BB: Pre-season All-American Teams

Started by Jim Dixon, January 17, 2008, 07:41:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim Dixon

Quote from: A.G. on January 09, 2009, 10:52:00 AM
Other than the north portion...not much love for the South Region.  Power numbers appear to count for A LOT for the position players.

I have a lot of love for the south.  I stole a Virginia gal away and brought her to the frigid north :)

A.G.

I imagine this must be a brutal preseason team to pick, on top of being a tough end of the season.  There are so many variables, such as field size (bandbox with prevailing winds vs grand canyon type fields), competition, weather, etc.  I think you guys do a great job with a tough assignment. 

My biggest surprise was no JOE DEVLIN of Lynchburg, on any of the teams, after being 2nd Team AA SP last year as a Junior.  I guess folks are not yet believers since he does not rack up the high K #'s...but again, neither did Maddux.  Joe is a similar type pitcher.

dgilblair

Quote from: baseballbaseball on January 09, 2009, 09:17:01 AM
Quote from: DGilblair on January 08, 2009, 06:23:09 PM
Quote from: baseballbaseball on January 08, 2009, 11:22:48 AM
pre-season all american list comes out today hopefully and im looking foward to seeing the south region players that are represented. I expect to see Bailey (cnu) Delvin (LC) and Moore (ncwc) at least represented, and it would be a mistake if all 3 are not atleast on the Honorable Mention team, espeically the VA boys.  Good luck to those three and i hope  and will see if d3baseball really has a honorable pre season all american list

Easy there baseballbaseball......It's just a pre-season list and I know it is an honor to be on it but what is a honorable list?  If your guys are not on it and they are at the end of the year they have then proved your point.  I just don't get the Honorable thing.  People vote on it, do you think these guys and or gals would have a bias against and region or a team.  I don't see it.

DG,   id advice you to look at the history of all the pre-season all american list and then look at the post season all american list before you get on a wall post and tell me or any other person to be easy. Usually people on this site know what they are talking about but i guess they let anyone have a chance to say their word.

Guess your right.......  Who would you take out and replace with a player from the south?

ECSUalum

pre-season all american list comes out today hopefully and im looking foward to seeing the south region players that are represented. I expect to see Bailey (cnu) Delvin (LC) and Moore (ncwc) at least represented, and it would be a mistake if all 3 are not atleast on the Honorable Mention team, espeically the VA boys.  Good luck to those three and i hope  and will see if d3baseball really has a honorable pre season all american list

Easy there baseballbaseball......It's just a pre-season list and I know it is an honor to be on it but what is a honorable list?  If your guys are not on it and they are at the end of the year they have then proved your point.  I just don't get the Honorable thing.  People vote on it, do you think these guys and or gals would have a bias against and region or a team.  I don't see it.

DG,   id advice you to look at the history of all the pre-season all american list and then look at the post season all american list before you get on a wall post and tell me or any other person to be easy. Usually people on this site know what they are talking about but i guess they let anyone have a chance to say their word.

If there is anyone on this site who knows what they are talking about it is DGilblair.

For someone with just 25 posts, perhaps you can be a bit more open minded on this topic!!!!

baseballroxmysox

Quote from: DGilblair on January 09, 2009, 05:43:49 PM

Guess your right.......  Who would you take out and replace with a player from the south?

The West wasn't shown much love either - only two players - Kitchens and Hedman.  But we are just fans... the people who put this together know MUCH more than all of us.  I'll stick with their choices :)

dgilblair

Quote from: ECSUalum on January 09, 2009, 08:29:51 PM

If there is anyone on this site who knows what they are talking about it is DGilblair.

For someone with just 25 posts, perhaps you can be a bit more open minded on this topic!!!!

Easy there ECSUalum.....LOL....Many know much more.  I have over the last four years seen many good players and team.  WEst coast, East coast and many good players and teams during the regionals and championship so I do form opinions even though I didn't in that post.  I have not seen much of Southern teams and no I didn't look up the past years pre-season and compare it with the final AA list because I really don't care.  I just didn't think those that were making the selections would be bias of the south or should I say unhonorable.  Those that think the selections are that far of base should select their own AA teams and keep score at the end of the year.  I'll take the one that is selected on this site.  Shawn has no bonus clause in his contract for being selected pre-season or finale AA.  Now if he gets Player of the Year it's a extra peanut butter and jelly sandwich between doubleheaders.

Ralph Turner

Actually the West Region locked down 4 slots...

Kitchens, Booher (UT-Tyler), Hedman and Cameron (UOzarks AR).

The South garnered 5...

Boyle, Owen, Miller, Bailey and Willey

baseballroxmysox

You're right - I was only thinking actual West Coast - California, Oregon, Washington, not Region. 

Ralph Turner

Quote from: baseballroxmysox on January 09, 2009, 09:28:46 PM
You're right - I was only thinking actual West Coast - California, Oregon, Washington, not Region. 
A great Pre-season all-American candidate, CMS's Alex Weber-Shapiro, transferred to UCLA this year.

That is the hard thing at this level.  We don't always hear of the transfers, in or out.

One thing to consider is that these players give us something to compare the other 15 or so at each position (roughly the first and second all-region performers who will be named) who are "in that league".

ECSUalum

Quote from: DGilblair on January 09, 2009, 09:23:13 PM
Quote from: ECSUalum on January 09, 2009, 08:29:51 PM

Easy there ECSUalum.....LOL....Many know much more.  I have over the last four years seen many good players and team.  WEst coast, East coast and many good players and teams during the regionals and championship so I do form opinions even though I didn't in that post.  I have not seen much of Southern teams and no I didn't look up the past years pre-season and compare it with the final AA list because I really don't care.  I just didn't think those that were making the selections would be bias of the south or should I say unhonorable.  Those that think the selections are that far of base should select their own AA teams and keep score at the end of the year.  I'll take the one that is selected on this site.  Shawn has no bonus clause in his contract for being selected pre-season or finale AA.  Now if he gets Player of the Year it's a extra peanut butter and jelly sandwich between doubleheaders.

I was hoping it would at least be a peanut butter and fluff, lol
you are correct, unless you have watched all of these fantastic players, multiple times, it is hard to make the callon the preseason AAs.  I suspect there are many deserving players, that do not make the list,  and of course every homey has his favorites ;)

Ralph Turner

Quote from: A.G. on January 09, 2009, 04:19:34 PM

My biggest surprise was no JOE DEVLIN of Lynchburg, on any of the teams, after being 2nd Team AA SP last year as a Junior.  I guess folks are not yet believers since he does not rack up the high K #'s...but again, neither did Maddux.  Joe is a similar type pitcher.
Devlin is kinda fish/kinda fowl.  He went 8-0 in 16 games with 3 saves.  He only pitched 55 innings.  ERA was good at 0.98, but he allowed 43 hits and 12 walks in those 55 innings.

Kitchens' ERA was 0.31; Booher went 11-1 and started 14 games; Bayer (Trinity CT) went 7-0 (ERA1.14, WHIP 0.85) in the regular season for the champs.

Ralph Turner

Quote from: A.G. on January 09, 2009, 10:52:00 AM
Other than the north portion...not much love for the South Region.  Power numbers appear to count for A LOT for the position players.
Yes, there are some good power numbers in there, but the defense up the middle is respectable too.

Catcher -- Killeen (Trinity CT) had one error in 270 chances!  Brockman was not quite as strong, 6 errors in 220 chances.

2B -- Boyle had 5 errors in 208 chances (.976). Gerdes had 3 errors in 161 chances (.981). White had 4 errors in 162 chances (.975).

SS -- Kolb was unbelievable!  2 errors in 167 chances (.988)!  Kaczrowski had 7 errors in 155 chances (.958). Bailey had 9 errors in 192 chances (.953).

OF -- The 2 best fielding averages among the 6 OF's selected were Youchak (.980 47PO 2A 1E) and D'Alfonso (.971 65PO 3A 2E).

I also found these numbers for fielding...

3B -- Wagle FA .942; 41PO 90A 8E.
1B -- Claugherty FA .986; 256PO 22A 4E
1B -- Hedman FA .990; 356PO, 21A, 4E

Ralph Turner

I chased down Ben Moore's stats to give the readers a perspective of where he stood last year.  Those are good numbers. Maybe he will have a "breakout" year.

Player                 ERA   W-L   APP  GS  CG SHO/CBO SV    IP   H   R  ER  BB  SO  2B  3B  HR   AB B/Avg   WP HBP  BK  SFA SHA

MOORE, Ben..........  3.20   8-2    12  12   4   0/0    0  84.1  91  55  30  22  54  12   0   5  328  .277    5   4   0    4  10

Old Man

How about the Chevaleir kid from KSC?

C      PO   A     E   Fld %  DP's
Jamie Chevalier.....   256  110 141   5   .980      37   

Also one of 9 players to win 'RAWLINGS GOLD GLOVE" award for 2008 and and 1 of 4 that is back for '09.

OM

Jim Dixon

Quote from: Ralph Turner on January 09, 2009, 09:34:33 PM
Quote from: baseballroxmysox on January 09, 2009, 09:28:46 PM
A great Pre-season all-American candidate, CMS's Alex Weber-Shapiro, transferred to UCLA this year.

That is the hard thing at this level.  We don't always hear of the transfers, in or out.

One thing to consider is that these players give us something to compare the other 15 or so at each position (roughly the first and second all-region performers who will be named) who are "in that league".

If  Alex Weber-Shapiro stayed at CMS he would have been on the preseason team.  The SCIAC has been going through a down period but blame UCLA for taking a true talent off the D3baseball.com preseason All-American list.

For my money look at the Northwest Conference.  Pacific Lutheran, George Fox all bring in eperienced teams with few holes to vie for a spot in Linfield.  Don't count out the Wildcats either.  They proved they belong.