FB: Region 4 fan poll

Started by DPU3619, September 09, 2011, 09:17:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ExTartanPlayer

I know one or two other folks have mentioned filling out a ballot - and I will update these later if they choose to add their ballot.  But, having received polls from wally_wabash, Li'l Giant, NCF, smedindy, Mr. Ypsi, and adding my own voice to the fray, with those six ballots, here is the semblance of an NRFP for this week:

1. Mount Union, 60 points (1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1)
2. Wabash, 52 points (2, 2, 3, 2, 3, 2)   
3. John Carroll, 50 points (3, 3, 2, 3, 2, 3)      
4. Wheaton, 41 points (4, 4, 4, 5, 4, 4)      
5. Wittenberg, 37 points (5, 5, 5, 4, 5, 5)      
6. North Central, 30 points (6, 6, 6, 6, 6, 6)      
7. Franklin, 21 points (8, 7, 7, 7, 8, 8)   
8. Chicago, 18 points (7, 8, 8, 9, 7, 9)      
9. Heidelberg, 7 points (NR, NR, 10, NR, 9, 7)      
10. Trine, 6 points (NR, 9, 9, 10, 10, NR)

Also receiving votes

DePauw, 3 points (10, 10, NR, NR, NR, 10)
Adrian, 2 points (9, NR, NR, NR, NR, NR, NR)

I know FCGrizzliesGrad mentioned filling out a poll.  I will be glad to add his results next time.  And USee, if he joins back in.

Not trying to usurp anyone's throne here, just offering to fill the void so we have a poll to discuss.
I was small but made up for it by being slow...

http://athletics.cmu.edu/sports/fball/2011-12/releases/20120629a4jaxa

Mr. Ypsi

Thanks for doing this.  I PM'd Wes a few days ago offering to sub for him for the rest of the season, but I never received a reply.

ExTartanPlayer

My quick-hit thoughts:

I think Wabash and John Carroll are fairly interchangeable.  Wabash has looked great this season and has a bigger scalp (in the HSC win) than anything JCU has...but JCU came an awful lot closer to beating Mount last year than the 2013 NCAC champ.  That's not a great way to compare teams in 2014, but absent any other relevant head-to-head data, I think it's fair.  Certainly strong counterarguments to that point.

Wheaton is properly rated based on their season's body of work, but their ceiling may have just climbed a level or two with Peltz breaking out at QB.  That's two straight really good performances, and it's got me wondering if Wheaton's first three or four games are even relevant in evaluating this team. 

As we've been saying all along, there's a major dropoff after #6.

Franklin does not appear to be quite up to their last few season's standards, but probably should not be counted out as a dangerous first-round playoff opponent in the right matchup.

Heidelberg is one of our most interesting points of conversation, even though they're irrelevant in the playoff picture (except as a possible RRO for JCU and Mount).  I postulate that, despite their no-shows against their two best opponents, that everyone below #7 in this poll would get similarly rolled against such quality opposition.  We probably won't get a really good comparison for evaluating Berg against the MIAA team du jour, but my money would be on Heidelberg in such a matchup - all of the other candidates have at least one loss to a far inferior opponent (DePauw vs. Ohio Wesleyan, Adrian vs. Wisconsin Lutheran and Olivet, Trine vs. Manchester and Concordia).

Paradoxically enough, I noted that our MIAA leaders, Trine and Adrian, both fell to NACC opponents last week, which made me wonder if we were improperly considering a "token MIAA rep" when we should be considering a "token NACC rep" - except that the NACC teams who won those games have some ugly warts of their own...
I was small but made up for it by being slow...

http://athletics.cmu.edu/sports/fball/2011-12/releases/20120629a4jaxa

02 Warhawk

Quote from: ExTartanPlayer on November 05, 2014, 03:13:03 PM

Franklin does not appear to be quite up to their last few season's standards, but probably should not be counted out as a dangerous first-round playoff opponent in the right matchup.

I agree. Looking at their schedule, they did exactly what they've been doing in previous seasons:

1) Lose to a top ranked non-conference team early in the year
2) Run the table in the HCAC.

However, what's different about this year is that IL-Wesleyan game. If they were the Grizzlies of yester"years", they would typically have little problems against a three-win team.

Mr. Ypsi

Quote from: 02 Warhawk on November 05, 2014, 03:39:54 PM
Quote from: ExTartanPlayer on November 05, 2014, 03:13:03 PM

I agree. Looking at their schedule, they did exactly what they've been doing in previous seasons:

1) Lose to a top ranked non-conference team early in the year
2) Run the table in the HCAC.

However, what's different about this year is that IL-Wesleyan game. If they were the Grizzlies of yester"years", they would typically have little problems against a three-win team.

But don't forget that that 3-win team was using their #4 qb over half the season.  (Granted, if they were as good as we initially thought they were, they should have beaten Carthage and Augie with a cheerleader playing qb. :P)

Next week the identity of the token MIAA rep (if we have one) will be decided on the field.  Likewise, Wabash's game against Witt this week and JCU's game against Mount the next week should go far in identifying who's #2 and who's #3.  4, 5, and 6 seem pretty well carved in stone, unless Witt beats Wabash or gets monkeystomped.

wally_wabash

The #4 qb thing doesn't hold one drop of water when Simpson 13, IWU 3 is a thing that happened.  2014 IWU isn't very good, regardless of who is playing quarterback. 
"Nothing in the world is more expensive than free."- The Deacon of HBO's The Wire

Mr. Ypsi

Quote from: wally_wabash on November 05, 2014, 04:11:24 PM
The #4 qb thing doesn't hold one drop of water when Simpson 13, IWU 3 is a thing that happened.  2014 IWU isn't very good, regardless of who is playing quarterback.

Yes, we have certainly discovered that on the season has progressed.  Initial expectations were that IWU would battle Wheaton for #2.

grboob

IWU's problems.  QB's, youth all around, recruiting, game plans?????

GRIZ_BACKER

In the realm of things, I wouldn't necessarily consider a labor day game with a new QB and 3-4 turnovers as the bellweather of the current GRIZ. The GRIZ also led UWW and trailed 14-13 at the half.  They can muster up some decent football.  Hopefully they get the chance to head to Crawfordsville 11/22.

HCAC Champions 2007, 2008, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018

Mr. Ypsi

Quote from: grboob on November 05, 2014, 05:12:34 PM
IWU's problems.  QB's, youth all around, recruiting, game plans?????

The first three all seem probable, but not the last.  Norm has been the coach for many, many years, winning a few titles along the way.

bashgiant

Quote from: GRIZ_BACKER on November 05, 2014, 05:22:18 PM

In the realm of things, I wouldn't necessarily consider a labor day game with a new QB and 3-4 turnovers as the bellweather of the current GRIZ. The GRIZ also led UWW and trailed 14-13 at the half.  They can muster up some decent football. Hopefully they get the chance to head to Crawfordsville 11/22.

I would love to see that game!

DPU3619

So sorry gang. Mr. Ypsi has volunteered to take us the rest of the way, which is a tremendous help. Have gotten absolutely piled on at work right at the end of my football season. Trying to launch a new news set and get all our football inventory done has made for a total nightmare. I've gone almost 3 weeks without even making a post, which I'm not sure has even happened since I joined this message board. So, from here until the end of the season, send your ballots to him. Hopefully I'll be back in all my glory next year.

Also, in hastily trying to sort through all my messages to get this thing up as quickly as I could, I accidentally deleted Usee's poll from this week, so we're out of 70 total. I'm just making a total mess of this thing. Here's the Week 9 Fan Poll.

1. Mount Union         70 pts (1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1)
2. Wabash                61 pts (2, 2, 2, 2, 2, 3, 3)
3. John Carroll          58 pts (2, 2, 3, 3, 3, 3, 3)
4. Wheaton               48 pts (4, 4, 4, 4, 4, 4, 5)
5. Witt                      43 pts (4, 5, 5, 5, 5, 5, 5)
6. North Central        35 pts (6, 6, 6, 6, 6, 6, 6)
7. Chicago                21 pts (7, 7, 8, 8, 8, 9, 9)
8. Franklin                14 pts (7, 7, 7, 7, 8, 8, 9)
9. Heidelberg            11 pts (7, 8, 8, 10, -, -, -)
10. Trine                    7 pts (9, 9, 9, 10, -, -, -)

ARV
DePauw                     5 pts (10, 10, 10, 10, 10, -, -, -)
Adrian                       2 pts (9, -, -, -, -, -, -)

The North Region Fan Poll is voted on by Mr. Ypsi, Li'l Giant, and smedindy, NCF, FCGrizzliesGrad, wally_wabash, USee (whose ballot is not seen here, sorry!), and myself.

Mr. Ypsi

As Old Pal Wes mentioned, I'll be subbing for him the rest of the season, so PM the ballots to me ASAP.

FCGrizzliesGrad

For just the 2nd time all year, neither my #9 or #10 team lost. They were a combined 5-10 before this week :o
Football picker extraordinaire
5 titles: CCIW, NJAC
4x: ODAC:S
3x: ASC, IIAC, MIAA:S, NACC:S, NCAC, OAC:P, Nat'l
2x: HCAC, MIAC, ODAC:P, WIAC
1x: Bracket, OAC:S

Basketball
2013 WIAC Pickem Co-champ
2015 Nat'l Pickem
2017: LEC and MIAA Pickem
2019: MIAA and WIAC Pickem

Soccer
2023: Mens Pickem

Mr. Ypsi

Been stuck on 7 ballots for about 24 hours now; I trust there are one or two more still out there?