FB: Minnesota Intercollegiate Athletic Conference

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 05:19:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pat Coleman

Quote from: SUMMIT? on April 25, 2020, 09:12:17 PM
Quote from: sjusection105 on April 25, 2020, 05:48:19 PM
Quote from: Robert Zimmerman on April 25, 2020, 12:36:03 PM
Bartch to Jacksonville, picked at 116, one pick before the Vikings.
Good for Ben!
Florida has no state income tax, even better for Ben!
no state income tax but they make up for it in other ways-- sales tax on virtually everything (including groceries) being first to come to memory.

Pro athletes (and entertainers and the like) also have to pay income taxes in the jurisdictions where they compete or perform, which can be a pain in the ass.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

retagent

Jacksonville was a very nice area when I last was in that region (mid 90's) I have a friend who goes there in winter for a few weeks. He goes there to avoid the congestion of the Miami, and Tampa to Fort Meyers crowd at that time of year. Lots of good golf there, and up to the Golden Isles area in Georgia. Don't know if he indulges though.

faunch

Received an email from someone that was listening to KFAN this morning. Apparently they had a college football "expert" on and the person said  that the NCAA is looking at starting division 1 football in January and canceling divisions 2 and 3.
Anyone else heard anything?

"I'm a uniter...not a divider."

MUC57

Quote from: faunch on April 26, 2020, 04:34:51 PM
Received an email from someone that was listening to KFAN this morning. Apparently they had a college football "expert" on and the person said  that the NCAA is looking at starting division 1 football in January and canceling divisions 2 and 3.

faunch

I haven't heard anything but I sure hate the sound of that! Was this "expert" really an expert?
Wow! Will the rumors start flying now? I guess we probably won't know anything definitive for awhile.
Go Football! 🏈 🍺 😷
I'm old! I get mixed up and I forget things! Go Everybody! 🏈 ☠

sjusection105

I have heard that football would be played in the spring. Canceling D2 & D3 would not be surprising, D1 with  TV revenue is where the money is made. After losing March Madness and all the revenue it generates, the NCAA can't jeopardize D1 football not having a season. D1 Football & Men's D1 basketball is what makes non-revenue sports possible.
We, as D3fans, complain about the 500 mile bus ride come play-off time and without D1 Football & D1 Men's basketball paying for travel expenses there will be no bus rides to complain about.....
As of now they're on DOUBLE SECRET Probation!

MUC57

Quote from: sjusection105 on April 26, 2020, 05:44:29 PM
I have heard that football would be played in the spring. Canceling D2 & D3 would not be surprising, D1 with  TV revenue is where the money is made. After losing March Madness and all the revenue it generates, the NCAA can't jeopardize D1 football not having a season. D1 Football & Men's D1 basketball is what makes non-revenue sports possible.
We, as D3fans, complain about the 500 mile bus ride come play-off time and without D1 Football & D1 Men's basketball paying for travel expenses there will be no bus rides to complain about.....

I know you're probably right but I still hate the sound of it! 😰 😷
I'm old! I get mixed up and I forget things! Go Everybody! 🏈 ☠

OzJohnnie

Why cancel?  Sure cancel the post-season. No money. But conference play can continue if a conference wants. And I don't see why the MIAC wouldn't be having a good look at business as usual.

The bug, as has been known for a couple months and is blatantly obvious now, is not any different than the usual run of bugs for the vast majority of the population. The over 65 and otherwise vulnerable really need to watch themselves.  Certainly the athletes are no more at risk of this than any other bug going around. Keep the grandparents home and watching on the internet, but otherwise reduce the crowds (Tommies won't need to worry there) and continue on.
[  

Texas Ole

Quote from: MUC57 on April 26, 2020, 05:48:02 PM
Received an email from someone that was listening to KFAN this morning. Apparently they had a college football “expert” on and the person said  that the NCAA is looking at starting division 1 football in January and canceling divisions 2 and 3.

I know you're probably right but I still hate the sound of it! 

I think I heard the stat for many schools at the D1 level paid attendance is about 80% of the revenue.  Many towns rely financially on some of those teams for additional revenues.  We forget that while football with its TV has huge numbers those numbers are often spread over all sports.  The even more shocking issue is that the College Football Playoff is not owned or run by the NCAA.  The loss of the NCAA basketball tournament may force the expansion of the college football playoff and takeover by the NCAA. 

I do think several of the Pac 12 schools are planning for no athletics, but when it comes to the playoff in football they haven't played the last 3 years anyways so it makes sense.  Pat and others have argued, and I will agree there are D3 schools that rely on athletics for enrollment.  If you knew your school could fail without athletics would you give it up for a year?  I think some schools are seriously asking that question.  Are there MIAC schools that would severely suffer if football and other sports were to disappear for a year?  My guess is the MIAC's stance on graduate players puts it in worse shape than other conferences.  Even worse for the MIAC is that most schools are based off a traditional on campus experience.  I do think there are other reasons to be hopeful about the MIAC.

My guess is in the next 60 days if not sooner we will have pretty clear understanding of the virus.  We will know if we can contain or not.  We will also have more data on safety and treatments for it.  If schools can open they will do it.  If schools are open there will full activities.  The NBA is opening practice venues.  NHL players are returning to North America, and players are traveling between the US and Canada.  I believe baseball will be back soon.  I have some some personal opinions regarding the science that I will leave off this board, but I see very few scenarios where schools not be open and in full session this fall.  If that happens then we have football this fall!

Quote from: OzJohnnie on April 26, 2020, 06:33:33 PM

Why cancel?  Sure cancel the post-season. No money. But conference play can continue if a conference wants. And I don’t see why the MIAC wouldn’t be having a good look at business as usual.

The bug, as has been known for a couple months and is blatantly obvious now, is not any different than the usual run of bugs for the vast majority of the population. The over 65 and otherwise vulnerable really need to watch themselves.  Certainly the athletes are no more at risk of this than any other bug going around. Keep the grandparents home and watching on the internet, but otherwise reduce the crowds (Tommies won’t need to worry there) and continue on.

There are other schools who lack crowds too!  I have been to plenty of MIAC games with more people on the sidelines than in the stands.  I said won't get in to my thoughts on the science, but I think you are nailing several of the points.  We haven't controlled the virus yet, and I am not sure what makes us think we will in the future.

Bartman

Quote from: OzJohnnie on April 25, 2020, 04:27:42 PM
Quote from: Robert Zimmerman on April 25, 2020, 12:36:03 PM
Bartch to Jacksonville, picked at 116, one pick before the Vikings.

Woohoo!  I'm relieved.  I was afraid that he would end up at a team I hate.  The Jags are new enough that I haven't had the chance to build a solid case of resentment.  I don't recall a heartache loss for the Vikes against them.
Congrats to Bartch on being drafted by the Jags. Bartch joins Ali Marpet in the NFL as 2 great D3 lineman on opposite coasts of Florida. Good luck .
"I never graduated from Iowa, but I was only there for two terms - Truman's and Eisenhower's."
Alex Karras
"When it's third and ten, you can take the milk drinkers and I'll take the whiskey drinkers every time."
Max McGee
"I love football. I really love football, As far as I'm concerned, it's the second best thing in the world".
Joe Namath

Pat Coleman

Those decisions would each be made by the divisions themselves and not by "the NCAA." 
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

hazzben

Congrats to Bartch! Good luck and here's a to a long career and proving week in and week out that there is talent in D3  :)

57Johnnie

Quote from: BDB on April 25, 2020, 11:25:04 AM
We've got a shot at another Dunn county sports pro today if Menomonie native Nate Stanley (QB Iowa) gets drafted.
Vikings would be a good spot for him.
The prescient BDB comes through.  ;)
The older the violin - the sweeter the music!

SagatagSam

Quote from: Pat Coleman on April 25, 2020, 09:32:51 PM

Pro athletes (and entertainers and the like) also have to pay income taxes in the jurisdictions where they compete or perform, which can be a pain in the ass.

Yeah, there is usually a mention by a local outlet what the Yankees have to pay in Minnesota income taxes each time they come for a three game series against the Twins.

Several years ago, Jeff Saturday sued the City of Cleveland over this. He was on the Colts roster. The team went to play the Browns. Saturday was injured and did not even travel with the team to Cleveland for the game. The Colts mindlessly withheld Cleveland's municipal income tax from Saturday's paycheck and even paid it to the City. Saturday had to sue the City of Cleveland and appeal it all the way to the Ohio Supreme Court. He won in the end (and probably had to pay twenty times more in attorneys fees than the $3,594 refund he was demanding), but it just goes to show how reliant some jurisdictions are on that outside entertainer/athlete/etc. income tax money.
Sing us a song, you're the piano man
Sing us a song tonight
Well, we're all in the mood for a melody
And you've got us feelin' alright.

Caz Bombers

Quote from: SagatagSam on April 27, 2020, 11:39:33 AM

Yeah, there is usually a mention by a local outlet what the Yankees have to pay in Minnesota income taxes each time they come for a three game series against the Twins.

Several years ago, Jeff Saturday sued the City of Cleveland over this. He was on the Colts roster. The team went to play the Browns. Saturday was injured and did not even travel with the team to Cleveland for the game. The Colts mindlessly withheld Cleveland's municipal income tax from Saturday's paycheck and even paid it to the City. Saturday had to sue the City of Cleveland and appeal it all the way to the Ohio Supreme Court. He won in the end (and probably had to pay twenty times more in attorneys fees than the $3,594 refund he was demanding), but it just goes to show how reliant some jurisdictions are on that outside entertainer/athlete/etc. income tax money.

I work in payroll, and I practically break out in hives thinking about how pro sports payrolls and salary caps are tracked (spreadsheets on spreadsheets on spreadsheets); then imagining how everything is turning on a dime with leagues withholding money from players because of the virus and AAAAAAGGGHHH I just gave myself anxiety

SagatagSam

Quote from: Caz Bombers on April 27, 2020, 11:51:37 AM
Quote from: SagatagSam on April 27, 2020, 11:39:33 AM

I work in payroll, and I practically break out in hives thinking about how pro sports payrolls and salary caps are tracked (spreadsheets on spreadsheets on spreadsheets); then imagining how everything is turning on a dime with leagues withholding money from players because of the virus and AAAAAAGGGHHH I just gave myself anxiety

Sorry, Caz. My bad. Can I get you some Pepto Bismol? A stiff drink? Both?
Sing us a song, you're the piano man
Sing us a song tonight
Well, we're all in the mood for a melody
And you've got us feelin' alright.