FB: Minnesota Intercollegiate Athletic Conference

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 05:19:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

OzJohnnie

Quote from: Texas Ole on April 24, 2020, 09:53:15 PM
Over the years in Texas I have been I am going to die from countless other viruses such as swine flu (H1N1), West Nile, and others.  I am sorry to report that I am still here to drive some of you insane.

[  

Pat Coleman

I actually think D3 schools for the most part are best equipped to handle the loss of athletics for a year.  If you are playing D3 you probably care more about your education than your sport.  That probably rings true with several other sports at all levels.  The schools that will suffer are those who rely on athletics to meet the bottom line. 

A large school such as St. Olaf may not have an issue but there are many Division III schools who do rely on athletics to meet the bottom line. At many schools, student-athletes make up well more than a quarter of the student body, and if some of those students don't feel as connected to campus without athletics and therefore don't show up for the fall ... it could be hugely problematic for the bottom line.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

OzJohnnie

Well, Bartch missed out on the third round but he's not far off.  Tomorrow?  Fingers crossed.
[  

BDB

Quote from: Pat Coleman on April 24, 2020, 11:40:08 PM
A large school such as St. Olaf may not have an issue but there are many Division III schools who do rely on athletics to meet the bottom line. At many schools, student-athletes make up well more than a quarter of the student body, and if some of those students don't feel as connected to campus without athletics and therefore don't show up for the fall ... it could be hugely problematic for the bottom line.

I think this is dead on. My son is a current D3 student athlete and I don't believe he would be at the school he attends without having been recruited there. And I know that approximately 25% of his fellow students are in athletics.

UW-Eau Claire is in the process of adding baseball (among a couple sports) and I read that one of the reasons was to boost enrollment.

57Johnnie

Quote from: art76 on April 24, 2020, 02:46:32 PM
Quote from: hazzben on April 24, 2020, 02:42:12 PM
The story of these boards. BDB = Too Much Talent for WI. It's why he's always in here  8-)

Another chortle, just what I needed Hazz - +K
+k all around on that.
You youngsters will not know what I am talking about but:
I guarantee you that Dunn County hasn't seen that kind of talent since Andy Pafko.  ;)     :D
The older the violin - the sweeter the music!

BDB

Quote from: 57Johnnie on April 25, 2020, 10:26:22 AM
You youngsters will not know what I am talking about but:
I guarantee you that Dunn County hasn't seen that kind of talent since Andy Pafko.  ;)     :D

Just a small town kid from Boyceville that made the baseball big leagues and did well. "Handy Andy" has the baseball facility named after him in that small town.

BDB

We've got a shot at another Dunn county sports pro today if Menomonie native Nate Stanley (QB Iowa) gets drafted.
Vikings would be a good spot for him.

Robert Zimmerman

Bartch to Jacksonville, picked at 116, one pick before the Vikings.

Shamrock

Caz Bombers

Bartch to the Jags in the 4th round, congratulations and DDDDUUUUUVVAAAALLLLL

SUMMIT!!!!!

Quote from: Pat Coleman on April 24, 2020, 11:40:08 PM
I actually think D3 schools for the most part are best equipped to handle the loss of athletics for a year.  If you are playing D3 you probably care more about your education than your sport.  That probably rings true with several other sports at all levels.  The schools that will suffer are those who rely on athletics to meet the bottom line. 

Base on its president's conduct a year ago, I doubt St Olaf likes being called "big" and thinks big school= bad place. Ironically, they keep hiring D1 flunk outs.
After the game, the king and pawn go into the same box.

Italian proverb

OzJohnnie

Quote from: Robert Zimmerman on April 25, 2020, 12:36:03 PM

Woohoo!  I'm relieved.  I was afraid that he would end up at a team I hate.  The Jags are new enough that I haven't had the chance to build a solid case of resentment.  I don't recall a heartache loss for the Vikes against them.
[  

sjusection105

Good for Ben!
Florida has no state income tax, even better for Ben!
As of now they're on DOUBLE SECRET Probation!

repete

Jags scouting director .... former Tommie Mark Ellenz.

SUMMIT!!!!!

Quote from: sjusection105 on April 25, 2020, 05:48:19 PM
Good for Ben!
Florida has no state income tax, even better for Ben!
no state income tax but they make up for it in other ways-- sales tax on virtually everything (including groceries) being first to come to memory.
After the game, the king and pawn go into the same box.

Italian proverb