FB: Ohio Athletic Conference

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 05:05:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dr. Acula

Quote from: HCAlum86 on August 10, 2018, 02:34:28 PM
So much harder to retain those Florida players, from my experience.

Mount will always have high attrition in the freshmen class, but even more so with the FL kids you're right.  The combination of distance, weather, academics (for some) and the mountain of kids on the depth chart make it a recipe for non-retention of the FL kids.  It's the ultimate "cream rises to the top" scenario.  You're going to find a Poorman or a Fulford or a Brown, etc. but you're going to bring in and then lose a handful of kids to get that one that sticks.

thewaterboy

Quote from: Dr. Acula on August 10, 2018, 03:53:24 PM

Mount will always have high attrition in the freshmen class, but even more so with the FL kids you're right.  The combination of distance, weather, academics (for some) and the mountain of kids on the depth chart make it a recipe for non-retention of the FL kids.  It's the ultimate "cream rises to the top" scenario.  You're going to find a Poorman or a Fulford or a Brown, etc. but you're going to bring in and then lose a handful of kids to get that one that sticks.
These huge classes that Mount gets are what help keep Mount at the top. Their reputation obviously makes it this way I know that, but you have to think that this gives them (and teams with no roster caps in their conferences) an advantage in terms of recruiting. Thinking in terms of Wesley, who has come back to the pack a little bit since moving to the NJAC, their roster limit leads to a more focused recruitment of guys, thus limiting the talent you bring in.

It wasn't long ago when Wesley was able to bring in as many as they wanted, and it wasn't unusual to have a teammate/friend of a recruit come in and develop himself into a solid football player. This is not so likely anymore IMO.

hsbsballcoach7

Quote from: thewaterboy on August 10, 2018, 04:42:01 PM

These huge classes that Mount gets are what help keep Mount at the top. Their reputation obviously makes it this way I know that, but you have to think that this gives them (and teams with no roster caps in their conferences) an advantage in terms of recruiting. Thinking in terms of Wesley, who has come back to the pack a little bit since moving to the NJAC, their roster limit leads to a more focused recruitment of guys, thus limiting the talent you bring in.

It wasn't long ago when Wesley was able to bring in as many as they wanted, and it wasn't unusual to have a teammate/friend of a recruit come in and develop himself into a solid football player. This is not so likely anymore IMO.

IMO roster limit might be A reason for some programs, but I'd say it's a very small impact. The WIAC has roster limits, but they work around it by using grayshirts (player won't "report" to football program until 2nd year of school and still get 4 years of playing time. Their tuition is also smaller because they're state schools, but it works for them. OAC schools are all private schools who charge 30,000 plus (before academic and grant aid). Each Mount freshman class starts huge, but with each passing year I'd guess that class drops about 50 percent.

s e 76

only need to retain a few of them

thewaterboy

Quote from: hsbsballcoach7 on August 10, 2018, 05:26:07 PM
Quote from: thewaterboy on August 10, 2018, 04:42:01 PM

IMO roster limit might be A reason for some programs, but I'd say it's a very small impact. The WIAC has roster limits, but they work around it by using grayshirts (player won't "report" to football program until 2nd year of school and still get 4 years of playing time. Their tuition is also smaller because they're state schools, but it works for them. OAC schools are all private schools who charge 30,000 plus (before academic and grant aid). Each Mount freshman class starts huge, but with each passing year I'd guess that class drops about 50 percent.
Yeah I get that, but my point is more that Mount has more of a selection of players early on. That is an advantage. The WIAC also has its own advantages.

Ereraider

Any info on the WJ scrimmage available yet?

SaintsFAN

Quote from: Dr. Acula on August 10, 2018, 01:57:49 PM
Quote from: D O.C. on August 10, 2018, 01:07:28 AM
Not surprised by Florida one bit.
Could see that coming the last couple of years.

I think the sudden substantial increase is a little surprising.  FL has been the second largest recruiting source for years now, but seeing it overtake OH was surprising IMO.  Equally as surprising was the lack of western PA recruits.

The population is shifting to the southeast.  Cheaper, better weather etc...

Thomas More has really increased the number of FL kids, too.  But they've also got kids coming from TN, GA and AL too. 
AMC Champs: 1991-1992-1993-1994-1995
HCAC Champs: 2000, 2001
PAC Champs:  2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016
Bridge Bowl Champs:  1990-1991-1992-1993-1994-1995-2002-2003-2006-2008-2009-2010-2011-2012-2013 (SERIES OVER)
Undefeated: 1991, 1995, 2001, 2009, 2010, 2015
Instances where MSJ quit the Bridge Bowl:  2

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

We on the hoops side did a story last year or the year before on Husson recruiting Florida students as well. Then a paper in Maine talked about how many schools in the state look to Florida. Being that it doesn't have a lot of "small colleges," students who want to get an education and still play sports is a wide open ground for a lot of programs.
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

Pokerplayer

Latest from W&J's SID is W&J will be at MU on Aug 16, and MU coming to W&J Aug. 23

Dr. Acula

Gearing up for the season I watched a few replays on YouTube Sunday.  2014 vs. Wesley, 2015 vs. UWW and UST.  Man, that 2015 team was fun.  Lally and Furda just wrecking things for opponents.  And it's always fun to go back to 2012-2014 and watch Burke at work.  Running that read option to perfection, firing BB's to Kennedy, etc.  I'm ready for football.

hsbsballcoach7

Quote from: Dr. Acula on August 13, 2018, 04:08:18 PM
Gearing up for the season I watched a few replays on YouTube Sunday.  2014 vs. Wesley, 2015 vs. UWW and UST.  Man, that 2015 team was fun.  Lally and Furda just wrecking things for opponents.  And it's always fun to go back to 2012-2014 and watch Burke at work.  Running that read option to perfection, firing BB's to Kennedy, etc.  I'm ready for football.

Haha I did the same exact thing!!!
My favorite was watching the 2015 team. Scott to Namdar deep with Nemeth and Mitchell running around and through people. That defense was always making big plays. Lally and Furda were 2 of my favorites to watch.

Desertraider

I also did the Raider-a-thon. The more I rewatch last years Stagg - the better it gets. Did the highlights of all the previous Stagg Bowls and the epic semi final against UMHB - what an ending.

Ready for Sept. 1st - and even though no pre-game brunch my girls have agreed to go as well (though my 9 year old is still a bit unsure and wants to know if she can get S'more pizza any where else). Oh well...priorities.
RIP MUC57 - Go Everybody!
National Champions: 1993, 1996, 1997, 1998, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2005, 2006, 2008, 2012, 2015, 2017
The Autumn Wind is a Raider!! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pzEYK_XjyLg
Immaculate Prevention: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eZLq_acsVN0

purple

Interesting conversation with a man close to Mount union football. He is very impressed with the skill players as one would expect. However, he commented the back up QB is. "very good", and a freshman running back has made quite an "impression". When I asked him if this is one of Mount's great teams, he smiled and said they are going to be  "really, really good." He was very pleased the semi-final will be played at Mount Union and that for once, the Championship game will be played in good weather.

hsbsballcoach7

Quote from: purple on August 13, 2018, 08:00:53 PM
Interesting conversation with a man close to Mount union football. He is very impressed with the skill players as one would expect. However, he commented the back up QB is. "very good", and a freshman running back has made quite an "impression". When I asked him if this is one of Mount's great teams, he smiled and said they are going to be  "really, really good." He was very pleased the semi-final will be played at Mount Union and that for once, the Championship game will be played in good weather.
That's encouraging to hear bc from my untrained eye, our freshmen class is pretty darn good on the Online, 3-4 WRs that could contribute soon if needed and defensive spots filled with solid talent. QB and RB were my question marks for the freshmen group.

Craft_Beermeister

Quote from: hsbsballcoach7 on August 13, 2018, 09:00:48 PM
Quote from: purple on August 13, 2018, 08:00:53 PM
That's encouraging to hear bc from my untrained eye, our freshmen class is pretty darn good on the Online, 3-4 WRs that could contribute soon if needed and defensive spots filled with solid talent. QB and RB were my question marks for the freshmen group.

I heard a couple of weeks back that LK thought the recruitment class this year was strong and he indicated a skin QB from North Carolina could really fling the ball.  The word I heard is that the team coming back will be strong and UMU reloaded very well.

I assume the freshman QB that LK was referring to is Caleb Homol.  I don't know if Caleb is the highest rated QB recruit that UMU, brought in, but aperently his arm strength caught LK's eye.