Around the East board (ideas, comments, etc.)

Started by dewcrew88, September 16, 2009, 03:42:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dewcrew88

Quote from: Yanks 99 on October 29, 2009, 08:21:22 AM
Quote from: TGP on October 28, 2009, 10:53:50 PM
DC even getting posts out here in LA:

Quote from: D O.C. on October 28, 2009, 12:22:12 PM
OxyBob is not shouting in the wind, so it appears

Adam Samrov  Around the East

In the ATN Podcast, Pat and Keith talk about how Mount Union could still be imported to the East even if Alfred AND Albright finish undefeated. I know that the scheduling committee picks the top four teams, regardless of region, but if two actual East Region teams finish unbeaten and Mount Union still gets imported in, the whole Division III playoff setup is a farce. A complete farce. What do you think? Do you believe the setup is unfair? E-mail me at adam.samrov@d3football.com and put ATR as the subject line.

ATE is national, yo!

DewCrew better be careful...Pat hates it when people disagree with him!!!

Pat is getting upset!!!

I ain't scurred... haha... pat and I disagree on this point every time it comes up.

union89

Quote from: pumkinattack on October 29, 2009, 09:15:07 AM
I think in this conversation people have to separate the idea that a team from the east deserves a #1 seed on a national level (which we can't know without inter-regional games, but we all know, except RS, that there's no East team in the top 5-6 in the country) from the idea that this system masquerades as objective and pretends to take the responsibility away from the committee when in fact it's just as subjective as the old system.  Personally, with 32 teams being allowed in I think we should go back to a subjective committee based system.  If it's a regionally balanced selection committee, at 32 teams there's no way that a team who has any chance on winning the nat'l title will be excluded.  At 16, maybe the 17th best team won't win the title, but I'd believe that the 17th best team could influence the outcome (knock off a better team that might knock off a nat'l contender or have some other influence depending on pairings).  I think some people only hear the complaint about the East not getting a number #1 seed and it gives them cover to ignore the imperfections in the system, which given the financial constraints may always create a problem, but at least the NCAA should grow a sack, be transparent and open to criticism, or maybe more schools should follow the NESCAC route and/or drop major D1 FB/BB into a separate entity since that's all that drives the NCAA and it doesn't appear to represent the rest of the system very well.  I also blame school administrators for not taking a stand, but we all know 99% of them are gutless at the end of the day anyway. 

If the NCAA wants to seed the top 4 teams, then build brackets around them...FINE.  Not a bad idea, but put your parameters and ideas in writing so there is no grey area.

To the best of my knowledge, in the past few years, the NCAA has done the above.  Be open about your plan and no one would really have a problem.  To simply surprise fans randomly by building the brackets around the 4 seeds is the problem.

Regional rankings go by OWP & OOWP....kind of convoluted, but everyone understands the rules.  To have no rule or parameter that states the top 4 seeds are 1's, irritates people because of the lack of consistency.

theoriginalupstate

Quote from: Union89 on October 29, 2009, 04:00:01 PM

If the NCAA wants to seed the top 4 teams, then build brackets around them...FINE.  Not a bad idea, but put your parameters and ideas in writing so there is no grey area.

To the best of my knowledge, in the past few years, the NCAA has done the above.  Be open about your plan and no one would really have a problem.  To simply surprise fans randomly by building the brackets around the 4 seeds is the problem.

Regional rankings go by OWP & OOWP....kind of convoluted, but everyone understands the rules.  To have no rule or parameter that states the top 4 seeds are 1's, irritates people because of the lack of consistency.

Word!

I think this is all something we can DLIPing agree with!

bomber3

Cmon dew! No mention of cortaca in around the east this week?! I know there are no ncaa playoff implications at stake but its undoubtedly the biggest game in the east region each year - playoffs excluded. How bout a prediction on the board?

theoriginalupstate

Quote from: bomber3 on November 10, 2009, 05:46:33 PM
Cmon dew! No mention of cortaca in around the east this week?! I know there are no ncaa playoff implications at stake but its undoubtedly the biggest game in the east region each year - playoffs excluded. How bout a prediction on the board?

I wouldn't go as far as to say it's the biggest game of the year in the east region each year.  It's an absolutely great rivalry but that doesn't constitute it being the biggest game each year. 

dlippiel

Union/RPI may have something to say about that being the oldest rivalry in NYS. Cortica is huge and a great rivalry for sure. Yet this year, with both teams being down, as well as many other games with huge playoff implications, dlip can see how DC didn't hit it in his ATE. dlip is going for Ithaca in this match-up. Like he has said before he is a big Grastorf fan and would love to see the kid go out on top.

bomber3

Quote from: dlippiel on November 10, 2009, 06:31:14 PM

Union/RPI may have something to say about that being the oldest rivalry in NYS. Cortica is huge and a great rivalry for sure. Yet this year, with both teams being down, as well as many other games with huge playoff implications, dlip can see how DC didn't hit it in his ATE. dlip is going for Ithaca in this match-up. Like he has said before he is a big Grastorf fan and would love to see the kid go out on top.

I never said anything about oldest.  For comparison's sake the Union/RPI game this year had an attendance of 3239.  Cortaca will draw close to 4x that.  Show me another game in the east that draws half of what cortaca game.  It might not be the most important game playoff wise but in terms of attendance and impact on the schools its close to being the biggest game in the region each year.

theoriginalupstate

Quote from: bomber3 on November 10, 2009, 06:53:53 PM

I never said anything about oldest.  For comparison's sake the Union/RPI game this year had an attendance of 3239.  Cortaca will draw close to 4x that.  Show me another game in the east that draws half of what cortaca game.  It might not be the most important game playoff wise but in terms of attendance and impact on the schools its close to being the biggest game in the region each year.

UR/SJF draws a pretty big crowd year after year (5,000+)...

Heck AU/SJF drew close to 5,000 this season...

If SJF/UR had a bigger venue (Paetec Park perhaps) it could get well above 6/7 K...

pg04

I would agree that it not being mentioned is a big oversight... even with no playoff implication.  But I don't want to start one of these arguments again...  ;)

union89

Last year Cortica was huge....this year....not so much.

pg04

What does the Williams-Amherst game pull every year? 

SJFF82

Quote from: Upstate on November 10, 2009, 07:24:58 PM

I never said anything about oldest.  For comparison's sake the Union/RPI game this year had an attendance of 3239.  Cortaca will draw close to 4x that.  Show me another game in the east that draws half of what cortaca game.  It might not be the most important game playoff wise but in terms of attendance and impact on the schools its close to being the biggest game in the region each year.

UR/SJF draws a pretty big crowd year after year (5,000+)...

Heck AU/SJF drew close to 5,000 this season...

If SJF/UR had a bigger venue (Paetec Park perhaps) it could get well above 6/7 K...

****...if IC could stay within 4td's of Fisher, that game would draw close to 5000 every year... :o

zing

SJFF82

I never said anything about oldest.  For comparison's sake the Union/RPI game this year had an attendance of 3239.  Cortaca will draw close to 4x that.  Show me another game in the east that draws half of what cortaca game.  It might not be the most important game playoff wise but in terms of attendance and impact on the schools its close to being the biggest game in the region each year.

true...but he did.  It is the oldest, that's all he was saying.

Doid23

Quote from: dewcrew88 on October 29, 2009, 01:48:40 PM
Quote from: Yanks 99 on October 29, 2009, 08:21:22 AM
Quote from: TGP on October 28, 2009, 10:53:50 PM
DC even getting posts out here in LA:

Quote from: D O.C. on October 28, 2009, 12:22:12 PM
OxyBob is not shouting in the wind, so it appears

Adam Samrov  Around the East

In the ATN Podcast, Pat and Keith talk about how Mount Union could still be imported to the East even if Alfred AND Albright finish undefeated. I know that the scheduling committee picks the top four teams, regardless of region, but if two actual East Region teams finish unbeaten and Mount Union still gets imported in, the whole Division III playoff setup is a farce. A complete farce. What do you think? Do you believe the setup is unfair? E-mail me at adam.samrov@d3football.com and put ATR as the subject line.

ATE is national, yo!

DewCrew better be careful...Pat hates it when people disagree with him!!!

Pat is getting upset!!!

I ain't scurred... haha... pat and I disagree on this point every time it comes up.

Keep fighting the good fight DC...

dewcrew88

Sorry about the whiff on Cortaca. I didn't put a lot in the Shoes game this year either. More important games.