big Blue shot out of the gate with really good energy and led by as much as 7 and went into halftime up 31-26.  But Wheaton entered the 3rd with guns blazing outscoring MU 26-10 in the third and then cruised to the victory from there.

Hannah Frazier was herself with 21 pts, 7 rebs, 5 blks before fouling out.  But the 1st team All CCIW player Jordan Myroth showed up tonight and was the spark off the bench for her team.  She finished with 8 pts, 6 rebs, 4 asst(1 to) and was all over the floor playing great defense.  It might have been her best game yet this season. 

Freshman Abby Ratsch had her best game of the season for Millikin - 22 pts, 10 rebs, 2 blks, 3 stls.  Aubrey Staton with 11 was the only other in double figures.

Wheaton's won 4 in a row now and is getting a bit of a head of steam.  With NPU's win, the Thunder have to keep winning.

gordonmann

No Top 25 votes, but how about the headline for our Wednesday night coverage instead?

https://www.d3hoops.com/notables/2020/01/wrapup-women-0129

Gregory Sager

Quote from: Mr. Ypsi on January 29, 2020, 08:53:08 PM
At the half in Chicago, NPU leads IWU, 43-31.  It seems strange to say that the first place team, at home no less, leading the second place team would be an upset, but since the Titans won their first meeting by 31 points, I would call it at least a mild upset if things don't change.

I agree. As I said here the other day, Massey had the Titans as a four-point favorite tonight. There's more than enough data at this point in the season for Massey predictions to be on solid ground as far as his predictive algorithm is concerned.

Quote from: Mr. Ypsi on January 29, 2020, 08:53:08 PMGregory Sager is, as usual, excellent on the PBP.  A bit of a homer, but that is to be expected, and not to the degree that even my green blood is at all offended!

Quote from: iwu70 on January 29, 2020, 09:56:04 PM
Good call, Greg, I enjoyed your expert and correct commentary, all evening. 

Thank you, gentlemen. I strive to be what I call a "fair homer" in my calls. In terms of content, I aim to be as scrupulously honest and accurate as possible. For instance, tonight it looked from my angle that Emily Czuhajewski got away with a hack on an Amy Lowis layup attempt, and I went on for a good five or six seconds about how I thought that the refs blew that non-call. If NPU as individuals or a team makes a mistake or plays poorly, I'm going to mention it. Conversely, if the opponent makes good plays as an individual or team, I'm going to point that out as well.

In terms of tone ... well, I am "the Voice of the Vikings," after all, and I make no apology for my enthusiasm when things go right for the Park. If the NPU athletic department had wanted someone to call games right down the middle in terms of being non-partisan, then they wouldn't have asked me, of all people, to sit behind the mic. ;)

Quote from: gordonmann on January 29, 2020, 11:56:13 PM
No Top 25 votes, but how about the headline for our Wednesday night coverage instead?

https://www.d3hoops.com/notables/2020/01/wrapup-women-0129

Front page! Nice!

Gregory Sager

One last thing I'll say about the Vikings earning the season split tonight, and that's that a bad night is a bad night. It's not necessarily a definitive statement, especially if it comes early in the conference season. As I said before, NPU wasn't 31 points worse than IWU any more than Wheaton is 9 points worse than Carroll. The Vikings had a very poor outing on January 8 at Shirk, and the Titans had a great one. It didn't set anything in stone as far as the outcome of tonight's game was concerned. And if these two teams should meet again at the end of February ... who knows?

Gregory Sager

Carroll smacked Carthage around but good tonight at Van Male, 91-55. If you had told me before the season started that at some point this season the Pioneers would beat the Lady Reds by 36 points, I would've told you that you were insane. Due to all of his team's injuries, Tim Bernero is just forced to give away too many minutes to players who most likely really aren't ready for CCIW play yet.

Augustana cruised to an easy 75-56 road win in Elmhurst over the reeling Bluejays in the other game.

RogK

in the Augie win :
Lauren Hall 18 pts including 5/7 from 3-land; Alexis Jones 11 pts, 10 rebs, 5 assists; Mia Lambert scored 13 from 8 FG att.
Elmhurst got 15 pts from Becca Gerke and 11 from Courtney O'Donnell; each had 5 rebs too

RogK

Yeah Carthage was on the receiving end of a 3-point barrage this time. Carroll made 16 (48 pts) from 31 3FG attempts. Eight Pios sank a 3.
Scoring included : Theresa Wichser 17, Alyssa Cruz 14, Katie Evans 13, Kate Christian 12, Sierra Grubor 10.
for the Lady Reds : Kelsey Coshun 4/5 2FG, 4/5 FT = 12 pts, also 5 rebs; Sammie Woodward 13 pts, Amanda Larson 11 pts.

RogK

I was at the Millikin-Wheaton rematch and was impressed by Hannah Frazier's nearly flawless performance, including superb defense vs Jordan Hildebrand. Most of the time, Frazier allowed her virtually no room in which to manoeuvre and also had 5 blocks and induced other turnovers. This is not meant to be criticism of Hildebrand's efforts, but rather more applause for Hannah. We know how quickly Jordan can pile up points.
Speaking of quick scoring, Hannah Swider tallied 13 in just 15:00. Jill Berg was very productive in her 17:00, with 12 pts, 9 rebs, 2 blocks. Myroth, by the way, could've made 3 or 4 more layups against shorter MU guards, but opted to dish off to open teammates.
Millikin needs to work on passing, as they continue to blow several possessions via dubious passes. Their defense isn't a finished product.
I continue to feel that Millikin's immediate future looks very promising, assuming the individuals continue to refine their games. That's not even counting additional help that may arrive next season.

GoPerry

Quote from: RogK on January 30, 2020, 02:11:36 AM
I was at the Millikin-Wheaton rematch and was impressed by Hannah Frazier's nearly flawless performance, including superb defense vs Jordan Hildebrand. Most of the time, Frazier allowed her virtually no room in which to manoeuvre and also had 5 blocks and induced other turnovers. This is not meant to be criticism of Hildebrand's efforts, but rather more applause for Hannah. We know how quickly Jordan can pile up points.
Speaking of quick scoring, Hannah Swider tallied 13 in just 15:00. Jill Berg was very productive in her 17:00, with 12 pts, 9 rebs, 2 blocks. Myroth, by the way, could've made 3 or 4 more layups against shorter MU guards, but opted to dish off to open teammates.

In referencing Jordan Myroth earlier, I forgot to mention the terrific game contributed by Jill Berg.  Both of them have been noticeably more aggressive on the offensive end and have contributed to Wheaton's better scoring output.  Neither one is a particularly natural scorer or shooter like the Hannahs are.  But even if Myroth misses a layup or Berg doesn't convert a post up, their height advantage forces the defense to contend with that difficult matchup which gives more room for Frazier and the others.

Quote from: RogK on January 30, 2020, 02:11:36 AM

Millikin needs to work on passing, as they continue to blow several possessions via dubious passes. Their defense isn't a finished product.
I continue to feel that Millikin's immediate future looks very promising, assuming the individuals continue to refine their games. That's not even counting additional help that may arrive next season.

Agree Rog.  Millikin has put together a nice season so far.  They, like NPU, Illinois Wesleyan, North Central, Carroll, Elmhurst are returning almost everybody whereas Wheaton, Augustana and Carthage will get hurt by graduation.  Carthage really gets hit with Kalis, Woodward, Kaelber, Berrigan which makes this injury filled season so disappointing for the Lady Reds who are now questionable to even make the conference tournament.

Still a lot to play for with a tight race this season.  But next season will be even more so.