BB: SCIAC: Southern California Intercollegiate Athletic Conference

Started by Ralph Turner, December 31, 2005, 09:33:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Teddy_Ballgame

Quote from: MIFDad on March 11, 2020, 01:20:40 PM
NESCAC has canceled all spring sports.  I suspect that we are not far behind.

The Claremont Colleges (ie Pomona-Pitzer and CMS) have cancelled in person classes for the foreseeable future, telling students to stay home after spring break. https://tsl.news/coronavirus-covid-19-classes-canceled-online-claremont/?fbclid=IwAR1E2wpb4FK7UKTuzGUoTDCgOrPC0hAGCaITBcgMbkcKWan77Gil3urVIMk

Have to assume we'll get word of SCIAC suspending spring sports indefinitely in the imminent future.

Jack Parkman

Quote from: Teddy_Ballgame on March 11, 2020, 06:49:05 PM

The Claremont Colleges (ie Pomona-Pitzer and CMS) have cancelled in person classes for the foreseeable future, telling students to stay home after spring break. https://tsl.news/coronavirus-covid-19-classes-canceled-online-claremont/?fbclid=IwAR1E2wpb4FK7UKTuzGUoTDCgOrPC0hAGCaITBcgMbkcKWan77Gil3urVIMk

Have to assume we'll get word of SCIAC suspending spring sports indefinitely in the imminent future.

Yep, no chance the SCIAC continues playing this year. I guess Cal Lu is crowned National Champs again!

Jack Parkman

https://www.chapmanathletics.com/general/2019-20/releases/20200311s53ees

Chapman suspends all face-to-face classes and athletic events. I guess this means the whole season is done as they won't have one school do it and others not follow suit. Have to assume the entire d3 season is done. Such a shame.

Teddy_Ballgame

Quote from: Jack Parkman on March 11, 2020, 07:09:01 PM

Chapman suspends all face-to-face classes and athletic events. I guess this means the whole season is done as they won't have one school do it and others not follow suit. Have to assume the entire d3 season is done. Such a shame.

Pomona-Pitzer spring sports officially canceled as well. Just a matter of time for the rest of the conference/country. I was skeptical at first, but the more I read the more this seems necessary. Really sucks for the kids, especially the seniors. Not a lot of 5th year guys at the D3 level, or in a conference with academics like SCIAC.

SoCal OG

Quote from: Teddy_Ballgame on March 11, 2020, 08:49:49 PM

Really sucks for the kids, especially the seniors. Not a lot of 5th year guys at the D3 level, or in a conference with academics like SCIAC.
[/quote]

I feel so bad for the seniors.  What a sucky way to end your playing career to say it mildly.  And for the guys who had hopes of being drafted...its hard enough from the D3 level but now to do it with an incomplete Sr. year.

SoCal OG

As expected, Oxy season is now cancelled and students being sent home and will finish semester online.

Teddy_Ballgame

Quote from: Teddy_Ballgame on March 11, 2020, 08:49:49 PM
Quote from: Jack Parkman on March 11, 2020, 07:09:01 PM

Pomona-Pitzer spring sports officially canceled as well. Just a matter of time for the rest of the conference/country. I was skeptical at first, but the more I read the more this seems necessary. Really sucks for the kids, especially the seniors. Not a lot of 5th year guys at the D3 level, or in a conference with academics like SCIAC.

Andddd the NCAA has canceled all Spring championships. MLB Spring Training suspended, start of season will almost certainly be delayed substantially. We don't have any baseball for the foreseeable future  :'( :'( :'(

SoCal OG

NCAA has given spring students an extra year of eligibility.  In the SCIAC, I cant imagine many (if any) Sr's coming back to play.  If going to grad school, I can imagine some trying to walk on/try out.   

SoCalSoxFan

Quote from: Jack Parkman on March 11, 2020, 06:56:12 PM

Yep, no chance the SCIAC continues playing this year. I guess Cal Lu is crowned National Champs again!

Yes, it would seem #1 at time of cancellation is Champion.
That's what they do with Conference champions, but not sure 🤔 if they do that with National??  Or this year had no champion?

SoCal OG

Quote from: SoCalSoxFan on March 13, 2020, 03:01:18 PM

That's what they do with Conference champions, but not sure 🤔 if they do that with National??  Or this year had no champion?

Technically, Oxy was undefeated in conference play....lol

Jack Parkman

Quote from: SoCal OG on March 13, 2020, 03:06:53 PM
Quote from: SoCalSoxFan on March 13, 2020, 03:01:18 PM

Technically, Oxy was undefeated in conference play....lol

Haha, that is true.

I do think the SCIAC would have been very competitive if the whole season was played out. There is some serious talent that is going to be missed next year if those Seniors do not have the ability to come back and play.

MIFDad

I was out walking today and thinking about Aaron Fitts' proposal that D1 baseball resume play of the 2020 season in the fall, then have an abbreviated post-season, followed by a late MLB draft.

That got me thinking -- what if the NCAA allowed D3 schools to play a fall ball season?  Not a continuation, but a short stand-alone season to rescue some of the  time lost by students unlikely to pay for another year of school just to play D3 baseball. In keeping with the spirit of D3, I figured it would be something like this. 1 week of practices, followed by a 5 or 6 week season.  During the season teams would be limited to 3 practices and a Saturday DH.  Or maybe 2 practices and add a Friday game.

I floated it by my kid today and of course he shot it down with only two words. "Never happen".  I said, but it would be cool, right?  "Yep.  Never happen."

But still.  It would be cool.

SoCal OG

Quote from: Richard Hamstocks on June 08, 2020, 10:40:38 AM
https://jack-hanley.shinyapps.io/D3_Spraycharts_2019/
App for viewing spray charts of any player in D3 during 2019 season.
Type in your kids name -> Click GENERATE BIO/OPPONENTS -> Click GENERATE SPRAY CHART 
Estimated from play by play data hosted on team sites. 
Have fun.

Hey, thats kinda cool.  Nice work to whoever compiled it. 

SoCal OG

Has anyone heard of any Sr's that will come back for another year?

Jack Parkman

Quote from: SoCal OG on June 08, 2020, 11:17:37 AM
Has anyone heard of any Sr's that will come back for another year?

I wouldn't expect a lot of Seniors to return for various reasons.  I listened to a podcast with Laverty and he said they had 7 Seniors on this years team and none of them will be back.