MBB: Great Northeast Athletic Conference

Started by Hoops Fan, December 17, 2004, 12:05:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

D3HoopJunkie

Yes Saint I found that to be pretty comical myslef LOL

D3HoopJunkie

We can add another commitment for the Falcons. Per the New England Recruiting Report website Ryan Pittman a 6'0" guard from Bunnel HS in Stratford has committed to Coach Oliver and Albertus Magnus.

I personally have never seen him play but I distinctively remember reading about him numerous times in the CT Post. From my readings he is a polished scoring guard who can get to the rim and really improved his shooting from his Junior to Senior season. Another good get for Albertus. A true freshman!

CJ Davidson and Ryan Pittman so far!

D3HoopJunkie

Where's my Albertus posters at this off-season??? Has anyone heard of any more recruits that are headed to New Haven? We got the 2 true freshmen I have mentioned so far but has anyone heard of anybody else?? Maybe a few more JUCO studs??? I know Oliver is going to reload so we might just have to wait and see.

The only interesting thing I heard this offseason so far was that Oliver was expanding his recruiting base and going after talent in Mass and North of CT now instead of primarily and almost exclusively the NY/NJ and CT area. It was just a rumor I heard and I don't know how much truth is to it but who knows. At this point I am pretty sure this guy can recruit anywhere and land talent. If he is headed to Mass and other areas I am sure other D3 Coaches who are more familiar with those areas will try and buckle down guys much sooner if they know Oliver is in the "area"!! I know I certainly would if I were them!

Saint-Paul

Saw the You Tube Video on the Albertus recruit Ryan Pitmann.  Very sharp pass first point guard.  His video showed him finding open men all over the court.  He was quick and athletic with a good handle.  His quick first step helped set up his passing by blowing by his man, drawing a helping defender, and then dishing the ball for an easy layup.   The video did not show his shooting ability. His only offense was a few layups off dribble penetration, but still, a very valuable point guard.

The only other recruiting news that I saw was Lasell signing a very sharp passing point guard from Malden HS in Ct.  His was also listed as a pass first type of point guard.  I think those type of players are very valuable to a programs success.

Mr. Ypsi

Quote from: Saint-Paul on May 28, 2015, 09:06:14 PM
Saw the You Tube Video on the Albertus recruit Ryan Pitmann.  Very sharp pass first point guard.  His video showed him finding open men all over the court.  He was quick and athletic with a good handle.  His quick first step helped set up his passing by blowing by his man, drawing a helping defender, and then dishing the ball for an easy layup.   The video did not show his shooting ability. His only offense was a few layups off dribble penetration, but still, a very valuable point guard.

The only other recruiting news that I saw was Lasell signing a very sharp passing point guard from Malden HS in Ct.  His was also listed as a pass first type of point guard.  I think those type of players are very valuable to a programs success.

Even better, of course, is a true PG who can also take over the scoring directly when needed.  Those come along in D3 at most perhaps 1-2 times a year (for the entire division).  IWU had one who won the national title as a freshman, was on D3hoops all-decade first team, but saw his best teammates graduate, and learned how much good luck (in addition to talent) is required to make a deep playoff run: Korey Coon never made it back to Salem.

D3HoopJunkie

Good friend of mine who has close ties to the team told me over the weekend that Coach Oliver and Albertus landed a stud combo guard from NY as well as a few other extremely solid recruits and JUCO players. He wont give me any names of the players but he assured me they are all top talent players for the D3 level.

From what he said, this recruiting class could be Oliver's best in terms of overall skill and depth. I hope this is true! I cant wait for the season to come around.

Does anyone know of any other happening for the Falcons this off season????

givengo

Have never seen any update after Tavon Sledge's injury at Dickinson.  I've thought about him often after that evening and wondered how he made out.  Anyone know?

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

I have been told he will or has recovered just fine, though he certainly did a good amount of damage to his arm which required a good amount of recovery and physical therapy (if my memory serves).
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

Saint-Paul

Watched with envy this summer as several New England schools changed coaches.  UMass Boston, Wheelock, Western New England, Johnson State, and Curry College all selected new coaches.  Good luck to all the new coaches in the area.  Saints fans are jealous. 

D3HoopJunkie

Saint - I have to say I always look forward to seeing your name on the boards. Always fun to read your latest rant or jab at the Saints head coach.....even in the off-season!

As for us Falcon fans I almost couldn't believe my eyes!! The schedule for the 2015-2016 season is out! Its never out this early which is exciting because it just means we're that much closer to the start of the season. I will dig into the non conference opponents a little later and write another post about the overall strength (or lack there of) of this seasons non conference slate.

In other Falcon news per albertusfalcons.com our Head Coach and savior Mitch Oliver will be one of the speakers at the Nutmeg State Games Coaches Clinic. A nice honor for Oliver to be chosen considering the other Coaches who were also chosen are all very high level and highly respected Coaches within the State of Connecticut. Howie Dickerman from D1 Central Conn, Tom Moore from D1 Quinnipiac and James Jones from D1 Ivy League Yale just to name a few. It says that Coach Oliver will be going over offense and the transition game which to me and I'm sure all Falcon supporters would agree is just so fitting. Oliver is a tremendous offensive mind and that is evident in the stats that his teams have put up nation wide during his tenure as Head Coach. Congrats Coach Oliver!

Lastly....Recruiting!! It has been so quiet this off season I have to say I am a little nervous! Normally by now we have heard of at least 1 or 2 studs that Oliver has landed but I haven't heard any specific names yet other than rumors of a few really polished transfers. The only thing I know for sure is that he has a true PG coming in from out of state that is suppose to be outstanding. I don't know his name but I was told that he is official and that he is a true freshman which is even better. I have a feeling we arent going to get any info until the seasons first game this year.....unless anyone else would care to elaborate?????????      PLEASE!!!!

Saint-Paul

This year could be the first time in a long time that the Saints
break out of the bottom of the GNAC conference.  On paper they are
returning two quality big men, four athletic guards, and a small forward
with three years of varsity experience. How that same lineup managed
only 7 conference wins last year is still a mystery to Saints fans.
Especially since at least 10 conference games fall into the category of
" gimmies ".

It is always difficult to make any preseason predictions about the
Saints upcoming season without seeing the new roster because the Saints
coach does not have a strong track record of player retention.  It is
not just freshman who quit on this guy, it is sophomores, juniors, and
seniors, it is leading scorers and rebounders, it is starting point
guards, it is team captains.  It will be interesting to see which
players return from last years team. If all or most of the players who
started games last year return again, this Saints team has a good shot
of finishing in the top 4 spots in the GNAC. They should win at least
12, maybe 13 GNAC games. Well, then again, it was a weak conference last
year also and the Saints still only managed 7 conference wins, so Saints
fans can't take anything for granted.

Do you guys see any potential shift upwards in the bottom of the GNAC other than the Saints?  JWU and ST Joe should be back on top along with Anna Maria.  How will Albertus be this year?  They lost a lot of points, rebounds, and assists to graduation.  Does Albertus remain in the top three spots? 

D3HoopJunkie

Saint,

There is certainly going to be a shakeup in the conference this year with the exception of the top spot which clearly belongs to JWU. I think the parity overall of the conference in terms of competition may be the best it has been in a number of years. But with that being said I believe JWU will be the clear favorite to take this year GNAC Championship. From a pure talent standpoint they are hands down the favorite and if you look at what Oliver and Albertus must replace I am afraid it may not happen this year.

I still think that Albertus will be in the top 3.......And I firmly believe that as long as Oliver is there they will never fall below a top 5 in the conference. He has established such a great reputation in terms of recruiting and being a coach that guys love to play for and I think that speaks for itself especially when you look at his record and the way he has turned this program around and made them relevant nationally.

So here is my preseason rankings if you will.......And by the way Saint I believe that the Saints could be primed for a much improved year!

1. JWU - So much talent returning, well coached and ready to finally get their shot!
2. Albertus - Coaching, Coaching, Coaching, Oliver will have this relatively young squad ready to go and JWU better not take them lightly come GNAC tourney time
3. St. Joes - Very well coach team who is disciplined and seems to do all the little things right, Not to mention nobody likes traveling to Standish to face these sharpshooters
4. Lasell - Without question one of the better coached teams but I just dont see them making a big jump this season. They play as hard as anyone though
5. Anna Maria - Solid team who is very tough at home but lacks the superior talent to win out on the road
6. Rivier - My wild card pick but they do return everyone except one player...I just don't know if they have the discipline and coaching to really make this jump
7. Emmanuel - Coaching is the only thing that will deter this team from improving.....They certainly have talent
8. Norwich - A team you never think about but they always play hard and most importantly they play the game right
9. Suffolk - New Coach New Regime could spell for a long season for the Rams.....Program turnarounds normally take time to develope
10. Mt. Ida - Yikes.....While they do return some talent including Duhon who I think will be an all conference player....its another long season for this bunch

Saint-Paul

Well, some good news and some bad news about the Saints roster.  The bad news is that five underclassmen from last year are no longer on the team.  The good news is that only one of them was a starter, a guard, so both big men are back again this year.  How the Saint's coach gets away without being held accountable for the worst player retention record in the GNAC every year is still a mystery to Saints fans.  So, with both big men back I am predicting that the Saints will finish fourth this year, behind JWU, Albertus, and St Joe.  Both Anna Maria and Lasell had trouble containing the Saints big man last year and I see that trend continuing again this year.  I see the Saints " twin towers"  causing problems for all the bottom GNAC teams and possibly an upset or two with some of the top conference teams.  I will be the most interesting conference play in a long time and a lot of the games will be meaningful right into mid February.  Enjoy the season GNAC fans.

GnacAlum55

Didn't realize the Suffolk coach left until reading D3HoopJunkies post from last week.  I checked in with one of my buddy's in the league and he told me today that he is that guy that runs HoopDirt.com.  I never knew that. 

D3HoopJunkie

I posted this on the All American Board yesterday so I copied it here for all Albertus and GNAC supporters

Former Albertus Magnus standout center Victor Ljuljdjuraj has signed a professional contract with Hoverla Ivano-Frankivsk of the Ukrainian Basketball Superleague. Congrats to Big Vic......He was a truly gifted D3 Player who was a tremendous defender and equally great scorer. I wish him all the best as he was a really nice young man too. Went out on the court every night and played the game right.......Rarely complained and always had the same calm and relaxed expression on his face yet underneath it all he was the ultimate competitor.

Also from what I found Big Vic posted a double double in his first game with the team.

I have been hearing news that both Eian Davis and Tavon Sledge, 2 really gifted guards from last season teams are also looking to make the move to professional basketball as well. Will update accordingly if I hear any more news.

Is it Friday Yet!!!!!!

GNACALUM55.......Good to have you back. Thats very intersting about the Suffolk coach. I had no idea he was the one who ran and operated that website. Certainly interesting. Is he devoting his time just to that now or did he find another job? Perhaps he can post his plan on his website since I would certainly consider that HoopDirt worthy news!!