South Region playoffs

Started by Llamaguy, October 11, 2005, 02:42:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ralph Turner

Update

Quote from: Ralph Turner on November 03, 2018, 05:31:18 PM
I just hope that the bracket has the chance for UMHB or HSU (or both) to meet Berry.  Now that Wesley is gone, UMHB seems to be sent West.

It has been a long time since the ASC has played from eastern time zone of the South Region.

Here are ASC opponents from the South Region in the post season. (Partial listing of other games.)

2021 UMHB - Trinity
2019 UMHB - Rounds 2; Huntingdon; 42-6
2018 UMHB - HSU 27-6; Berry 75-9
         HSU -  Loss to UMHB
2017 UMHB - None; HSU None
         HSU   -  Loss at Linfield 13-27
2016 UMHB - None: HSU None
         HSU  -  Loss at Linfield 10-24
2015 UMHB - HSU round 1; Huntingdon round 2 43-23
         HSU  --- Loss at UMHB 19-37
2014 UMHB - TLU (Pool B) 27-20 round 1
2013 UMHB - None
2012 UMHB - Louisiana College round 1; Wesley round 3 (W)
        LaColl  --- Lost at 20-59
2011 UMHB - McMurry round 2; Wesley round 3 (L);
         McM      McMurry Trinity (W)
2010 UMHB - CNU (59-7) Thomas More (69-7) Wesley (9-19)
2009 UMHB - None
        Miss Coll Huntingdon 56-35; - round 2 Wesley 9-43
2008 UMHB - HSU 38-35; round 2 Wesley 46-14; Round 3 W&J 63-7
                    HSU Loss to UMHB in round 1
2007 UMHB - Trinity TX 52-23; round 2 NCWC 64-0; round 3 Wesley 27-10
2006 UMHB - HSU 33-21; W&J 30-27; Wesley 20-34
2005 UMHB - Trinity 35-6; Wesley 36-46
2004 UMHB - Trinity 32-13; HSU 42-28; W&J 52-16
                  - HSU bye first round
2003 ETBU - Trinity 42-41; Lycoming 7-13
2002 UMHB - Loss at Trinity 38-48
2001 HSU    - Loss at Wittenberg 35-38
2000 HSU    - McDaniel 32-10; Trinity TX 33-30
1999 HSU   - WashUStL 28-21; W&J 51-3; Trinity TX (loss 33-40)

Ralph Turner

Congrats to JHU, Muhlenberg and UMHB making it to the Round of 8.

I really like JHU's chances. They were fortunate to be sent to a heavily-East Region populated bracket.

D O.C.

wally_wabash

I'm sure you guys do actually know where Johns Hopkins is located on a globe.  It's not luck that got them grouped with the teams they're grouped with. 
"Nothing in the world is more expensive than free."- The Deacon of HBO's The Wire

Ralph Turner

Quote from: Ralph Turner on November 25, 2018, 05:02:48 PM

I really like JHU's chances. They were fortunate to be sent to a heavily-East Region populated bracket.
Quote from: D O.C. on November 27, 2018, 02:54:07 AM
Yes, they were.
Quote from: wally_wabash on November 27, 2018, 08:31:52 AM
I'm sure you guys do actually know where Johns Hopkins is located on a globe.  It's not luck that got them grouped with the teams they're grouped with. 
That is one time when geographic proximity worked to the favor of a South Region team.

wally_wabash

Quote from: Ralph Turner on November 27, 2018, 12:08:16 PM

Yes, they were.
That is one time when geographic proximity worked to the favor of a South Region team.

You know, something that might need revisiting are the geographic regional designations.  How much sense does it really make for the PAC to be "south"?  I'm going to do a little side project here and get back to you in a little bit. 

I'm back.  So I re-regionalized the conferences in a way that I think more closely mirrors how we've been grouping things together in the tournament.  My four new regions are:

Region 1 - 6 conferences, one IND, 58 total teams:
CC
Thomas More
MAC
OAC
ODAC
PAC
USASC

Region 2 - 8 conferences, 65 teams, NESCAC included:
CCC
ECFC
E8
LL
MASCAC
NESCAC
NEWMAC
NJAC

Region 3 - 7 conferences, 65 teams:
CCIW
HCAC
MIAA
MWC
NCAC
NACC
WIAC

Region 4 - 7 conferences, 62 teams:
ARC
ASC
MIAC
NWC
SAA
SCIAC
UMAC

Fairly balanced, right?  Regions 1-3 make good sense geographically.  Region 4 makes no sense geographically, but why wouldn't it make sense to take your island leagues and group them together?  That's what is being done pretty routinely for the tournament.  So instead of being every year at how the NCAA is cheaping out by lumping all of the flying teams into the same quadrant, we can just use that as a starting point and stop being mad about it every single November. 

It's really just not possible to do much about the cluster of lower-ranked conferences from New England.  There isn't a reasonable way to spread them out.  So for better or worse, that northeast area is just always going to be unpalatable for those that follow the divison's powerhouses.  No way around that. 
"Nothing in the world is more expensive than free."- The Deacon of HBO's The Wire

MRMIKESMITH

Quote from: wally_wabash on November 27, 2018, 01:13:35 PM
Quote from: Ralph Turner on November 27, 2018, 12:08:16 PM

Yes, they were.

You know, something that might need revisiting are the geographic regional designations.  How much sense does it really make for the PAC to be "south"?  I'm going to do a little side project here and get back to you in a little bit. 

I'm back.  So I re-regionalized the conferences in a way that I think more closely mirrors how we've been grouping things together in the tournament.  My four new regions are:

Region 1 - 67 conferences, one IND, 58 total teams:
CC
Thomas MoreNJAC
MAC
OAC
ODAC
PAC
USASC

Region 2 - 87 conferences, 65 teams, NESCAC included:
CCC
ECFC
E8
LL
MASCAC
NESCAC
NEWMAC
NJAC

Region 3 - 7 conferences, 65 teams:
CCIW
HCAC
MIAA
MWC
NCAC
NACC
WIAC

Region 4 - 7 conferences, 62 teams:
ARC
ASC
MIAC
NWC
SAA
SCIAC
UMAC

Fairly balanced, right?  Regions 1-3 make good sense geographically.  Region 4 makes no sense geographically, but why wouldn't it make sense to take your island leagues and group them together?  That's what is being done pretty routinely for the tournament.  So instead of being every year at how the NCAA is cheaping out by lumping all of the flying teams into the same quadrant, we can just use that as a starting point and stop being mad about it every single November. 

It's really just not possible to do much about the cluster of lower-ranked conferences from New England.  There isn't a reasonable way to spread them out.  So for better or worse, that northeast area is just always going to be unpalatable for those that follow the divison's powerhouses.  No way around that.

wally_wabash

My first pass had exactly what you've edited to there, MANDGSU.  I moved NJAC to Region 2 to provide a little bit more balance to the northeast leauges in that region.  I don't think a region with the E8, the NJAC, and the LL is all that soft.  But I think you need all three there juxtaposed with the northeast conferences to make it work. 

crufootball

Is this something that is possible? Are the regions ever shaken up for any reason?

HScoach

Wally:  I like it.  When I become Grand Poobah Of All Things Known To Man, you will be my first cabinet appointment as Czar Of D3 Football. 

Not surprisingly that makes much more sense than what the NCAA does.
I find easily offended people rather offensive!

Statistics are like bikinis; what they reveal is interesting, what they hide is essential.

wally_wabash

Quote from: crufootball on November 27, 2018, 03:17:19 PM
Is this something that is possible? Are the regions ever shaken up for any reason?

Sure.  Conferences have been reclassified in the not-too-distant past.  The MAC used to be a South region conference as Ralph has noted somewhere around here recently.  The only thing preventing the D-III presidents from doing this is probably some burning desire to fix something that really isn't that big of a problem to begin with.   :)  But it could be done with some legislation at NCAA meeting time. 

Another option would be to increase the number of regions to, say, six like they do in other sports.  But that doesn't really solve the map problem at tournament time.  No matter how you cluster the different conferences together into regions, the ASC schools are still only 500 miles within one another and nobody else. 

Ralph Turner

Wally, I was delightfully greeted by your re-alignment of the regions.  +1!

Practically, that is the way that it works when brackets are published.

The ASC has not played SJU since HSU's loss to the Johnnies in 2000.

As for the SAA, five of the members are practically in the "West", i.e., Austin College and Trinity in Texas, Hendrix in Conway AR, Rhodes in Memphis TN and Millsaps in Jackson MS

UMHB has played the ARC in playoff games in the past.

Pat Coleman

Baseball has eight regions, but is set up somewhat like this, with the Texas and West Coast teams in the same region.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

Ralph Turner

How about that?

Two South Region teams are in the semi-finals, UMHB & JHU.

retagent

Thomas More will no longer be a D III football program next year.