FB: Empire 8

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 04:58:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fisheralum91

Bombers- I totally understand that and I am not a typical sky is falling fisher fan.  This team has taken a step back no two ways about it.
What has changed? I dont know.
Maybe the fact is that nothing has changed?
All I do know is I have little to look forward to on Sat. afternoons and its been a very long time since I have said that

res ipsa loquitur

As a Hobart guy, I was pretty shell-shocked after Brockport looked unstoppable the first week.  Seeing them roll the past few weeks makes me feel better.  Just a really damn good football team, averaging a ho-hum 536 yards of offense per game.  That Alfred game could be a lot of fun to watch. 
There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.

Bombers798891

Quote from: fisheralum91 on September 18, 2017, 09:23:50 AM
Bombers- I totally understand that and I am not a typical sky is falling fisher fan.  This team has taken a step back no two ways about it.
What has changed? I dont know.
Maybe the fact is that nothing has changed?
All I do know is I have little to look forward to on Sat. afternoons and its been a very long time since I have said that

I don't know either, and I didn't mean to imply that you think the sky is falling. The Cardinals are not in a good place and maybe there are systemic issues. But this also just may be one of those years, you know? I'd like to see them play a little more....representative schedule, I guess is the word, before rendering a final verdict.

fisheralum91

Totally agree.
I think that the D has stepped backward since Fox left.
Most of the skill positions have been good if not great in the past, and minus the QB this year Fisher has a nice crew.  I do believe however that the line play is suspect and that is completely apparent in the lack of a rushing attack.

Bartman

Quote from: res ipsa loquitur on September 18, 2017, 10:16:56 AM
As a Hobart guy, I was pretty shell-shocked after Brockport looked unstoppable the first week.  Seeing them roll the past few weeks makes me feel better.  Just a really damn good football team, averaging a ho-hum 536 yards of offense per game.  That Alfred game could be a lot of fun to watch.
As another Hobart fan I would feel great with a scenario where Brockport rolls through the East/E8 like a beast , gets a very rare #1 seed in our own backyard and Hobart earns  the LL automatic by beating a tough RPI and  Ithaca as well as a pissed off SLU and an emerging Union ......and we get a chance for a rematch with the Golden Eagles after we have gotten more experience on defense and the Oline develops more....Hobart might have had a bad game to open the season BUT Brockport was certainly better and the best in the East, so far, for my money. The Alfred-Brockport game is not until 11/4, so plenty of time for both teams to get better but also potential for key injuries between now and then(eg,not sure how good BPort offense would be without Germinerio as he exposes himself on those runs)...and don't forget the rest of the E8 as teams like Buff State can always mess up plans for anyone.

As far as Fisher, I know they fizzled out on two early possessions in the red zone in the Hobart game, and if those were scores and Fisher was up 14-0, things could have been very different..... but I agree the line play this year is sub Fisher and that was really exposed against BPort. Fisher can still play for a 3 way 1 loss tie for the E8 if they win out the rest of the season , it is still early...keep you helmets on and your heads up....
"I never graduated from Iowa, but I was only there for two terms - Truman's and Eisenhower's."
Alex Karras
"When it's third and ten, you can take the milk drinkers and I'll take the whiskey drinkers every time."
Max McGee
"I love football. I really love football, As far as I'm concerned, it's the second best thing in the world".
Joe Namath

wesleydad

Quote from: fisheralum91 on September 18, 2017, 10:46:24 AM
Totally agree.
Most of the skill positions have been good if not great in the past, and minus the QB this year Fisher has a nice crew.  I do believe however that the line play is suspect and that is completely apparent in the lack of a rushing attack.

Fisheralum, I love reading the E8 board because of all the knowledgeable folks who post on it.  This is the most down I have ever read the Fisher folk to be.  I will throw this thought out there, most of the Fisher fans are down because the first 3 games they played this year are the games they loved having on the schedule because it would give them an idea as to where Fisher stood nationally.  With the fact that they have been thumped in all 3 games show that they are not even in the hunt in the east, forget about the national picture.  In the past Fisher would have expected to be no worse than 2-1 at this point and probably angry that they are not 3-0.  Sitting at 0-3 and not being competitive can being very humbling and it is understandable the feeling of frustration as to the current status of the team.  I hope the team has not fallen that far that they will not return to the top of the east battles, that would be a shame because it is a good program and you guys are good people.  Hang in there.

fisheralum91

WD- thank you for the thoughts-
Here is hoping that Fisher rights the ship.
If not this season- next

Your insight on these boards is most welcome!

Cards02

Totally agree.

New systems, new players, new coaches on the defensive side of the ball. A lot of variables to overcome to be sure. Offensively, the line play is definitely subpar. Makes it very tough on O, not being able to use one of the best athletes (Chambers) on the field in the running game. Basically he is only being used or should I say, can be used as a receiver who happens to line up in the backfield. It also is one of the toughest situations to have a new QB in, one where he doesn't have a running game behind him. A tough spot for Michels.

fisheralum91

Tough spot for Michels for sure.

tough to watch too :P

Bengalsrule

Quote from: Bartman on September 18, 2017, 10:56:39 AM
Quote from: res ipsa loquitur on September 18, 2017, 10:16:56 AM
As another Hobart fan I would feel great with a scenario where Brockport rolls through the East/E8 like a beast , gets a very rare #1 seed in our own backyard and Hobart earns  the LL automatic by beating a tough RPI and  Ithaca as well as a pissed off SLU and an emerging Union ......and we get a chance for a rematch with the Golden Eagles after we have gotten more experience on defense and the Oline develops more....Hobart might have had a bad game to open the season BUT Brockport was certainly better and the best in the East, so far, for my money. The Alfred-Brockport game is not until 11/4, so plenty of time for both teams to get better but also potential for key injuries between now and then(eg,not sure how good BPort offense would be without Germinerio as he exposes himself on those runs)...and don't forget the rest of the E8 as teams like Buff State can always mess up plans for anyone.

As far as Fisher, I know they fizzled out on two early possessions in the red zone in the Hobart game, and if those were scores and Fisher was up 14-0, things could have been very different..... but I agree the line play this year is sub Fisher and that was really exposed against BPort. Fisher can still play for a 3 way 1 loss tie for the E8 if they win out the rest of the season , it is still early...keep you helmets on and your heads up....

Its good to see that some haven't surrendered the E8 crown to B-Port just yet. Especially with the season less than a 3rd of the way over. God knows that BOYES Boys are focused on RPI and nothing else. As they should be, however, I am glad that our schedule makers have made 10/28 game vs B-Port, our Homecoming game though. B-port has sent our basketball team to summer vacation more than any other SUNYAC team, so the dislike is real (sportswise)! Plus winning our 1st 2 games by a total of 6 pts is not a ringing endorsement of domination, however a win is a win. And I'll take 2-0 over anything else. I'm sure anyone else would also! A lot of football yet to be played between now and Nov 12th.

GO BENGALS

Bengalsrule

Quote from: wesleydad on September 18, 2017, 12:01:32 PM
Totally agree.

Fisheralum, I love reading the E8 board because of all the knowledgeable folks who post on it.  This is the most down I have ever read the Fisher folk to be.  I will throw this thought out there, most of the Fisher fans are down because the first 3 games they played this year are the games they loved having on the schedule because it would give them an idea as to where Fisher stood nationally.  With the fact that they have been thumped in all 3 games show that they are not even in the hunt in the east, forget about the national picture.  In the past Fisher would have expected to be no worse than 2-1 at this point and probably angry that they are not 3-0.  Sitting at 0-3 and not being competitive can being very humbling and it is understandable the feeling of frustration as to the current status of the team.  I hope the team has not fallen that far that they will not return to the top of the east battles, that would be a shame because it is a good program and you guys are good people.  Hang in there.

Plus k Wesleydad. Class act!!!!

dlippiel

Totally agree.

dlip totally gets it fisheralum and all he can say is just what wesleydad said, hang in there. dlip thinks SJF may have a couple surprises this season but he does agree that things haven't looked "SJF" like to start 2017. As dlip watched his Dutchmen fall from grace to a very ****ing low spot in the D3 world (not saying SJF is anywhere close to this because they are not) he initially was out of his ****ing mind angry about it. He became super negative even pulling his family from the stands at West Conn and driving home after the first quarter of a game. However dlip quickly fund that looking at things that way only hurt one person, dlip. He tried very hard (it's not easy) to flip the script and look for all the positives. He choose to just focus on his love for D3 football (which he never would have had without the Dutchmen to begin with) and find as many small positives as he could (like his tradition of watching the games with Mr. dlip, which he had been doing for 30 plus years).

Keep your head up pal and give it another try. dlip is so glad he didn't turn away from Union the way he was starting to. What would he have had then...? Just try and spread that focus farther out to the E8 and East region as a whole. Try to enjoy the litte things about the game we love and before you know it dlip bets SJF will be back into form...or make changes (if need be) to get them there. dlip loves the E8 board and all the SJF fans? Go Cardinals!

D3MAFAN

Quote from: dlip on September 19, 2017, 12:03:03 PM
Totally agree.

dlip totally gets it fisheralum and all he can say is just what wesleydad said, hang in there. dlip thinks SJF may have a couple surprises this season but he does agree that things haven't looked "SJF" like to start 2017. As dlip watched his Dutchmen fall from grace to a very ****ing low spot in the D3 world (not saying SJF is anywhere close to this because they are not) he initially was out of his ****ing mind angry about it. He became super negative even pulling his family from the stands at West Conn and driving home after the first quarter of a game. However dlip quickly fund that looking at things that way only hurt one person, dlip. He tried very hard (it's not easy) to flip the script and look for all the positives. He choose to just focus on his love for D3 football (which he never would have had without the Dutchmen to begin with) and find as many small positives as he could (like his tradition of watching the games with Mr. dlip, which he had been doing for 30 plus years).

Keep your head up pal and give it another try. dlip is so glad he didn't turn away from Union the way he was starting to. What would he have had then...? Just try and spread that focus farther out to the E8 and East region as a whole. Try to enjoy the litte things about the game we love and before you know it dlip bets SJF will be back into form...or make changes (if need be) to get them there. dlip loves the E8 board and all the SJF fans? Go Cardinals!

Dlip,

That was an awesome post, I have grown to love everything about DIII and when times are hard for the team(s) we root for. Just remember most of these guys are playing for the love of the game and as fans, we should appreciate we have something to talk about all day. +K

Bombers798891

As dlip watched his Dutchmen fall from grace to a very ****ing low spot in the D3 world (not saying SJF is anywhere close to this because they are not) he initially was out of his ****ing mind angry about it. He became super negative even pulling his family from the stands at West Conn and driving home after the first quarter of a game. However dlip quickly fund that looking at things that way only hurt one person, dlip. He tried very hard (it's not easy) to flip the script and look for all the positives. He choose to just focus on his love for D3 football (which he never would have had without the Dutchmen to begin with) and find as many small positives as he could (like his tradition of watching the games with Mr. dlip, which he had been doing for 30 plus years).

I flipped this switch after getting angry after Cortaca 2014. I think this last line sums it up for me. I want to enjoy Bomber football, and I don't want my enjoyment to be too reliant on them winning. Obviously, like all everyone, I'd rather my team win than lose, but I also want to take LittleBombers798891 to her first game—the day after her first birthday!—and show her the view, and teach her to do the "Booga" chant and share a couple of hot dogs with Mrs. Bombers798891 and not have the mood of the day hinge on the scoreboard.

Look, there's no right or wrong way to be a fan (unless you're somehow disrupting others. Those people are the worst). But I can tell you that I was, like Dlip says, still an angry fan in 2011 when the Bombers went 4-6. I'd leave games early, be in a bad mood about it. There's simply too few D-III football games out there for me to want to be that way today.

Bartman

Quote from: Bombers798891 on September 19, 2017, 01:50:44 PM
As dlip watched his Dutchmen fall from grace to a very ****ing low spot in the D3 world (not saying SJF is anywhere close to this because they are not) he initially was out of his ****ing mind angry about it. He became super negative even pulling his family from the stands at West Conn and driving home after the first quarter of a game. However dlip quickly fund that looking at things that way only hurt one person, dlip. He tried very hard (it's not easy) to flip the script and look for all the positives. He choose to just focus on his love for D3 football (which he never would have had without the Dutchmen to begin with) and find as many small positives as he could (like his tradition of watching the games with Mr. dlip, which he had been doing for 30 plus years).

I flipped this switch after getting angry after Cortaca 2014. I think this last line sums it up for me. I want to enjoy Bomber football, and I don't want my enjoyment to be too reliant on them winning. Obviously, like all everyone, I'd rather my team win than lose, but I also want to take LittleBombers798891 to her first game—the day after her first birthday!—and show her the view, and teach her to do the "Booga" chant and share a couple of hot dogs with Mrs. Bombers798891 and not have the mood of the day hinge on the scoreboard.

Look, there's no right or wrong way to be a fan (unless you're somehow disrupting others. Those people are the worst). But I can tell you that I was, like Dlip says, still an angry fan in 2011 when the Bombers went 4-6. I'd leave games early, be in a bad mood about it. There's simply too few D-III football games out there for me to want to be that way today.
D3 Football is the best because of the purity of the competition...sure ,some schools have an advantage because of support from the school admissions/budget support, etc....but at the end of the day I have to explain to my friends who went to Georgia, USC, Notre Dame that I like to watch D1 talent and am awed by it(heck my Giants are almost playing at a D1 level), but it is still very much a product, a business, a revenue generator....D3 Football is played, coached and watched for the love of the game ....the enthusiasm of the parents is awesome(at Hobart they ARE the cheerleaders), the students (at  least some) and the alums/fans....so I give +k to both Dlip and Bombers for supporting their programs thru thick and thin because when it turns around(which is happening for both Union and Ithaca) you can feel you earned some of the upside and kicking the ass(respectfully of course) of the competition is even sweeter.
"I never graduated from Iowa, but I was only there for two terms - Truman's and Eisenhower's."
Alex Karras
"When it's third and ten, you can take the milk drinkers and I'll take the whiskey drinkers every time."
Max McGee
"I love football. I really love football, As far as I'm concerned, it's the second best thing in the world".
Joe Namath