CAC 2019

Started by Ejay, July 19, 2018, 04:46:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ejay

http://www.d3sports.com/notables/2018/07/cac-loses-another

Brutal.  Penn State-Harrisburg became the second program in as many weeks to announce plans to leave the Capital Athletic Conference, as the school announced it was returning to the North Eastern Athletic Conference starting with the 2019-20 season. The moves leave just six full member schools in the CAC for the fall of 2019: Christopher Newport, Mary Washington, St. Mary's (Md.), Salisbury, Southern Virginia and York (Pa.). Barring the addition of new members, the CAC would lose automatic bids in all NCAA Division III sports for the 2021-22 season.

TwoLeftFeet

Quote from: EB2319 on July 19, 2018, 04:46:49 PM
http://www.d3sports.com/notables/2018/07/cac-loses-another

Brutal.  Penn State-Harrisburg became the second program in as many weeks to announce plans to leave the Capital Athletic Conference, as the school announced it was returning to the North Eastern Athletic Conference starting with the 2019-20 season. The moves leave just six full member schools in the CAC for the fall of 2019: Christopher Newport, Mary Washington, St. Mary's (Md.), Salisbury, Southern Virginia and York (Pa.). Barring the addition of new members, the CAC would lose automatic bids in all NCAA Division III sports for the 2021-22 season.

This appears to put the conference at a tipping point, where they either need to recruit some schools off of neighboring conferences (e.g. Landmark, Centenial, MAC-C, ODAC) or face extinction due to the remaining schools abandoning the conference.  The CAC has also lost its geographic center.  With the recent departure of Marymount, there isn't a single school within the DC beltway, and only St. Mary's and Mary Washington are on the fringe of the capital area.  In particular this will leave York geographically isolated, and despite being a founding member, I can't imagine why they would want to hang on, versus trying to find a home in the Landmark or Commonwealth conferences.

I imagine this also adds a recruiting negative for coaches in the remaining schools, given the potential loss of NCAA AQs.  On the plus side, if Frostburg gets accepted there will be a D-II soccer option in Maryland, for those that want that option.  I know a number of Maryland players that have gone to play D-II soccer at PA and WV schools, who might have liked to have an option in Maryland.

I also have to wonder how much Christopher Newport's success has been a factor in the exodus of some schools out of the conference.  Looking at the CAC website, since joining in 2013, they have won the following number of championships out of a total of 21 mens/womens sports:

2013/14: 6/21
2014/15: 7/21
2015/16: 9/21
2016/17: 12/21
2017/18: 10/21

Kudos to CNU for their success in a wide range of sports, though Salisbury still dominates in Lacrosse, and UMW in swimming and for the most part, tennis.  It is hard to say how much CNU's success has played into the exodus, but when one school has won on-average half the total conference championships over the last three years, I could see it being a negative for recruiting new schools into the CAC. 

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

As one who has been following, covering, and diving in deep on the CAC and it's future for several years now, a couple of things of note (based a lot on the last post):

- The conference isn't going to get any teams from the Landmark, Centennial, Commonwealth, or ODAC. Almost NONE of the schools in those conferences are interested in joining a conference with Salisbury, Christopher Newport, Mary Washington, nor St. Mary's for starters. Heck, even York is a department institutions don't want to deal with (more in a moment).

- As far as becoming extinct, I don't think the CAC dies, actually. It just may not have AQs and such, but the four or five listed above aren't going to get INTO conferences, either. They will need a conference for a lot of other reasons people don't think about (awards and NCAA presence) and they aren't going to be joining conferences as individuals.

- I am not sure where one thinks the CAC's geographical center really was located. I understand many think it was DC, but I never felt that way. As one who played in the conference (in soccer no less), DC just happened to have a couple of schools... but I have always thought the CAC was a "Mid-Atlantic" conference... not a "Washington, DC" conference. Furthermore, conferences have to change and adjust and "geographic centers" change all the time. ODAC has spread out. Some don't, but it isn't new to be changing geographically. Ask the NESCAC, NAC, and others. Also, Salisbury (founding member) and CNU are further from DC than Mary Wash or St. Mary's.

- York has a similar problem the rest do... where are they going to go? I can't tell you how many conversations I've had that make York seem an unwanted guest. People point to lower tuition rates and the like which basically would "eliminate" the Centennial, Landmark, AEC, CSAC, and others. York isn't going to want to go into the NEAC, either. The only conference I could see fitting with YCP and reverse is the MAC (Commonwealth, most likely, though not a great balance option). I think the MAC might be interested (especially per other information I've learned about the conference), but it is not a slam dunk. Yes, YCP is most likely looking... but finding a partner is not going to be easy. (BTW, York has been on the extreme geographically, along with Frostburg, since the beginning; nothing new there.)

- Not sure how it will affect recruiting. While they will lose AQs, you could almost take the Pool Bs and make then AQs in most sports. Most of these schools have programs competing for national championships anyway... not sure that changes in a non-AQ situation. The biggest challenge will be scheduling more than anything.

- I am not sure CNU's presence is the conference is the tipping point. Remember, Catholic and Goucher left the CAC well before CNU was a conference member. I also know other schools like Marymount had a chance to leave around the same time as CUA and GOU and chose not to. Hood and Stevenson came and went prior to CNU being in the conference as well. It isn't like the "public v private" situation hasn't been around for quite some time. CNU may have pushed some schools to make the decision, but those same schools voted to accept CNU as well. I will add, while CNU won the titles it would be worth looking at who finished second and third and who else got NCAA bids ... that tells more of the story than just CNU winning the titles.

The CAC has been trying to solve the problem. I know they have looked south and north. They aren't getting anywhere, unfortunately. To the south is the USA South. It is pretty well known that the northern side of that conference will probably split off if they get the numbers together. That same group, though, isn't interested in CNU since they wanted them out of the USAS back when CNU left. To the north has been schools like Stevens - but the Ducks just announced they are joining the MAC Freedom, so they are off the list of options.

Sadly, there aren't a lot of other options. I think there are some in NJ, but I am not sure it can get pulled off. I think there are options in PA, but I don't think the CAC can convince some schools to come especially now that Harrisburg is out of the conference.

One thing I am quite confident in: Southern Virginia will be leaving as well. They will most likely join whatever USA-South off-shoot is created. YCP is the other one to watch. As mentioned, YCP may leave for the MAC, though still not absolutely sure. That leaves CNU, SAL, SMC, & UMW ... and I don't think there are any other conferences who would want any of those members necessarily (btw, include the size of a conference in one's thinking; the ODAC is LARGE... it isn't going to want to get larger).

One other note for those who do mention it on the boards (other boards), the NJAC isn't an option to obsorb the CAC members - the NJAC bylaws restrict full membership to New Jersey state schools only (associate members is a wide open option).

There is ONE absolutely crazy idea that could save the CAC, or at least the core four, but that one idea requires an earthquake like shift in a regional conference and I'm not convinced that's going to happen at least in the very near future.
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

Ejay

York would make a good fit in the MAC Commonwealth.  Regarding CNU, their football team already plays in the NJAC and their soccer team did come up north to play Rowan and Rutgers-Camden last year.  Is there a drawback to being an associate member, rather than a full member? As for the ODAC, perhaps some schools would leave in favor of joining the USA South off-shoot (should it form), thus opening up spots for someone like MWU, CNU, Salisbury?

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Quote from: EB2319 on August 13, 2018, 02:05:56 PM
York would make a good fit in the MAC Commonwealth.  Regarding CNU, their football team already plays in the NJAC and their soccer team did come up north to play Rowan and Rutgers-Camden last year.  Is there a drawback to being an associate member, rather than a full member? As for the ODAC, perhaps some schools would leave in favor of joining the USA South off-shoot (should it form), thus opening up spots for someone like MWU, CNU, Salisbury?

Yes - YCP may be a good fit, but let's be honest... the Commonwealth may be getting a bit "too good." I just mean that in the sense of giving everyone a chance. Feels a little heavily weighted and adding YCP could make it worse. Not sure the right solution. We shall see. The question becomes, how many MAC schools feel YCP is really a state college and don't want to have anything to do with them. I hope they don't take that tactic.

Yes, CNU and Salisbury play football as associate members in the NJAC, but that's it. As associate members, they don't have any say in the future of the conference. They basically only have a vote in their individual sports - not the conference as a whole.

As for their soccer team, that is out of conference scheduling... those schools agreed to those games. That doesn't mean the NJAC is interested in having CNU (or Salisbury, or others) as part of the conference as a full member. It also would take the NJAC changing it's by-laws to allow out of state schools... which isn't going to happen.

As for the ODAC, don't bet on any of them leaving for the USA South offshoot. There is no reason for them to do it. First off, remember Ferrum just left the USA South for the ODAC. Secondly, the ODAC has a better football conference, I don't see enough football schools leaving the ODAC for a conference created with Averett, NC Wesleyan, and others. I just don't see any ODAC schools interested in joining those USA South schools even if it is a new conference. Then your idea includes UMW, CNU, or Salisbury going into the ODAC - I don't see that necessarily happening. I don't see schools like Washington and Lee being all that enthusiastic to have state schools suddenly in the mix for a LOT of reasons.

To add to my previous comment, I think SMC is the one school in that core four that has a decent chance of moving to another conference, but like YCP the choices are limited.

Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

TwoLeftFeet

Thanks for your expert insight Dave but jeez, as a parent of a CAC athlete, I was hoping for someone to paint a little rosier picture than my own pessimistic view! :-\  If the conference drifts geographically south, that would seem to put even more pressure on the northern contingent to bail out.  York's issue isn't just distance, but traffic.  Every conference away game will be a trip around Baltimore and Washington.  On a weekday, they are looking at miserable traffic in at least one direction, and Saturdays are often no cakewalk either.  For Salisbury and St. Mary's, both public colleges, the overwhelming majority of their athletes are from Maryland (maybe not so much in lacrosse at Salisbury).  If I am a parent of a recruit, hearing that most conference away games are going to be a 4+ hour drive would certainly go in the negative column.  Granted, a diligent coach and AD can try to balance this out to a degree in their OOC schedule.  St. Mary's is peculiar in being a small LAC, yet public.  They would appear to be a good fit in the Centennial or Landmark based on size and academics, but I wonder if those conferences would even allow a public college in their by-laws, yet alone seriously entertain accepting one into their ranks.  Anyhow, thanks again for your insights, it will be interesting to see how it all plays out.

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Quote from: TwoLeftFeet on August 13, 2018, 05:28:40 PM
Thanks for your expert insight Dave but jeez, as a parent of a CAC athlete, I was hoping for someone to paint a little rosier picture than my own pessimistic view! :-\  If the conference drifts geographically south, that would seem to put even more pressure on the northern contingent to bail out.  York's issue isn't just distance, but traffic.  Every conference away game will be a trip around Baltimore and Washington.  On a weekday, they are looking at miserable traffic in at least one direction, and Saturdays are often no cakewalk either.  For Salisbury and St. Mary's, both public colleges, the overwhelming majority of their athletes are from Maryland (maybe not so much in lacrosse at Salisbury).  If I am a parent of a recruit, hearing that most conference away games are going to be a 4+ hour drive would certainly go in the negative column.  Granted, a diligent coach and AD can try to balance this out to a degree in their OOC schedule.  St. Mary's is peculiar in being a small LAC, yet public.  They would appear to be a good fit in the Centennial or Landmark based on size and academics, but I wonder if those conferences would even allow a public college in their by-laws, yet alone seriously entertain accepting one into their ranks.  Anyhow, thanks again for your insights, it will be interesting to see how it all plays out.

I am sorry I couldn't be rosier... I wish I could. Remember, I'm a CAC guy. I played soccer for Goucher in the CAC during my collegiate career (plus my involvement with many other aspects of the athletic department and the CAC). I don't want the CAC to disappear and I would hope it would be strong. I am also one who absolutely disagrees with the notion that leaving a conference due to state schools' presence and the challenge of recruiting against them is ... bollocks. Changing conferences doesn't suddenly change the physical location of schools.

But I digress...

Yes, York's location per travel has always been a challenge, but first off ... they have dealt with it in the past and in some ways there are solid options to get around Baltimore and DC without dealing with the Beltways (or at least BOTH). I know them well from my own personal travels for work in this region. I would argue that usually the traffic and travel challenges are part of the conversation as to when teams travel to locations and thus the scheduling for conference games is handled so that the longer and tougher trips are on weekends and the shorter, less difficult trips are on the weekdays. However, each sport is different with these parameters.

As for public and private schools... most of what is left of the CAC are publics, but with their own unique attributes. Salisbury University is a traditional public school. Christopher Newport, St. Mary's, and Mary Washington are all honors (liberal arts) public college. While York College is a private college, it acts in much the same way as CNU, SMC, and UMW in it's tuition and academics (thus sometimes the confusion about YCP for many). That said, YCP and Southern Virginia are the privates left in the CAC.

I agree and can understand how travel could be a negative with recruiting. That said, I would contend that it is part of the equation whether it be conference or non-conference. Teams have to travel to play games especially if they want to be competitive on the national scale. If any recruit is looking at the institutions in the CAC, but don't want to have long travel as part of the equation ... they aren't recruits that will work out. That is the case whether it is a strong 8-10 member conference or one struggling to stay at five or six members currently. These teams travel long distances anyway in non-conference play in an effort to be national contenders. And while you may feel the coach and AD can balance it out in their OOC scheduling, I would argue it depends on the sport. In soccer, there are plenty of solid competition short drives away ... but not in all sports and sometimes even in sports where Mid-Atlantic competition is strong ... playing in a different region is a strong way to better the position of a program.

(On a side note, with web streaming abilities of most schools and departments now, travel isn't a big a deal as it used to be for those outside of the team.)

SMC could be a good fit in the Landmark, I would think. Maybe the Centennial, but I am not sure the CC is interested. That is why I mentioned I think they may be able to find an exit strategy better than most. As for the by-laws of conferences, I am not aware of any in the Mid-Atlantic that preclude state schools. I would have to triple-check on the MAC, though, to be honest. The real challenge isn't the by-laws, it's the egos and attitudes of presidents, ADs, and coaches in those regions who can't see the bigger pictures behind their own misconceptions and fragility.

I am interested to see how this all plays out as well. Who knows, maybe there are some big pieces that will shift in the future and suddenly the CAC will be even stronger. It could happen as fast as the CAC ended up in their current situation. One thing I have learned in all these years ... there is always something I didn't see coming ... around the corner. :)

Ejay

The CAC won't lose their AQ until 2021-2022.  Does that give them 4 years to find enough new members and keep their AQ, or is the thought it will self-destruct prior?

jknezek

ODAC bylaws preclude public institutions. That is not going to change. So looking to the ODAC is really only an option for SVa, who is becoming an associate member for football in for the 2019 season. But I don't think the ODAC has any interest in them becoming a full-time member. Some sports in the conference are already too big.  As stated above, SVa must be hoping for a USASAC split.

TwoLeftFeet

Well, necessity is the mother of invention.  Hopefully, over time things will work out for the best for each of the remaining members, in whatever form that takes place.

Falconer

Kudos for great reporting, Dave. Thank you for the information and the opinions.

I agree that YCP joining the MAC Commonwealth makes some sense, and it will be interesting to see how it shakes out if they formally seek inclusion (perhaps they have already done so). I don't know how they are perceived by the conference presidents. On paper, YCP is one of the oldest colleges in the USA, far older (to the best of my knowledge) than any other MAC school, yet unlike the NESCACs and the Centennial schools, they aren't an "elite" academic school. They were not a 4-year college until (I think) the 1960s, which is even later than Messiah's similar transformation. Their endowment is smallish considering the size of the student body, yet tuition on paper (ignoring financial aid generated by gifts and the endowment) is a great deal smaller than a typical MAC school. Former president Robert V. Iosue (who retired in 1991) deliberately kept tuition lower than it probably should be, by getting more teaching from faculty than most MAC schools expect. (Incidentally, Grove City College has a similar approach, but their endowment per student is much higher. They offer absolutely minimal financial aid, apart from a tiny number of full scholarships in engineering, but discount the sticker price to remain attractive to prospective students.)

So, they could be seen as an outlier by MAC presidents.

Athletically and geographically, however, they seem a natural fit for the Commonwealth. I take your point about raising the level of competition (I assume you were referring to soccer, not necessarily other sports), but speaking narrowly as a Falcon fan I would like to see that happen. The Falcons play York nearly every year anyway, so the only differences would be that the results matter more for seeding in the conference playoffs--not to mention the playoffs themselves. I would anticipate that York might replace another playoff team most years, and that wouldn't hurt. Now that Etown is out of the MAC, it would be great to see join Messiah and Lycoming in the top tier. Lately York hasn't been at that level, obviously, but (as you said) there will always be things you don't see coming. Generally speaking, the Commonwealth has not been one of the top conferences in soccer on a national level. Adding a resurgent York (two contingent factors there) wouldn't hurt.

I also see your point about perhaps--perhaps--SMC joining the Landmark. However, that would make for some awfully long road trips, with Scranton and Drew and even Juniata, which is in the middle of nowhere about two hours NW of Messiah. My goodness, I've been to SMC and you almost can't get there from here (near Harrisburg). It takes maybe 4 1/2 hours if the DC traffic isn't terrible (which it usually is). There simply is no easy way to do it. If I'm the AD at Scranton, I'm not enthused about that prospect.

I agree that the Centennial is not realistic for them at all.

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Quote from: EB2319 on August 14, 2018, 10:37:32 AM
The CAC won't lose their AQ until 2021-2022.  Does that give them 4 years to find enough new members and keep their AQ, or is the thought it will self-destruct prior?

Depends on the sport (some are already in trouble). I believe your four year time line is too long... I think it is three years? Frostburg and Harrisburg are gone after this season, thus putting the CAC on the clock starting in 2019-20... meaning 2020-21 will be the last season of the AQ for soccer - off the top of my head.

So essentially, it gives them three years to find the right numbers to keep their AQ. I do NOT think the CAC will disappear. Because four of the schools are going to have trouble finding a home, they might as well stay together. Not having AQs doesn't mean the conference cannot exist (there are other needs for a conference).

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Quote from: Falconer on August 15, 2018, 01:03:38 PM
Kudos for great reporting, Dave. Thank you for the information and the opinions.

I agree that YCP joining the MAC Commonwealth makes some sense, and it will be interesting to see how it shakes out if they formally seek inclusion (perhaps they have already done so). I don't know how they are perceived by the conference presidents. On paper, YCP is one of the oldest colleges in the USA, far older (to the best of my knowledge) than any other MAC school, yet unlike the NESCACs and the Centennial schools, they aren't an "elite" academic school. They were not a 4-year college until (I think) the 1960s, which is even later than Messiah's similar transformation. Their endowment is smallish considering the size of the student body, yet tuition on paper (ignoring financial aid generated by gifts and the endowment) is a great deal smaller than a typical MAC school. Former president Robert V. Iosue (who retired in 1991) deliberately kept tuition lower than it probably should be, by getting more teaching from faculty than most MAC schools expect. (Incidentally, Grove City College has a similar approach, but their endowment per student is much higher. They offer absolutely minimal financial aid, apart from a tiny number of full scholarships in engineering, but discount the sticker price to remain attractive to prospective students.)

So, they could be seen as an outlier by MAC presidents.

Athletically and geographically, however, they seem a natural fit for the Commonwealth. I take your point about raising the level of competition (I assume you were referring to soccer, not necessarily other sports), but speaking narrowly as a Falcon fan I would like to see that happen. The Falcons play York nearly every year anyway, so the only differences would be that the results matter more for seeding in the conference playoffs--not to mention the playoffs themselves. I would anticipate that York might replace another playoff team most years, and that wouldn't hurt. Now that Etown is out of the MAC, it would be great to see join Messiah and Lycoming in the top tier. Lately York hasn't been at that level, obviously, but (as you said) there will always be things you don't see coming. Generally speaking, the Commonwealth has not been one of the top conferences in soccer on a national level. Adding a resurgent York (two contingent factors there) wouldn't hurt.

I also see your point about perhaps--perhaps--SMC joining the Landmark. However, that would make for some awfully long road trips, with Scranton and Drew and even Juniata, which is in the middle of nowhere about two hours NW of Messiah. My goodness, I've been to SMC and you almost can't get there from here (near Harrisburg). It takes maybe 4 1/2 hours if the DC traffic isn't terrible (which it usually is). There simply is no easy way to do it. If I'm the AD at Scranton, I'm not enthused about that prospect.

I agree that the Centennial is not realistic for them at all.

Yes... sadly, some presidents have those egos I was referring to earlier that actually get in the way of solutions that make sense. I've said that publicly often. I understand where presidents come from, but sometimes their buddy-buddy systems or high-and-mighty thinking aren't what's best or the smartest idea ... it's just what works best for them (or boosts their self-inflated egos). Just ask around about how the Centennial suddenly had Bryn Mawr in the mix ... and can't get rid of them.

My point about York raising it's level of competition was across the board in general. YCP was pretty darn good in soccer when I was playing collegiate soccer - they weren't a favorite to play especially on their old field. The CAC back then was insane as well. But lacrosse(s) have improved, men's basketball is returning to the conversation, and other sports. Their facilities are top-notch and they should be commended for it.

Yes, tuitions are low, but college presidents (in particular) have to stop pretending that as big a deal as it looks on paper. By the time most privates are done discounting, granting, scholarship-ing, and couponing their tuitions the numbers are far closer across the board than they were when it started. Privates have more wiggle room (because their numbers are ridiculously took high to start with) where as state schools have no ability to adjust their tuitions per student ... and YCP being so low to begin with they don't have a ton of movement either (BTW, check out the stories this off season of how YCP has been dealing with a significant budget shortfall - it isn't pretty).

Now as for SMC ... first off, we have to start changing the conference. The landscape in this region is simple - you have to travel now to get to conference foes. SMC to Southern Virginia isn't that easy - you have to head north to head south. Salisbury to anyone on the western shore is a car accident away from disaster (I can tell you the story about the Salisbury v Stevenson NCAA men's lacrosse game that started three hours late because of it). That said, we need to discuss how people are traveling from Harrisburg to SMC if they are dealing with DC traffic ... because my trip from Baltimore County NEVER features DC traffic. The DC beltway should NEVER be the option heading to DC for the record.

But ... I disgress ... again.

If any of these teams want to save themselves or the conference, it is going to take dealing with travel. Interestingly, not once have I heard anyone leaving the CAC mention travel (Wesley's trips aren't easy)... though Stevens we all knew wanted to stop traveling to Buffalo (ironic considering they didn't want to be in the Landmark SMH). At least most of the trips for SMC would be on highways ... except that trip to Juniata. That just doesn't work for anyone. LOL

BTW - I consider the Scranton AD to be a friend ... I'll ask him. :)

As for the Centennial - they have never changed their membership in any way - up or down - since they were founded. I could see maybe one school leaving if they really feel it would be better ... and maybe eventually Bryn Mawr moved on ... but all of those ideas are a bit of a stretch.

Ejay

Quote from: Dave 'd-mac' McHugh on August 16, 2018, 10:27:39 PM
If any of these teams want to save themselves or the conference, it is going to take dealing with travel. Interestingly, not once have I heard anyone leaving the CAC mention travel (Wesley's trips aren't easy)... though Stevens we all knew wanted to stop traveling to Buffalo (ironic considering they didn't want to be in the Landmark SMH). At least most of the trips for SMC would be on highways ... except that trip to Juniata. That just doesn't work for anyone. LOL

I find Stevens move to MAC Freedom quite interesting.  That school has hardly anything in common with Kings, Del Val, Wilkes, etc.  The quotes from their coaches sums it up best:

• "This shift will undoubtedly provide our student-athletes with a much more balanced college experience. "

• "an underlying benefit to this move is the opportunity now afforded to our student-athletes to truly heighten their overall experience at Stevens by having additional time in their schedules to invest in other academic or extra-curricular areas, which will pay dividends to the entire campus community."

• "Time is a precious commodity, and this will enable our student-athletes to be better invested in design projects, group meetings and many campus activities enriching their time at Stevens. "

• " believe our student-athletes' quality of life just skyrocketed with this move. I believe this will allow our student-athletes to continue to have excellent success in their academics as they compete in a conference more regionally suitable.

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

The move makes the most logical sense... Stevens has been challenged ever since they backed out of the Landmark. Remember, they were there for all of a hot minute (plenty of stories as to why that happened). They were left with one choice at the time... Empire 8. However, that means a lot of trips to Buffalo and other further reaches of New York State.

They wanted out for a lot of the reasons you read in the last post, and read between the lines. They needed shorter trips and such.

MAC Freedom makes the most sense. Furthermore, it makes the MAC Freedom a better conference in a lot of ways instead of it being less than it's sister, Commonwealth, in a lot of sports.

I thought Stevens could end up in one other conference ... but the travel alone, thus allowing their students to be on campus or in the classroom more, makes the Freedom pretty much the only logical choice. Skyline and other conferences aren't competitive enough nor do those conferences want a school like Stevens.

BTW - remember the MAC is all private institutions. They have more in common than it may seem from the outside.