MBB: Centennial Conference

Started by swish, March 01, 2005, 04:51:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

d3sthebest

jeff,
are you from connecticut?
i know some hoops fanatics with this surname.

Matt Letourneau

The F&M Athletics website is down so I can't confirm, but F&M defeated Scranton and Catholic defeated Carneigie Mellon tonight, setting up CUA vs F&M in a rematch at 7 pm tomorrow night. If anyone has updated information on the time, please post up.

CUA beat CMU by 15 tonight, but I don't have any details...Catholic wins  its 20th game for its EIGHTH straight season.  20 wins is not too bad for a rookie coach and a team that lost 3 starters, including a 1st team All American.

Jeff Maynes

Sure am D3sthebest - I'm a Tolland, CT native.

D3Dip-lo-nut

Pat: Is there a video available of the 2000 F&M vs. Calvin Semi Final?  I was there, as were you, but it all happened so quickly.  To the best of my recollection it was a "push off".  I ran into Sadowski and Maiatico (or was it Ritacco?) at Ursinus in 2003 and they still swear "he was pushed".  I'm not suggesting a Warren Commission on this, but I would like to go to my grave knowing for sure one way or another what definitely happened.  Our loss in the 1991 Finals was heart breaking, but it was without major controversy.  It's similar to how NYU probably still feels about their 1994 loss in OT to Lebanon Valley.  You remember -- the tip in AFTER the buzzer to send it into overtime.  Nothing will ever change history at this point, but it would be nice to know.  Care to hear any more sour grapes?

p.s.  LVC was and still is a bitter rivalry for the Dips, but I have no ill will toward them for a call that helped them win a national title.  They have done what F&M has yet to do -- bring home the champions hardware.  I'm rooting for them tonight at SJ Fish since they represent our region.  Go FD !

Warren Thompson

D3Dip-lo-nut:

Thanks for pulling for the Dutchmen tonight.  

In return, I'll cheer for the Dips (though if GRob hears that an LVC fan is on his side, even for one game, he'll likely get a terminal case of the vapors. http://discus.d3hoops.com/discus/clipart/proud.gif" ALT=":-O" BORDER=0>)

D3Dip-lo-nut

I won't be there, but I'll be listening through this link I found:

http://www.lvc.edu/lvc.asx" target=_top>www.lvc.edu/lvc.asx

Hope it works!

p.s.  Remember the time about 10 years ago when ESPN did a 5 minute piece on the F&M vs. LVC rivalry?  D-III gets so little coverage nationally, so I was very impressed.

Warren Thompson

lo-nut:

Yes, I hope it works. That's the log-in for the LVC closed-circuit radio station. Frequent poster Tim Flynn is the head honcho for the station.

D3Dip-lo-nut

Sorry Dub Tea:

Valley on short end of 66-58 final.

But on the bright side, my Dips took their 3rd ECAC championship in 4 years with a 66-56 pasting of Catholic!

See ya'll next year .....

Matt Letourneau

Good game at F&M, but what's with the excessive adjectives? On here, its a 'pasting,' but the F&M release has this paragraph:

"Overall, the Diplomats dominated in the game as F&M made 21-of-53 (39.6%) from the floor, six-of-17 (35.3%) from beyond the arc and a school record 18-of-18 from the free throw line."

DOMINATED? 39% from the field? Catholic shot 44%...this was a 1 point game with 10 minutes left...it was a close game until the end.  

Hardly dominating...pretty good showing, sure, but Catholic slowed down the tempo pretty well and Spirenberg completely shut down Danny Lynch. Had Satalin not being playing hurt...  

Congrats to the Dips though...

fritzdis

Matt, the F&M press releases are never very good in that respect.  As for D3Dip-lo-nut's description, well, either he wasn't there or he's prone to some serious exaggeration.  Catholic gave F&M their toughest game of the ECAC tournament BY FAR.

As for you saying "Had Satalin not been playing hurt ...", my response is:

Had Bob Lynch not missed most of the season ...

Matt Letourneau

Good point friz...you can never get into that 'what if' game because it never ends...'had Mike Lonergan not left for Maryland and all our recruits not gone somewhere else because Mike left...' Ha...you play with the hand you are dealt. I shouldn't have even gone there!

I understand that the press release has been altered.  Small point, but accuracy is always good.

Crazy Carl

Had LeBron decided to go to Carleton College with me rather than straight to the NBA . . .

Yeah, I went there http://discus.d3hoops.com/discus/clipart/happy.gif" ALT=":-)" BORDER=0>

Eric L. Powell

Fellow Centennial Conference Fans -

I note that McDaniel College has hired a new men's coach to replace Former Coach Dull. I wasn't aware that he had left McDaniel. Does anyone know the circumstances of or the reasons for his departure? Perhaps, the less than stellar win-loss record?

Hope that everyone is enjoying summer now that it has finally arrived in west-central PA! Just think, less than six whole months until the start of the 2005-2006 season! Regards to all.

Eric

beantown baby

Dull was fired from McDaniel for the poor record.  I also heard that he may have clashed with the administration.

Coach C

Does anyone know how Dennis Stanton is doing with his basketball career?  Last I heard, he was playing professional basketball in Denmark.