World Cup and European leagues

Started by Jim Matson, June 11, 2006, 12:00:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

Quote from: Browneagle64 on August 23, 2007, 12:14:14 PM
Even though the U.S national team lost yesterday (for the fourth time in a row) in their exhibition game against Sweden, i am almost confident that they will be back in full game mode once the MLS season is over. There is no doubt that this team will bounce back, even after their tough Copa America experience, the boys will be more ready to produce wins.

Yeah, that was a marked improvement over past Euro performances.  They were creating opportunities and seemed to be in control as opposed to the constant scrambling we sometimes see against more talented squads.
Lead Columnist for D3hoops.com
@ryanalanscott just about anywhere

Browneagle64

My hat goes off to sweden for their win. ;D

Btw, Seems like "El Tri's following" are going back to their old ways in wanting coach sanchez to be removed from the head job. Most fans are tired of seeing El tri jump from being a good team back down to a mediocre team.
"Statistics are used much like a drunk uses a lamppost: for support, not illumination."--Vin Scully

"I don't really care," he said with an impish smile. "It's all about the Dodgers. I don't think anyone really watches hockey anymore.".....Tiger Woods

ScotsFan

Quote from: Hoops Fan on August 23, 2007, 12:55:05 PM
Quote from: Browneagle64 on August 23, 2007, 12:14:14 PM
Even though the U.S national team lost yesterday (for the fourth time in a row) in their exhibition game against Sweden, i am almost confident that they will be back in full game mode once the MLS season is over. There is no doubt that this team will bounce back, even after their tough Copa America experience, the boys will be more ready to produce wins.

Yeah, that was a marked improvement over past Euro performances.  They were creating opportunities and seemed to be in control as opposed to the constant scrambling we sometimes see against more talented squads.
I thought they played well.  That goal by Sweden was pretty questionable I thought as well.  At least the build up to the goal.  There was a blatant shove by a Swede right before he made the assist to Wilhelmsson.  If the refs would have called the blatant foul, Wilhelmsson would have never gotten the shot off.

Oh well, I guess that's what you get when you're playing on enemy soil... ::)

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

Clint Dempsey scored for Fulham today.  Good to see the American guys playing well in England.

sac

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

How did Rangers end up in pot 4?  That's a bit crazy.  I guess their coefficient is really down.  Although I'm not scared of Lyon.  I don't see that group as all that tougher than some others.  D, F, and G all seem equally difficult if nor more difficult than E.

Stinger

There's only two things I hate in this world. People who are intolerant of other people's cultures and the Dutch.

Nigel Powers - Goldmember

Hoosier Titan

Greetings from London!

England plays Israel in a must-win tomorrow night at Wembley.  There are lots of injury problems--Wayne Rooney and Frank Lampard are the biggest names--and Steven Gerrard and Owen Hargreaves are questionable.  Michael Owen has asked for Emile Heskey to be added to the side, as they were a very successful scoring team at Liverpool, and that has been done.  Perhaps the biggest question is who will play in goal, as Paul Robinson looked worse than shaky against Germany and again last weekend against Fulham.  The rejuvenated David James may get a start. 

We have booked tickets for the Liverpool match with Fulham at Anfield on 10 November--I don't want to think about the price.  The Reds look dangerous this year; Fernando Torres shows signs of delivering on the promise he showed playing for Spain in the World Cup.  And in late September we'll be taking students on a tour of Liverpool--mostly Beatles and other cultural history sites.  We'll be staying in the Brian Epstein Guest House--the late manager of the Beatles lived here as a child--and the place is located on Anfield Road, right down the road from the stadium!  We'll take the tour there as well.  Brilliant--we can hardly wait.
You'll never walk alone.

Hoosier Titan

This just in--Gerrard will play for England, and Robinson will start in goal over James.
You'll never walk alone.

Gotberg

I've got a 50 yard line, second level seat for this Sunday's US v Brazil game.  Looking forward to seeing the fancy footwork from our friends from Brazil.  The forecast calls for mid - high 70's.  Should be good weather for the game.
I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered. - George Best

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

Liverpool Fulham should be great.  Although it would stink in Clint Dempsey ends up beating your boys.  How's that for a mixed bag?

Hoosier Titan

Quote from: Hoops Fan on September 07, 2007, 08:58:19 AM

Liverpool Fulham should be great.  Although it would stink in Clint Dempsey ends up beating your boys.  How's that for a mixed bag?

Well, it would stink in a way, but I really like Dempsey though.  I'd rather be beaten by a goal by him than almost anybody else.  And with Keller, Bocanegra, and McBride also on the side, Fulham has the most Americans of any EPL side, I think. 

It's funny.  A few years ago, when we lived in Boston, a friend couldn't use his tickets to a New England Revs match and he gave them to us.  The weather forecast was lousy and I wasn't so into footie (er, soccer) at the time, and remember saying to my husband "If it rains, we're leaving!"  Now that we're here and paying a premium to go to the match, I've already said "If it rains, we're not leaving!" 

Prediction for tomorrow:  England 1, Israel 0.  Anyone else?
You'll never walk alone.

Mr. Ypsi

I've opened a Women's World Cup thread on the women's soccer board.  Since that board is all-but-deceased, I hoped it might either resurrect it, or stimulate discussion over here.

The Cup is coming soon!

(As a youth coach, I always advised my kids to watch the women.  The men tend to rely a great deal on speed and strength that few if any of my players would EVER be able to match; the women rely on skills and fundamentals that they CAN hope to achieve.)

Hoosier Titan

Wow, I was overly pessimistic about England today!  They looked better than they had in months, if not years.  A major part of the improvement seemed to be the presence of Emile Heskey, at the request of Michael Owen.  Heskey was active throughout the match, giving the wingers a great target and passing off to MO for a beautiful second half goal.  19-year-old Micah Richards continues to impress at both ends of the pitch.  Israel did not look good at all. 

Shaun Wright-Phillips scored the first goal off a nice cross from Joe Cole.  His father, Ian Wright, was one of the commentators before and after the match, and at halftime, so the BBC commentary was especially lively.

We went to a street market earlier in the day...gents could have purchased England t-shirts, boxers, briefs, and socks. Watches and mobile phone covers were available for all.  Should be a great atmosphere at Wembley for the match with Russia on Wednesday.

Good point about the Women's World Cup, Ypsi.  I think the point about fundamentals is true in other sports as well--I've noticed it in basketball.  The WWC is getting some press here--five years ago people seemed not to be aware that women even play football.

A good day for sport here in England, with wins in rugby and cricket (neither of which I comprehend at all!) as well.
You'll never walk alone.

Jim Matson

Brazil looked good today.  The US didn't look bad either although the first half was not as good as it could have been.  The own goal was very unlucky as the save was brilliant.

The overlook foul in the box was unbelievable - although contrary to the announcer's opinion, I think the match would have gone the same way.  We did score off that great cutback just minutes later.

Ypsi, I too look forward to watching the Women's Cup.
Managing Editor, D3soccer.com