BB: Midwest Region

Started by BaseballFan, February 18, 2007, 10:04:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BigPoppa

Quote from: therocket21 on April 29, 2016, 01:09:09 PM
No surprise at all with the top four spots. I think St. Johns will probably take over that 5 spot instead of St. Mary's next week (They swept St. Thomas last weekend).

St. Scholastica faces Northwestern this weekend in a battle of 10-0 UMAC teams. Should CSS stumble, they could fall out entirely, and I am not certain that UNW would be strong enough slide into the #6 spot.
Baseball is not a game that builds character, it is a game that reveals it.

AppletonRocks

Quote from: cubs on July 14, 2015, 12:02:37 AM
Quote from: ShineTime on July 13, 2015, 11:29:14 PM
I still haven't gotten over the fact he screwed point over.  When he called it quits at Milwaukee I'd have thought he would've gone to point rather than Oshkosh. Didn't seem to want to play for a legit national title contender.
That had absolutely NOTHING to do with it...

WTH are you talking about?
Run the floor or Run DMC !!

2016 WIAC Pick 'Em Board Champion

therocket21

St. Scholastica faces Northwestern this weekend in a battle of 10-0 UMAC teams. Should CSS stumble, they could fall out entirely, and I am not certain that UNW would be strong enough slide into the #6 spot.
[/quote]

Well BP, you called it! Did not see that one coming!
http://www.csssaints.com/news/2016/4/30/baseball-saints-split-doubleheader-with-northwestern.aspx
I also heard that the UMAC has now switched up the format for the conference tournament? Not sure if it is true, but heard that there is a chance Northwestern could now host the UMAC tourney even if they both win out!

BigPoppa

Quote from: therocket21 on May 02, 2016, 12:58:57 PM

Well BP, you called it! Did not see that one coming!
http://www.csssaints.com/news/2016/4/30/baseball-saints-split-doubleheader-with-northwestern.aspx
I also heard that the UMAC has now switched up the format for the conference tournament? Not sure if it is true, but heard that there is a chance Northwestern could now host the UMAC tourney even if they both win out!
[/quote]

The UMAC just got very interesting... as did the Midwest Regional Rankings. The loss by St. Scholastica to Northwestern could be trouble for the Saints. They could slide right out of the regional rankings...

cubs

Quote from: BigPoppa on May 02, 2016, 01:50:31 PM
The UMAC just got very interesting... as did the Midwest Regional Rankings. The loss by St. Scholastica to Northwestern could be trouble for the Saints. They could slide right out of the regional rankings...
In the big picture does it really matter though?

How many Pool C bids are their this season?  14 I believe?

How often has the #6 team in the Midwest Regional Rankings earned a Pool C bid?  I wouldn't think it would be all that common.
2008-09 and 2012-13 WIAC Fantasy League Champion

2008-09 WIAC Pick'Em Tri-Champion

BaseballFan

Quote from: cubs on May 02, 2016, 03:12:52 PM
Quote from: BigPoppa on May 02, 2016, 01:50:31 PM
In the big picture does it really matter though?

How many Pool C bids are their this season?  14 I believe?

How often has the #6 team in the Midwest Regional Rankings earned a Pool C bid?  I wouldn't think it would be all that common.

Agreed. Think CSS just needs to focus on  taking care of business in the conference tourney which they should.  They have had close run ins before so not unheard of here. By the way this is probably the toughest non conference schedule they have ever had just unfortunate the bottom couple umac teams really bring down their SOS. Also they two games against St Thomas coming their way that could change regional rankings

Captain_Joe08

Just curious seeing UWW ahead of CUC in the rankings despite CUC sweeping Whitewater in the DH they played a few weeks back. Though I think it's due to the fact that the rest of the NACC is mired in a down year.
Once a Warrior always a Warrior.
WLC Men's Tennis (2014 NACC Tournament Champs)
2014 MIAA Football Pick 'Em Champ
2014 WIAC Football Pick 'Em Regular Season Co-Champ
2014 National Confidence Playoff Champion
Milwaukee Brewers: 2018 NL Central Champions

Just Bill

Quote from: Captain_Joe08 on May 03, 2016, 02:19:37 PM
Just curious seeing UWW ahead of CUC in the rankings despite CUC sweeping Whitewater in the DH they played a few weeks back. Though I think it's due to the fact that the rest of the NACC is mired in a down year.

New rankings have flipped CUC and UWW...

Midwest Region           
1   Wis.-La Crosse   26-7-0 ( 0.788)   26-7-0 ( 0.788)   
2   Concordia Chicago   28-9-0 ( 0.757)   28-9-0 ( 0.757)   
3   Wis.-Whitewater   22-9-0 ( 0.710)   22-9-0 ( 0.710)   
4   St. Thomas (MN)   23-9-0 ( 0.719)   23-9-0 ( 0.719)   
5   Saint Mary's (MN)   22-11-1 ( 0.662)   22-12-1 ( 0.643)   
6   Saint John's (MN)   25-9-0 ( 0.735)   25-10-0 ( 0.714)   
"That seems silly and pointless..." - Hoops Fan

The first and still most accurate description of the D3 Championship BeltTM thread.

BigPoppa

Of note: St Scholastica's loss to Northwestern pushed them out of the Midwest rankings. Appears that the UMAC title will likely be their only shot as a Pool C looks out of reach at this point.(Though they have NEVER NOT won the UMAC title).

BaseballFan

CSS swept st Thomas today. Should bump them back into regional rankings. St. John's was swept so imagine they will swap positions but don't think their is another ranking before the selection

Be interesting to see what happens since cuc, ust, uww all lost multiple game this week.

In my eyes all these teams are about equal except LAX.

MIACLUV

The Tommies better figure things out tonight or they are done! The rankings on D3 are wrong, according to NCAA.com, St Johns is out and CSS are the #6 behind the Tommies, tough pill for CSS to swallow considering the sweep this past weekend. I don't see the MIAC getting a C bid with all the upsets around the country.
Here's the link to the NCAA Regional Rankings
http://www.ncaa.com/rankings/baseball/d3

therocket21

Well, doesn't look like the Tommies figured it out. They have now lost five in a row. Could St. Mary's still get a pool C if they don't win the tournament? They have consistently been in the regional rankings and I'm wondering if there is any chance for two MIAC teams to get in?

BigPoppa

At what point does St. Scholastica look to leave the UMAC for baseball? They just won their 19th straight UMAC title. It's not even a contest for them anymore.

BaseballFan

Quote from: BigPoppa on May 14, 2016, 07:42:57 AM
At what point does St. Scholastica look to leave the UMAC for baseball? They just won their 19th straight UMAC title. It's not even a contest for them anymore.

Probably not going to happen for many reasons.  Would the conference let them stay in all other sports if they try to opt out in just baseball? Also not in their best interest to go Independent and hope they get picked for a pool B bid, they have been there done that. Why CSS is not in the MIAC has been discussed a lot in the past on here as well. Plus there is a thing called loyalty.

I think the better question is when does the rest of the UMAC in baseball improve? The problem is the bottom of the UMAC has always been so poor. Bethany Lutheran dropping off so much has hurt. Bringing in UWS helps some but North Central really hurts.  Who knows maybe if the MIAC schools continue to have tuition at over $42,000-65,000 per year, it will convince some kids to go play ball somewhere more affordable.

But maybe it will never get much better since Minnesota is oversaturated with the number of division 2 and 3 baseball programs.

AO

Quote from: BigPoppa on May 14, 2016, 07:42:57 AM
Does it matter that much when your main goal involves the NCAA tournament and you play more games against the WIAC/MIAC than you do against the UMAC in the regular season?