MBB: College Conference of Illinois and Wisconsin

Started by Board Mod, February 28, 2005, 11:18:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GoPerry

Quote from: Mr. Ypsi on January 20, 2020, 06:35:01 PM
Quote from: 79jaybird on January 20, 2020, 05:01:56 PM
Final 4 already?   ::)   Well,  hopefully but I'd be hesitant to put them into that category.    Baines is doing a great job leading this team.  I knew once he was given an opportunity (whether at EC or elsewhere) he was going to be a success.   Young(er) been a success at a CCIW school, knows the conference and local Chicago 'burbs" well,   all the makings of being a quality coach.  Not to mention just a great person.

"FF caliber" is NOT necessarily predicting they will make the FF - there is always the bracket and the 'luck' factor.

But the new poll is now up, and the voters also think Elmhurst if FF caliber - they just jumped from #10 to #4!

NCC held steady at #16, Carthage lost their two points, and (surprisingly, IMO) Augie fell from 9 points to 2 - they went 2-0 and beat Wheaton.

This last poll strikes me as having much more dramatic movement than normal.  That's a really big jump for EC.  But the poll really crushed Emory(#3 to #8), Wittenberg(2-7) and Middlebury (5-12) for losses to ranked teams on the road. 

Titan Q

Quote from: iwu70 on January 20, 2020, 07:55:40 PM
Congrats to EC and Coach Baines on #4 -- probably highest ever for EC, right?   
No, Elmhurst has been #2.

Mr. Ypsi

Quote from: GoPerry on January 20, 2020, 07:56:16 PM
Final 4 already?   ::)   Well,  hopefully but I'd be hesitant to put them into that category.    Baines is doing a great job leading this team.  I knew once he was given an opportunity (whether at EC or elsewhere) he was going to be a success.   Young(er) been a success at a CCIW school, knows the conference and local Chicago 'burbs" well,   all the makings of being a quality coach.  Not to mention just a great person.

"FF caliber" is NOT necessarily predicting they will make the FF - there is always the bracket and the 'luck' factor.

But the new poll is now up, and the voters also think Elmhurst if FF caliber - they just jumped from #10 to #4!

NCC held steady at #16, Carthage lost their two points, and (surprisingly, IMO) Augie fell from 9 points to 2 - they went 2-0 and beat Wheaton.

This last poll strikes me as having much more dramatic movement than normal.  That's a really big jump for EC.  But the poll really crushed Emory(#3 to #8), Wittenberg(2-7) and Middlebury (5-12) for losses to ranked teams on the road.

There were some unusually big changes for mid-January.  Colby (the only remaining unbeaten other than Swarthmore, and who beat former #5 Middlebury) jumped even further than Elmhurst, from #12 to #5.  I think Colby's win over Midd FINALLY broke the back of 'let's wait and see' for a team with little experience as a national power.

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Quote from: GoPerry on January 20, 2020, 07:56:16 PM

Emory lost to unranked Brandeis (wasn't even getting points).
Wittenberg lost to #20 Wooster but by a truckload (though, Wooster shot the lights out of their own building).
Middlebury lost ranked Colby, but in their own gym.

Emory's loss is the second this month and that is going to be a flag for voters.
There has been questions about Wittenberg for awhile now especially with a weak out of conference schedule, voters probably worry they had floated too high and Wooster revealed too much.
Middlebury has had some linger questions and this is now loss number two in as many weekends.

I think there are plenty of reasons those teams dropped ... to go along with Mr. Ypsi's thinking that maybe the voters finally went - okay, I've now seen what I've been waiting to see. There were a NUMBER of bellweather games this past week and voters making decisions based on them is not that surprising.
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

79jaybird

2016 Elmhurst was ranked #2.    Right now I'm happy with where the Jays sit.  My only thought was that there is still a lot of season left,  and perhaps too early to think playoffs.
VOICE OF THE BLUEJAYS '01-'10
CCIW FOOTBALL CHAMPIONS 1978 1980 2012
CCIW BASKETBALL CHAMPIONS 2001
2022 BASKETBALL NATIONAL RUNNER UP
2018 CCIW PICK EM'S CHAMPION

voxelmhurst

Quote from: Dave 'd-mac' McHugh on January 19, 2020, 02:38:54 PM
Sunday night on Hoopsville, we continue to dive into conferences races across the country and look at how the last week's results have either helped clear up races or made them more messy. Plus we talk to several conference leaders to find out how they are faring.
Guests Schedule (order subject to change):
- John Baines, No. 10 Elmhurst men's coach (NABC Coach's Corner)

Thank you for this interview. For me, the most insightful takeaway was Baines mentioning that they played on a 24 second shot clock during their offseason trip to Europe, and sort of took that mentality with them into the season. This really explains why Elmhurst has been so aggressive offensively this season, much more so than successful Elmhurst teams in the recent past, which had to rely on either one dominant player down low (Ruch, Michael) and/or an adept outside shooter that can create their own shots. (eg. Burks and others) They have 5/6 guys whom are able to attack the hoop as well as find their own shots and knock them down. Their recent win at Wheaton was very emblematic of this.

Quote from: 79jaybird on January 20, 2020, 11:37:26 AM
Elmhurst's win at Wheaton was the first at King Arena since the 2008-09 season.   

This is actually a minor mistake posted in the official EC recap. Their last win at Wheaton was in 2016. 2009 was the last win prior to that game.

Quote from: USee on January 20, 2020, 05:24:42 PM
Final 4 already?   ::)   Well,  hopefully but I'd be hesitant to put them into that category.   

Because you would know more than the CCIW coach who has most recently been there? Sounds rational.

Elmhurst alums are modest and unassuming, perhaps to a fault. Look no further than the statue of Niebuhr with the Serenity Prayer etched into it in the middle of campus if you want to place blame for this. (Sarcasm font)

I too share this poster's "Don't wake me up yet" approach to EC's success so far this year.  ;D   :P

Titan Q

Illinois Wesleyan (11-5, 5-2) at #4-Elmhurst (15-1, 6-1), Wednesday 1/22, 7:00 pm...

Illinois Wesleyan (11-5, 5-2)
G - Luke Yoder, 6-0/170 Fr.  9.0 ppg, 2.6 rpg, 2.0 apg
G - Keondre Schumacher, 5-11/175 So.  13.4 ppg, 2.0 rpg, 2.0 apg
G - Pete Lambesis, 6-4/195 So.  12.6 ppg, 3.0 rpg, 1.8 apg
F - Doug Wallen, 6-5/210 Jr.  11.5 ppg, 5.9 rpg
F - Charlie Bair, 6-7/220 Jr.  9.5 ppg, 9.9 rpg
---------
G - Cory Noe, 6-2/175 So.  7.3, 1.7 rpg, 1.4 apg

#4-Elmhurst (15-1, 6-1)
G - Jake Rhode, 5-11/160 Jr.  20.9 ppg, 2.9 rpg, 4.3 apg
G - Nick Perry, 5-11/180 Jr.  4.2 ppg, 2.2 rpg, 2.5 apg
F - Derek Dotlich, 6-3/215 Sr.  16.6 ppg, 3.9 rpg, 1.1 apg
F - Jay Militello, 6-4/215 Jr.  8.8 ppg, 6.3 rpg, 2.0 apg
F - Lavon Thomas, 6-5/260 Jr.  14.0 ppg, 9.0 rpg
-----
G - Dominic Genco, 6-3/180 Jr.  6.8 ppg, 2.8 rpg, 1.8 apg

Links
IWU Notes - https://s3.amazonaws.com/sidearm.sites/iwusports.com/documents/2020/1/20/Game17_Elmhurst.pdf

Video - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCapFKjLb-2MPjwQNs2ZZ8yQ/live

Live stats - https://elmhurstbluejays.com/sidearmstats/mbball/summary

BobbyO

Will we know something by tonight about who the top teams are?  Hoping for a four way time for the end of the first half of conference play.  Most likely will not get it but hoping!

Titan Q

Quote from: BobbyO on January 22, 2020, 10:06:53 AM
Will we know something by tonight about who the top teams are?  Hoping for a four way time for the end of the first half of conference play.  Most likely will not get it but hoping!

I think tonight tells us if there is a favorite(s) at the turn...or a complete clusterf#$%.

Greek Tragedy

If NCC and Elmhurst take care of business at home, they'll have a two game lead over their opponents, Augie and IWU. That's not insurmountable considering they both have to travel and take on each other as well. It's not a make or break if Augie and IWU lose tonight in regards to the conference title. However, they'll really be skating on thin ice when it comes to Pool C consideration with both getting their 6th loss with 8 conference games to go.
Pointers
Breed of a Champion
2004, 2005, 2010 and 2015 National Champions

Fantasy Leagues Commissioner

TGHIJGSTO!!!

AndOne

NCC Keys tonight

* No easy/unchallenged entry passes to Micah Martin.

* My opinion is that you shouldn't lose to Augie due to the play of their guards. Get right up on Jelen with constant chest to chest and in the face pressure. He is a good assist man so make him pass out of pressure just to get rid of the ball instead of allowing him to make an easy/good assisting pass to an open man. Don't ask for a dagger and leave Elledge. Defend him with a high hand. Make him earn his baskets. No uncontested looks-make him put the ball on the floor.

* Establish position and REBOUND.

* Good % from beyond the arc so AC can't sag back inside.

* NCC bench needs to outplay Augie's.

* I tried to limit this to 5. 5A would be make your darn FTs.

All easier said than done.  ;)

Gregory Sager

Crishawn Cook is in street clothes tonight for Carthage.
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

Gregory Sager

"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

iwu70

IWU never in this one -- men and boys -- EC over IWU 89-72.  IWU down 20 at the half.

A stinker.

EC in the conference race driver's seat for sure. 

IWU'70

Titan Q

Quote from: iwu70 on January 22, 2020, 09:39:43 PM
EC in the conference race driver's seat for sure. 

Driver's seat? They don't even have a lead.