MBB: Coast 2 Coast Athletic Conference

Started by Mr. Ypsi, March 27, 2005, 10:16:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jmcozenlaw

Quote from: CNU85 on November 22, 2019, 02:42:56 PM
A quiet board...especially now that there are much fewer teams in CAC.

Just wait until York leaves. Yikes!!!

CNU85

Well the good news is the weather is calling for rain in NN Saturday evening and Sunday. So......no yard work. I guess I will go to CNU and watch 4 hoops games and see some teams I have never seen before.

Bad news is....it is fall break. No pep band. Few students. The atmosphere will be ok, but not great.

Also - checking weather for teams coming into town. So far not looking too bad.

CCHoopster

Is there anyone hearing or has more on the rumors about Wesley closing? That their staying open is solely dependent on full state funding? Their argument being students are from and remain in DE. Wesley is down 372 students over the past 5 years per Delaware Business Times. Friends daughter is an adjunct there. She mentioned of hearing rumors of absorption by Delaware or Del State.

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

Quote from: CCHoopster on December 11, 2019, 02:15:53 PM
Is there anyone hearing or has more on the rumors about Wesley closing? That their staying open is solely dependent on full state funding? Their argument being students are from and remain in DE. Wesley is down 372 students over the past 5 years per Delaware Business Times. Friends daughter is an adjunct there. She mentioned of hearing rumors of absorption by Delaware or Del State.

I live in Delaware.  Wesley's already re-appropriated (with permission) a little more than a million dollars in state funds earmarked for a historic library the school took over recently.  They just asked for about $3m more in public funds.  The State's most vocal Republican lawmaker is an alum, so its unlikely to become a partisan political issue unless the Dems (the party in full control of state gov't) decide to make it one.

It's hard to know much, because we don't really have any local media.

Personally, I find it hard to imagine they can recover.  Wesley essentially serves a very similar population to Del State and it's two miles down the road.  Del State has been massively improving in recent years and it would make a lot of sense for them to absorb Wesley.

What we have learned from the recent closures in New England is that it typically happens very fast.  In Wesley's case, something major is going to have to happen in the next six months - either the State agrees to prop them up (highly doubtful in an election year) or there's a merger.

I have no real idea what way it will go.  As a taxpayer, though, I'd prefer the latter.
Lead Columnist for D3hoops.com
@ryanalanscott just about anywhere

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

If anyone didn't see the news: https://www.d3sports.com/notables/2019/12/southern-virginia-on-move

And as early as Thursday morning the conference will be down to three for the 2021-22 season.
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

Swish3

DCAbloob

jmcozenlaw

Quote from: Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan) on December 11, 2019, 04:51:26 PM
Quote from: CCHoopster on December 11, 2019, 02:15:53 PM

I live in Delaware.  Wesley's already re-appropriated (with permission) a little more than a million dollars in state funds earmarked for a historic library the school took over recently.  They just asked for about $3m more in public funds.  The State's most vocal Republican lawmaker is an alum, so its unlikely to become a partisan political issue unless the Dems (the party in full control of state gov't) decide to make it one.

It's hard to know much, because we don't really have any local media.

Personally, I find it hard to imagine they can recover.  Wesley essentially serves a very similar population to Del State and it's two miles down the road.  Del State has been massively improving in recent years and it would make a lot of sense for them to absorb Wesley.

What we have learned from the recent closures in New England is that it typically happens very fast.  In Wesley's case, something major is going to have to happen in the next six months - either the State agrees to prop them up (highly doubtful in an election year) or there's a merger.

I have no real idea what way it will go.  As a taxpayer, though, I'd prefer the latter.

Ryan, I can't give away a source here (a very senior exec with Delaware based Bank of America let's just say) but Wesley is on life support. I don't know the "when", but wherever you are getting your information about DSU absorbing Wesley is VERY spot on. These talks have been taking place and it could happen sooner vs. later. Getting yet more funding from the state has been called, "putting a band aid on someone about to lose a limb" (think Monty Python). I'm not sure if there are a few well heeled alums who feel compelled to write big checks, but a buddy of mine said that they have gone down that path and one or two of those people think that would be throwing good money after bad. I don't know how it ends up...........but personally think Wesley shuts it's doors in the not too distant future.

jmcozenlaw

Quote from: Dave 'd-mac' McHugh on December 11, 2019, 11:11:30 PM
If anyone didn't see the news: https://www.d3sports.com/notables/2019/12/southern-virginia-on-move

And as early as Thursday morning the conference will be down to three for the 2021-22 season.

This and St. Mary's to the NEAC (the NEAC???????) has conference roulette spinning yet again. If Wesley does in fact shut it's doors, I wonder what the NJAC does in football and what the new Atlantic east does for all other sports. Mark my words.......the MAC will play some part in this. What part? Ken has never said but there are a few rumors flying around (a possible Stevenson departure?) as the roulette wheel will continue to spin round and round and round....................

jmcozenlaw

Sheesh, I did not realize just how far south St. Mary's was in Maryland.........kind of in the middle of nowhere. I have a buddy who works for the Southern Maryland Bluecrabs.........and he kind of says the same thing about Waldorf (sp?). The NEAC is now composed of one division with 6 Upstate NY schools and one division with 5 PA and 1 D.C. schools. Unless the NEAC knows about a coming departure in the southern division or a 7th NY school being added to the northern division, I don't know how this news excites the conference (and existing 12 schools).

How far is the drive from St. Mary's to the Abington, Lancaster, Reading, Williamsport, PA areas? It doesn't look like a lot of fun for the mid-week games. Also, they will play four of the six NY schools each season. THAT is a hike!! Given their location, was this really their only option?

Can't the MD D-III schools form a "mini-MAC" (all PA schools except for FDU and Stevenson) made up of MD schools? Dave, how many D-III schools are located in MD ?If Wesley shuts it down (as a school), Salisbury is probably looking for a new football home...............and then the NJAC probably implodes (football.......as I have no idea who they bring in since FDU won't happen).

As more small schools close their doors (and others look to reduce expenses, especially athletic), I guess this conference roulette wheel will be with us forever.

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Quote from: jmcozenlaw on December 12, 2019, 02:36:47 PM
Sheesh, I did not realize just how far south St. Mary's was in Maryland.........kind of in the middle of nowhere. I have a buddy who works for the Southern Maryland Bluecrabs.........and he kind of says the same thing about Waldorf (sp?). The NEAC is now composed of one division with 6 Upstate NY schools and one division with 5 PA and 1 D.C. schools. Unless the NEAC knows about a coming departure in the southern division or a 7th NY school being added to the northern division, I don't know how this news excites the conference (and existing 12 schools).

How far is the drive from St. Mary's to the Abington, Lancaster, Reading, Williamsport, PA areas? It doesn't look like a lot of fun for the mid-week games. Also, they will play four of the six NY schools each season. THAT is a hike!! Given their location, was this really their only option?

Can't the MD D-III schools form a "mini-MAC" (all PA schools except for FDU and Stevenson) made up of MD schools? Dave, how many D-III schools are located in MD ?If Wesley shuts it down (as a school), Salisbury is probably looking for a new football home...............and then the NJAC probably implodes (football.......as I have no idea who they bring in since FDU won't happen).

As more small schools close their doors (and others look to reduce expenses, especially athletic), I guess this conference roulette wheel will be with us forever.

The NEAC will lose three of those NY schools next season to two different conferences ... and they will probably lose a Mid-Atlantic one to another conference soon as well.

BTW the NJAC is a 8-team conference. They can actually afford to lose Wesley in the current rules and be fine.
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

The basketball season now finds itself square in the middle of not only the holidays, but also finals. Teams are taking breaks to focus on academics and either not playing until the new year or finding openings to fit in games here and there.

And while the tempo of games subsides a bit, there is still plenty of news swirling around Division III. Tune in as Dave and guests tackle all of the news this week in what should be a jam-packed Hoopsville on Thursday night.

Topics will include the latest news of two Capital Athletic Conference members announcing they are leaving for other conference homes. What is next for the CAC which will be down to just three members by 2021-22 season. The rumors about St. Thomas's future continue to swirl, we at least try and put some of those rumors to rest. And a MIAC president finally speaks out about the decision to push UST out the door. Maybe he should have not said anything.

Plus, there is a new number one team in women's basketball, a team that nearly completed an undefeated season has reemerged, another former champion is showing they may be back in the hunt, and a program we haven't talked about in a long time has made it known they are ready for the season.

Hoopsville is presented by D3hoops.com and airs from the WBCA/NABC Studio. You can watch Thursday's show LIVE with the following options:
- Main page: www.d3hoops.com/hoopsville
- Show page: http://bit.ly/2rFn0MF (or www.d3hoops.com/hoopsville/archives/2019-20/dec12)
- Facebook Live Simulcast: www.facebook.com/Hoopsville
- YouTube Simulcast: www.youtube.com/d3hoopsville
- Team1 Sports: www.team1sports.com/Hoopsville/
- Team1 Sports app (Android TV, Amazon Fire, Apple TV, Roku) - you will either find it under the "live" section or search for the Hoopsville channel

If you have questions about Division III basketball, feel free to send them and we will answer them on a the show. Email them to hoopsville@d3hoops.com or use any of the social media options to the right.

Guests Schedule (order subject to change):
- Doreen Carden, Albion women's coach
- Jill Pace, No. 1 Tufts women's coach
- Stephen Brennan, No. 14 Babson men's coach
- Keith Bunkenburg, No. 24 Benedictine coach

If you enjoy the show via the podcasts, choose your favorite avenue to listen and/or subscribe via the the following four avenues (click on the images when necessary):
SoundCloud: www.soundcloud.com/hoopsville

https://www.iheart.com/podcast/256-hoopsville-30984615/

We also have the podcast now on iHeartRadio, Tune-In and others coming. We will update them once we have better abilities to do so.

Don't forget you can always interact with us:
Twitter: @d3hoopsville or #Hoopsville
Facebook: www.facebook.com/Hoopsville
Email: hoopsville@d3hoops.com
YouTube: www.youtube.com/d3hoopsville

ronk

Dave McHugh's rec to maintain the CAC conference and go for the pool B instead of the lost Pool A makes sense to me. This season, for example, CNU will have played 15 games thru the 1st weekend of January when conference play eliminates opponent possibilities for nonconference games with the remaining CAC teams. From that point on, the CAC teams will have to find their opponents for the final 10 games from teams with an odd # in their conference, hence a bye, or the independents and fill in the gaps with their own weekend CAC 3-team games with as many of those in the 6 remaining weekends to fill out the 25 game schedule. CNU actually played 2 exhibition games this season that could have been used as part of the 25 game schedule, instead(in the future schedules, after the CAC defections take effect).   

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

The real question is whether there will be enough teams to have a Pool B bid once the AEC gets their AQ.
Lead Columnist for D3hoops.com
@ryanalanscott just about anywhere

ronk

True about Pool B possibly evaporating in that scenario, but relatively minor in the context of completing a schedule, minimizing travel/missed classes, etc. They'd have to satisfied with the Pool C quest, instead.