FB: Old Dominion Athletic Conference

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 05:13:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hasanova

Quote from: Jeremybozz on May 27, 2019, 01:06:44 AM
Congrats to Bridgewater CB Davonta Womack for the 100 Meters Division 3 National Championship. New ODAC record 10.2 seconds.
Nice.  My congratulations as well.

Birddawg79

Virginia Beach Neptune Bowl

https://odac.prestosports.com/sports/fball/2019-20/releases/20190705h77m93?fbclid=IwAR34ngN28LgspMbg-nVFMcFk4yuKnsZlMdcPS0ESqHfFacGoKurRUqogEI8

VIRGINIA BEACH, Va. --- The Virginia Beach Sportsplex, in conjunction with the Old Dominion Athletic Conference (ODAC) and The Apprentice School, announced the first-ever Virginia Beach Neptune Bowl on Monday. The Apprentice School Builders will host a highly-ranked ODAC team in the inaugural contest. The game will be played on Saturday, November 23, with kickoff set for 2:00PM.

"The Virginia Beach Neptune Bowl was created and is intended to promote the continued importance of Division III football as an opportunity for the student athletes to keep playing, while receiving an education and job training for their lives after school and football," said Chuck Thornton, co-founder of Hometown Sports Management, the company promoting the game. "Along with the teams, the ODAC and their schools, it will also showcase the City of Virginia Beach and the state of Virginia as a year-round, first-class sports destination for an array of sports."

ODAC Commissioner Brad Bankston expressed the following, "We are honored to partner with Virginia Beach and Newport News Apprentice in this unique football bowl game. We believe the postseason experience for our student athletes is an important part of their college experience and the coaches have been very supportive of establishing an additional opportunity for our member institutions. We are extremely grateful to the City of Virginia Beach, the Neptune Bowl and the Apprentice School for their work in planning this exciting opportunity and we look forward to showcasing the best of small college football in the nationally recognized 757 window."

Apprentice Director of Athletics, Michael W. Allen states, "We are excited to enter into this new partnership with the prestigious Old Dominion Athletic Conference and the City of Virginia Beach. As participants in the inaugural Neptune Bowl, it helps us accomplish two things. One, it will provide a postseason opportunity for our apprentice-athletes that they traditionally have not had. Secondly, it allows us to continue to promote who The Apprentice School is and what opportunities we have to offer. There is no doubt that the Neptune Bowl allows us to accomplish both of our goals."

"I second Commissioner Brad Bankston's thoughts on expanding postseason opportunities for our student athletes," noted Mike Clark, head coach at Bridgewater College and chair of the ODAC's football coaches committee. Clark is also the longest tenured head coach in Virginia, entering his 25th season as the Eagles' mentor. "There is a great world of college football that is not on ESPN and we look forward to bringing it to this event."

It was also announced that the DoubleTree by Hilton-Virginia Beach (ODAC) and the Wyndham Virginia Beach Oceanfront (TAS), both Harmony Hospitality properties, will serve as official Host Hotel partners of the Virginia Beach Neptune Bowl. Each hotel will provide a block of rooms at competitive rates for any out-of-town guests travelling and staying in Virginia Beach for the Neptune Bowl.

General Admission tickets for the first annual Virginia Beach Neptune Bowl will go on sale on Monday, July 8. Club Suites, Tailgate and Group tickets for groups of 20 or more will also be available for the game. For information on tickets, corporate packages, branding and activation opportunities, contact Dennis McEwen at dennisq@beachsportsplex.com or 757-427-2990.

jknezek

Ummm.... bleh. Most years NNA can barely hang with the bottom of the ODAC. This seems awkward.

Air Raid

Quote from: jknezek on July 05, 2019, 10:48:37 PM
Ummm.... bleh. Most years NNA can barely hang with the bottom of the ODAC. This seems awkward.

Historically, I agree with you.  However, Coach Davis (former Gallaudet Assistant HC) and his staff (including Elton Brown former UVA offensive lineman) have done an excellent job of turning the trade school program around. I see it more as a great recruiting tool and way to increase tourism in late November I'm assuming it will be the highest ODAC team that doesn't make the D3 playoff bracket.   It gives the kids an extra game which is always a good thing

Birddawg79

Hopefully the Neptune Bowl committee and Hometown Sports Management have budgeted a generous player package to treat whomever 1st class. Throwing a tshirt at them and the promise of 1 more game wont build any excitement for future participants.

HSCTiger fan

Quote from: Air Raid on July 07, 2019, 09:28:51 AM

Historically, I agree with you.  However, Coach Davis (former Gallaudet Assistant HC) and his staff (including Elton Brown former UVA offensive lineman) have done an excellent job of turning the trade school program around. I see it more as a great recruiting tool and way to increase tourism in late November I'm assuming it will be the highest ODAC team that doesn't make the D3 playoff bracket.   It gives the kids an extra game which is always a good thing

If Davis turns them into a regular winner he probably won't last long at NNA. I don't mind the extra game but why NNA?  Seems to me any number of conferences might have an interest in playing a bowl game arrangement with the ODAC in VA Beach.
Hampden Sydney College
ODAC Champions 77, 82, 83, 87, 07, 09, 11, 13, 14
NCAA Playoffs - 77, 07, 09, 10, 11, 13, 14
The "Game" 60 wins and counting...
11/18/2018 Wally referred to me as Chief and admitted "I don't know about that!"

jknezek

Quote from: HSCTiger fan on July 08, 2019, 01:25:36 AM
Quote from: Air Raid on July 07, 2019, 09:28:51 AM

If Davis turns them into a regular winner he probably won't last long at NNA. I don't mind the extra game but why NNA?  Seems to me any number of conferences might have an interest in playing a bowl game arrangement with the ODAC in VA Beach.

I'm guessing this is a cost thing. With other conferences doing it, the ODAC needed something for recruiting but no one wanted to pay for a Huntingdon type match up or a trip to the north east or midwest. NNA/Virginia Beach is in the footprint. They are generally hungry for opponents, and there was a sponsor in the beach town. This has all the hallmarks of a bad compromise done reluctantly.

tigerFanAlso2

might draw a crowd of 250 spectators. this makes no sense. if your team is not going to playoffs, time for body to heal and to get ready for final papers/exams.
I would hope this goes away sooner than later.

jknezek

Quote from: tigerFanAlso2 on July 08, 2019, 10:05:00 AM
might draw a crowd of 250 spectators. this makes no sense. if your team is not going to playoffs, time for body to heal and to get ready for final papers/exams.

I don't mind the idea. It seems to be working ok for the CC/MAC. But I think a D3 match up between competing conferences would be more interesting to the players and parents for one more go around than this nothing game. No offense to NNA, but there is no bragging rights at stake here. No grudge match. It's not even a 4 year school vs a 4 year school. It's just a convenience thing that I think will fall flat for just about everyone.

MRMIKESMITH

Quote from: Birddawg79 on July 05, 2019, 10:24:12 PM
Virginia Beach Neptune Bowl

https://odac.prestosports.com/sports/fball/2019-20/releases/20190705h77m93?fbclid=IwAR34ngN28LgspMbg-nVFMcFk4yuKnsZlMdcPS0ESqHfFacGoKurRUqogEI8

VIRGINIA BEACH, Va. --- The Virginia Beach Sportsplex, in conjunction with the Old Dominion Athletic Conference (ODAC) and The Apprentice School, announced the first-ever Virginia Beach Neptune Bowl on Monday. The Apprentice School Builders will host a highly-ranked ODAC team in the inaugural contest. The game will be played on Saturday, November 23, with kickoff set for 2:00PM.

"The Virginia Beach Neptune Bowl was created and is intended to promote the continued importance of Division III football as an opportunity for the student athletes to keep playing, while receiving an education and job training for their lives after school and football," said Chuck Thornton, co-founder of Hometown Sports Management, the company promoting the game. "Along with the teams, the ODAC and their schools, it will also showcase the City of Virginia Beach and the state of Virginia as a year-round, first-class sports destination for an array of sports."

ODAC Commissioner Brad Bankston expressed the following, "We are honored to partner with Virginia Beach and Newport News Apprentice in this unique football bowl game. We believe the postseason experience for our student athletes is an important part of their college experience and the coaches have been very supportive of establishing an additional opportunity for our member institutions. We are extremely grateful to the City of Virginia Beach, the Neptune Bowl and the Apprentice School for their work in planning this exciting opportunity and we look forward to showcasing the best of small college football in the nationally recognized 757 window."

Apprentice Director of Athletics, Michael W. Allen states, "We are excited to enter into this new partnership with the prestigious Old Dominion Athletic Conference and the City of Virginia Beach. As participants in the inaugural Neptune Bowl, it helps us accomplish two things. One, it will provide a postseason opportunity for our apprentice-athletes that they traditionally have not had. Secondly, it allows us to continue to promote who The Apprentice School is and what opportunities we have to offer. There is no doubt that the Neptune Bowl allows us to accomplish both of our goals."

"I second Commissioner Brad Bankston's thoughts on expanding postseason opportunities for our student athletes," noted Mike Clark, head coach at Bridgewater College and chair of the ODAC's football coaches committee. Clark is also the longest tenured head coach in Virginia, entering his 25th season as the Eagles' mentor. "There is a great world of college football that is not on ESPN and we look forward to bringing it to this event."

It was also announced that the DoubleTree by Hilton-Virginia Beach (ODAC) and the Wyndham Virginia Beach Oceanfront (TAS), both Harmony Hospitality properties, will serve as official Host Hotel partners of the Virginia Beach Neptune Bowl. Each hotel will provide a block of rooms at competitive rates for any out-of-town guests travelling and staying in Virginia Beach for the Neptune Bowl.

General Admission tickets for the first annual Virginia Beach Neptune Bowl will go on sale on Monday, July 8. Club Suites, Tailgate and Group tickets for groups of 20 or more will also be available for the game. For information on tickets, corporate packages, branding and activation opportunities, contact Dennis McEwen at dennisq@beachsportsplex.com or 757-427-2990.

This is actually awesome and a starting point for the ODAC and hopefully other conferences that don't participate in bowl matchups. Regardless of the match-up, it is an extra game and extra practice.

MRMIKESMITH

Quote from: tigerFanAlso2 on July 08, 2019, 10:05:00 AM

I disagree, we have witness plenty of 9-1 teams over the year's not make the playoffs due to schedule strength and such. I don't expect the ODAC  SOS to improve to much outside of what H-SC and R-M does, so having that extra game is a great idea.

y_jack_lok

I hope and assume that all of the ODAC's football schools and head coaches are on board with this Neptune Bowl. It makes no sense otherwise.

hasanova

I saw the announcement about this also.  Let's say an ODAC team goes 8-2 or even 9-1 (Guilford 2015) and doesn't make the NCAA playoffs ... and NNA goes 2-8 or 3-7.  Who are the fans who will attend other than the parents and close friends?  Now, if it was a runner-up in another DIII conference ...

MRMIKESMITH

Quote from: hasanova on July 08, 2019, 06:54:49 PM
I saw the announcement about this also.  Let's say an ODAC team goes 8-2 or even 9-1 (Guilford 2015) and doesn't make the NCAA playoffs ... and NNA goes 2-8 or 3-7.  Who are the fans who will attend other than the parents and close friends?  Now, if it was a runner-up in another DIII conference ...

I take this as a starting point. Maybe after 4 years, they'll require NNA to either have a .500 record. If they do not meet that threshold, maybe invite some other schools such within a considerable distance of VA Beach that may want to attend.

tigerFanAlso2

makes no sense to finish the season this way .... can u imagine the loser of the HSC vs. RMC game being forced into this game ... talking about playing with absolutely no emotion in front of parents/friends only ...... no way D3 is drawing a big crowd in Va. Beach this time of year .... way too many really good games on TV, HS playoff games, hunting season/fishing explodes this time of year and golf is still being played ..... I really don't think odac coaches will support this ... can easily see a 2nd place odac school refusing to participate