FB: Southern Athletic Association

Started by Ron Boerger, October 25, 2011, 02:57:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ralph Turner

Quote from: Shoreman on December 17, 2011, 05:09:00 PM
Keep in mind that Oglethorpe has been a member of the SCAC since the 80's. Looking a little closer at Huntingdon, their history, sports offered, location does make for a good fit with the SAA. For sure their admission standards are a bit lower, but that could simply be tied to their mission. No doubt it is tough to be a D-3 football school in the south. They would be a good fit for the USA south, but would have a big travel budget. But the fact is they already have a big travel budget competing as an independent.
It's the budget for everyone else having to travel to Montgomery! Losing CNU (to the Capital?) will make Covenant, and hopefully Huntingdon, more attractive to the USA South.

DGPugh

Shoreman said :"No doubt it is tough to be a D-3 football school in the south"

Shoremen, we agree... particularly if you have no conference affiliation
yep, it is interesting in the recent past, with the exception of BSC, the new football programs within 1-3 hrs of Montgomery are all new NAIA (Shorter, Concordia, Faulkner, Point U). Huntingdon played 3 NAIA teams this yr in order to complete a 10 game schedule (Faulkner, Ava Maria, Fl International). Unfortunately, Faulkner has dropped us from their schedule. Faulkner is just accross town  :'(

It is odd how naia appears to be growing faster in our area than either D-2 or D-3 ?

i pray yall have a most wonderful Christmas/CHanukkah
keep the faith 
"Put on the full armor of God, so that you can take your stand against the devil's schemes." 
Ephesians 6:11

Ron Boerger

From the position description:

"Hendrix has invested $23 million into new athletics and recreation facilities in the past five years, including an artificial turf playing field. The College's athletic facilities were ranked #13 overall in the 2009 Princeton Review. "

The turf field looks like it will be fine for playing football (soccer and track now), but there are no stands.  Looks like there's room for a D3-sized set when the school wishes to add them. 

I find the Princeton Review listing interesting - their ratings are based on student surveys.  Not sure I could say that Hendrix' facilities, nice as they are, would beat out Alabama's or the University of Texas; apparently in 2009, the survey respondents did.   ;)  They aren't ranked this year (only the top 20 get mentioned) and one supposes 2009 was the only year they were. 

jknezek

Quote from: Ron Boerger on December 27, 2011, 09:20:39 AM

I find the Princeton Review listing interesting - their ratings are based on student surveys.  Not sure I could say that Hendrix' facilities, nice as they are, would beat out Alabama's or the University of Texas; apparently in 2009, the survey respondents did.   ;)  They aren't ranked this year (only the top 20 get mentioned) and one supposes 2009 was the only year they were.

Don't forget that there is a growing backlash against surveys like the Princeton Review. Increasingly numbers of schools refuse to participate in this kind of non-scientific methodology. Hendrix may have been one of the few schools with large enough percentage of respondents to qualify in 2009. Many of these college guidebooks aren't worth the carbon cost of cutting down the trees to make the paper!

DGPugh

Shoreman
i saw this ad on berry's cite yesterday (site sight ???i don't know anymore)

berry is near where i was raised and my brides family is from rome. beautiful campus. for kids with an interest in animal science/ animal genetics/ or agriculture it would be a great place, those degrees are fairly novel at D-3 and/or private institutions

for pre-vet, berry is top notch, and their Ag programs usually beat the heck out of the typical biochemistry or cell biology degrees for acceptance to eithe Auburn, UGA, or UT-knoxville.

i believe berry will do very well from a recruiting stand point, with the only caveat that several other 'new'
D-3/NAIA programs are starting up in jawja thus deluting (sp) the player pool
keep the faith
"Put on the full armor of God, so that you can take your stand against the devil's schemes." 

Ralph Turner

Quote from: DGPugh on January 13, 2012, 09:16:33 AM
Shoreman
i saw this ad on berry's cite yesterday (site sight ???i don't know anymore)

berry is near where i was raised and my brides family is from rome. beautiful campus. for kids with an interest in animal science/ animal genetics/ or agriculture it would be a great place, those degrees are fairly novel at D-3 and/or private institutions

for pre-vet, berry is top notch, and their Ag programs usually beat the heck out of the typical biochemistry or cell biology degrees for acceptance to eithe Auburn, UGA, or UT-knoxville.

i believe berry will do very well from a recruiting stand point, with the only caveat that several other 'new'
D-3/NAIA programs are starting up in jawja thus deluting (sp) the player pool
keep the faith
I believe that there is so much talent in Georgia at the D-2/D-3/NAIA level that the issue is convincing that student-athlete to continue playing, rather than giving up the athletic career, going to Athens or GTech and partying, only to squander life's chances for an education.

DGPugh

Hero-Obi Wan

I agree about Ga, lots of talent. I really believe Berry will do real well real fast. They have a phenominal Baseball area. Beautiful campus, great school. I believe a casualty to Bery starting up football will be Shorter College ( Rome, Ga NAIA, new program) and LaGrange College (but not to the extent of Shorter)

Have a most blessed day and a great New Year
Hawk 'em and please pass on a Big War Eagle to the faithful
keep the faith

Ron Boerger

I read that more as Shorter keeping a spot open for a possible FB game in 2013 vs Berry ... and with Shorter going D2 and Berry D3, you wonder how much they'll play going forward. 

Shoreman

Wow, I took a look at Shorter's roster, must be over 200 kids in the program. Probably not very likely that they will play Berry in year 1. Seems like it would be a mismatch.

Ron Boerger

That's a lot - only 1500 full-time kids at the school per their factbook, about half male.