FB: Empire 8

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 04:58:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bombers798891

Quote from: D3viewer on September 09, 2017, 04:14:30 PM
Ithaca's TE coach Chase Venuto (who played HS ball at Ithaca hS)  played QB in Brockport's system. IC has had inside info on both Alfred's and Brockport's offense for 2 consecutive weeks.

I don't really understand what this means. What "inside info" were Venuto and Johnson supposed to provide that wouldn't be gleaned from regular prep work, scouting and film study? I mean, are Alfred and Brockport not changing their play calls?

D3viewer

Quote from: Bombers798891 on September 12, 2017, 04:04:22 PM
Ithaca's TE coach Chase Venuto (who played HS ball at Ithaca hS)  played QB in Brockport's system. IC has had inside info on both Alfred's and Brockport's offense for 2 consecutive weeks.

I don't really understand what this means. What "inside info" were Venuto and Johnson supposed to provide that wouldn't be gleaned from regular prep work, scouting and film study? I mean, are Alfred and Brockport not changing their play calls?

Firstly, the comment was a bit tongue in cheek, to the effect what are the odds a new coaching staff would have recent QBs of the their first 2 opponents to provide first hand accounts (scouting and preparation would be second hand accounts) of running said offenses. So that staffing stuck me as unique and interesting and unusual.

Secondly, it would be useful if I was IC's new def coordinator to sit down with each coach (venuto and Johnson) to at the very least verify what I was seeing on film. What the playbook says what the routes and combinations should be. Sometimes on film you are not quite sure exactly what a rec is doing and why. Also. what are receiver adjustments/hots if there are any. What are the QBs progressions for each particular route. Since we only have one or maybe less game film, what does the OC like to call in certain situations. What are their c3, c2 man to man beaters ? How does Brockport's wrist band system work ?
What is the QB doing up vis a vis the defensive front. In their base runs do they audible to a certain side of the defense to gain an advantage or do they just run the play to the side the coach sends in. How does their option plays work ? Particularly informative to me would be helping to ascertain their protection packages. Sometimes just watching on films doesn't give you the details. How do they slide the protection ? What are the blitz pickup responsibilities ? The teams may change up terminology, but they can't change up the basic principles of their offense in one week.
Obviously this no cure all tonic. But it does provide a depth of information you would not get just from regular preparation.

Bartman

Quote from: AUPepBand on September 11, 2017, 08:36:36 AM
What's with the Rochester D&C? No local college football coverage. No Saturday preview except Syracuse(?). No Sunday game stories. None. Nada. Zilch. Not a thing. No one. No UR. No Fisher. No Brockport. No Hobart. Will they even write about Courage Bowl?
Not like the old days...probably view the HS games as more important as far as expending resources and interest in Rochester. The Finger Lakes Times still covers local college, especially, Hobart and William Smith, except the last article on the Fisher game kept calling Shane Sweeney...Sean...so much for the art of proof reading.....
"I never graduated from Iowa, but I was only there for two terms - Truman's and Eisenhower's."
Alex Karras
"When it's third and ten, you can take the milk drinkers and I'll take the whiskey drinkers every time."
Max McGee
"I love football. I really love football, As far as I'm concerned, it's the second best thing in the world".
Joe Namath

D3viewer

All E8 teams play this weekend. It's byeless.

Buffalo State (1-0) @ Morrisville (1-0) 12PM
           Only battle of unbeatens. Both coming off week 2 byes after week one victories. Buff st showed very good defense and poor offense in week one. They'll need more balance going forward. Morr kinda average on both sides of ball.  Should be a close game, Ill say Mooville at home, as they look to rebound from awful year last year.

Utica (1-1) @ Alfred (1-0) 1PM
              2 teams breaking in new QBs . Both will rely on their defenses in the early going. Utica coming off dissapointing 7 hr road loss to Catholic U. Blaise finds a rabbit in a magic hat and stuns the Mayberry crowd with a victory.

Hartwick (1-1) @ Cortland (1-1) 1PM
              Battle of 2 top returning QBs, Billy Pine and Steven Ferreria. One dimensional pass offenses. Bad defenses. Because why not, Team Boltus outscores C St.

Courage Bowl 13. Brockport (2-0) @ SJF (0-2) 6PM
              Fisher has never lost a Courage Bowl. The last time they started the season 0-3 was 2001, which was also the last time they suffered a losing season. Brockport is touting the return of the true Mike Fox defense , since they have shown much improvement from last season. They have yet to give up a passing TD in 2 games. Brockport's offense is ranked 18th in the country and are extremely balanced averaging over 200 yards rushing and 300 yards passing per game so far this season. Fisher's defense meanwhile has been pretty abysmal. Not a good combination. On paper this is another blowout but the one thing Fisher has going for them is that they play Brockport tough all the time and have had their number recently and are at home and their backs are to the wall. If they can keep pace Brockport has choked away games before. SJF has been Brockport's kryptonite recently and will that come into play Sat ? There is a lot of pride over there and history of winning. If Brockport is ever going to win this thing, this is the year, So you can say the pressure is on them, reading all their press clippings. It all starts with Brockport's QB Joe Germinero, who seemingly can do it all, make all the throws, and run extremely well. I say Brockport will win, but the Fisher curse could reappear Sat night.

AUFoosball

Quote from: D3viewer on September 12, 2017, 06:23:23 PM

it would be useful if I was IC's new def coordinator to sit down with each coach

As a former Saxon I've lurked on these boards for a while now, but this comment prompted a response.

During my playing days I was in Coach Rankl's office watching some practice film and a Graduate Assistant (whose former team we were playing that week) came in and asked Coach Rankl if he could provide Coach Rankl with any insider knowledge to the opposing team's defense. Coach Rankl thanked him for his offer, but flatly refused. Whether it was confidence in AU's offense or sportsmanship, I'm not sure. It was a moment that made my proud to call him my coach if only for saving that GA the feeling of guilt for having turned on former teammates and coaches. As a former Saxon I'm proud to say that I played under such a coach.

Not much else to add, just a personal anecdote. Hoping to see AU do their best against Utica!

AUPepBand

Quote from: AUFoosball on September 15, 2017, 02:13:45 PM
Quote from: D3viewer on September 12, 2017, 06:23:23 PM

it would be useful if I was IC's new def coordinator to sit down with each coach

As a former Saxon I've lurked on these boards for a while now, but this comment prompted a response.

During my playing days I was in Coach Rankl's office watching some practice film and a Graduate Assistant (whose former team we were playing that week) came in and asked Coach Rankl if he could provide Coach Rankl with any insider knowledge to the opposing team's defense. Coach Rankl thanked him for his offer, but flatly refused. Whether it was confidence in AU's offense or sportsmanship, I'm not sure. It was a moment that made my proud to call him my coach if only for saving that GA the feeling of guilt for having turned on former teammates and coaches. As a former Saxon I'm proud to say that I played under such a coach.

Not much else to add, just a personal anecdote. Hoping to see AU do their best against Utica!

Pep is not at all surprised by this and is pleased that you shared it. Pep is pretty sure it was Coach Rankl's integrity that prevailed in the situation. Pep has the utmost of respect for the Saxon mentor.

On Saxon Warriors!!
On Saxon Warriors! On to Victory!
...Fight, fight for Alfred, A-L-F, R-E-D!

AUPepBand

The maple leaves, kissed with gold, are falling in Pep's yard in Tinkertown. The day lilies are long gone...their orange chroma now appearing on the encroaching hills. Tailgaters arrive in Mayberry, parking their vans and RVs in McLane Parking Lot. From their EZ-Ups, the grills emit the aroma of bacon, sausage and other such sacrifices. It's Fall Family Weekend at Alfred University and the Saxons' home opening football game. Pep will be at "The Pit" beating the drum, urging his Saxon Warriors to continue on in the fight. It's football season!!

Get the fight song ready...
On Saxon Warriors! On to Victory!
...Fight, fight for Alfred, A-L-F, R-E-D!

Bartman

Quote from: AUPepBand on September 16, 2017, 08:02:03 AM
The maple leaves, kissed with gold, are falling in Pep's yard in Tinkertown. The day lilies are long gone...their orange chroma now appearing on the encroaching hills. Tailgaters arrive in Mayberry, parking their vans and RVs in McLane Parking Lot. From their EZ-Ups, the grills emit the aroma of bacon, sausage and other such sacrifices. It's Fall Family Weekend at Alfred University and the Saxons' home opening football game. Pep will be at "The Pit" beating the drum, urging his Saxon Warriors to continue on in the fight. It's football season!!

Get the fight song ready...
Pep...sounds glorious...I can almost smell the bacon.......good luck to the Saxons
"I never graduated from Iowa, but I was only there for two terms - Truman's and Eisenhower's."
Alex Karras
"When it's third and ten, you can take the milk drinkers and I'll take the whiskey drinkers every time."
Max McGee
"I love football. I really love football, As far as I'm concerned, it's the second best thing in the world".
Joe Namath

dewcrew88

What's with the Rochester D&C? No local college football coverage. No Saturday preview except Syracuse(?). No Sunday game stories. None. Nada. Zilch. Not a thing. No one. No UR. No Fisher. No Brockport. No Hobart. Will they even write about Courage Bowl?

DandC is Gannett, I believe, and they are just lucky to be putting out a paper with all those layoffs going on.

middlerelief1

Quote from: dewcrew88 on September 16, 2017, 12:12:34 PM

DandC is Gannett, I believe, and they are just lucky to be putting out a paper with all those layoffs going on.

has there been anything this season worth reporting?

Bengalsrule

BENGALS pull it out with under a min left!   Not sure how many more closes 1's BOYES Boys can pull out but for the 2nd game in a row, Buff State wins a nail biter! 

Upstate

I don't know if I see 3 wins for Fisher with this defense...

Yikes...
The views expressed in the above post do not represent the views of St. John Fisher College, their athletic department, their coaching staff or their players. I am an over zealous antagonist that does not have any current connection to the institution I attended.

middlerelief1

Quote from: Upstate on September 16, 2017, 08:30:14 PM
I don't know if I see 3 wins for Fisher with this defense...

Yikes...

Or offense....  or Coaching Staff

From the President to the AD --- St. John Fisher phoned it in for 2017....   Football has now lost 5 straight from last season.   #Sad!

Upstate

Fisher getting completely outclassed...

This is the softest team I've ever seen, they're completely outmatched on the offensive and defensive lines...

Their recruiting has taken a big step back along the offensive and defensive lines...

I was told a big part of why Fox left was that the entire staff was not putting in the same effort when it came to recruiting and long time members of the staff were not putting in the work they should have...

For those reasons alone it seems that Fisher let the wrong coach out the door...
The views expressed in the above post do not represent the views of St. John Fisher College, their athletic department, their coaching staff or their players. I am an over zealous antagonist that does not have any current connection to the institution I attended.

middlerelief1

Quote from: Upstate on September 16, 2017, 08:49:17 PM
Fisher getting completely outclassed...

I was told a big part of why Fox left was that the entire staff was not putting in the same effort when it came to recruiting and long time members of the staff were not putting in the work they should have...

For those reasons alone it seems that Fisher let the wrong coach out the door...

This is the most honest and accurate post ever from the Fisher faithful....  doesn't go far enough in the indictment though