FB: Old Dominion Athletic Conference

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 05:13:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HSCTiger74

Quote from: hasanova on October 02, 2009, 11:54:18 PM
The Quakers dominated the Southern Virginia Knights tonight in Greensboro, 48-6.  I think this was equal parts better play by Guilford (1-4) and, frankly, SVU not being very good (0-6).   Guilford got six turnovers, including a school-record tying three interceptions by Nelson, 181 yards rushing by freshman Williams and 118 yards receiving by Hasty.

In the spirit of full disclosure, however, what's up with our punt and kickoff returns?  For about the zillionth time this season, we either muffed the catch or fumbled on the return.  The best result we had all night was when we just didn't try to field a punt and let it roll to the five.  No need to ever try an on-side kick or fourth down Hail Mary versus the Quakers - just punt it - you'll get it back with great field position.  No, I'm not kidding!

Also, after thirty plus years of listening to the same announcer, I can't take it any more.  He's simply not good.  I know he's free and no one wants to hurt his feelings, but it's time to change.  It's sort of like when you tell your octogenarian Mom it's no longer safe for her to drive and take her car keys.  You love her, but you need to protect her and the other drivers.  Would it be too much to ask to prepare before the game?  And get a bottle of ginkgo biloba.  Finally, sometimes "less is more".  After three decades, you'd think you'd learn when to be quiet and let the game speak for itself instead of saying so much that's unnecessary.

As a Guilford supporter, I'd like to apologize to the fans from Southern Virginia University - I was truly embarrassed every time (and there were many!) your school was announced as "Virginia Southern" or "South Virginia".  We've played the Knights four years in a row, so it's not as though we've never seen their name before.  Also, I lost count of the times "Correction" was blared for the yard line, the penalty, the player, the score, the time, ad nauseum.  Once, incredibly, there were at least six "corrections" on the same play!  Thankfully, only about half the players have an "s" in their name, as there's a distinct whistling sound when spoken.  God help us if "Number seventy-six strong safety Sammy Sessoms stops Steven Sisosamones on second and seven at the sisteen!"  Truly awful.  I cringe and only hope the speakers weren't working on the visitors side!

Hey, I know he's free and calls the games because he loves Guilford sports.  I also know we want to be loyal ... and we have been ... but it's time.  Heck, if GC wants to save money, I'll pay them to let me do it just so I don't have to listen!  And for the second time ... no, I'm not kidding!

Hasa, I know you weren't kidding (and I hope you don't think I'm being snarky) but that was one of the best rants in recent memory. Dennis Miller in his prime could not have done better. I truly wish that I was eligible to bestow K. 
TANSTAAFL

hasanova

HSCTiger74, the twin D's, Dennis Miller and Denis Leary, would have a field day if they knew what I've heard over our PA.  Does it make sense to say that my frustration finally exceeded my indulgence?  There's an elephant in the room and I simply announced it.  

On a lighter note, here are my three favorite Dennis Miller lines:

1) On former NC Senator Jesse Helms:  "He's so homophobic, he thinks the AIDS quilt causes global warming!"
2) On Monday Night Football when a fellow announcer said the QB had a "minor groin injury":  "Excuse me, but I've always held the belief that there's no such thing as a 'minor' groin injury!"
3) A random line about 15 years ago in the middle of a one-man show:  "Ok, it's official - George Hamilton and Michael Jackson have just traded places on the human pigmentation chart!"  

HSC85

Hasa,

I simpathize with your frustration with the announcer at the Guilford games.  Last week when HSC was there the program still had the Averett players names in them. So more than half the time when a player did somthing, the Averett name was announced instead of the HSC name. 

Congratulations to Guilford on the first win of the season.  On another note, they seemed to handle the punts in the rain in the game I saw.  Maybe they just need a downpour to focus their concentration.  If I recall correctly they were fair catching all of the punts due to the weather and they did not have one muff.

Keep the faith.  I agree with HSCTIGER74 +1 if I was eligible.

hasanova

Quote from: HSC85 on October 03, 2009, 05:56:33 AM
Hasa,

I simpathize with your frustration with the announcer at the Guilford games.  Last week when HSC was there the program still had the Averett players names in them. So more than half the time when a player did somthing, the Averett name was announced instead of the HSC name.  

Congratulations to Guilford on the first win of the season.  On another note, they seemed to handle the punts in the rain in the game I saw.  Maybe they just need a downpour to focus their concentration.  If I recall correctly they were fair catching all of the punts due to the weather and they did not have one muff.

Keep the faith.  I agree with HSCTIGER74 +1 if I was eligible.
HSC85,

Ouch! Sorry about the snafus in the Hampden-Sydney game.  I left that night after only about 10 minutes (10 million gallons of water, more or less), so I wasn't aware that had happened.  I'm not sure why I'm apologizing other than to say I simply want my alma mater to be the best and sometimes they simply aren't.  Someone else will probably have to take responsibility for the hybrid program, but the announcer should have recognized it pretty guickly and made adjustments.  In my academic and professional career, I've always been taught ATD (attention to detail), so it really bothers me when folks make such elementary mistakes.  It reflects on the whole school and, consequently, me, so I take it personally.

Obviously, the Quakers needed last night's win badly, so thanks.  I think we still have a chance to win four or five, but I'm not naive.  The ODAC teams we'll face are not SVU.  I'm glad to hear the Quakers handled their punts versus HSC.  In the other games I've seen (SVU and Averett), GC had a lot of trouble.

Good luck to all the other teams today!

Jeremybozz

Tigers 6,Eagles 0 at the end of the 1st quarter.

HSCTiger74

Tigers up 13-0 with 2:05 left in the half.
TANSTAAFL

Jeremybozz

Llamaguy

The Eagles are one player position away from winning ODAC Championships again. Which one I won't mention, you guys figure it out.  :o

Looking forward to seeing everyone at Homecoming!
"The Dali Llama"

Bridgewater Football 1980,2001,2002,2003,2004,2005 ODAC Champions!

HSC85

Congratulations to the HSC Tigers on a big win against Bridgewater.  The game was much more competitive than the score indicated.  HSC intercepted three passes in the endzone and partially blocked a field goal attempt to perserve the shutout.  Bridgewater played well at times and moved the ball.  However they could not make the plays needed to get into the endzone.  Up next for the Tigers is a trip to Emory and Henry in a battle of unbeaten teams.  Go Tigers and stay focused.

bcphotos

I sent instructions on how to disable the siren and air horns on the fire truck that hsc points at the visiting teams bench, hope it worked,  ;D

Jeremybozz

Bridgewater's defense competed and played well enough but BC threw 3 INT's in the red zone and that cost us a chance to win.
Now the game against Ferrum that we should have won if we had  made a PAT or not committed a 15 yard penalty after Ferrum had missed a FG prior to halftime (giving them 3 points) looks so much bigger because due to that OT loss BC has no chance at an at large bid.

Jeremybozz

Quote from: Llamaguy on October 03, 2009, 03:28:17 PM
The Eagles are one player position away from winning ODAC Championships again. Which one I won't mention, you guys figure it out.  :o

Last year I attended the game with Hampden Sydney at Jopson Field.
We were down 30-6 going into the 4th and Vince Reese sparked us at QB with 4 TD's in a 37-34 loss.
He went 2 of 3 yesterday passing for 21 yards and had 2 carries for 5 yards but we waited too long to insert him into the game to see if he could bring us back again.
Hagan is still doing a better job than last year because he is no longer the most sacked QB in the nation but if it were me I would have Vince and Hagan compete in practice for the starting QB job vs Guilford. Stay tuned.

BCeagle79

Quote from: Jeremybozz on October 04, 2009, 08:37:43 AM
Quote from: Llamaguy on October 03, 2009, 03:28:17 PM

Last year I attended the game with Hampden Sydney at Jopson Field.
We were down 30-6 going into the 4th and Vince Reese sparked us at QB with 4 TD's in a 37-34 loss.
He went 2 of 3 yesterday passing for 21 yards and had 2 carries for 5 yards but we waited too long to insert him into the game to see if he could bring us back again.
Hagan is still doing a better job than last year because he is no longer the most sacked QB in the nation but if it were me I would have Vince and Hagan compete in practice for the starting QB job vs Guilford. Stay tuned.

The DNR article had a quote from a HSC player that said "We were calling plays before they ran them," the junior said with a grin."  I think our offensive play calling has gotten too vanilla. If the other team could study films and pick out what we were going to run before we ran it there is a problem upstairs too. Maybe we are one coach away from an ODAC Championship.

HSC85

I rememer when Vince Reese came into the HSC vs Bridgewater game last year and he did an excellent job in engineering a great comeback that fell just short.   Bridgewater is a good team that will have success this year. 

hscfan88

Once again Bridgewater shows their class. The Bridgewater players would not even shake hands the Hampden-Sydney players after the game.