2018 Great Lakes Region

Started by bestfancle, August 28, 2018, 12:09:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Flying Weasel

Quote from: PaulNewman on October 31, 2018, 11:49:03 AM
Quote from: Flying Weasel on October 31, 2018, 11:31:03 AM
Paul Newman, not sure what you mean by "seems a bit speculative".  There is nothing speculative about pointing out the timing of their big losses and to whom.  And it's not going out on a limb to suggest that teams rarely go from unranked to ranked after a week in which they lose by 2 or 3 goals to an unranked team.  On the other hand, it's always 100% speculation when discussing why voters voted how they did.  I limited myself to presenting some things the voters might have been considering on two given occasions during the season without theorizing on the full reasons for their votes (or lack thereof) on those two occasions, much less on other weeks.

Flying Weasel, you described above in your own words how it was 'speculative.'  You stated some factual info which you were citing, and which you then suggested might correlate with a failure to be ranked.  I'm not sure what the difference is between 'not going out on a limb' and 'speculation,' but fair enough.  The thing is, though, that the original question was why they weren't ranked NOW.  No one other than you was asking why they weren't ranked the immediate weeks following those losses, so the correlation you were implying, it seemed to me, was between 'not going out on a limb' to why they weren't ranked at the times of those losses to 'speculation' about why not now.  You were offering thoughts about why not ranked or receiving votes currently, correct?

You're correct that my original post diverted from the question about why Capital isn't ranked NOW, but that wasn't my intent.  I was thinking about why they aren't ranked now, but my post didn't communicate that because I took for granted the effect (and general awareness of the effect) of the inertia of being ranked/unranked, and focused instead on two key points in time when Capital was positioned to overcome that inertia and failed.  So poor communication on my part.  Hopefully my second response connected the dots between my first post and the original question, namely that two possible reasons/factors for not being ranked now are (a) the inertia of being ranked/unranked and (b) the possibility that there's not extensive re-visiting/re-evaluating of earlier results/opponents.

Christan Shirk

GREAT LAKES REGION - NCAA REGIONAL RANKINGS - October 31, 2018

Rank

School
. Div. III .
Record
. Div. III .
SOS

. R-v-R .
. Overall .
Record
. Prev. .
Rank
Case Western Reserve
14-2-1
6-2-1
14-2-1
John Carroll
12-4-1
3-3-1
12-4-1
Carnegie Mellon
10-4-2
3-3-2
10-4-2
Kenyon
14-1-2
1-1-2
14-1-2
Capital
14-3-0
2-3-0
14-3-0
Mount Union
12-3-1
3-1-0
12-3-1
Ohio Wesleyan
12-3-2
1-2-1
12-3-2
Ohio Northern
10-7-1
1-5-0
10-7-1
Christan Shirk
Special Consultant and Advisor
D3soccer.com

PaulNewman

Kenyon struggling with Wabash as Wabash has 9 men behind the ball and don't care if they cross midfield...looking for either a goal off a counter or free kick and otherwise playing for PKs.  Smart strategy and Lords need a goal to get them out of it.  Slippery field conditions in rain as well.  0-0 at half.

Domino1195

Paul - how's your heart doing after that finish???

ncac_dad

UNBELIEVABLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Kenyon scores with 1 second left in double overtime.

WOW!!

Wabash plus the rain were giving Kenyon a run.  Wabash should be commended.

I just saw the last 90 seconds!

Clutch goal by Lowery! I think it was Lowery.

ncac_dad

Paul, I bet you had to put your heart back in your chest!

Clutch play by Kenyon!

PaulNewman

Quote from: ncac_dad on October 31, 2018, 05:02:58 PM
UNBELIEVABLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Kenyon scores with 1 second left in double overtime.

WOW!!

Wabash plus the rain were giving Kenyon a run.  Wabash should be commended.

I just saw the last 90 seconds!

Clutch goal by Lowery! I think it was Lowery.

Yup....senior McNeer to senior Lowry.  Very, very fortunate.  Extremely frustrating game for Kenyon and Wabash easily could have taken it with one slip here or there or in PKs.  109:59!!!

PaulNewman

Quote from: ncac_dad on October 31, 2018, 05:05:37 PM
Paul, I bet you had to put your heart back in your chest!

Clutch play by Kenyon!

That's why I have a Boston Scientific dual-chamber defibrillator/pacemaker inside my chest lol.

I'd hug you even if I hated you right now.

ncac_dad

I may need one tonight.

Next up OWU and Denison.

I have it on good authority that what happened last Saturday will not be happening again :)

Hopefully, I will see you on Saturday.

Again, congrats to Kenyon.

PaulNewman

https://twitter.com/i/web/status/1057761593377939462

Link to the final seconds...

Not the greatest goal ever by any means,  but  play back again to see the effort made by Lowry, a senior All American CB after playing the full 109 minutes making that run to get all the way to the back post and finish with less than 10 secs to PKs....there is a young man who wants to win.

Ejay

Quote from: PaulNewman on October 31, 2018, 06:52:05 PM
making that run to get all the way to the back post and finish with less than 10 secs to PKs....there is a young man who wants to win.

Let's not get carried away. Lowery made the initial cross from the back side 18, so he didn't have to run THAT FAR to get to the post.  Nonetheless, good for him and a great game-winning memory.

PaulNewman

Quote from: EB2319 on November 01, 2018, 07:44:18 AM
Quote from: PaulNewman on October 31, 2018, 06:52:05 PM
making that run to get all the way to the back post and finish with less than 10 secs to PKs....there is a young man who wants to win.

Let's not get carried away. Lowery made the initial cross from the back side 18, so he didn't have to run THAT FAR to get to the post.  Nonetheless, good for him and a great game-winning memory.

Let's compromise...the run wasn't that far but as a CB he put in the cross starting from close to the sideline and then about halfway between sideline and 18 with under 15 sec left...and then the left back jukes a guy and puts a low liner into the box from the left side with under 7 secs and Lowry has no reason to think that ball would get all the way thru and yet after making plays all over the field for 110 minutes is the player who gets to the spot to make the play...

Last points...

1) When McNeer the LB is making his juke to free himself Lowry isn't even in the video frame...

2) McNeer deserves credit for not skying a last shot 20 feet over the bar and just putting ball thru the box

3) The more I look at it the actual key to the play may have been the crafty little midfielder Penas getting a touch to create a little misdirection allowing ball to get thru to back post and Lowry...

Ejay

I'll take it one step further... I hold the guy marking Lowery as responsible (#7?).  I don't know that he ever got up off the ground after the initial cross.  At the very end of the play, there are only 10 defenders in/around the box, and #7 isn't one of them. Had he simply stay with Lowery this may never have happened.

But I agree 100% that McNeer's not skying it (as usually happens in these scenarios) deserves much credit (though I'm not sure it was totally intentional).

The more I watch this, the more I love it.

Domino1195

Capital canceled today - not sure about JCU. I'm at the beach but Ohio is more underwater than I am

Gregory Sager

Canceled? Nope. The d3soccer.com scoreboard says that the match is postponed until tomorrow, as do the Capital and Ohio Northern websites.
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell