Final 4 on the move

Started by Midwest Soccer, December 11, 2013, 07:19:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Midwest Soccer

My first thought when I saw KC as a location was that the final 4 would be played at Sporting Park which would have been incredible.

However it will be played at Swope Park. This sight was used for the Big 12 womens tournament this year. I'm yet to see good pictures online of the park. Of the ones I have seen it doesn't look like there is much seating in the form of bleachers. The sod looks great though and Sporting officials speak highly of it.

I was beginning to think San Antonio was the new permanent home. Toyota Park is such a great venue to host as well.

The final 4 going back to Greensboro is fine by me. Great venue there as well. What do people who have been there for the final 4 think of that location? Did they put on a good show?

Ideally it'd be nice if there was great weather every year at the final 4 which is why San Antonio always was nice to look forward to. No one saw the weather that came to San Antonio this year coming. At least we can prepare for a freezing cold Kansas City (same weekend MLS cup was played, which set a new record for coldest MLS cup ever) instead of being mislead by San Antonio. Greensboro weather is usually around the mid 40's-mid 50's around then I believe.

What are other peoples thoughts on the change of venue? Kansas City is sort of a head scratcher.

Side note: Division 1 released their next 4 college cup destinations today and with the exception of BBBA in Houston one year, they are all cold weather locations (minus Cary, NC which is hit or miss)

gustiefan04

I don't find KC to be that surprising a pick for the Final 4 location. It's quickly emerging as one of the top soccer cities in the US. Also, the NSCAA head office is in KC.

I've been down there several times with the youth teams I coach to attend College Showcases and the facilities we've played at have been top notch. There is also no shortage of hotels and restaurants to accomidate travelers.

The weather can be hit or miss this time of year though. I've been there in mid to late November several times. Mostly its been colder- 40's, but I've also experience weather into the 60's.

Madhatter5

I don't know about a move to KC. Great city in the summer, don't know how it will be in the beginning of December though.

Greensboro is a pretty nice facility, decent grass, bleachers on one side. The "locker rooms" were just tents though.

Toyota Park looked better but I don't know about the locker rooms there though. The stands were obviously too much for a D3 soccer game but that's not a big deal.

Ron Boerger

I can't imagine that the Hartmann family would put that kind of money into Toyota Field, including allowing for future expansion to nearly 20,000 seats for a possible MLS bid, only to scrimp on the locker rooms.    I'm sure they were more than adequate for the event.   

KICKIN95

I wasn't in the locker rooms, but I was in the luxury suite for the match it was top notch!  The Hartmann family is pure class, they take every dollar of profit and put it towards "Morgan's Wonderland" (named after their daughter) an ultra accessible special needs theme park across the street as well as the Monarch Academy for special needs individuals.
Master of all things "DuHawk"

Puerco Espin

The visitor's locker room was cramped. Not much for show, didn't see the home team's locker room. They only have enough locker rooms for two teams, so after the game, teams were sent out to a tent on the lower concourse.
NCAA Final Four: 2007, 2008, 2012, 2013, 2015
NCAA Sweet 16: 2005, 2009, 2010, 2014
NCAA Tournament: 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015
IIAC Champions: 2003, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015

Ron Boerger

So this is where it's gonna be next year?

http://www.sportingkc.com/swope-park-training-center

Pretty underwhelming IMO, close to nobody, and just begging for miserable weather come next November.   

lastguyoffthebench

There would be more in attendance if Messiah hosted (even if they weren't playing) than at PPL Park for the College Cup...