Empire 8

Started by AUPepBand, September 10, 2014, 05:06:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AUPepBand

As expected, the Alfred Saxon men's soccer team, under first-year Head Coach Matt Smith, (who routinely took Johns Hopkins men's teams to the NCAA Tournament) is having some early success. Will be interesting to see how it all pans out once Empire 8 Conference play begins.

On Saxon Warriors!
On Saxon Warriors! On to Victory!
...Fight, fight for Alfred, A-L-F, R-E-D!

Christan Shirk

Quote from: AUPepBand on September 10, 2014, 05:06:15 PM
As expected, the Alfred Saxon men's soccer team, under first-year Head Coach Matt Smith, (who routinely took Johns Hopkins men's teams to the NCAA Tournament) is having some early success. Will be interesting to see how it all pans out once Empire 8 Conference play begins.

On Saxon Warriors!
Any background to why Matt Smith landed at Alfred?  Seems given his track record at Hopkins, that he could haave gotten offers to coach at numerous higher profile, more competitive programs.  Obviously, in Division III especially, those often aren't the main or only motivations for a coach.  Without doing any digging or research, I wasn't sure if he had a past connection to the school or the area.  Any insight? In any case, that would seem to be a great pick-up for Alfred.
Christan Shirk
Special Consultant and Advisor
D3soccer.com

AUPepBand

Quote from: Christan Shirk on September 10, 2014, 06:02:00 PM
Quote from: AUPepBand on September 10, 2014, 05:06:15 PM

On Saxon Warriors!
Any background to why Matt Smith landed at Alfred?  Seems given his track record at Hopkins, that he could haave gotten offers to coach at numerous higher profile, more competitive programs.  Obviously, in Division III especially, those often aren't the main or only motivations for a coach.  Without doing any digging or research, I wasn't sure if he had a past connection to the school or the area.  Any insight? In any case, that would seem to be a great pick-up for Alfred.

An amazing pick-up for Alfred. It's my understanding that it was just a case of timing. He wanted to get back into coaching a college team after running soccer clinics, etc. and Alfred had the opening.

On Saxon Warriors! On to Victory!
...Fight, fight for Alfred, A-L-F, R-E-D!

LaPaz

What was the story with him?  I realize he is an excellent coach but he mysteriously left Hopkins in the middle of a good run.