MLB Topics

Started by Mr. Ypsi, February 08, 2008, 06:32:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr. Ypsi

Quote from: Ralph Turner on August 12, 2018, 02:50:11 PM
In Cooperstown, Nolan Ryan is listed as "Primary Team LA/California Angels", but his ballcap says "T", Texas Rangers with other mention  of the NY Mets and Astros.

Nolan Ryan is one of my all-time favorites.  In fact, younger son's middle name is Ryan.  (I suspect wife picked the name for Ryan O'Neal, but I know who he's really named after!)

Ralph Turner

Mr. Ypsi

Quote from: Mr. Ypsi on August 10, 2018, 09:54:00 PM
Final from Comerica: Twins 10 hits, 3 runs; Tigers 3 hits, 5 runs.

The losing team out-hitting the winning team is not unusual, but the margin of difference seems quite rare to me.

Maybe not as rare as I thought - tonite at Yankee Stadium the Tigers outhit the pinstripers, 9-2, yet lost 2-1. :( 

Daniel Norris, in his first game back from groin surgery in late April, had a perfect game thru 4, but walked the leadoff batter in the 5th, got an out, then yielded a two-run HR.  The offensively-impaired Tigers got plenty enough hits, but none at the crucial times.

Jim Dixon

Quote from: Mr. Ypsi on September 01, 2018, 10:35:24 PM
Quote from: Mr. Ypsi on August 10, 2018, 09:54:00 PM
Final from Comerica: Twins 10 hits, 3 runs; Tigers 3 hits, 5 runs.

The losing team out-hitting the winning team is not unusual, but the margin of difference seems quite rare to me.

Maybe not as rare as I thought - tonite at Yankee Stadium the Tigers outhit the pinstripers, 9-2, yet lost 2-1. :( 

Daniel Norris, in his first game back from groin surgery in late April, had a perfect game thru 4, but walked the leadoff batter in the 5th, got an out, then yielded a two-run HR.  The offensively-impaired Tigers got plenty enough hits, but none at the crucial times.

This begs the question, what is the largest deficits in hits for the winning team. 

Jim Dixon

Ralph Turner

Jim Dixon

Ralph Turner

Mr. Ypsi

Wild start to the game at Comerica tonite.  After two innings, the Tigers led the Royals 9-5! :o  (After that the game got downright routine - Tigers won 11-8.)

Can't recall the last time BOTH starters stunk so badly.  Tigers' starter Matthew Boyd (who I STILL think will eventually be a star) was pulled with one out in the second, having yielded 6 hits and five runs (though only two earned).  Royals' starter Jorge Lopez was even worse: he yielded 5 hits, 4 runs in the first, then 3 and 3 in the second without getting a single out.  "Game scores" (an MLB.com invention?), where starting pitchers begin at 40 and go up or down from there (haven't investigated the specific rules) had Boyd at 10 (which is horrid) and Lopez at -9 (which I can't ever recall a negative score).  When I called my Tiger fan buddy after the second (who hadn't tuned in), I said you've got to check out the "pitching duel of the decade"! :o

Bombers798891

Quote from: Mr. Ypsi on September 20, 2018, 11:14:08 PM
Wild start to the game at Comerica tonite.  After two innings, the Tigers led the Royals 9-5! :o  (After that the game got downright routine - Tigers won 11-8.)

"Game scores" (an MLB.com invention?), where starting pitchers begin at 40 and go up or down from there (haven't investigated the specific rules)

http://m.mlb.com/glossary/advanced-stats/game-score

had Boyd at 10 (which is horrid) and Lopez at -9 (which I can't ever recall a negative score).

https://www.golfdigest.com/story/dyaln-bundy-just-delivered-the-worst-pitching-performance-in-mlb-history

Ralph Turner

Ralph Turner

Mr. Ypsi

Shane Greene, the Tigers' closer, has set a first in the entire history of MLB: 7 saves in the team's first ten games!  I was surprised that it had never happened before, until I thought it through.  First, only a relative handful of teams win at least 7 of their first ten games.  Secondly, those good enough to win 7+ will probably have at least a few blow-outs, where there is no save.  Thirdly, until relatively recent times, such teams would probably have at least one pitcher winning a complete game, so no save.

I'm still surprised it had NEVER happened before, but understand why it would be an extreme rarity.  The Tigers are definitely offensively impaired (27 runs in 10 games), but have been blessed with outstanding pitching so far (the starters have a combined 2.02 era, yet have only ONE win amongst them - all the rest are losses or no decisions)!

Mr. Ypsi

Someone to keep an eye on.  Casey Mize, the #1 pick in the 2018 MLB draft, was just promoted from single A to double A, because he was so totally dominating single A (1 run, 25 Ks, in 26 innings).  Double A may not be a challenge either - in his first game he pitched a no-hitter!  The Tigers may well have found their eventual replacement for Justin Verlander and Max Scherzer! ;D

Mr. Ypsi

Two more (VERY obscure) achievements today:

Stephen Strasburg became the quickest ever (in terms of innings pitched) to reach 1,500 strike-outs.  He did it in 1,273.1 innings, besting Chris Sales' previous record of 1,290.

And Noah (Thor) Syndergaard became only the 7th man in MLB history to pitch a 1-0 shut-out where the only run was the winning pitcher's home run.  The last one to do it was Bob Welch of the Dodgers (and the EMU Hurons, my employer for most of my career) in 1983.