FB: Centennial Conference

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 05:07:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joe Rockhead

This is a big deal for a little school like Muhlenberg.  If you've been there, you know it's a great place to see a game, but the stadium only holds about 3,000-probably goes to about 5,000 when you account for people standing around the field and on the terrace behind the Life-Sports center.  Looks like a rainy day-that may keep the numbers down. 

North Central folks traveling to Allentown should take note that parking is limited and will be more limited because of restrictions on Liberty Street and the campus lots near the stadium. Many of the other campus lots should be available however since Friday is the last day of finals and a lot of the students will be clearing out. No matter where you park on campus it won't be much of a walk to the field-the school is pretty compact. Too bad the weather is going to be nasty because it is a very nice campus to visit.

QuoteMuhlenberg vs. North Central: Final Four football coming to Allentown

Last fall the Muhlenberg football team experienced big-time Division III football when it traveled to Ohio to face perennial power Mount Union in the NCAA quarterfinals.

The Mules took a 7-0 lead before falling 38-10 to a program with 13 football national titles. Had they won, the Mules would have advanced to the national semifinals for an ESPN game against Centennial Conference rival Johns Hopkins.

A year later, the Mules are 13-0 and in the national semifinals for the first time. On Saturday they host North Central College of Illinois (noon, ESPN3).

Final Four football is coming to Allentown.

"I think it will be exciting for our students and our campus," coach Nate Milne said. "It's finals week for all of our students, so we're trying to figure out practice times and everything."

And figure out if everyone will fit in Scotty Wood Stadium, which holds 3,000. Muhlenberg has never hosted a national semifinal game. The soccer program hosted games to reach the semifinals in 1995 and 2014.

"We've had games where it's been packed," sports information director Mike Falk said. "I think we can get a lot more in there with people standing along the fence."

Fourth-ranked Muhlenberg is the lone unbeaten left and the highest-ranking team remaining. Top three seeds Mary Hardin-Baylor — the defending national champion — Mount Union, and Wheaton all have fallen.

Fifth-ranked North Central (11-1) outdueled Mount Union two rounds ago, 59-52. On Saturday the Cardinals beat Delaware Valley College 31-14 to reach the semis.

"This will be a wonderful week," Milne said. "It should be a great game."

North Central averages 53 points and 335 passing yards per game, but Muhlenberg advanced to the semifinals with shutout wins over MIT and Brockport and a 24-8 victory at triple-option Salisbury, which came in averaging more than 50 points a game.

"North Central is more of a traditional style offense that you see in 2019," Milne said. "What jumps off the screen when you watch them on film is their team speed. They play with a tenacity that mirrors what we play with."

The other D-III semifinal, St. John's of Minnesota at Wisconsin-Whitewater, will air on ESPN3 at 3 p.m.

The championship is Friday, Dec. 20, at 8 p.m. on ESPNU in the 47th Amos Alonzo Stagg Bowl at Woodforest Bank Stadium in Shenandoah, Texas.

https://www.mcall.com/sports/college/mc-spt-muhlenberg-north-central-20191208-l7do7kspv5hizcnplnxq24p32q-story.html?outputType=amp#nt=taboola-feed

wesleydad

Quote from: Joe Rockhead on December 12, 2019, 07:50:47 AM
This is a big deal for a little school like Muhlenberg.  If you've been there, you know it's a great place to see a game, but the stadium only holds about 3,000-probably goes to about 5,000 when you account for people standing around the field and on the terrace behind the Life-Sports center.  Looks like a rainy day-that may keep the numbers down. 

North Central folks traveling to Allentown should take note that parking is limited and will be more limited because of restrictions on Liberty Street and the campus lots near the stadium. Many of the other campus lots should be available however since Friday is the last day of finals and a lot of the students will be clearing out. No matter where you park on campus it won't be much of a walk to the field-the school is pretty compact. Too bad the weather is going to be nasty because it is a very nice campus to visit.

I remember visiting Muhlenberg in the 2005 - 08 timeframe.  The visitor stands are small and hard to actually see the game from.  The home side is nice.  We parked on the streets behind the home stands back then, I figure it is still ok to do so.  As far as the game goes, this looks like a repeat of the NCC/Del Val game.  Can Muhlenberg limit the big plays and make NCC go on long drives?  If they can they have a chance.  My concern would be can Muhlenberg score enough to win the game.  I think the offense is better than Del Val's and if they can control the clock with nice drives this game is going to be a good one.  I was thinking about attending but the forecasted rain will cancel that idea.  Good luck this week.

Ice Bear

Ice Bear thinks a lot of NCC but would really love to see the Jack-Asses pull this one out. Ice was so impressed with what he saw against Salisbury and feels like parts and/or most of PA certainly has an "east region" feel. He also remembers the Mules coming up to Shocktown years back to play Ice's beloved Dutchmen. IB is hoping for a competitive injury free game for both of these excellent D3 football teams!

Let's ****ing go Jack-Asses!
A long time fan of DIII Football!

wally_wabash

Neither semifinal went reached 3,000 spectators last year.  Semifinals at UMHB in 2016 (vs. Mount Union) and 2017 (vs. Brockport) did go over 3,000, but that's UMHB for you.  I think it's awesome that Muhlenberg has earned this opportunity to host a semifinal game for the first time in their history and I hope that they figure out how to exceed capacity.  Looking forward to a great game on Saturday!
"Nothing in the world is more expensive than free."- The Deacon of HBO's The Wire

jmcozenlaw

21 - 0 with 5 minutes left in the first quarter. I said it all week, had Nigro not fumbled at the 10 and made it a 24 - 21 game..................and had DelVal pulled off the miracle and beat North Central on the road, I would have LOVED their chances at Muhlenberg. Absolutely loved their chances!

I honestly do believe that DelVal had a better defense than Muhlenberg. They gave up 31 for the entire game (on the road) and Muhlenberg has already given up 21.

Ah, what could have been. Woulda. Coulda. Shoulda. Horseshoes and hand grenades (for those enough to remember that reference) ;)

Hooper22

That is awesome JWC..   Absolutely loved the pick 6 last year at DelVal..   It is what it is.. Congrats to NCC for a great game!   They deserve to move on..

BTW.  loved your pick of DeSales (3-3) as the best team in Philly in D3 Hoops.   May go 3-4 with a game against Scranton on Monday...  maybe not.   They are the class of a down MAC Freedom and should win that Conference easily moving forward. 

Also-  Loved the DelVal Hoops Coaches tour of Maryland JUCO this early Fall with trips to Hammond CC, Harford CC, Chesapeake CC, Cecil CC and CCBC.    He called it the "Maryland JUCO tour".  No issue with transfers like you advocate on the hoops board.  Some conferences and Colleges do not have this option nor do they go down that road. It doesn't make them "better", they just cant get those men into the school academically.  That is their schools choice.    Doesn't mean those men  wont succeed when given an opportunity, like your CPA example at DelVal.

Good luck to Swarthmore, DeSales and Scranton football next year..   They all should be better!   :: ;D

Joe Rockhead

Another of Coach Donnely's disciples heads off be a head coach.  This time it's Josh Carter leaving Muhlenberg to take over at Juniata.

QuoteHUNTINGDON, Pa.- The Juniata College Athletics Department is pleased to announce the hiring of Josh Carter as the 23rd head coach of the football team. He brings over a decade of coaching experience to Juniata.   

"We feel Josh is one of the top young coaches in the country and the absolute right person to take the reins of our football program at this moment in time," said Athletics Director and Head Men's Basketball coach Greg Curley. "His experience in helping lead one of the top Division III football programs in the country, at a highly selective academic institution; his background as a proven recruiter, coach, and teacher; his commitment to developing the entire student-athlete both on and off the field; his passion and vision for Juniata football combined with his character and values-based leadership philosophy; align perfectly with our priorities and expectations for our football program."   

Coach Carter spent the past six years as the special team's coordinator, as well as the quarterbacks and wide receiver coach at Muhlenberg College, his alma mater. He was responsible for coordinating all facets of the kicking game, including: playbook, installation, scouting, personnel, and scheme. He also coached the QB's wide receivers as well as assisted the offensive coordinator in all facets of the offense. The team was 58-13 while he was on staff, rewriting the school and conference record books. Muhlenberg won an ECAC Championship in 2017, made the NCAA Elite Eight and was Centennial Conference Co-Champions in 2018, and this past season went 13-1 on their way to the NCAA DIII Semifinals while also winning a conference championship.

In 2018, Michael Hnatkowsky broke the school record for touchdown passes in a season with 31 TD tosses. In 2017, Hnatkowsky set the conference record for passing yardage and touchdowns by a freshman QB. In 2016, kick returner Nick Lamb led the conference in kickoff returns and was a D3fotballl Third Team All-American, the first since Carter himself. During his six years, Carter's position groups featured 11 all-conference selections, two Players of the Year, and one All-American. 

"Coming to Juniata is the realization of a dream for me. I can't say thank you enough for the support that has been given to me by family and friends throughout my life that have led me to this point," said Carter. "I'd like to thank President Troha, Greg Curley, and the search committee for the opportunity to head a new era of Juniata Football. I'd also like to thank my Muhlenberg family for everything. Without all of the players, coaches, staff and administrative support over my playing and coaching career,  I would not be standing where I am today."

Carter also spent time as a safeties coach at Fordham University and as a wide receivers coach at Lafayette College in the mid-2000s.

Carter was an exceptional two-sport athlete in his time at Muhlenberg, as he was a standout football and baseball player. A three-year All-American, he was named to the All-Centennial Conference first team five times (three as a kick returner and two as a wide receiver) and was CC Offensive Player of the Year in 2000. He has also put together a stellar baseball career, where he hit .348, stole a school-record 86 bases, and pitched a no-hitter. Carter was inducted into the Muhlenberg College Athletic Hall of Fame in 2007 and was named to the D3Football All-Decade team in 2011.

Carter is the first African-American head coach of the Juniata football program and the third to lead a Centennial Conference football team.

"I think it's great, knowing that we are getting these opportunities, and it is nice to enter into the club with Coach Banks (Gettysburg College) and join Coach White (McDaniel College)," said Carter. "It shows that the Centennial is making great strides, that there are people of color who are more than qualified and ready to take on the responsibly of being the face of a program. It shows that we are entering into the next phase of progress for people from underrepresented communities becoming head football coaches."

https://www.juniatasports.net/sports/fball/2019-20/releases/20200203r9uu1m

Joe Rockhead

Looks like the Centennial Conference will be calling off the season-maybe playing a conference only schedule in the Spring, maybe...oh well.

njf1003

Quote from: Joe Rockhead on July 07, 2020, 12:18:43 PM
Looks like the Centennial Conference will be calling off the season-maybe playing a conference only schedule in the Spring, maybe...oh well.
Yep. Just saw that as well. It's on the centennial's twitter.
Just a conference slate still means 9/10 games.

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Quote from: Joe Rockhead on July 07, 2020, 12:18:43 PM

Considering the national powerhouses the Centennial has for lacrosse programs (both DIII and DI) ... a spring football schedule even five or so games against conference opponents is going to be rather challenging.
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

TheOsprey

ESPN - reporting All Centennial conf. Fall sports suspended. ::)

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Quote from: TheOsprey on July 07, 2020, 05:49:48 PM
ESPN - reporting All Centennial conf. Fall sports suspended. ::)

Yeah ... not helping my old stomping grounds screwed this up as well ... even after I told them they had it wrong.
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

jmcozenlaw

What a scheduling mess many schools are dealing with. By the hour..........and with number 3 pencil (the youngsters are wondering what that means) ;)

bill

My oldest will be attending a Centennial school (hopefully in person) this fall. We got the letter as well...he's a spring athlete, but I am hopeful they will start having non traditional practices later in the fall. His email had a statement in it about the conference assessing "sport-specific" activities at the end of Sept...
"To build may have to be the slow and laborious task of years. To destroy can be the thoughtless act of a single day."

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Quote from: jmcozenlaw on July 07, 2020, 10:13:30 PM
What a scheduling mess many schools are dealing with. By the hour..........and with number 3 pencil (the youngsters are wondering what that means) ;)

Wasn't it a number two pencil?!