MBB: NESCAC

Started by cameltime, April 27, 2005, 02:38:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ronk

amh63,
    I forgot to give you notice earlier - I'm on a team(Ground Chucks) playing in the MD Senior Olympics today @ the Discovery Center in Germantown(3-on-3 bball, 65-69+ age) at 9:30 AM, 10:10, and either 11:30, 12:20, or both. Might be someone you know playing in the other age groups, too. 

amh63

ronk....thanks for the invite/ info.  Arrived back from the beach in Delaware on Fri.  My daughter's family came back with us.  My granddaughter will be a houseguest for a week.  Her parents will return to Ithaca later today.  Do keep me abreast of your travels...recruiting.  Maybe I will join you at a Tourny or game in the area.

ronk

Quote from: amh63 on August 27, 2016, 09:02:35 AM
ronk....thanks for the invite/ info.  Arrived back from the beach in Delaware on Fri.  My daughter's family came back with us.  My granddaughter will be a houseguest for a week.  Her parents will return to Ithaca later today.  Do keep me abreast of your travels...recruiting.  Maybe I will join you at a Tourny or game in the area.

We went 0-2 in pool play(one reffed by my fitness center buddy and former NBA all-time great, Adrian Dantley). Then, in medal single elimination, we won the 3rd vs 2nd place game. In the championship, we snatched defeat from the jaws of victory, leading the whole game until the final 30 seconds, fell behind by 1, missed our go ahead-shot, fouled to get the ball back. They made both ends of the 1-and-1 to go up 3, fouled us twice to use up some clock, and then I narrowly missed the tying 3.
  Good experience- 1st time for me.

amh63

ronk...so you still got it!  Becoming a long ball guy :).  Do remember AD...the DeMatha and Notre Dame great.  Did not follow him much in the NBA.  Still effective with his 6' 5" frame and inside game, I believe.

dman

Looks like Williams enjoyed a nice trip to Spain....

nescac1

The dman -- long time! 

This seems to be the perfect year for Williams to take this trip, with such a large rising sophomore class, most of whom will play key roles on the team next year.  Last year's Williams team was the least experienced I can ever recall -- only one senior and only one junior in the regular rotation, with two frosh playing major minutes and three more frosh as rotation players.  Although the Ephs finished a disappointing (by Williams standards) 15-10, they went 1-5 in games that went down to the final two possessions, which I think was a product of having such an inexeperienced roster.  The team has a lot of room for growth in terms of playing with poise and cohesion (there seemed to be around a turnover per game caused by a player throwing a confused pass to absolutely no one), and I think that the added familiarity will pay big dividends this season now that the team has a far more experienced roster. 

The reports from Spain suggest that Daniel Aronowitz will again be the main man on the team, but nearly all of the rising sophomores seemed to make their presence felt, with three sophomores sharing the center duties and collectively rebounding very well, and two others (Casey and Scadlock) both having at least one strong scoring game.  The sixth sophomore, James Heskett, is visible wearing a walking boot so did not play, but I note that he has obviously grown since last year, when he was listed at 6'7.  He now looks more like 6'9 to me, hopefully with the same set of perimeter skills ... also, it's clear that a lot of the other young players have added some badly-needed bulk, and hopefully will continue to do so over the course of the pre-season, since the Ephs got muscled around quite a bit last year by the more physical teams on the schedule. 

toad22

My wife and I travelled to Spain with the Williams team last week. It was a great trip, lots of highlights for everyone involved. The team had almost no practice before engaging in three games with Spanish opponents. The Ephs played very well. It is clear that Daniel Aronowitz has continued to improve, and will be a force in the NESCAC. Cole Teal will be a high scoring guard, as will soph Bob Casey. The center position will be interesting to watch, as Marcos Soto, and Michael Kempton had their moments. Kyle Scadlock looks to be much better than he was last year, so I am very encouraged about the Eph season.

The best part is that Jane and I have continued our tour of Europe in France this week. Bon apitite!

amh63

nescac1

A nice welcome from Kevin App to the four incoming Eph recruits.  Seems like another very strong recruiting class for Coach App, but of course time will tell!  Once again, a lot of size (6'9, 6'6, 6'5, 6'2) and geographic diversity (California x2, Ohio, Massachusetts).  This year's roster will have five players from California, three from Ohio, two from Indiana, and only one from all of New England ... if Brookins lives up to the last two Ephs from Ohio, I'm sure Williams fans will be very happy.  Bonus points to Babek for the snazzy bow-tie. 

https://twitter.com/CoachKevinApp/status/771761263235960832
https://twitter.com/CoachKevinApp/status/771760981244542977
https://twitter.com/CoachKevinApp/status/771760728982351872
https://twitter.com/CoachKevinApp/status/771760359304749058

maineman

When is the first day NESCAC practices can begin....11/1?

nescac1

I believe it is typically 11/15.  The rest of D3 is 11/1.  Which is why NESCAC teams are smart to schedule carefully for the first weekend of games ... they are always a bit behind the eight-ball. 

ronk

Quote from: nescac1 on September 07, 2016, 10:23:26 AM
I believe it is typically 11/15.  The rest of D3 is 11/1.  Which is why NESCAC teams are smart to schedule carefully for the first weekend of games ... they are always a bit behind the eight-ball.

The rest of D3 is 10/15.

nescac1

Thanks Ronk -- then NESCAC must be 11/1.  I know it's typically two weeks later ...

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

11/15 is the first game.  10/15 is the first practice.  Usually NESACAC is somewhere in between.
Lead Columnist for D3hoops.com
@ryanalanscott just about anywhere

D3HoopJunkie

Outsider here and not quite familiar with these rules so can someone explain why the NESCAC is later? And is the 10/15 first practice the official start date for all of D3