Kickoff '09: What people are saying

Started by K-Mack, August 25, 2009, 10:05:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

K-Mack

Hey,
created a quick topic for comments about this year's Kickoff. If you bought it, you know comments are enabled "inside the walls," so to speak, so questions and comments can go on each element.

But if you are unsure whether it's worth the investment, here's what readers around D3boards are saying:

From the SCAC board:
Quote from: TigerDad on August 25, 2009, 12:34:47 PM
Just logged in to the brand-spanking new "2009 Kickoff" and took a quick look.  This will require some serious study tonight, but I would like to encourage all you SCAC fans to pony up the $10 (or less) to get your own access.

Trinity fans will be interested to read the stories on of Robby Long at DPU, Hal Mumme at McMurry (TU's first opponent) and that TU is picked as a 'maybe' under playoff teams beyond the top 25.  Some say that the opening schedule of four games on the road will determine TU's season outlook ... I would agree with that assessment. 

Now I'm looking forward to the 2009 edition of the Trinity Tigers!   11 days and counting ...

Quote from: Tacttm1 on August 25, 2009, 10:07:14 AM
*** Just ordered the d3football "Kickoff" ...seems like a solid 10 dollars well spent and it goes to support the boards.  I challenge other SCAC fans to do the same.  (kinda like a pledge-a-thon with out the great acts!!!) ;)

Quote from: D3_DPUFan on August 25, 2009, 02:59:55 PM
QuoteJust logged in to the brand-spanking new "2009 Kickoff" and took a quick look.  This will require some serious study tonight, but I would like to encourage all you SCAC fans to pony up the $10 (or less) to get your own access.

Agree wholeheartedly...at $10 it's a bargain. Pat and his team have done another great job...a real service to all who play, coach or are simply interested in DIII football!

From the NAC board:

Quote from: old 40 on August 25, 2009, 03:14:42 PM
If you have not purchased your Kickoff 2009 then I would recommend you do so. It is very, very good. Purchasing this will give you insight on all the D3 teams and all the conference teams, plus it supports the D3 website. Great Job Pat and Keith. The best work you have done. Great Job.

Very good synopsis on each team in the conference. Sounds like WLU and BU can be very dangerous this year.

From the LL board:
Quote from: dlippiel on August 25, 2009, 05:20:05 PM
Kickoff looks GREAT by the way. What else could be better pre-season reading for D3 football. dippiel is very appreciative of all the hard work and preparation that goes into making the kickoff so great. The U gets ranked 74th and RPI gets the nod at 70th in the rankings. Very interesting to dlippiel that U is ranked that low, let alone behind RPI who does not even have an established QB. Yet dlippiel feels this may be the theme of the U's season, underated and something to prove. Honestly to dlippiel with the U's lack of recruiting info available and the recent struggles he would most likely not give the U much love until they earned it. dlippiel just feels, he knows he is saying it again, that U will sneak up this year and have one of those memorible U years. To dlippiel anything short of NCAA birth is disappointing.

More to come.

Also feel free to chime in with comments, complaints, kudos or suggestions for next year right here. We ARE listening.
Former author, Around the Nation ('01-'13)
Managing Editor, Kickoff
Voter, Top 25/Play of the Week/Gagliardi Trophy/Liberty Mutual Coach of the Year
Nastradamus, Triple Take
and one of the two voices behind the sonic #d3fb nerdery that is the ATN Podcast.

K-Mack

From the NJAC board:
Quote from: rams1102 on August 25, 2009, 01:02:46 PM
Took a quick look at what the Kickoff had to say about the NJAC. It appears that Cortland will go undefeated, Rowan 8-2 (1 loss in conf and one out) and Montclair (2 losses in Conf). Rowan probably losing to Cortland and Montclair losing to Cortland and Rowan. I question why Montclair was picked #21 in the Pre-Season Poll.

From the OAC board:

Quote from: reality check on August 21, 2009, 04:40:31 PM
Quote from: seventiesraider on August 21, 2009, 11:22:32 AM
Ohio Athletic Conference rundown in PD today:

Spotlight On Ohio Athletic Conference Football

After reading this preview, I'm glad we have Kickoff here at D3football.com.  It seemed as though each capsule was done after a quick browse through last year's stats with little attention or research.  Last year's backup was highlighted as ONU's quarterback.  Marietta had just one player mentioned by name.  I read B-W's and thought it would be a good preview but each preview got shorter and shorter it seemed.

Managing Editor, Kickoff
Voter, Top 25/Play of the Week/Gagliardi Trophy/Liberty Mutual Coach of the Year
Nastradamus, Triple Take
and one of the two voices behind the sonic #d3fb nerdery that is the ATN Podcast.

Pat Coleman

Throwing in a dissenting opinion:

Quote from: Purple Heys on August 25, 2009, 01:43:45 PM
Just read through the IIAC on Kickoff

It appears the person who covered our conference did a whole lot of research on Central and not much on anybody else.

I love Kickoff on the whole, but I am underwhelmed by the IIAC section

We can do better though!

How about some Fan camp capsules!

Mine's coming in a couple of days...
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

K-Mack

From the CCIW board:

Quote from: Mugsy on August 27, 2009, 05:41:06 PM
Quote from: Pat Coleman on August 27, 2009, 05:05:22 PM
Quote from: HoosierRedMan on August 26, 2009, 10:16:33 AM
My son told me that Carthage has over 170 kids in camp.  Over 100 returned from last years team.  I was wondering what kind of numbers are in the other camps in the CCIW?

Good thing the high schools have started in Indiana to give me a fix until the RedMen open on the 12th.

Subscribers to Kickoff have access to that information and more:

http://www.d3football.com/kickoff/

This is my 3rd year of subscribing to the Kickoff.  I highly recommend it.  Typically I feel comfortable with my knowledge on what's going on in the CCIW and maybe the North Region, but this gives me all kinds of information on all the other teams, conferences, and stories across the D3 football landscape.

In addition it helps support those who work so hard keep D3Football.com alive and well.  Thanks guys.
Managing Editor, Kickoff
Nastradamus, Triple Take

K-Mack

MWC board kinda goes nuts with the topic:

Quote from: warthog on August 24, 2009, 01:03:10 AM
Quote from: ahig on August 24, 2009, 12:53:32 AM
A nice article about Lawrence's freshmen class coming in.

http://www.lawrence.edu/dept/communications/media/sportsnews/0809/081409.html

Food for thought:  about this time of year, I'm really looking for quality info on both prep and dIII college football.  In the era of Twitter, Facebook, and blogging, what do you all think about an increase in pre-seasonal information?  I'm not talking about any sort of thing with player blogs or anything (b/c I don't believe players should be posting, etc.).  And I get that a coach might want to keep things secret.  However, what if someone from the Midwest Conference headquarters traveled to schools to check in or set up people on each campus to report in on the team (be it football or volleyball or whatever)?  Do you think there'd be interest?  I mean, if Aaron Rodgers is constipated on Monday morning, we know by Monday noon, or if Bret Bielema gets liquored up at the bar on Friday, people know by Saturday morning.  Do you think more coverage of our teams would attact viewers and readers?  How many of you know next to nothing about this year's team when the first game is less than 2 weeks away?

ahig: 

Your wishes are answered. 

For great preseason information sign up for the D3Football.com annual Kickoff report. 

For update information check in regularly to the web-site throughout the season.  You'll get so much D3 information your head will spin.

(appreciate the endorsement, BTW)

Skip a few, and ...

Quote from: Pat Coleman on August 25, 2009, 10:16:32 PM
Quote from: ahig on August 24, 2009, 09:33:14 PM
Hey Roop,

From my perspective, your perspective was wrong.  Don't care about gossip.  That was my way of poking fun at the media and their sometimes outlandish reporting.  Unfortunately, when conversing like this, no one truly understands one's tone.  Thanks for the scolding though, Chet.

Warthog, awesome idea.  But how "in depth" can that publication really get?  Not enough for me to purchase it.  There are two things in this world that I won't pay for...ok, one, and that's info on my team, my conference..."no ordinary conference" mind you.  I do and will check d3 football.com often.

In closing, I check area newspapers every day and this time a year, with d3 camps open all around, there is no mention of anything.  Go on midwestconference.org and there's no "A word or two with Coach So-and-so."  I'm just curious (about the teams mind you and the football players and their football player-ness) and want to learn more.

You don't need info on your own team, no doubt. You should know that better than we do, though I would hope that there's at least one nugget that you didn't know in your own team's capsule.

But where does your team stack up in Division III? Where does your conference? (Hint, perhaps the MWC got a jump in our rankings since last year.)

If you want quality info, you're on the right site. You may not be able to get it for free, though. We need to keep the lights on and advertising doesn't fully cover the server bills, costs of covering games, etc.

http://www.d3football.com/kickoff/ -- $9.95, $5.95 if you have a .edu email address.

Tough crowd. :)
Managing Editor, Kickoff
Nastradamus, Triple Take

AUPepBand

Pep would be interested if any alfred.edu folks purchased Kickoff. Pep put a plug in the ALFRED SUN (Aug. 27 issue) about the feature on the Saxons and hopes it generated some new customers for Kickoff. Certainly is worth way more than $9.95 (or $5.95) when comparing its complete coverage of 238 D3 squads to the minimal D3 info available in the football mags ($6.95 or more).

Great job!
On Saxon Warriors! On to Victory!
...Fight, fight for Alfred, A-L-F, R-E-D!

Pat Coleman

Pep: Eight Alfred fans have purchased Kickoff, but I don't have easy access to the dates. That's not a bad number, though. If all 238 schools' fan bases purchase eight, phew, we'd be really happy.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

HSC85

Hey Pat,

How many people from Hampden-Sydney purchased the Kickoff publication?  This is my first year and I am extremely impressed.  It really gives you background and analysis on every team in D III.

Ron Boerger

Quote from: HSC85 on September 23, 2009, 09:42:24 AM
Hey Pat,

How many people from Hampden-Sydney purchased the Kickoff publication?  This is my first year and I am extremely impressed.  It really gives you background and analysis on every team in D III.

It would be interesting to get a summary of how many purchases were made by conference, or at least the top ten conferences if Pat doesn't want to share the exact number of Kickoff copies sold this year.   :)

SJSUPhil

How about those Top 25 ranked Redlands Bulldogs. Watch out D3er's, this team is really good!