FB: Old Dominion Athletic Conference

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 05:13:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ralph Turner and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Air Raid

As spring practice gets closer, and rosters are maneuvered it makes me wonder how things will shape up for the fall

My very early preseason poll:
RMC- I believe Ric Flair said, "to be the man you have to beat the man"
HSC
Ferrum
W&L
Bridgewater
E&H
Shenandoah
Guilford
SVU

HSCTiger74

Quote from: Air Raid on March 18, 2019, 01:02:53 PM
As spring practice gets closer, and rosters are maneuvered it makes me wonder how things will shape up for the fall

HSC
Ferrum
W&L
Bridgewater
E&H
Shenandoah
Guilford
SVU

Don't write off SVU yet. I know their record wasn't that good but they played tough (mostly) against the NJAC, which is a very good conference. Posters on their board were very complimentary of the progress they'd made in just a couple of years. They won't challenge for the top spot but they might surprise some folks.
TANSTAAFL

jknezek

Quote from: HSCTiger74 on March 18, 2019, 07:56:32 PM
Quote from: Air Raid on March 18, 2019, 01:02:53 PM

HSC
Ferrum
W&L
Bridgewater
E&H
Shenandoah
Guilford
SVU

Don't write off SVU yet. I know their record wasn't that good but they played tough (mostly) against the NJAC, which is a very good conference. Posters on their board were very complimentary of the progress they'd made in just a couple of years. They won't challenge for the top spot but they might surprise some folks.

I agree with this. I don't think SVU is going to come in as a doormat.

tigerFanAlso2

I hear SVA is not coming to the ODAC but will be joining USAS for all sports.

jknezek

Quote from: tigerFanAlso2 on March 19, 2019, 11:55:51 AM
I hear SVA is not coming to the ODAC but will be joining USAS for all sports.
This wouldn't surprise me in the long run, I think there is a substantial part of the ODAC that just doesn't want them at all but recognizes the challenges of football scheduling, but they are coming for football for this season. It's too late to change that. Wouldn't mind if this was the only season.

Air Raid

[/quote]

I like the HC Mulitalo- 10 years in the NFL means he brings a ton of experience and knowledge.  I just predict a new conference and different teams pose a challenge.  I wish them well, and have no doubt they will play their tails off.  In my opinion, the ODAC has some pretty talented teams and the first season will be a tough go of things.

tigerFanAlso2

don't sell BC short .... they almost beat RMC in Ashland last season

hasanova

Guilford schedule is posted.   Four home and four away in the ODAC, but both out of conference games (Huntingdon and Methodist) are away.  No home game until September 28 and it's Homecoming .... strongly dislike this schedule's timing.  Open with W&L and close with BC instead of E&H in conference.

RowanPhan

SVU was increasingly tough each year but ultimately over-matched in the NJAC. The last few seasons they played Rowan tough. Every year I was amazed by their recruiting abilities, essentially landing guys from all over the country. Rowan is lucky to get 1 or 2 guys from outside NJ each year.

The team I primarily follow is Navy, a triple option program. Hence, I was interested to see how SVU would execute the triple option back when Joe DuPaix was HC - let's just say it wasn't pretty.

DuPaix left to coach slot backs at Navy, and SVU witched to a more traditional offense in 2018. I assume it might take a few recruiting classes to get to where they want to be.
Go Rowan!

HSCTiger64

DeLane Fitzgerald had some success at SVU prior to the move to Frostburg State as well. 

jknezek

Given SVU's player pool, they will improve as the school grows. There is a huge national audience for a Mormon institution, and BYU can't take them all. As SVU continues to establish itself, and improve everything about the school, those kids who want to go to BYU but won't get on the field will look for an alternative institution where they can play and still get the Mormon education they want.

But, SVU still has a ways to go. Though it has come a long way in a short time (for an institution of higher learning), there is no getting around the town it is located in and the facilities from where it started. Lots of investment is still needed to make it a true alternative to simply going to BYU and not playing sports as opposed to going to SVU for a chance to get on the field.

But yeah, I consider SVU a long term dragon waiting to rise.

Ralph Turner

Quote from: jknezek on April 05, 2019, 10:23:17 AM
Given SVU's player pool, they will improve as the school grows. There is a huge national audience for a Mormon institution, and BYU can't take them all. As SVU continues to establish itself, and improve everything about the school, those kids who want to go to BYU but won't get on the field will look for an alternative institution where they can play and still get the Mormon education they want.

But, SVU still has a ways to go. Though it has come a long way in a short time (for an institution of higher learning), there is no getting around the town it is located in and the facilities from where it started. Lots of investment is still needed to make it a true alternative to simply going to BYU and not playing sports as opposed to going to SVU for a chance to get on the field.

+1! The exciting thing for the SVU students of this era is the chance to build their alma mater.

Some new capital investment in facilities, some enthusiastic young forward thinking faculty and real support from the Mormon community and they are that dragon.

I wonder when they will want to be "bigger is better" and set eyes on D-1. That is awfully hard to fight when your new up-and-coming college president sees moving to D-1 as her/his next stepping stone.

jknezek

Quote from: Ralph Turner on April 05, 2019, 03:50:02 PM
Quote from: jknezek on April 05, 2019, 10:23:17 AM

+1! The exciting thing for the SVU students of this era is the chance to build their alma mater.

Some new capital investment in facilities, some enthusiastic young forward thinking faculty and real support from the Mormon community and they are that dragon.

I wonder when they will want to be "bigger is better" and set eyes on D-1. That is awfully hard to fight when your new up-and-coming college president sees moving to D-1 as her/his next stepping stone.

To go D1 they need a whole lot more money. The endowment stands at 1.3M or so in 2017. They only have 1000 or 1100 students. I know, someone is going to point to Presbyterian. 1100 undergrads but 100M or so in endowments. The Blue Hose averages 3 wins a year, usually against non D1 opponents.

It's just a real big ask to be that small and play at that level. I think SVU has a decade, or three, before they can legitimately consider moving that direction.

thescottharris

I don't know what that President is thinking but SVU going D1 would be one of the stupidest athletic decisions I have ever seen a school make. I'll never understand some people's obsession with being D1. Look at Longwood, a school that was pretty competitive as a D2, has been mostly worthless as a D1, but they will harp on and on about being D1. So what? The teams are average at best and most a lot worse than that, what's so great about that? Why is that better than winning a lot and competing for championships as a D2 like they used to?

HSCTiger fan

Why do schools want to be  D1?  Three reasons: money, money and of course money.
Hampden Sydney College
ODAC Champions 77, 82, 83, 87, 07, 09, 11, 13, 14
NCAA Playoffs - 77, 07, 09, 10, 11, 13, 14
The "Game" 60 wins and counting...
11/18/2018 Wally referred to me as Chief and admitted "I don't know about that!"