BB: CCIW: College Conference of Illinois and Wisconsin

Started by RedmenFB44, January 05, 2006, 12:14:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jester13

I have been following the CCIW all year aned the stats for Nathan those must be team stats correct?

mwunder

Quote from: jester13 on May 16, 2011, 10:17:31 PM
I have been following the CCIW all year aned the stats for Nathan those must be team stats correct?

Not sure exactly what you're saying here...but this is taken directly from the IWU stats page...

"SBA/ATT - Nathan, AJ (32-52), McCullough (8-11), Pankau (5-8), Sweeney, J. (6-7), Johnson, J. (4-7), Kopp, A. (2-5), Sullivan, K. (2-4), Kerber, P. (1-3), Hayn, P. (1-3), Frueh, J. (2-2), Hamm, R. (0-1), Mehn, N. (1-1), Scott, T. (1-1), Szykowny, Z. (1-1)"

Looks like he threw out 20 of 52 if I'm reading that correctly.

jester13

I just didn't know if those rankings were in the CCIW or on his team. Thats all.

mwunder

Quote from: jester13 on May 17, 2011, 12:44:33 PM
I just didn't know if those rankings were in the CCIW or on his team. Thats all.

I still have no idea what you're asking.  Those aren't rankings at all.

BigPoppa

Quote from: mwunder on May 17, 2011, 01:18:30 PM
Quote from: jester13 on May 17, 2011, 12:44:33 PM

I still have no idea what you're asking.  Those aren't rankings at all.

Give him a break... not everyone had high enough test scores to attend Carthage like we did ;D
Baseball is not a game that builds character, it is a game that reveals it.

CCIWFAN6

Quote from: mwunder on May 16, 2011, 05:03:08 PM
Quote from: mwunder on April 14, 2011, 01:43:38 PM
Quote from: BBFan62 on April 14, 2011, 01:13:24 PM
mwunder,
I didn't see your update for AJ Nathan, catcher at IWU. AJ has now thrown out 30.5% of the runners. If you look at his offsive stats, he is in the top 5 of almost every category, certainly all the good ones. 5th in BA, 2nd in RBI's, 3rd in OB%, T3 in hits, etc.

As I stated, he makes a great team even greater.

Patience, sir, he's just getting warmed up. Buy a ticket to get on board his train!

Guilty as charged of not putting up an update on the young catcher's % of runner's thrown out.

Just crossing the "t's" and dotting the "i's"...AJ threw out 20 of 52 on the season for a 38.5% season total. 

Other CCIW catchers
Soderlund threw out 37%
Deutscher threw out 32%
Corrigan threw out 21%

I had a chance to see about 8 IWU games this year and came away impressed by Nathan's defensive ability.  That being said, the kid does not have a 1.8 pop time.

rob

20 cs out of 52 attempts is correct and is good

ILLhoops1

I have also been pleased with AJ this year. I think it is fair to say that Pudge would throw out 100% of DIII runners. Remember, Pudge also throws 95+ to second. If AJ could throw that hard, we would have him on the mound. It is unfair to AJ to compare him to any catcher in MLB.

BigPoppa

Quote from: ILLhoops1 on May 17, 2011, 02:36:59 PM
I have also been pleased with AJ this year. I think it is fair to say that Pudge would throw out 100% of DIII runners. Remember, Pudge also throws 95+ to second. If AJ could throw that hard, we would have him on the mound. It is unfair to AJ to compare him to any catcher in MLB.

Then don't give him an fictitious MLB caliber POP time of 1.8 ;D
Baseball is not a game that builds character, it is a game that reveals it.

ILLhoops1

That post was written many weeks ago. Certainly, we would mostly agree 1.80 POP was a slight exaggeration. But it is fair to say that he has done an outstanding job this year. As a Titan fan, I am glad we have him. BTW, there are many MLB catchers that only wished their POP time was 1.80.  A 2.0 is pretty good.

mwunder

Quote from: ILLhoops1 on May 17, 2011, 02:52:08 PM
That post was written many weeks ago. Certainly, we would mostly agree 1.80 POP was a slight exaggeration. But it is fair to say that he has done an outstanding job this year. As a Titan fan, I am glad we have him. BTW, there are many MLB catchers that only wished their POP time was 1.80.  A 2.0 is pretty good.

My post was in now way, shape, or form, intended to negate the claim of a 1.8 pop time.  As I stated in the post, I was just doing due diligence and posting AJ's final numbers (which are impressive) compared to other top catchers in the CCIW.  I have no idea why people ran soooo much more on IWU than on Carthage (52 attempts on Nathan vs 19 on Soderlund), nor do I claim that AJ didn't help the Greenie Weenies in many ways besides his arm.  I was showing that he did a great job behind the plate throwing out runners.  Almost 40% at that level is a pretty decent clip!

CCIWFAN6

Quote from: ILLhoops1 on May 17, 2011, 02:52:08 PM

ILLhoops1, I think everyone who commented on this issue is agreeing with your point that Nathan has done a great job this year.  I was not trying to short the young man at all.  As a Titan fan as well, it scares me to think what would have happened if he had not made the decision to come to Bloomington.  From talking with the coaches, the alternative would not have been a desirable one.  I was simply reiterating a point that his pop time was not 1.8. (Probably overkill at this point)

youcantseemestill

Quote from: ILLhoops1 on May 17, 2011, 02:36:59 PM
I think it is fair to say that Pudge would throw out 100% of DIII runners. Remember, Pudge also throws 95+ to second.

This is extreme hyperbole.  Even major league catchers struggle to get into the 1.90 and below pop time range.  You steal on pitchers just as much, if not more, than catchers.  But even then, Pudge is not going to throw out everyone that runs on him in DIII.  There are a lot of kids out there that are running sub 4.6 forty meter times.  Those kids can run on anyone, at any level, if they are good base runners.

My guess is that IWU gets stolen bases attempted on them more is because their pitchers don't pay a ton of attention to the running game knowing that they have a good kid behind the plate to back them up.  

RedmanFan35

Anyone have any Idea on what basis D3.com would pick Thomas More to come out of the central region ?Is it just the 351 batting average? After looking at their, team page, I'm positve it's not SOS.

mwunder

Quote from: RedmanFan35 on May 17, 2011, 08:24:12 PM
Anyone have any Idea on what basis D3.com would pick Thomas More to come out of the central region ?Is it just the 351 batting average? After looking at their, team page, I'm positve it's not SOS.

For the real inside scoop, ask BigPoppa!

To paraphrase though, I think he's saying that after game 2 or 3, you have to score a bunch of runs to win since the pitching is so thin...and TM can score them some runs.  I will agree with you on SOS though.  They didn't play a ranked team all season long.  We'll see how real they are in the first game.