Lacrosse

Started by drisclaw, July 03, 2011, 09:27:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WLCALUM83

Vandy, do you follow just one specific NESCAC school, or the entire conference in general?

Vandy74

Quote from: WLCALUM83 on April 06, 2013, 12:29:50 PM
Vandy, do you follow just one specific NESCAC school, or the entire conference in general?

I was just a casual observer who knew very little about the game until 7 years ago when I was asked to keep the time clock for Middlebury home games.  The coach is my sister-in-law and I did clock duties for 2-3 seasons.  I now keep track of Trinity as well since they are coached by a former Middlebury player who also is the daughter of two high school classmates.  They had a wonderful season last year and seem to be just as strong again this time around.  I have a general knowledge of who is good in the NESCAC from year to year.  Trinity, Middlebury and Colby are all unbeaten and I believe Bowdoin is also highly ranked as well.  Amherst too, I think, but Middlebury had a surprisingly easy time with them today.  Tufts can't be overlooked tomorrow.  Williams is usually very good.  They seem to be having an off year but should never be taken lightly.   I try to see as many home games as I can.  I'm still learning some of the rules.  I really enjoy the women's game.  Not so much the way the men play it. 

WLCALUM83

Quote from: Vandy74 on April 06, 2013, 06:31:04 PM

I was just a casual observer who knew very little about the game until 7 years ago when I was asked to keep the time clock for Middlebury home games.  The coach is my sister-in-law and I did clock duties for 2-3 seasons.  I now keep track of Trinity as well since they are coached by a former Middlebury player who also is the daughter of two high school classmates.  They had a wonderful season last year and seem to be just as strong again this time around.  I have a general knowledge of who is good in the NESCAC from year to year.  Trinity, Middlebury and Colby are all unbeaten and I believe Bowdoin is also highly ranked as well.  Amherst too, I think, but Middlebury had a surprisingly easy time with them today.  Tufts can't be overlooked tomorrow.  Williams is usually very good.  They seem to be having an off year but should never be taken lightly.   I try to see as many home games as I can.  I'm still learning some of the rules.  I really enjoy the women's game.  Not so much the way the men play it. 

I just started following the sport myself, when several local Midwest Region D3 squads (Concordia-WI, for one) joined the Midwest Lacrosse and Midwest Women's Lacrosse Conference(s), respectively. I've been checking the progress of first-year lacrosse squad Benedictine (IL). This is only the second year those conferences have been in existence. Denison (OH) men are the closest nationally ranked team to my region at this point in time. (Just today, I caught Denison's women's win over Sewanee).

Sounds like your NESCAC squads have at lot more experience than those I've neem following.

Vandy74

Quote from: WLCALUM83 on April 06, 2013, 09:37:23 PM
Quote from: Vandy74 on April 06, 2013, 06:31:04 PM

I just started following the sport myself, when several local Midwest Region D3 squads (Concordia-WI, for one) joined the Midwest Lacrosse and Midwest Women's Lacrosse Conference(s), respectively. I've been checking the progress of first-year lacrosse squad Benedictine (IL). This is only the second year those conferences have been in existence. Denison (OH) men are the closest nationally ranked team to my region at this point in time. (Just today, I caught Denison's women's win over Sewanee).

Sounds like your NESCAC squads have at lot more experience than those I've neem following.

Denison's women beat Adrian in last year's D3 tourney.  Based on comparative scores they probably would have beaten the team Middlebury faced in the next round (they were in the same bracket) and gone on to the Elite Eight.  Unfortunately they faced Gettysburg who were the defending national champions and always one of the best teams.  Since Adrian only lost to Denison by one goal it seems likely they would advanced against Middlebury's opponent as well.  Middlebury beat Gettyburg in the next round and have beaten them 14-11 in an out-of-conference regular season game this year.  The Northeast does seem to be the D3 lacrosse hotbed.  From 1991-2006 only one team other than Middlebury and Trenton College of New Jersey won the national championship.  That monopoly is changing.  5 different schools have won the 6 titles since.  Neither Midd nor TCNJ have been among them nor has either been the loser of the championship game although both school's continue to have strong programs. 

NCF

After being down 10-6 in the 2nd half, the Cardinal women won in triple overtime, 15-14 against Otterbein.
CCIW FOOTBALL CHAMPIONS '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13
CCIW  MEN"S INDOOR TRACK CHAMPIONS: TOTAL DOMINATION SINCE 2001.
CCIW MEN'S OUTDOOR TRACK CHAMPIONS: 35
NATIONAL CHAMPIONS: INDOOR TRACK-'89,'10,'11,'12/OUTDOOR TRACK: '89,'94,'98,'00,'10,'11
2013 OAC post season pick-em tri-champion
2015 CCIW Pick-em co-champion

Vandy74

Quote from: NCF on April 07, 2013, 08:24:44 AM
After being down 10-6 in the 2nd half, the Cardinal women won in triple overtime, 15-14 against Otterbein.

I googled CCIW and learned the conference.  Apologies for not knowing for sure who the Cardinal women are but expect they could be North Central.  My first love is college basketball.  North Central totally took Middlebury out of it's game in the field of Eight and almost succeeded in  doing the same to Amherst in the next round.  We badly wanted that rematch with Amherst who beat us 104-101 in 3OT regular season.  Amherst plays for all the marbles this afternoon against Mary Hardin Baylor.  Strange how the game progresses but if a certain Amherst player hadn't drawn his fourth foul late in the game forcing a replacement move it is my opinion that NCC would have won and be playing in Atlanta today.  Good team.  Very deep offensively.

NCF

Quote from: Vandy74 on April 07, 2013, 08:52:32 AM

I googled CCIW and learned the conference.  Apologies for not knowing for sure who the Cardinal women are but expect they could be North Central.  My first love is college basketball.  North Central totally took Middlebury out of it's game in the field of Eight and almost succeeded in  doing the same to Amherst in the next round.  We badly wanted that rematch with Amherst who beat us 104-101 in 3OT regular season.  Amherst plays for all the marbles this afternoon against Mary Hardin Baylor.  Strange how the game progresses but if a certain Amherst player hadn't drawn his fourth foul late in the game forcing a replacement move it is my opinion that NCC would have won and be playing in Atlanta today.  Good team.  Very deep offensively.
That's interesting that you say that about NC as a friend of mine who was at the game said North Central just wasn't very sharp that night. I thought they had a great run. As for the women's lacrosse team, they play in the MWLC. It will probably be a few more years until the CCIW adds the sport.
NATIONAL CHAMPIONS: INDOOR TRACK-'89,'10,'11,'12/OUTDOOR TRACK: '89,'94,'98,'00,'10,'11

Vandy74

Quote from: NCF on April 07, 2013, 02:52:34 PM

That's interesting that you say that about NC as a friend of mine who was at the game said North Central just wasn't very sharp that night. I thought they had a great run. As for the women's lacrosse team, they play in the MWLC. It will probably be a few more years until the CCIW adds the sport.

Your friend is correct.  NC wasn't very sharp on offense that night but they so completely shut down the highly touted Lord Jeff scoring machine that they still seemed to have the upper hand.  Amherst averaged 84 points per game this season.  NC held them to 52.  Neither Middlebury nor Amherst could stop Gamble.  Amherst was playing a freshman Ben Pollack, who only averaged about 13 minutes per game, against him late in the second half.  The score was close but Amherst seemed incapable of putting a good run together.  Pollack picked up his 4th foul and was replaced by Peter Kaasila who ordinarily gets the bulk of the playing time at C/F.  When it was all over he and Pollack had each played 20 minutes.  I assume that Pollack had been put in originally because Kaasila had been ineffective but the minute Kaasila came back in for the last 5 minutes or so the Amherst team started playing better than they had the entire game  previously.  I considered it the turning point in a game that I honestly believed Amherst was about to lose.  Other than Williamson for Amherst and Gamble for NC it was a flat out ugly game all around.  Which really means both teams for all their scoring woes played great D.

Vandy74

Quote from: davepi2 on February 17, 2013, 01:14:19 PM
well let's see trying to remember off the top of my head. Denison, Ohio Wesleyan, Wooster, Oberlin, Kenyon(that takes care of the ohio 5)also wittenberg, and depauw. I don't believe allegheney,hiram, or wabash field varsity lacrosse. There are also oac schools picking the sport up now. Otterbein and Mt. Union currently have teams and Capital is adding lacrosse next year. That a&m school here in columbus that plays d1 I don't like to talk about.

davepi2,

I follow Middlebury in the NESCAC and am more familiar with the women's team since my sister-in-law is the coach.  Our men's team is currently ranked right behind Denison.  Our attempted upset of #4 Tufts this afternoon fell just short.  I see that your men's team plays some schools like Cabrini and Washington & Lee.  Your women's team is unranked despite it's undefeated record and modest success in last year's tourney.  They don't seem to have the same strength of schedule.  I see they play Adrian who also made last year's tournament.  They should be able to attract games with schools like Gettysburg and Salisbury which would involve travel plans similar to some of the out-of-area teams the men play.  Do you know if there is any interest in building up their schedule like that or are you strictly a fan of the men's team? 

NCF

Quote from: Vandy74 on April 07, 2013, 06:41:45 PM
Quote from: NCF on April 07, 2013, 02:52:34 PM

Your friend is correct.  NC wasn't very sharp on offense that night but they so completely shut down the highly touted Lord Jeff scoring machine that they still seemed to have the upper hand.  Amherst averaged 84 points per game this season.  NC held them to 52.  Neither Middlebury nor Amherst could stop Gamble.  Amherst was playing a freshman Ben Pollack, who only averaged about 13 minutes per game, against him late in the second half.  The score was close but Amherst seemed incapable of putting a good run together.  Pollack picked up his 4th foul and was replaced by Peter Kaasila who ordinarily gets the bulk of the playing time at C/F.  When it was all over he and Pollack had each played 20 minutes.  I assume that Pollack had been put in originally because Kaasila had been ineffective but the minute Kaasila came back in for the last 5 minutes or so the Amherst team started playing better than they had the entire game  previously.  I considered it the turning point in a game that I honestly believed Amherst was about to lose.  Other than Williamson for Amherst and Gamble for NC it was a flat out ugly game all around.  Which really means both teams for all their scoring woes played great D.
And defense wins championships!

NCF

North Central's women recorded the first shut-out in school history with a 15-0 victory over Benedictine.

Vandy74

Quote from: NCF on April 10, 2013, 08:32:55 AM
North Central's women recorded the first shut-out in school history with a 15-0 victory over Benedictine.

Congratulations to the North Central women' lax.  It looks like they are having a very successful season.  If I read it correctly they have 3 more games they ought to win rather easily and 3 more that will test their mettle.  The Augustana game coming up looks to be a good indicator of how far the program has evolved.  Adrian is having another fine season and is bound for post season play.  They only beat Augustana by a 16-11 margin earlier in the season.  Good luck!

NCF

Quote from: Vandy74 on April 12, 2013, 05:06:46 AM
Quote from: NCF on April 10, 2013, 08:32:55 AM

Congratulations to the North Central women' lax.  It looks like they are having a very successful season.  If I read it correctly they have 3 more games they ought to win rather easily and 3 more that will test their mettle.  The Augustana game coming up looks to be a good indicator of how far the program has evolved.  Adrian is having another fine season and is bound for post season play.  They only beat Augustana by a 16-11 margin earlier in the season.  Good luck!

You're right-they are having a very successful season(so far). They came from behind yesterday to beat Concordia (Minn) and play Augie, in Rock Island on Tuesday.

Vandy74

Ouch!  Congratulations to #1 Trinity beating Middlebury 10-9 this afternoon.  Midd came back from a 9-5 deficit at @ 18:00 in the second half to tie it up but lost on a goal scored with @ 2 minutes remaining.  That's four consecutive losses to Trinity, two of them by 11-10 scores.   :-\  Here's hoping for a rematch in post-season play.

NCF

North Central downed DePauw 17-13 today. Next up is Augustana on Tuesday.