MBB: Massachusetts State Collegiate Athletic Conference

Started by Nikki, March 03, 2005, 01:25:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nikki

Mustang23, who is Rider? there is no Rider on SSC's roster

Bigdaddy

Potsdam is a lot more "big" than tall. They are large muscular and fast. If the two big men from Salem are the light weights that it sounds like they are...they will get knocked around like a pinball.  

Potsdam out rebounds teams by about +9.5 a game. Potsdam sometimes has more offensive rebounds than other teams have rebounds. We have two guys that live for O boards.  

Now Salem is very tall. And from what people have said...they can run. So...from a fan perspective it should be a fun game to watch.  

My predition again....It will be even or Salem up at half time. Potsdam will win by 13. Edane Barton will abuse whoever is defending him and either put up 20-25 pts...or a double double.  

All that and he probably wont even start.

mustang23

Anybody see the game it was a one point win it must have been a good one....

unbearable

It sounded extremely evenly matched, as you might expect from two 25-3 teams.  Congrats to the Vikings on a great year.
Gee, I'm real sorry your mom blew up, Ricky. - Lane Myer

BJ

I saw the game and it was a good one. Wilkins Victor was good, probably the quickest Potsdam has faced. And the backup Willie Philips was pretty quick too. I don't think either team liked the officials but nobody ever does. For what it's worth Potsdam had 10 fouls with 10 minutes left in the game. At one point the foul situation was 9-2 in favor of Salem. The biggest lead was 6 points by Salem twice, once in each half. Potsdam never led by more than 4. Potsdam led by 1 at the half. Salem led most of the game though there was 16 ties. It seemed like Potsdam didn't shoot very well with the exception of one second half spurt. But they scored big during that spurt and hit the free throws at the end. A great game to watch.

mustang23

Well it seems as though the stars for each team didnt produce too much, which probably means they were scouted well....For SSC Anosike only had 10 pts and 6 rebs. and 2 blocks where he averages 12 rebs. and 4 blks per game and he only played 21 min......Reid also only had 9 pts and Bloom only had 6 ....For Potsdam the hyped Barton only had 5 or something

The Bear

Anosike lost a contact lens on a collision under the hoop, and probably sat in the first half for two or three minutes until they found his spare.  Then he came back into the game and got his second foul right away.  He got two quick fouls in the second half and sat until the last two or three minutes.  Potsdam's two big men were sitting in the first half from 10 minutes on due to foul trouble.

Potsdam won because of a huge second half from Ernst Ducena.  he hit 5x7 from the arc, and also played great defense.  Salem gave Potsdam lots of trouble with their zone and their athleticism
Ducena made three treys and Ryan Lynn a fourth in a two and half minute stretch of the second half to take Potsdam from a 5 point deficit to a two point lead.  From there out it was hammer and tongs defense and a foul shooting contest, which Potsdam won.

Kudos to Michael Brooks.  With both Potsdam starters on the bench, he came into the game and played 18 first half minutes.  He had 9 first half rebounds with a great display of hands and boxing out.  He kept Potsdam alive in the first half with his rebounding and post defense.

Potsdam defensive ace Ryan Lynn blanketed Reid.  Most of Reid's points came on loose ball scrambles or FT's.

Barton contributed, Potsdam had 8 guys play at least 20 minutes, and they showed why they're an excellent team, stop one player and a couple others will beat you.

Potsdam & Fisher - The one we've been waiting for all season, Potsdam, (Only NYS D-III team to finish a season unbeaten) needs to get it done. they've done it twice before against Hamilton, knocking off a top ranked team in the post-season.

Bigdaddy

Anosike seemed bigger than 6'8. Wilkins Victor is one the fastest points guards I have seen at this level. He truly can get himself open for a shot.  

Tyler Lang had a great game.  

Christian Turner only played about a minute of the first half. THis was a big deal for Potsdam in the first half in attempting to guard Lang. Edane Barton at 6'3 even guarded Lang a bit.  

Its hard to have Edane Barton in...when Ernst is shooting the lights out. You gotta stay with whats Hot.  

Evril Clayton seemed to have another poor game. He is due for a break out night.

mustang23

Yeah other than Wilkins Victor i have seen very few guards in D3 that had his speed....In the beginning of the year Westifeld State had a PG named Bayete Gordon who would have eaten Victor for breakfast, but i think he failed off the team or something...It would have been a site to see these two play

Bigdaddy

Because we have so many guards...our guys were able to cope with his speed. Instead of staying with him...they switched constantly on him....and in that way were able to block some of his shoots and give him some turnovers.

mustang23

I saw the box score it seemed pretty strange...Normally Wilkins doesn't look for his shot, only if he is wide open and if he has to...And normally Reid shoots almost every time he touches it..ANd Lang almost never scores..Very surprising

The Bear

Wilkins got a lot of layups on drives.  Potsdam were so focused stopping the two big guys, & Reid, that Victor was able to drive to the hole.  

Reid didn't get that many touches, he was covered very closely. Even when he brought the ball up, he was closely guarded from about 30 feet in, and had several near 5 second calls when he tried to shake & bake.

Bloom DID shoot every time he touched it, many of them terrible shots.  IMHO he really hurt Salem with poor shot selection.

Lang had to step up with E only playing 20 minutes.  He & Phillips really came to play, which should bode well for the Vikings next year.

When E was out, they went with a lineup of Victor Reid, Phillips, Bloom & Lang.  Occasionally for matchup issues, they would play Bradshaw, but Phillips was much more effective.  

Salem played great zone for about 35 minutes, unfortunately Potsdam figured it out, set some monster screens and hit four straight threes down the stretch.  Salem's small guards, athletic as they are, are a mismatch for an athletic 6'1 jump shooter, particularly when they have to fight through a 6'7 240# screen.

The foul trouble pretty much cancelled, Anosike and Turner both played 20 minutes, best defender vs. stud in the middle.  Bloom & Lang fouled out in OT, but part of that was Potsdam focusing on getting the ball inside with Anosike out of the game.  

A classic, film should be worth watching.  

IMO, Vikes are probably the #2 team in New England after Amherst, and I doubt you would ever see Amherst schedule them.  Can't believe WPI or Springfield are any better than Salem.  Most athletic physical team we've seen all year.

mustang23

Well Salem's schedule is pretty weak as is WPI...I would have to say talent wise they are the second best team. But team wise WPI could give them a good run for their money...Salem seems to never schedule anyone in the top 25...They should but dont

The Bear

My experience says that teams like Salem try to schedule better teams, but no one wants to play them.  

You notice Amherst plays a couple of MASCAC teams, but not Salem.  Teams like Salem with a coach that's not afraid to recruit JUCO's and inner city kids, and mold them into a team are scary for anyone to play.