MBB: Southern California Intercollegiate Athletic Conference

Started by Oxy'03SalemPavers, March 10, 2005, 12:17:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stag44

With 4-5 games left in conference for all the teams there are probably 3-4 key things I'm looking for as we head into the playoffs

1) Oxy vs CMS (Round 2) - This will likely decide the regular season conference champion and who gets home court through the SCIAC playoff. Oxy is playing well and is always tough at home. CMS really seems to be hitting their stride right now; the offense is humming and their defensive performance against both Oxy and PP was reminiscent of the old school Stag D. Regardless, these 2 have clearly showed they are the top 2 teams in conference this year and it would not surprise me if there was a round 3 with a bid on the line.

2) What are the SCIAC semi matchups? Oxy are CMS are locks and virtual locks for 1 and 2. Pomona and Chapman control their own destiny into the tournament. Whittier is in 5th and has an outside chance to make it.  Both potential semi-final matchups would be awesome and compelling. If the top 4 hold, any one of them could put together a strong weekend and win the bid.

3) Will ULV get a win? There is a SCIAC team who is winless into February - this used to be a pretty common occurrence, but the team in question is different this year - La Verne is unfortunately winless but has 4 more changes to put a win on the board. Their best chance likely comes next Saturday when they host Caltech. I know La Verne had to reload this year after losing alot of their firepower, but this was very unexpected. 

4) Where does the SCIAC champ get sent? As discussed above, the destination is likely Washington or Texas. 5 years ago they were sent out to Wisconsin, which is a potential option, but who knows. In any case, this year whoever represents the SCIAC will likely be the 4 seed in a pod and have an uphill battle to make it out of the first weekend.

Gray Fox

Fierce When Roused

OxyBob

Quote from: stag44 on February 08, 2018, 05:48:14 PM
1) Oxy vs CMS (Round 2) - This will likely decide the regular season conference champion and who gets home court through the SCIAC playoff.

Oxy better not look past Whittier. Oxy played a poor game at home against La Verne and almost lost. Whittier's a better team and really needs a win.

Whittier is in 5th and has an outside chance to make it.

See above.

3) Will ULV get a win?

Nightmare season for Rich Reed. Brutal.

4) Where does the SCIAC champ get sent?

Washington.

Quote from: Gray Fox on February 08, 2018, 08:16:46 PM
Oxy was once sent to Mississippi College.

Sore subject.

OxyBob

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

SCIAC team could go absolutely anywhere. A lot will depend on how many Texas teams (or if there is a team close enough to Texas) and even how the NWC works out. SCIAC could be an easy filler for the committee, though not going too far east - I don't think they would send them all the way to the coast... but St. John's may need help filling a pod easily without it being too brutal. Another team in the Central or South may need a solution as well.
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

Gray Fox

Fierce When Roused

OxyBob

Quote from: OxyBob on February 08, 2018, 08:59:23 PM
1) Oxy vs CMS (Round 2) - This will likely decide the regular season conference champion and who gets home court through the SCIAC playoff.

Oxy better not look past Whittier. Oxy played a poor game at home against La Verne and almost lost. Whittier's a better team and really needs a win.

Oxy couldn't get it done at home against Whittier, losing 74-73. The Tigers had a 73-69 lead with 30 seconds left. An Oxy turnover gave the Poets a last chance, and Louis Kurihara converted a 3-point play with 2 seconds to go to give Whittier the win.

Oxy now faces Claremont (tonight) and Chapman (Wednesday) at home, followed by Pomona (Saturday) on the road.

Conference standings:

Claremont 11-1, Oxy 10-2, Chapman 10-4, Pomona 9-4, Whittier 8-6, Cal Lutheran 4-9, Redlands 4-10, Caltech 3-10, La Verne 0-13

OxyBob

CMSfan

Nice win for the Stags on the road at Oxy tonight. Glad to see they have moved past the early season struggles and seem to be clicking now. They'll be a tough draw in the tournament (if they can get the AQ, of course).

Gosox

Does it really matter who gets in from the SCIAC? It seems whoever it is...goes, loses and comes back pretty quick...guess at least the Seniors get to make a trip.....

stag44

Quote from: Gosox on February 13, 2018, 02:15:33 PM
Does it really matter who gets in from the SCIAC? It seems whoever it is...goes, loses and comes back pretty quick...guess at least the Seniors get to make a trip.....

I would say that the SCIAC has started to show up a bit better in the NCAAs now - granted outside of Oxy, no team in recent memory has made it out of the 1st weekend, but the last 2 CMS visits they made it to the 2nd round. In both situations they played the host team in the round of 32 and were extremely competitive in both games. Against ETBU in 2015, they were up for a majority of the first half and played them tough until the last minute. Against Whitman, who was undefeated and lost in the national championship, it was a similar outcome with the game being pretty close.

In 2015 in the 1st round CMS beat TLU by over 20pts and last year CMS beat Whitworth (who was highly ranked) in the 1st round. I think the top SCIAC teams are starting to play better in the tournament and hopefully one can make a run into the 2nd weekend soon!

Aside from that, the opportunity to play in the tournament for the students is incredible. I was lucky enough to play in 2 games and the atmosphere was electric and its an incredible memory, even though they both ended in losses.

CMS is knocking on the door and continues to play better in the tournament and I know the administration is fully behind them in building a nationally competitive program. I think paradigm has shifted from from winning the conference being a successful outcome (which it still is) to winning NCAA games and scheduling in a way that prepares the team for Feb / March.

I know that history is not on my side, but it's a matter of time before one of the SCIAC teams breaks through again. 

Pat Coleman

Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

OxyBob

Quote from: CMSfan on February 13, 2018, 01:02:31 AM
Nice win for the Stags on the road at Oxy tonight.

Claremont 68 Oxy 62

Oxy only led one time in the game at 18-17. Otherwise CMS was in control.

Oxy started the conference season 9-0 but the Tigers are 1-3 since including two straight home losses.

Claremont is a lock for the No. 1 seed in the 4-team conference tournament. Right now it looks like Claremont, Oxy, Chapman and Pomona will make the conference tournament, the seeding yet to be decided.

Whittier is in 5th place and has a must-win game against Claremont to stay in the race for a spot in the conference tournament. The Poets have to keep winning and hope Pomona stumbles. Unfortunately for Whittier, Pomona is at home against winless La Verne, so bets are the Sagehens won't stumble tonight.

Tonight's schedule, all games 7:00 p.m.

Caltech (5-17, 3-10 SCIAC) @ Cal Lutheran (7-14, 4-9)
Chapman (17-6, 10-4) @ Oxy (17-5, 10-3)
La Verne (0-22, 0-13) @ Pomona (11-11, 9-4)
Claremont (14-7, 12-1) @ Whittier (10-13, 8-6)

Redlands (6-17, 4-10) is idle.

OxyBob

OxyBob

Wednesday night's scores:

Cal Lutheran 85 Caltech 81
Oxy 62 Chapman 45
Pomona 90 La Verne 46
Claremont 85 Whittier 65

Claremont clinched the No. 1 seed in the 4-team SCIAC tournament. Oxy, Pomona and Chapman will sort out the other 3 seeds. With its loss to CMS, Whittier was eliminated from the conference tournament.   

Saturday's schedule:

Caltech (5-18, 3-11 SCIAC) @ La Verne (0-23, 0-14) 2:00 PM    
Chapman (17-7, 10-5) @ Claremont (15-7, 13-1) 5:00 PM
Cal Lutheran (8-14, 5-9) @ Redlands (6-17, 4-10) 5:00 PM    
Oxy (18-5, 11-3) @ Pomona (12-11, 10-4) 5:00 PM

Whittier (10-14, 8-7) is idle.

OxyBob

OxyBob

Saturday's scores

La Verne 96 Caltech 86 OT
Claremont 72 Chapman 63
Redlands 72 Cal Lutheran 65
Pomona 61, Oxy 47

Nice job by La Verne to beat Caltech in overtime and avoid a winless season.

Chapman (10-6 SCIAC) lost to Claremont (14-1), so Chapman will be the No. 4 seed in the SCIAC tournament and face No. 1 seed Claremont in one semifinal. Oxy and Pomona will be the No. 2 and No. 3 seeds and play each other in the other semifinal, order of seeding to be determined on Wednesday. Oxy and Pomona are both 11-4 and split their two games against each other. Oxy finishes conference play at home against Redlands, while Pomona is at Whittier. If Oxy and Pomona end up tied in the conference then by my reckoning Oxy has the tiebreaker with Pomona because the Tigers beat Chapman twice while the Sagehens split their two games with the Panthers.

Wednesday's Tuesday's schedule, all games 7:00 p.m.

La Verne (1-23, 1-14 SCIAC) @ Cal Lutheran (8-15, 5-10)
Redlands (7-17, 5-10) @ Oxy (18-6, 11-4)
Pomona (13-11, 11-4) @ Whittier (10-14, 8-7)
Claremont (16-7, 14-1) @ Caltech (5-19, 3-12)

Chapman (17-8, 10-6) will play at Claremont in the SCIAC tournament semifinals on Friday.

OxyBob

D O.C.