Lacrosse

Started by drisclaw, July 03, 2011, 09:27:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MUC57

After winning the OAC regular season championship, last night the Raiders won the OAC Tournament Championship as well. Both of these was for the 6th consecutive year, the only years the OAC has recognized lacrosse.
Tonight we'll find out the makeup of the bracket and who we play. Now, if they can just get past the 1st round. Those Eastern teams are real powerhouses. In the IWLCA top 25 poll, outside of Colorado College, the western most team seems to be York (Pa).
Whatever happens, I'm proud of this team. Go Raiders!  :o

I might not have made it clear that I'm posting about WOMEN'S lacrosse. Sorry!  :'(
I'm old! I get mixed up and I forget things! Go Everybody! 🏈 ☠

jknezek

W&L wins their 10th straight ODAC Championship in Women's Lax, beating RMC for the 5th straight season in the finals. The men also won on a defenseman goal with just a couple seconds left. Both head to the NCAA tournament riding significant winning streaks. The women haven't lost since losing 11-9 at Gettysburg 3/9, and the men haven't lost since playing at Gettysburg 3/13, in a 14-13 game.

The women have dropped just 2 games all season by 4 goals. They are definitely looking to return to at least the Final Four, a spot they appeared at just 2 years ago. The men had a rockier start, losing 4 games total by 6 goals, including 3 away games by 1 goal apiece and a home loss to F&M by 3 goals.

Looking forward to the tournament.

W&L's men's (first since 2016, but finished 2nd in the NCAA tournament last year and won individual championship) and women's (2nd consecutive) golf teams both also won the ODAC, as did the men's (10th straight) and women's tennis teams (17th straight).

Vandy74

Quote from: MUC57 on May 05, 2019, 09:00:26 AM
After winning the OAC regular season championship, last night the Raiders won the OAC Tournament Championship as well. Both of these was for the 6th consecutive year, the only years the OAC has recognized lacrosse.
Tonight we'll find out the makeup of the bracket and who we play. Now, if they can just get past the 1st round. Those Eastern teams are real powerhouses. In the IWLCA top 25 poll, outside of Colorado College, the western most team seems to be York (Pa).
Whatever happens, I'm proud of this team. Go Raiders!  :o

MUC57,

The Mount Union women are 4-5 in NCAA tournament play and last year was the first time in five postseasons that they failed to win their first game, which was lost to #5 Mary Washington.  This season you host a three team regional bracket and, with a bye, play the first round winner.  I don't think the Raiders will beat Catholic, who should have no trouble with Albion, but I don't rule out the possibility entirely.  It was #15 Catholic who beat you 21-8 in the 2015 regional finals played at Cortland State.  Not all of Mount Union's tournament wins have come against "western" opposition.  In 2016 they beat #17 Washington & Lee in the first round.  Washington & Lee just happens to be the current #1.  Your Raiders are just three seasons removed from defeating the top ranked program in this year's tournament.  So, you're proud of this group?  Sure, why not. ;)

MUC57

Vandy74

I'm up on all your info on Mount's past performance. Still nice to see it in print.
I agree they probably won't beat Catholic, who, like you said, should have no trouble with Albion. It's nice to have the games at Mount Union. What you didn't mention was that Mount has played 3 games here in Alliance - and has won them all. 3 - 0 at home.
I know. That doesn't mean they will be favored, but we need all the help we can get!. Sure is nice to dream.
Mount has a great coach and has had a good 7 years playing lacrosse. Hopefully they will continue to recruit top players, win the OAC and make the NCAA playoffs. Maybe even compete with "the Eastern schools". I just hope they do it soon. At my age, I'm running out of time.
Always appreciate your comments on Mount or anything having to do with this great sport. Best to your teams and Go Purple Raiders.  ;D

amh63

Some Nescac men's lacrosse news.  Yesterday, Amherst beat  Tufts in Medford to reach their first ever semi-final NCAA game.   Williams will be their opponent!  Williams beat RIT in Rochester, NY.....the no 1 ranked team in  2OT.  Only other prior game RIT lost  was a game in Md...opponent...Amherst! 
Amherst had to beat Wesleyan, the  2018 Nat. champs, in order to meet Tufts...the top rated team in the North Region of the NCAA.
Should be a interesting Amherst vs Williams game :)....two schools that never before played in a NCAA semi-final game.
On the women's side.....Amherst plays in Salisbury Md. on Sunday in a NCAA game. 

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

I was trying to get to Salisbury for the women's weekend of games ... but too much going on that I need to handle at home. I'll be obviously watching the games online.

Interesting set of games coming up this weekend.
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

Vandy74

Quote from: amh63 on May 16, 2019, 03:39:51 PM
Some Nescac men's lacrosse news.  Yesterday, Amherst beat  Tufts in Medford to reach their first ever semi-final NCAA game.   Williams will be their opponent!  Williams beat RIT in Rochester, NY.....the no 1 ranked team in  2OT.  Only other prior game RIT lost  was a game in Md...opponent...Amherst! 
Amherst had to beat Wesleyan, the  2018 Nat. champs, in order to meet Tufts...the top rated team in the North Region of the NCAA.
Should be a interesting Amherst vs Williams game :)....two schools that never before played in a NCAA semi-final game.
On the women's side.....Amherst plays in Salisbury Md. on Sunday in a NCAA game.

amh63,

It's good to hear from you. although I haven't posted on the board this season as often as I usually do either.  Who knew that the Amherst men would have to win the equivalent of a Little Three championship to advance to the DIII final game. :D  My money is on the LJs.

The weather is threatening to finally be Spring-like here this weekend when the MC women host their regional.  I'll believe it when it happens. ::)  It's another matchup with always dangerous Bowdoin.  I see the Amherst women are seeded on the other side of the bracket.  Perhaps three games from now we'll have a Middlebury-Amherst championship game rematch from 1999, 2001 and 2003.  The Panthers won the first two, the second in 2OT, and the LJs won it all in '03.  Of course, six excellent teams stand in the way.  Let's play 'em.

amh63

Vandy74.....good to hear from you.  Let's hope there will be another Amherst-Midd game...maybe like the one in 2003...at JHU.
Was at the Amherst game in Gettysburg last year where Amherst almost won over Gettysburg. Been to Salisbury by the shore for a lacrosse game...too long of a trip for me this year.  Initially there was no video of the game but the NCAA came through.

amh63

Good day for 4 of the 5 Nescac Women lacrosse teams in the "elite-eight".  Four...Midd, Amherst, Wesleyan and Tuft won.  Bowdoin, the fifth team lost to Midd.  Amherst to meet regional host Salisbury on Sunday. 
Game time in conflict with the Amherst vs. Williams men's final four game in Willytown.  Oh well, decision to be made or have both games on separate electronic devices. :)

MUC57

Quote from: amh63 on May 18, 2019, 07:39:55 PM
Good day for 4 of the 5 Nescac Women lacrosse teams in the "elite-eight".  Four...Midd, Amherst, Wesleyan and Tuft won.  Bowdoin, the fifth team lost to Midd.  Amherst to meet regional host Salisbury on Sunday. 
Game time in conflict with the Amherst vs. Williams men's final four game in Willytown.  Oh well, decision to be made or have both games on separate electronic devices. :)

amh63

Congrats on the victory over Catholic. I thought Catholic, who beat Mount Union, was a really good team. Speaks well for Amherst, who must be deserving of their position in the playoffs.
Good luck against Salisbury. Guess they must be pretty decent, he said, snickering.
NESCAC certainly has outstanding teams. Good luck to all of them.     :D

amh63

Afternoon and evening on Lacrosse watching.  My take of the games...both men and women games.
Vandy 74....you were correct :)...Amherst did the "little three" sweep in the NCAA today.  At Willytown Amherst did a 5-0 scoring sweep of the Ephs in the 4th period
and won going away...will play the Title game in Philly.
Tufts won over York on a windy afternoon in Medford.  Midd crushed F&M in Vermont.  Wesleyan won in Gettysburg after two weather delays..lightning delays.  The Pa. schools all had a BAD day.
Only Amherst lost today to host Salisbury near the Ocean.  The Jeffs led most of way, but a Salisbury goal in the last 4 seconds won the 8-7 game.  Still proud of the Amherst ladies :).  Young team...maybe next year.....all the way.  Remember the title win with a great player from Vt...now coaching at Deerfield/AD...and a great player from Baltimore.  Amherst has a great young player from Baltimore...Dunbar.  Need a great player from the Green Mountain State...near Midd. 

MUC57

amh63

Tough loss for the ladies of Amherst. They're obviously a great team.
You're saying "maybe next year....all the way". Those of us in Purple Raider land are saying "maybe next year....we can get past the first game".
Good luck next year to both teams. Damn, I love this sport. Go Jeffs! Go Raiders!   :o

Oh! By the way, you call them the "Jeffs". This must be because of Jeffrey, Lord Amherst. But aren't the teams called "The Mammoths"? Thanks!  ???

amh63

MUC57....YES, I am old school and refer to the athletic teams as Jeffs.  For generations, the school had the informal mascot "Lord Jeffs"...after the British General Lord Jeffrey Amherst in the French-Indian War.  The man who gave Williams its mascot, "Ephs" and the town land/name where Williams is located served under Lord Jeff.   Anyway, with a new Prez...the present Prez...arrived, there was a push for a new mascot in the new world of political correctness, etc., etc.  the present Amherst mascot was the result.   There is in the Geology Museum, a Skeleton of the new mascot.  For my classmates at our 55th Reunion, our gift baseball hats has Lord Jeffs on the back and we sang the now "banned" Lord Jeff Amherst song before the Prez arrived at our formal class dinner.   There is an Inn in town owned by the school that has had it's name changed too.  Like many in my class, I await for the departure of the present Prez before again contributing to the school.  Many classmates still give gifts to the athletic teams via the appropriate athletic fund.  Oh yes, I believe the school is named after the town of Amherst which is named after the General.

MUC57

amh63

Thank you sir. Always interesting to hear stories like that. Good luck next season. Go Jeffs!  ;D

amh63

NESCAC came out with its all academic lists in Spring sports.  Evan Wolff, player of the year in men's lacrosse has made the all academic list for the 2nd time.  Lots of other lacrosse players too.