2018 World Cup Bracket Challenge

Started by blooter442, June 08, 2018, 12:57:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SoccerMom_5

Lol.  I literally only signed in to see if Mr. Right was complaining about France's defensive-style games.  Now I wish I would have signed in earlier, because I had France to win it all. 

On another note, and don't know if it will help on this world cup, but for future reference, there are some really easy solutions for watching international games.

I have been using my VPN, and signing in as though I am in France and watching it on TF1.  Then I just Chromecast the game to the big screen.  If you don't speak French and you want to follow the announcers, just sign in as though you are in London and watch on the BBC sports channel.  It's free both places.   If you don't have a VPN (your work probably does), you can always get  super-easy to use VPN access pretty cheaply from ExpressVPN or something similar. . 

I have found a VPN is absolutely always the best way to watch international soccer.  And Both France and England have done a great job with this year's World Cup coverage

Anyway...  Just FYI if the coverage is disappointing you.

Quote from: Mr.Right on June 11, 2018, 02:23:51 PM

Good work Bloots...Before getting started TWO THUMBS DOWN to FOX for only sending 2 of 6 commentating teams to Russia. John Strong and Stu Holden which is their #1 team so get used to Holden's voice all the way up to the final and JP Dellacamera and Tony Meola their #2. Here is the Deadspin article going into how Fox is doing this on the cheap. I like John Strong and Holden is decent but not of JP. Meola is ehh. Cannot stand Derek Rae...Just some really bad announcing teams...Will miss Darke and McManaman and John Champion...I do give Fox credit for bringing along a solid studio team especially Guus Hiddink.

My favorite quote of the article and possibly the funniest thing I have read in a couple days..."Fox Sports is essentially punting on the World Cup, its entire broadcast plan a limp clusterf*ck, and I for one will be watching the tournament on Telemundo."

https://deadspin.com/fox-sports-is-half-assing-the-world-cup-1825544146

Group Winners in Bold and Underlined with 2nd place Bold.

Group A-----Uruguay and Russia-----Russia is one of the weakest hosting nations ever but I cannot remember a host nation not advancing except for South Africa in 2010. 1986 Mexico was not a contender but they won a decent group with Belgium, Paraguay and Iraq. 1994 USA got out of the group of death with Romania with one of the best players in the world at the time in Hagi and quite possibly the most talented team in the world at the time in Colombia and a decent Switzerland team. In 2002, I think Japan got through as well. So whether its the Home Field or a corrupt ref / player or 2 Russia will get through this group. Uruguay is everyone's sleeper pick and I agree they are mighty talented with the 2 CB's and Suarez / Cavani and company. BUT there is ALWAYS one talented team at every World Cup that absolutely SELF-DESTRUCTS. Think France in 2010. I think Uruguay is primed for this role especially if they lose their 1st game. Tons of talent / A manager on his last leg / possible in-fighting and like the USA in 1998 all you need is one player sleeping with another's wife and there you have it. 50/50 Uruguay either cruises or self destructs.

Group B-----Spain and Morocco------Interesting Group dynamics here. You have Portugal and every Portuguese favorite coach Carlos Queiroz coaching Iran. I actually am a fan of Queiroz and will not count Iran out just yet. Spain v Portugal matchup as the 1st game is fantastic for the neutral. The defending Euro 2016 Champs run out of luck in this group. I think the upstart Morrocains snag 2nd.

Group C-----Peru and France------The French have so so much talent but if they play like they did at Home against the US on Saturday against a side with an average of Caps of 6 they are not going far. This is a difficult group IMO. Peru just got fantastic news that their top striker is ok'd to play and their Argentine Coach Ricardo Gareca is a solid manager. When they defeated Brazil in the Copa Am in 2016 at Gillette to end Dunga's run and get to the quarters they proved they belonged. A real slow start in COMMEBOL looked ominous but they went on a tear to qualify with a little help from others. First WC since 1982 and they will be busting. They play defensive against better competition but counter well. Ever since their amazing run to the 1992 Euro Title in Sweden when they did not even qualify but were admitted because of the brewing Yugoslav Wars in the former Yugoslavia forced them to drop out after qualifying. Denmark proceeded to advance out of their group on the final day and defeat Germany and Holland on their way to the title. Amazing story. Anyway, I will not count out Erickson and company but their match against Peru should decide who advances. Australia I do not see moving on with a 38 year old Tim Cahill an company but I have seen more shocking things before. Decent Group for sure with different styles.

Group D-----Argentina and Croatia-----This group will go as planned. This is not Nigeria of 1994. Everyone's favorite team Iceland could possibly get blown out of Russia by Argentina 6-0. Winner of Croatia / Nigeria gets 2nd but Croatia is the better side with better talent.

Group E-----Brazil and Costa Rica-----Brazil is just loaded and breezed through a tough COMMEBOL. They will go 3-0-0 to win the group. I was impressed with Costa Rica in qualifying and think they could snag 2nd but Serbia has more talent and Switzerland will play a tedious style that could get them through. A total toss-up honestly for 2nd.

Group F-----Germany and Mexico----See Group E...Germany cruises to 3-0-0 and a total battle for 2nd. This is not Guus Hiddink's South Korea of 2002 or Sweden of 1994 but they both still have talent.

Group G----Belgium and England-----Belgium has SO MUCH talent that they will win this group if they could defend they would be my sleeper to win it all but they cannot defend. Secretly every American's team to root against England will snag 2nd. I do think Gareth Southgate was a good choice and they have the talent to get to the Quarters but they will screw it up somehow. I know nothing about Tunisia and while I was impressed with Panama in qualifying I do not see them getting a result against either Belgium or England.

Group H----Colombia and Senegal----Colombia just to much talent to not win this group even though I wish they would sack Pekerman as I am not a fan of his conservative tendencies especially with the quality that Colombia has. Still they are mighty tough to break down. Senegal is my upset pick as I think Poland crashes and burns. The Japanese will bust ass but it will not be enough to qualify BUT if there is a Group(which there always is) that gets turned on its head and defy's all predictions this would be my Group to pick.

Round of 16---Winners underlined and in bold.

Germany v Costa Rica

Colombia v England

Spain v Russia

Argentina v France-----Hope my predictions are right and we get this R16 matchup.

Brazil v Mexico

Belgium v Senegal

Uruguay v Morocco

Croatia v Peru

Quarters----Winners underlined and in bold

Germany v Colombia
Spain v Argentina
Brazil v Belgium
Uruguay v Croatia---I know I said Uruguay would self destruct but jesus the winner of Group A has the absolute easiest route to the Semi's.

Semi's-----Wilnners underlined and in bold with score

Germany v Spain  2-0
Brazil v Uruguay   3-1

3rd Place

Spain v Uruguay   5-4

Final

Brazil v Germany  1-1 PK's

JFPIV

Soccer Mom, would VPN work for European club games as well?

blooter442

I can't say if VPN would work in the way JFPIV wondered (I might guess so), but I have had success going to /r/soccerstreams on reddit. Pretty much every game of a given day will have at least a few high-quality streams. Of course, I am not endorsing it (it is probably not on the legal side of things), and you'll definitely want an adblocker of some sort, but I prefer to listen to Martin Tyler on Sky over Arlo White on NBCSN if I can.

lastguyoffthebench

Coverage of the tournament by Fox was absolutely sub par... it's like the knew they were losing money with USMNT out, so they half-assed the entire broadcasts.    No tactical analysis on computer screen shots, captain obvious statements, and just a total let down.

I'm way beyond tired of Alexi smug Lalas...   

SoccerMom_5

Sorry for the delay in response.

Yes!!!  Using a VPN works great!  You just have to know what local channels carry the game (BBC Sports and TF1 are a good bet for big games...)   and sign in on your VPN for that country and then log in to the channel's live stream.  It is pretty easy to do.  I recommend ExpressVPN if you don't have one from work.  It is very reliable, extremely user-friendly, and not at all expensive :)
You can probably also find a free VPN service for use now-and-then, but sometimes they aren't worth much.   

Quote from: JFPIV on July 16, 2018, 10:59:31 AM
Soccer Mom, would VPN work for European club games as well?

JFPIV