MBB: Old Dominion Athletic Conference

Started by steelyglen, February 15, 2005, 09:11:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

y_jack_lok

Quote from: CMR on January 04, 2017, 07:33:43 PM
VWC - totally disrespectful during National Anthem, Khory Moore swinging punches and rushes RMC bench, only personal fool, no technical, officials talk for three minutes.  VWC is a bunch of thugs and total embarrassment to ODAC.

Are you in Crenshaw?

y_jack_lok

Great win for the Jackets. Well played by both teams. Congrats. Impressed with the post game interview with Coach Merkel and the explanation of the last possession strategy.

hasanova

Final Guilford 73, Roanoke 57 in Greensboro

It was 3-0 Maroons after 11 seconds, but the Quakers never trailed again.  Three players in double figures for GC.  There was a 25-point second half lead, but the reserves finished it out.  To be blunt, the Quakers just looked a little taller, a little quicker and a little more athletic than RC. 

Guilford (10-2, 3-0) visits Shenandoah Saturday afternoon.

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Quote from: CMR on January 04, 2017, 07:33:43 PM
VWC - totally disrespectful during National Anthem, Khory Moore swinging punches and rushes RMC bench, only personal fool, no technical, officials talk for three minutes.  VWC is a bunch of thugs and total embarrassment to ODAC.

Well... that's not exactly how things played out. This post got me looking and lucky for all, the video is available (as of now): http://rmcathletics.com/video/MBBvideo

I'll start with the national anthem which I didn't see anything. The camera was pointed at RMC where some guys showed nervous energy, others had their arms over each other's shoulders. Basic stuff. You can only see the end of the line for VWC, so who knows what this could be about.

As for the incident: go to the 42:30 mark on the video. Moore is driving around a screen at the foul line. He is fouled by his defender (Ryan), but the second defender, Ngundji (who was defending the screener) reaches out and grabs Moore's arm pulling him back down as he is in the air. Moore clearly doesn't like that and gets up and I am sure words were exchanged. Ngungji then throws his hand into Moore's throat and face pushing Moore backwards. That's when things explode (kind of). Plenty of pushing and shoving. Again, I am sure plenty of words were exchanged. Moore is clearly trying to get back to say something at Ngundji, but I didn't see any attempt to be physical. Others are pushing and shoving from both teams. Unfortunately, the camera operator randomly pulls the camera away from the "action" at this point while the announcers say something about Moore doing something towards the bench (granted, RMC announcers so I can't take everything they say for granted - color guy earlier complained about a blocking foul saying the guys feet were set when clearly they were not, but they are good guys I am just giving them a hard time), so you can't see what might have happened. Though, when the camera does return, Moore hasn't moved very far from where he was when the camera moved away a few seconds beforehand.

So clearly, both sides had some issues here. It was a hard foul by Ngundji that probably warranted a flagrant one (stopping a played unimpeded to the basket; or better, too aggressive a foul in the first place). Ngundji probably also warranted a technical and an ejection for the hand into Moore's throat and face. Moore doesn't get off easy here, either. I could see at least one tech, if not to for his behavior - the problem is, the refs probably had to administer a tech that Moore could see so he understood he was in jeopardy of getting a second - probably improper administration there. I could even see a few techs going on other players for their behavior as well. Not good for either team.

And I would love to know why? I can't remember any time VWC and RMC have had issues with one another - especially in recent years. Heck, the Elite Eight game was one of the most hard-fought, clean games I have seen in a really long time (outside of Salem). It was tremendous. I can't imagine there has been some bad blood brewing between these two teams. Is VWC that frustrated their season isn't going as well as expected (thought they blew out Mary Washington recently - part of three straight 100+ point games, though the loss to CNU probably stung). Granted, 8-4 isn't bad, but I am sure they thought they would be better. Is RMC frustrated for a season they are building into nicely? I makes absolutely no sense at all.

Now, I haven't watched the rest of the game, but I heard the chippiness continued and Moore was searching for a reason to get a tech called and never got it. I hope to return to the game tomorrow to watch more when I have more energy.

Otherwise two thoughts:
- it isn't as cut and dry to blame just one team when clearly both teams had plenty of faults and problems (and maybe the national anthem things was just an excuse to pile on to the argument?)
- neither team looks good in this situation and it is a real shame players can't keep their heads
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

CMR

Was at the game, so I didn't have the benefit of video.  The National Anthem actions seemed disrespectful to me, hands on shoulders of guy in front with heads bowed.  I took offense, maybe others didn't.  On the altercation, from my angle I didn't see all of the initial actions, but I did see Moore chasing the RMC player and being extremely aggressive.  Based on your analysis, I would have tossed both players.  Fast forward to the second half, and watch the technical, VWC player standing over the RMC player and taunting him.  I stand by my original statements.

CMR

Quote from: y_jack_lok on January 04, 2017, 08:59:19 PM
Great win for the Jackets. Well played by both teams. Congrats. Impressed with the post game interview with Coach Merkel and the explanation of the last possession strategy.
Agreed, the RMC team grew up tonight, played tough, responded to adversity, good play calling by the bench.

DeWayneCarter

Looked like a typical Randolph-Macon vs Virginia Wesleyan slug fest to me, like back when Rhodes was there. I loved it lol the intensity plus the classic finish is what this rivalry is all about. The refs mismanaged the "incident" but after that, a classic VWC/RMC game was played. The anthem thing was kinda nit picky lol but it was a great game. I know the purists might hate it but when those two teams meet up, its just what happens lol

And for all the Josh Merkel stuff on the board earlier, that guy can flat out coach his tail off. Great guy as well. RMC better appreciate what he's building down there because that guy is gonna get it done. Doing it to the tune of 3-0 in the ODAC.

As for VWC, I think they're in the same territory as last year in that an ODAC title is what gets them to the tourney. Still plenty of time to figure it out but they need to do it sooner rather than later. Alot more tough games left in the ODAC for the Marlins

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Quote from: CMR on January 05, 2017, 08:58:48 AM
Was at the game, so I didn't have the benefit of video.  The National Anthem actions seemed disrespectful to me, hands on shoulders of guy in front with heads bowed.  I took offense, maybe others didn't.  On the altercation, from my angle I didn't see all of the initial actions, but I did see Moore chasing the RMC player and being extremely aggressive.  Based on your analysis, I would have tossed both players.  Fast forward to the second half, and watch the technical, VWC player standing over the RMC player and taunting him.  I stand by my original statements.

Don't look around at national anthems, then. In my opinion, this is just a complaint to fire people up for absolutely no reason. Many teams in many sports do different things as a sign of unity. I see plenty of women's team's hold hands lined up front to back. I have seen teams hold each other around their waists. And if you are going to complain, then how do you explain-off RMC? One guy was clearly full of nervous energy, a step in front of the entire line, constantly rocking on his feet (practically dancing) while swinging his head around. Another played had his arms around his teammate's, on either side, shoulders and three of them had their heads down. Other players were moving around as well. I have NO problems with any of what I just described, but if you think a team lined up, facing the flag, with one hand on each other's shoulders (unity), without moving, and being quiet is disrespectful for the national anthem... then don't look at other teams including your own. Everyone does it differently. No one stands at attention unless they are a military school (I have called Navy games in several sports). This seems like just trying to rock the cradle because you can - and because you had another thing to complain about so it feels like piling on.

It is also a reason, I think, the national anthem should possibly stop being played before EVERY SINGLE SPORTING EVENT... but that is a conversation for a very different time and place.
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

hasanova

Quote from: Dave 'd-mac' McHugh on January 05, 2017, 11:38:09 AMIt is also a reason, I think, the national anthem should possibly stop being played before EVERY SINGLE SPORTING EVENT... but that is a conversation for a very different time and place.
I know you said a conversation for another time and place, but I agree with you.  We, as a nation, have trivialized the national anthem by playing it before EVERY SINGLE SPORTING EVENT.  Be more selective and it will mean more, not less.  I personally don't need to stand and face the flag at every game to be a committed and loyal citizen.  in my mind, however, we all need teams who play, and live, with sportsmanship, honor and 100% effort. 

jknezek

Quote from: hasanova on January 05, 2017, 12:52:11 PM
Quote from: Dave 'd-mac' McHugh on January 05, 2017, 11:38:09 AMIt is also a reason, I think, the national anthem should possibly stop being played before EVERY SINGLE SPORTING EVENT... but that is a conversation for a very different time and place.
I know you said a conversation for another time and place, but I agree with you.  We, as a nation, have trivialized the national anthem by playing it before EVERY SINGLE SPORTING EVENT.  Be more selective and it will mean more, not less.  I personally don't need to stand and face the flag at every game to be a committed and loyal citizen.  in my mind, however, we all need teams who play, and live, with sportsmanship, honor and 100% effort.

It's an artifact from WWII. I don't think it will end anytime soon. We are a bit reactionary right now as a country, politically at least. I could see the Twitter in Chief haranguing any school or league that decided to end the tradition.

Pat Coleman

Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

jknezek

Quote from: Pat Coleman on January 05, 2017, 01:02:39 PM
... careful

That was a completely neutral statement. No value judgement at all. Lots of people would be happy to see any league or sport that stopped the playing of the anthem at the very least harangued on Twitter. Calling President Elect Trump the "Twitter in Chief" is only objectionable if you object to his using Twitter as much as he does.

It relates to DIII sports and pushes absolutely no political agenda. I think it was about as careful a statement as could be made. But the world is made up of various opinions...

scottiedoug

"It is also a reason, I think, the national anthem should possibly stop being played before EVERY SINGLE SPORTING EVENT... but that is a conversation for a very different time and place."

Except it comes up a lot in this place and similar places.  What exactly is the relationship between ball games and the national anthem anyway?  It has not made sense to me since it started, whenever that was.

CMR

D-MAC, I wasn't 'looking around', as the VWC team was between myself and the Flag, thus in my line of sight, and likewise why I didn't see the RMC players.  All disrespect (to me), individual or team, is disrespect.  While I don't condone the individual RMC players, I see an orchestrated and organized team show of disrespect at a higher level.  Maybe I'm too old to know otherwise.  I respect your opinion, but I'll keep mine.

y_jack_lok

Getting back to basketball. One thing I noticed from the box score of last night's R-MC/VWC game is the bench contributions. VWC had 70 minutes, 11 points and 13 rebounds from 8 players (only three of whom scored) off the bench. R-MC had 103 minutes, 31 points, and 17 rebounds from six players (four of whom scored) off the bench. I'm sure VWC has gotten better contributions from its bench in other games, but last night the Jackets' bench stands out -- as it has in several other recent games. That seems like a key to success if it continues.