MBB: Centennial Conference

Started by swish, March 01, 2005, 04:51:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

swish

Pat,
In your opinion were there any coaching moves in the F&M-Ursinus game that were or were not made that surprised you?

Pat Cummings

Well...

Overall I was surprised that Wright was 0 for 9 from beyond the arc.  That isn't a coaching thing...more just a thing

I thought that GRob's defense on McGarvey was fantastic, but that being said, it was a classic example of having solid basketball players on a fundamentally sound team - give the "star" some trouble and a great player will find his teammates and adjust accordingly.  

GRob knew what he did in the anomaly that was the 90-61 F&M win earlier to keep McGarvey way off his game, but Coach Small adjusted incredibly with the play of McEvily/Shattuck/Furey/Fabian...

I really think that Ursinus's fundamentals can get them far, and that any postseason opponent is going to try to disrupt McGarvey.  If the rest of the Bears play as they did against F&M, a trip to the Sweet 16 could be in order.  

The Bears' biggest problem, obviously, could be the physical play of Ramapo...if the Bears get some officials who aren't used to NJAC-style play (and assuming a win against NYC Tech of course)...anything can happen.

Other than that Swish - to be roundabout...I was bcasting the game by myself and rather wrapped up in the play-by-play from my awkward angle at Mayser.  Nothing else seemed to jump out at me, although there certainly could have been things I missed...

Hence the benefit of having a color commentator.

Gordon "Marco Scutaro" Mann

Speaking of which...

Since my better half will be at GMC on Thursday, I'll be solo for the following.

NCAA Sports and D3hoopsNet will broadcast Thursday evening's NCAA Tournament men's basketball game between the New York City Tech Yellow Jackets and the Ursinus College Bears live from Helfferich Hall in Collegeville, PA.

This is the first year of a new partnership between NCAA Host Communications and D3hoops.com to provide coverage of the road to the Division III Championship in Salem, Virginia.

Alumni, boosters, parents, and members of both campus communities will be able to listen to the game for free over the Internet through a stream linked off http://www.ncaasports.com" target=_top>http://www.ncaasports.com.

Tip off is 7 PM with pregame coverage beginning at 6:45 PM.

I'll provide a more specific link if we have one later.

PenningtonisGod

Some follow up comments from the discussion of F&M/Ursinus...

Great game all around in that, like pat said, no lead was greater than five.  The key to the game though was the early play of number 12 who was five for five from three point range in the first half.  McGarvy struggled for most of the first half, and if not for the great 5-5 performance Ursinus probably would have fallen out of the game.  

From an intensity standpoint, it didnt quite match the wow factor of the 2003 title game.  The fans seemed more into that one.  This game was so much back and forth that fans were more attentive than boisterous.  

As Pat referred to, the officials didnt affect the game.  Two of them were pretty quiet while the other was kind of all over the place.  At the end fouls were even and that's what you'd expect.

d3pointer

SF23 - Do they offer Anger Management 101 at the 'Ford? Seriously, dude, at this rate you're going to have a stroke before you hit 25.

Fritz - Your post of 2/28 @ 2:42 a.m.(??) was sheer brilliance! That's why you're a starter and I'm just JV....

D3P

Eric L. Powell

From the F&M Website -

In ECAC Mens Southern Division action:

Franklin And Marshall Diplomats   -   116
Lincoln University Lions          -   100.

I was not at the game. Too far to travel and get up for work the next morning in the middle of the week. No other details available yet.

I should be able to get to Mayser Center in Lancaster for this weekend's games (semifinals and final). GO DIPLOMATS!

Regards to all.

Eric

Eric L. Powell

Folks -

In ECAC Southern Division Men's Basketball action:  

F&M defeats Lincoln  
Catholic defeats DeSales  
Carnegie Mellon defeats Gettsyburg  
Scranton defeats Alvernia.  

See everyone at Mayser Center in Lancaster on Friday and Saturday. Regards to all.  

Eric

Eric L. Powell

Folks -  

Details on the F&M Lincoln game in the ECAC Southern Divsion tournament from the stats posted on the F&M website as follows:

Lincoln - Kearse (40), Myrick (29), White (11 points/12 rebounds), and Hickson (10).

F&M - Dan Lynch (32), Smith (26), Outerbridge (17), Chasen (12), Teschke (11), Leonard (11), Wright (7).

Lincoln: FG - 40% (32-80), TPFG - 28.6% (8-28), and FT - 77.8% (28-36).

F&M: FG - 60.7% (34-56), TPFG - 60.9% (14-23), and FT - 72.3% (34-47).

Rebounds: F&M - 40, Lincoln - 39.

A ton of fouls: 3 Lincoln players fouled out and several more had 4 fouls; 1 F&M player fouled out (Smith) and several more had four fouls.

Didn't see the game. GO DIPLOMATS. Regards to all.

Eric

fritzdis

A bunch of Lincoln's fouls came over the last few minutes as they tried to climb back from a big deficit.  If F&M hadn't missed a lot of their free throws down the stretch, they would have won by 20-25.

atn alum

Just a reminder that the Urisnus/NYC Tech game tonight will be webcast by the NCAA using D3hoops.com personnel. http://www.d3hoops.com/audio" target=_top>http://www.d3hoops.com/audio for more information.

Coach C

The game tonight was great even though Ursinus lost by two points.  McGarvey seemed off his game tonight.  His offensive production wasn't as high as it usually is.

Ursinus is a young team and only one senior played tonight so I think they should be very good next season, I guess we will just have to wait and see.  Number 21 for Ursinus will be someone to watch over the next few years.  He is only a freshman and had an exceptional game.

D3Dip-lo-nut

First, I have to agree with the point by "CC" that Ursinus should be very good next season.  I'd even go so far as to say they are the team to beat in the Centennial Conference.  I think they played underclassmen exclusively against F&M, so they definitely have a lot to look forward to.

That being said,  I have a trivia question:

Who was the last Centennial Conference team other than F&M to win an NCAA Tournament game?

Give up?  It was Johns Hopkins in 1998 !  They won a 1st round game over FDU-Madison by a score of 87-47 and then lost in the 2nd round 67-62 to Catholic.  Here are some recent results:

2005 Ursinus lost 68-66 at home vs. NYC Tech.
2004 F&M got to Elite 8 round after a 1st round bye and wins in the 2nd round and Sweet 16.
2003 Ursinus lost 77-75 at Scranton in the 2nd round after a 1st round bye.
2002 Gettysburg fell apart, losing 78-59 at home in the 1st round to Lycoming.
2001 Gettysburg lost 60-52 in the 1st round at Hampden-Sydney.
2000 F&M got to the FINAL FOUR and lost a heart-breaking, last second thriller (on a "no-call" foul) to eventual National Champion Calvin.
1999 F&M beat Johns Hopkins 81-66 in the 1st round and then got paid back at Wilkes in a 77-58 crushing (the term "paid back" refers to the Diplomats 107-70 annihilation of the Colonels in the 1996 Elite 8)
1998 The CC Champion Muhlenberg Mules lost 77-61 to Scranton in the 1st round.  Johns Hopkins, with an at-large bid, beat FDU-Madison 87-47 in the 1st round.  Johns Hopkins then lost 67-62 in the 2nd round to Catholic.

I can't remember the last time a CC team other than F&M won a game in the 2nd round or later.  I guess it would have to have been in 1997 if ever (but doubtful) when Dickinson won the CC, because F&M dominated the CC from it's inception in 1993 through 1996.  In those 4 years, they went to the Sweet 16 in 1993, 1994, and 1995.  In 1996 they got to the FINAL FOUR where they ran into some unfortunate bad timing of illness and injuries.

My point out of all this is that F&M is the ONLY team in the Centennial Conference that has proven it can go DEEP into the NCAA Tournament.  Granted, they probably did not deserve an at-large bid this year; but I think they definitely did not deserve to be snubbed in 2002 and 2003 when they had great regular seasons but lost at the wrong time.  Like they say, you gotta win your conference.  We'll see what Glenn Robinson can come up with next year -- he never ceases to amaze me how he wins year after year after year ..........

p.s. F&M also won the ECAC in 2002 & 2003, the only 2 times I remember them being in that tournament.  There should be some great competition there this weekend, as the Dips host the semis and finals after beating Lincoln 116-100 in the quarters on Wednesday.

(Message edited by Diplonut on March 4, 2005)

PenningtonisGod

Hey Nut,

Very good analysis about F&M in the tournament.  I must say I have been surprised about UC's early exits.  I had a feeling they would have won their opener this year, and they definitely looked like a sweet 16 team a few years back.  As for Gettysburg, their 02 loss was no surprise as they had no place in the tournament after one of the poorest officiated games i have ever seen.

Hopefully the opening of more bids next year will prevent years like 02 and 03 where a very good Dip team did not make the tournament.

Pat Coleman

You wanted a push-off called on Foltice on that buzzer-beater? I didn't see it that way. Our broadcast crew, if I recall correctly, saw it as Sadowski going for the steal and being out of position to defend the shot.

Jeff Maynes

I don't think it is fair to say Gettysburg fell apart against Lycoming.  They brought the score very close with about five minutes remaining, but were unable to get over the hump.  The margin was inflated by free throw shooting.

And I hope we won't have to hear the "conspiracy theories" about 02 again.