FB: Empire 8

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 04:58:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SJFF82

Quote from: Pat Coleman on October 29, 2014, 11:12:35 PM
Catholic was 4-6 in 1992 and was 5-5 the year before that so I can't imagine who would have nationally ranked them.

Catholic came into the 1995 season nationally ranked by SI, I believe.

How bad was Catholic in 1992? They lost to Swarthmore.

So that team went 4-6 and graduated a ton of guys, there were a lot of seniors on that team. I followed the team very closely as the student radio guy (dating me, I know). The next year, with a bunch of unproven guys, I wrote a preview for the student newspaper that said the team was going to struggle. Well, the head coach wasn't very fond of my take and called me and proceeded to rip me a new one for about 20 minutes the day the paper came out.

However, that team went 1-9, only beating Gallaudet, and the team finished the season with 30-some players and the coach was fired. His next call to me was him telling me that he'd been fired. The athletic director was trying to hold the news in because the following day was the last newspaper edition of the fall semester, but I got the story because the coach told me on the record he was canned. :)

Anyway -- good times, but no way that 1992 team was legitimately ranked. Gotta love the D-III dark ages. Probably Dan & Peggy Shonka's preview or Don Hansen.

Yes...it was '95....we won at Catholic to move to 6-0. They were 4-1 going in I think.  But I do recall them being ranked by SI as you stated...now I'm trying to think who we beat in 92 opener...?

Pat Coleman

You were Catholic's opener in 1992 so Catholic was probably Fisher's opener, too. But I'm just saying any preseason ranking was specious at best and I don't even see it in my 1992 media guide.

I took the bus to Fisher in 1994 as assistant SID and that was a battle of unbeatens. One or both of us may have been in the Football Gazette ranking. And I sang the national anthem. :)
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

boobyhasgameyo

Quote from: SJFF82 on October 29, 2014, 11:05:07 PM
Quote from: boobyhasgameyo on October 29, 2014, 03:18:44 PM
Yeah, Fisher won like 4 games in the 1990's.  Everybody got their licks in that decade, up until 2002.

SJFF went 21-17 from 92-95

....with an asterisk....the 7-3 '95 campaign was wiped out 1 yr later due to an NCAA eligibilty violation

We beat nationally ranked Catholic in 92 and Nationally ranked RPI in 93

Had a nationally ranked defense in '93 and '94

It was the next 4-5 yrs that we won "4 games"....literally

:)

Actually '82 I did think of you when I wrote that, because I remember you saying Fisher had a decent period before becoming a doormat in the late 90's.  I was mainly just saying it to illustrate to Bartman that beating Fisher in 97,98,99,00,01 was something that literally almost everyone did.  In the world of what have you done for me lately, Fisher has a decided edge over Hobart, save for the regular season matchup in 2011.

Also, Pat singing the national anthem?  That is awesome. 

Pat Coleman

Yep -- actually, also sang the anthem at the men's basketball sectional that SJF hosted in 2007. :)
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

fisheralum91

This is like a nice trip down memory lane!
Tho I was out of Rochester by 91......
Knew a few guys on that 92 team tho.

ITH radio

Pep -

I met some alums from the Classes of 72-75 in early Sept at a reception on campus the night before the Dickinson game. During the party they put on some old game film vs. Alfred from like the 1970 or 71 season. Both teams were dressed in either all orange or purple. Quite a sight!

Speaking of the national anthem, I sang it at the HOB game on 9/6 and blew out the PA.... :-X (doh)

Follow us on twitter @D3FBHuddle

fisheralum91

ExTartanPlayer

Quote from: Pat Coleman on October 29, 2014, 11:58:30 PM
You were Catholic's opener in 1992 so Catholic was probably Fisher's opener, too. But I'm just saying any preseason ranking was specious at best and I don't even see it in my 1992 media guide.

I took the bus to Fisher in 1994 as assistant SID and that was a battle of unbeatens. One or both of us may have been in the Football Gazette ranking. And I sang the national anthem. :)

Can we get a sample of the Pat anthem on next week's ATN podcast?
I was small but made up for it by being slow...

http://athletics.cmu.edu/sports/fball/2011-12/releases/20120629a4jaxa

AUPepBand

Quote from: SJFF82 on October 29, 2014, 11:05:07 PM
Quote from: boobyhasgameyo on October 29, 2014, 03:18:44 PM
Yeah, Fisher won like 4 games in the 1990's.  Everybody got their licks in that decade, up until 2002.

SJFF went 21-17 from 92-95

....with an asterisk....the 7-3 '95 campaign was wiped out 1 yr later due to an NCAA eligibilty violation

We beat nationally ranked Catholic in 92 and Nationally ranked RPI in 93

Had a nationally ranked defense in '93 and '94

It was the next 4-5 yrs that we won "4 games"....literally

:)

The Saxons looked to have a promising season in 1995 after WR-turned-QB Scooter Hendrick led AU to a 6-3-1 season in 1994 including a season-ending bizarre 35-29 win over Catholic (the last two bizarre minutes professionally called play-by-play by Pat Coleman over the phone to Pep who had called the press box for an update), thus ending Catholic's post-seaosn hopes.

Krumie Mabry was listed as a pre-season All-American  at AU in 1995....except he and his cousin Scooter, two Rochester boys, likely not impressed with the Mayberry night life, "bolted" to St. John Fisher in the off-season. Pep was on the sideline lawn (they didn't have bleachers at Fisher for the visitors[?]) when the Cardinals beat AU 52-35, only to forfeit later because of an ineligible player.

Stay tuned....Pep's trips down Memory Lane are longer than most!
On Saxon Warriors! On to Victory!
...Fight, fight for Alfred, A-L-F, R-E-D!

Bartman

Quote from: Saxon73 on October 29, 2014, 09:53:05 PM
I remember the ICAC well.  As a freshman in the fall of 1969 I was all conference in another sport.  Probably the 1st Frosh to win a Varsity letter at Alfred. It was the first year Freshman could compete on Varsity level.
Saxon 73.....for your XMAS list(http://www.ebay.com/itm/1969-HOBART-VS-ALFRED-FOOTBALL-PROGRAM-MINT-/170578008460)

Alfred was always tough and mean back then....Hobart campus had too much peace , love and SDS  members to win any football games against Alfred ....  even with Don Aleksiewicz '73, arguably the greatest Statesman of all time who passed away this year.
"I never graduated from Iowa, but I was only there for two terms - Truman's and Eisenhower's."
Alex Karras
"When it's third and ten, you can take the milk drinkers and I'll take the whiskey drinkers every time."
Max McGee
"I love football. I really love football, As far as I'm concerned, it's the second best thing in the world".
Joe Namath

Saxon73

Bartman - Great find !!

I remember Mr A-Z, and believe he was a standout Lax player as well.

Alfred's "Miracle at Geneva" game in the fall of 1971 I believe held him down.  Coach Yunevich had a linebacker, Bill Ekman, shadow him pretty much the whole game.

The "Miracle" came in when AU scored about 3 times in the last 7 min or so to come from behind. There were some surprise plays and I'm sure Pep has the specifics, as this has been mentioned before.
" No matter the differences, brilliance always finds a common ground."  -  Stephen Colbert

Bartman

Wow, I now remember that game, I think Hobart refers to it as the "bumbling at the Boz", Hobart fans were in shock , but slithered  back to the dorms and listened to some Crosby, Stills and Nash, etc. to understand the meaning of such a game........  A-Z averaged 180 yards per game that year with a new Wish Bone offense put in by new coach, Davis, after an imperfect 0-8 season in 1970.  A-Z scored the winning goal against Cornell Lax that year as Cornell players bounced off him on his way to the goal.....I guess the Alfred football team was a lot tougher than the Cornell lax team. A couple of games for the NYS Intercollegiate History Channel...
"I never graduated from Iowa, but I was only there for two terms - Truman's and Eisenhower's."
Alex Karras
"When it's third and ten, you can take the milk drinkers and I'll take the whiskey drinkers every time."
Max McGee
"I love football. I really love football, As far as I'm concerned, it's the second best thing in the world".
Joe Namath

AUPepBand

Quote from: Saxon73 on October 30, 2014, 10:18:54 AM
Bartman - Great find !!

Alfred's "Miracle at Geneva" game in the fall of 1971 I believe held him down.  Coach Yunevich had a linebacker, Bill Ekman, shadow him pretty much the whole game.

The "Miracle" came in when AU scored about 3 times in the last 7 min or so to come from behind. There were some surprise plays and I'm sure Pep has the specifics, as this has been mentioned before.

Hahaha...do you all want the dirty details? Pep was there....and was likely at that 1969 game as well. 1969 was Jim Moretti's sophomore season when the Saxons went 5-3, with Hobart a 20-19 victim at the old Boswell Field.

On Saxon Warriors!

AUPepBand

Quote from: ITH radio on October 30, 2014, 09:03:48 AM
Pep -

I met some alums from the Classes of 72-75 in early Sept at a reception on campus the night before the Dickinson game. During the party they put on some old game film vs. Alfred from like the 1970 or 71 season. Both teams were dressed in either all orange or purple. Quite a sight!

Speaking of the national anthem, I sang it at the HOB game on 9/6 and blew out the PA.... :-X (doh)

Pep remembers that well....back in the late 1960s when the Statesmen wore their school colors of purple and orange, while the Saxons were donned in their school colors of purple and gold. The Saxons' gold was pretty close to the Statesmen's orange, believe it or not. It was a spectator's nightmare...with the teams donned in near identical colors...and no white.

When Davis was coaching, Hobart went with all orange uniforms...AU may have been all purple with gold numerals. Had some great games between Davis and Yunie, one tagged the "Super Bowl East" when both teams were undefeated and met at Merrill Field before 7,000+ fans. AU prevailed, 31-28, only to lose the next year at Boswell under similar circumstances, 30-28.

Had some great games with the Pumpkinheads over the years...

Saxon73

Quote from: AUPepBand on October 30, 2014, 11:24:33 AM
Quote from: Saxon73 on October 30, 2014, 10:18:54 AM
Bartman - Great find !!

Hahaha...do you all want the dirty details? Pep was there....and was likely at that 1969 game as well. 1969 was Jim Moretti's sophomore season when the Saxons went 5-3, with Hobart a 20-19 victim at the old Boswell Field.

On Saxon Warriors!

1971 was Moretti's senior year and the undefeated Saxons were "slighted" as Bridgeport got the nod to play Hampton-Sydney in the Knute Rockne Bowl. AU was awarded the Lambert Bowl award anyway. Shortly thereafter, as I recall, AU's president Leland Miles "transferred" to Bridgeport.  ::)
" No matter the differences, brilliance always finds a common ground."  -  Stephen Colbert