WBB: College Conference of Illinois and Wisconsin

Started by wheatonc, March 03, 2005, 06:18:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gregory Sager

Quote from: Dave 'd-mac' McHugh on May 01, 2018, 02:54:23 PM
Quote from: Gregory Sager on April 30, 2018, 11:11:00 PM
Quote from: duckfan41 on April 30, 2018, 11:24:31 AM
This is a change in pace from current discussion, but I was looking at the new schedule for Wheaton next season and they open up against Thomas More at home. You could imagine my surprise seeing this as Thomas More is one of the premier programs in the country and I would not have expected a home matchup with them right away. It will for sure be an early measuring stick for this young Thunder team and I'll be interested to go out and see just how good the Top tier of D3 women's basketball really is.

Thomas More is moving to the NAIA. It will be an NAIA school for sure in 2019-20, and it may yet opt to move to the NAIA for this coming school year and play as an independent in that organization. So it may not be a "top tier of D3 women's basketball" team after all.

No... they aren't moving to NAIA next academic season. They are moving forward as an independent in DIII for 2018-19. They have been making schedules across all sports accordingly. They are also making a last ditch attempt (from what I can tell reading through many comments and reports) to stay in DIII after the upcoming year, but they need a dance partner. They are approved to enter the NAIA for 2019-20 if they cannot find a way to stay in DIII.

But again - they are not leaving sooner than summer of 2019.

Yes, I see now that Thomas More updated its statement two weeks ago:

http://www.tmcsaints.com/general/2017-18/releases/20180417pd5yyb
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Not sure what needed to be updated. I am also working on knowledge I have had for six-plus months, so I can sometimes not be sure what is public and what is not public.
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

Pat Coleman

Quote from: Dave 'd-mac' McHugh on May 01, 2018, 05:50:02 PM
Not sure what needed to be updated. I am also working on knowledge I have had for six-plus months, so I can sometimes not be sure what is public and what is not public.

You remember -- the first version of that release was unclear. The second paragraph wasn't added until after the first version of the story had already made the rounds.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Quote from: Pat Coleman on May 01, 2018, 08:52:22 PM
Quote from: Dave 'd-mac' McHugh on May 01, 2018, 05:50:02 PM

You remember -- the first version of that release was unclear. The second paragraph wasn't added until after the first version of the story had already made the rounds.

I highlighted the part I thought was also important.
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

Pat Coleman

Point of clarification: Greg, are you able to read Dave's mind? :)
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

Gregory Sager

"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

iwu70

Fourth IWU recruit:   Ms. Brooke Lansford, Blue Valley West HS in Kansas. 

Welcome to the TITAN nation, Brooke!

'70

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

My only point being, Pat, that some of what I thought may have been known already... may not have been. It wasn't to say others should have known... it was to say I may have thought it already to be known. SMH

Gregory Sager

lmitzel

Last night I got to attend North Central's postseason banquet and see off the last remnants of the team that made the NCAA Tournament three years ago.

The main highlights:
-Maya Walls was Defensive MVP
-Mayson Whipple was Offensive MVP
-Freshman Bekah Foley was the inaugural recipient of the Helen Muleya Memorial All Smiles Award
-Mayson Whipple received the Liz Pearlman Perseverance Award
-I think Michaela Reedy got the Cardinal Spirit Award or something like that (I was distracted by my 1 year old's elite escapability)

And as far as next year I hear rumblings that North Central's incoming recruiting class is supposed to be fantastic.
Official D-III Championship BeltTM Cartographer
2022 CCIW Football Pick 'Em Co-Champion
#THREEEEEEEEE

RogK

Congrats to Annie Shain, promoted from graduate assistant coach in '17-'18 to assistant head coach for North Park. I hear Stan Van Gundy was really the top choice, but he wanted a pre-paid Ventra card in lieu of salary and NP wouldn't go for that.
Also congrats to Mary Karsten Surridge, set to become North Park's President in mid-August; she served as assistant women's basketball coach for several seasons early in the 21st century. Presumably, this means there'll be a quadrupling of the Athletic budget. Greg?

Gregory Sager

NPU will no doubt quadruple its athletic budget moments after Mary Surridge hangs up the phone after having called you, Rog. ;)

Technically, she is not "set to become North Park's president in mid-August" yet; she still has to be approved by the vote of the Annual Meeting of the Evangelical Covenant Church, North Park's parent denomination, which will be held in late June in Minneapolis. I don't think that there's any question that that'll happen, though, since I haven't heard anything but positive responses to Mary's nomination from my numerous Covenant contacts across the country. Indeed, the fact that she's already Covenant (NPU's recently-retired president, David Parkyn, came in from another denomination and had to join a Covenant church before formally assuming the position of president, and church/school relations deteriorated on his watch) is one reason why she'll be readily embraced up in Minneapolis next month. Personally, I think that she's as sound a choice for NPU president as the Board of Trustees could've hoped to find at this juncture in the institutional life of the school. I am optimistic about the school's future with her at the top of the organizational chart, completely aside from the fact that she'll undoubtedly be a pro-athletics president.

I didn't mention Annie Shain's promotion because NPU hadn't sent out a press release making it official (and it still has yet to do so), even though she's listed as the assistant head coach on the online roster and has been functioning in that role since Lauren Rosengarden took over the Concordia (IL) program in March. But, yeah, I most certainly congratulate her on the promotion, whether or not it's yet been made official.

RogK

I learned of it here :
http://athletics.northpark.edu/news/2018/5/3/shain-steps-up-as-womens-basketball-assistant-head-coach.aspx
although I was ten days late!
A pair of corporate jets and several qualified pilots would make recruiting trips easier. That wouldn't be asking too much, would it? Well, maybe.

Gregory Sager

Well, I guess that I missed that press release. The late run that the NPU baseball team made to get into the CCIW tournament must've scrolled the releases to the point that I missed the announcement about Annie.

lmitzel

So I just got a bombshell dropped on me: Michelle Roof is leaving North Central, I believe effective end of next week.
Official D-III Championship BeltTM Cartographer
2022 CCIW Football Pick 'Em Co-Champion
#THREEEEEEEEE