MBB: College Conference of Illinois and Wisconsin

Started by Board Mod, February 28, 2005, 11:18:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

iwumichigander

Quote from: Gregory Sager on March 07, 2015, 12:11:44 AM
Quote from: veterancciwfan on March 07, 2015, 12:08:16 AMAs I understand it, regular CCIW and WIAC refs are not allowed to call D3 tourney games in which those conf. schools play. I could be wrong about this.

That's correct.
yes, and it maybe interesting to see whom gets assigned to officiate the game

Titan Q

Quote from: Gregory Sager on March 06, 2015, 08:13:21 PM
The first foul was a classic, as Seibring head-faked Norris off of his feet in the low post in order to draw the foul. But neither of the charges that he drew from Norris were good calls. The first one was borderline at best, as Seibring was right on the edge of the inner arc and definitely appeared to be inside it. The second one, which came on a transition play in the second half, was just plain blown by the refs.

I just watched this play on the On Demand.  It was a very clear cut charge.  Seibring was completely set, well in front of the semi circle, and Norris went right through him.  An absolute no-brainer charge call.

http://portal.stretchinternet.com/uwsp/
(Play happens with IWU up 6-5, 16:49.)

Titan Q

Quote from: Gregory Sager on March 06, 2015, 08:13:21 PM
The first foul was a classic, as Seibring head-faked Norris off of his feet in the low post in order to draw the foul. But neither of the charges that he drew from Norris were good calls. The first one was borderline at best, as Seibring was right on the edge of the inner arc and definitely appeared to be inside it. The second one, which came on a transition play in the second half, was just plain blown by the refs.

And now I just watched the second for the heck of it.  I'm pretty sure any neutral evaluator of that play would consider it a very clear charge.  Seibring was dead set, in front of the semi-circle, and Norris plowed right over him.

I'm not sure what you were looking at on these, Greg, to say that "neither of the charges that he drew from Norris were good calls." They were both absolutely the right calls.

Really good defensive plays by Seibring on both.

http://portal.stretchinternet.com/uwsp/
(Play happens with IWU up 50-36, 12:23.)

Gregory Sager

Didn't look that way at all on either one, but since there's no way in the world I'm going to bother to watch that game again, I'm stuck with having to take your word for it.

(Since you went to the trouble of marking down the time for the first charge, I figured I'd at least do you the courtesy of looking at it. But the link you provided doesn't indicate that UWSP is offering that game on demand yet.)
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

I believe the games have been taken offline... as they should be :) - NCAA rules.
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

Gregory Sager

Ah. Well, that explains why I was looking for a link that wasn't there. ;)
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

Titan Q

Illinois Wesleyan (20-8, 10-4 CCIW) @ UW-Stevens Point (22-5, 15-1 WIAC), 7:00pm...

Illinois Wesleyan (20-8, 10-4 CCIW)
G - Dylan Overstreet, 6-3/180 Sr. (11.3 ppg, 4.6 rpg, 4.6 apg)
G - Bryce Dolan, 6-0/165 Jr. (8.5 ppg, 2.1 rpg, 2.2 apg)
G - Pat Sodemann, 6-3/195 Sr. (8.9 ppg, 2.7 rpg)
F - Mike Marietti, 6-8/245 Jr. (7.7 ppg, 4.0 rpg)
C - Trevor Seibring, 6-8/235 So. (9.4 ppg, 6.1 rpg)

G - Jordan Nelson, 6-1/170 Sr. (10.5 ppg)
F - Ryan Coyle, 6-6/208 Jr. (7.6 ppg, 4.3 rpg)
F - Alec Bausch, 6-6/210 So. (5.6 ppg, 4.7 rpg)
G - Joel Pennington, 6-0/175 Jr. (4.8 ppg)
G - Brady Rose, 6-2/170 Fr. (4.5 ppg)

UW-Stevens Point (22-5, 15-1 WIAC)
G - Austin Ryf, 6-0/185 Sr. (11.6 ppg, 4.1 rpg, 3.0 apg)
G - Stephen Pelkofer, 6-1/195 Jr. (11.1 ppg, 4.3 rpg, 2.4 apg)
G - Joe Ritchay, 6-3/210 Sr. (11.3 ppg, 3.7 rpg, 2.8 apg)
F - Jordan Lutz, 6-4/190, Sr. (10.8 ppg, 3.2 rpg)
F - Alex Richard, 6-4/210 Sr. (12.9 ppg, 4.0 rpg)

G - Sean McGann, 6-4/190 Jr. (6.9 ppg, 4.1 rpg)
G - Caden Untiedt, 6-4/180 So. (1.5 ppg)

Live video - http://portal.stretchinternet.com/uwsp/

Live stats - http://athletics.uwsp.edu/sports/2012/11/11/MBB_1111125949.aspx

WJBC Radio - http://portal.stretchinternet.com/wjbc/

Pat Coleman

Quote from: Greek Tragedy on March 06, 2015, 11:42:27 PM
Quote from: Mr. Ypsi on March 06, 2015, 11:15:51 PM
And, unless Northwestern can pull out back-to-back miracles, Elmhurst should be headed to the Sweet Sixteen.  Predicted attendance tomorrow night: 47. ;D

I will take the under.  :)

I'll take the over. It'll be great weather for driving and Northwestern fans, especially, have to be thrilled at having a team advance.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

iwu70

Q, thanks for the extra assessments on the Seibring defensive plays.  I think he played well, those charges were key to the early part of the game, vs. Norris.  That's my story and I'm stick'n with it.  :)

SP looked very good, very solid all 'round.  Looks like Ryf is the guy to stop, more a worry than Norris ever was.  It's not every day you see a squad where all starters average in double figures . . . and all starters made their all conference team, is that right?  A great challenge, a great opportunity for our TITANS. Whitewater and the Tommies out -- more surprises to come?

Would love to see three CCIW teams in the Sweet Sixteen, though Augie has a pretty big challenge on their hands too.  Even at home.  Titans will surely face a very hostile environment, but why not?  It's that time of year.

EC game a real beauty, a real classic.  Hope they have some gas in the tank on Saturday night.

Pretty good video feed to me in HK -- from Stevens Point.

IWU70

Both CCIW women's teams, WC and NCC, lost in the first round.  Season done.  ms

Titan Q

With the St. Thomas loss, things have gotten interesting in the bottom/right part of the bracket in terms of sectional hosting.

Looking at this from a CCIW perspective, let's say the Sweet 16 field is:
* Elmhurst
* Claremont-Mudd-Scripps (East Texas Baptist)
* Illinois Wesleyan
* Emory (Whitworth)

I'm pretty sure Emory would be the highest seed, but having the sectional in Atlanta would require 3 flights.  I don't think Claremont-Mudd-Scripps or East Texas Baptist are logical choices based on seeding, but also based on flights required (3).  So in this hypothetical, it could come down to IWU and Elmhurst...and IWU is clearly the higher seed over EC.

Now let me stress, in this case the sectional could definitely go to Emory (if the NCAA is willing to pay for the extra flight)...but IWU would have an extremely realistic chance.  The Titans could be playing tonight for the right to host a sectional.

Just a little added drama to throw into the mix.

Titan Q

Looking at Augustana's chances to host a sectional, here are the relevant seeding numbers in Augie's Sweet 16 grouping...

(I'm looking at this from an Augie perspective, so assuming a win over DePauw.)

Augustana: .852/.584/7-2 (Central #1)

Mount Union: .786/.555/4-5
Calvin: .800/.511/3-1

Defiance: .769/.478/0-1
St. Olaf: .808/.527/1-5

Marietta: .893/.519/4-3 (Great Lakes #1)
Wooster: .786/.551/3-2

The first question is, who is the highest seed?  Marietta is the only one of these teams that could be a higher seed than Augie...but I'm confident Augie's numbers have the Vikings as the higher seed of the two.  So Augie is in great shape as far as seeding - the Vikings seem to very clearly be the highest seed in the Sweet 16 grouping.

So then we look at geography.  Using Massey to pick winners, let's say...
* Augustana (Rock Island, IL)
* Mount Union (Alliance, OH)
* St. Olaf (Northfield, MN)
* Marietta (Marietta, OH)

This is two flights either way.  Either Augie and St. Olaf have to fly to the Ohio schools, or vice versa.  So Augie wins as the highest seed.

Now where it gets interesting is...
* Augustana (Rock Island, IL)
* Mount Union (Alliance, OH)
* Defiance (Defiance, OH)
* Marietta (Marietta, OH)

Defiance as the sectional host would require zero flights - all 4 schools are within 500 miles.  But I just don't see Defiance as a realistic option based on seeding.  I think it comes down to Augustana or Marietta.  Marietta would mean just 1 flight...Augustana would mean 2 (Defiance can bus to Rock Island).  And Marietta might be close enough to Augie as a seed to justify saving the $$ and giving it to Marietta.

So bottom line, if you are an Augie fan, you are a big St. Olaf fan tonight.  As long as St. Olaf is in the Augie Sweet 16, providing another "west" anchor, Augie is a lock to host the sectional.

Hope I'm not missing something obvious, but that is how I see it.

KnightSlappy

I think Mount Union would host in the bottom scenario. Dave #gleaned that the Purple Raiders jumped into the #1 spot in the GL in the final rankings. Other than that, I agree. The other interesting thing (to me) is how the NCAA would deal with Wooster, they list Wooster-to-Augustana as 500.0 miles. I don't know how that counts.

Defiance/St. Olaf certainly looks like the key game. If St. Olaf wins I think Augie gets the sectional host. If Defiance wins I think it comes to the Great Lakes.

Titan Q

Quote from: iwu70 on March 07, 2015, 02:27:34 AM
Q, thanks for the extra assessments on the Seibring defensive plays.  I think he played well, those charges were key to the early part of the game, vs. Norris.  That's my story and I'm stick'n with it.  :)

These were both great defensive plays by Seibring.  In both situations he anticipated where Norris was heading, got to a perfect spot outside of the semi circle and got set, and took the charge. 

Seibring is a smart kid -- fortunately for Titan Nation, much smarter than his father (who is not the sharpest tool in the shed).

Titan Q

Quote from: KnightSlappy on March 07, 2015, 09:09:14 AM
The other interesting thing (to me) is how the NCAA would deal with Wooster, they list Wooster-to-Augustana as 500.0 miles. I don't know how that counts.

Tie goes to the bus!

kiltedbryan

Quote from: Titan Q on March 07, 2015, 09:12:01 AM
Quote from: KnightSlappy on March 07, 2015, 09:09:14 AM
The other interesting thing (to me) is how the NCAA would deal with Wooster, they list Wooster-to-Augustana as 500.0 miles. I don't know how that counts.

Tie goes to the bus!

Wooster opened the 2008 NCAA tournament with a neutral-court loss against eventual champions Wash U at Augustana. So the Scots have been sent there before without a flight, but I think the NCAA was using a different distance calculating tool at that time. The mileage was definitely 490+ but it wasn't 500 exactly.