Around the Nation board

Started by Pat Coleman, September 22, 2005, 03:16:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

labart96

TGP has the Hobart guys ready with the red carpet for K-Mack but Pat does bring up a good point re the TWC game tape.  Question is - although KM says he's seen Hobart - but the question I have is have you seen Hobart at Hobart?

You won't get this view in Alfred:

Don't forget the wine trail either.....http://senecalakewine.com/jc/

K-Mack

Dutch, you kid, but apparently word's been put in that a "VIP" is en route. I appreciate it, of course, even if I don't qualify.

re: TGP ... It's not official unless you can say you were there, even if it's only for a quarter or so.

Ron ... Yeah, uh, sorry bout that. Should I have gone with Colorado College travel agent as least enviable position instead!?!?
Former author, Around the Nation ('01-'13)
Managing Editor, Kickoff
Voter, Top 25/Play of the Week/Gagliardi Trophy/Liberty Mutual Coach of the Year
Nastradamus, Triple Take
and one of the two voices behind the sonic #d3fb nerdery that is the ATN Podcast.

Ralph Turner

Excellent ATN.

Thanks for the perspective on football in New England.

The variation in football programs and conferences in D-III compels us to evaluate a coach's performance by how he (she) does among the peers in the various conferences.  (In reality, that extends to all sports.)

As for the Selection Committee having a tough job, my persistent criticism of the Selection processes in the various sports is the inaccuracies that are easily seen in the Handbooks, the data that the committees receive, and the apparent neglect that we receive in the administrative processes in Indianapolis.  Several of these have been chronicled on these web pages, e.g., the Bracketgates, the errors in the accurate number and allocation of bids, errors in using the Mileage software, blatant errors in the information and its presentation in the various Handbooks, etc.

The vote in the 2009 Annual Meeting concerning the release of the Regional Ranking data to coaches reflected some backroom deals to call off the pressure that was being put on Indianapolis.

I am for the coaches.  I wish that the HQ would perform at the level that these coaches run their own programs.

Ralph Turner

How about this for toughest job...

Football coach at Swarthmore, New Jersey City, Blackburn, Principia and Colorado College...

K-Mack

Quote from: Ralph Turner on September 17, 2009, 11:03:09 PM
How about this for toughest job...

Football coach at Swarthmore, New Jersey City, Blackburn, Principia and Colorado College...

I thought about that. Maybe didn't give it enough consideration, on the grounds they no longer exist, but they're certainly unenviable positions ... maybe moreso than some of the ones who made the list.
Managing Editor, Kickoff
Voter, Top 25/Play of the Week/Gagliardi Trophy/Liberty Mutual Coach of the Year
Nastradamus, Triple Take
and one of the two voices behind the sonic #d3fb nerdery that is the ATN Podcast.

K-Mack

Heyyyyy TGP ... that pic wasn't there the first time.

Doesn't the ball roll off the field into the water though?
Managing Editor, Kickoff
Nastradamus, Triple Take

Mr. Ypsi

K-Mack, good column as usual.  One minor quibble: for the selection committee, you identified Norm Eash as IWU's AD.  Unless there has been a change neither I nor the IWU website has yet heard about, the AD is still Dennie Bridges.

But you're forgiven.  Bridges was one of the all-time great basketball coaches - a sport you don't appear to recognize or believe in! ;)

(Stick around in the winter months - you might enjoy it! :))

Pat Coleman

I suspect he's been to more D-III basketball games in the past decade than you have.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

HSC85

K-Mack,

Good column.  I am continually amazed at the insight that this site brings to the differences of small college football that are present in all areas of the country.  When I read the ATN or the other around the region articles I am always learning about quality individuals that are performing at outstanding levels "for love of the game."  Thanks to you and Pat for your efforts to improve this forum.

Kira & Jaxon's Dad

Quote from this weeks ATN:

QuoteThat said, perhaps the most interesting bit of feedback came from a prominent player on a Texas team. In part, he wrote of Mount Union:

"If they were to play Hardin-Simmons or UMHB to start off the season it would a different story as you can tell HSU and UMHB aren't afraid of opening up going up North to play football because we realize that no other team gives us a good look until we play against each other."

Have their coach call up Coach Kehres.  I'm sure he would be willing to set something up.  Or how about take of business on the field and MUC will see you in Salem some day?
National Champions - 13: 1993, 1996, 1997, 1998, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2005, 2006, 2008, 2012, 2015, 2017

HSCTiger74

Quote from: Pat Coleman on September 18, 2009, 02:28:08 AM
I suspect he's been to more D-III basketball games in the past decade than you have.

Geez, Pat, you've been awfully prickly of late. Are you getting enough sleep?  ;)
TANSTAAFL

Toby Taff

Quote from: kirasdad on September 18, 2009, 01:03:02 PM
Quote from this weeks ATN:

QuoteThat said, perhaps the most interesting bit of feedback came from a prominent player on a Texas team. In part, he wrote of Mount Union:

"If they were to play Hardin-Simmons or UMHB to start off the season it would a different story as you can tell HSU and UMHB aren't afraid of opening up going up North to play football because we realize that no other team gives us a good look until we play against each other."

Have their coach call up Coach Kehres.  I'm sure he would be willing to set something up.  Or how about take of business on the field and MUC will see you in Salem some day?
I like the sentiment here.  UMHB has traveled and played home and home series' with Willamette and with UWW (and wanted to again from what I gather); HSU has played 4 with Linfield.  Both teams are willing to spend the coin and schedule the strong teams for the out of conference games.  Otherwise they're playing NAIA games.  And It has paid off; UMHB has taken care of business and made it to play MUC in the playoffs once and UWW twice, but don't miss the point that because of where HSU and UMHB are, people don't really get a feel for how good they are or aren't until they play one another.  And let's be honest, normally they're playing that game for the conference title and who gets the home game for the rematch in the first round (if both teams finish with no more than 1 loss).
My wife and I are Alumni of both UMHB and HSU.  You think you are confused, my kids don't know which Purple and Gold team to pull for.

Pat Coleman

Quote from: HSCTiger74 on September 18, 2009, 01:28:19 PM
Quote from: Pat Coleman on September 18, 2009, 02:28:08 AM

Geez, Pat, you've been awfully prickly of late. Are you getting enough sleep?  ;)

Dunno, I've made two posts a day for the past week so I'm not sure if you really know me well enough to know if I'm prickly.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

kickerdad

Quote from: frank uible on September 16, 2009, 11:07:15 AM
The typical football fan located 50 miles from any DIII college generally doesn't even know that college exists, much less care about its football team.

You are right on the money with this. Our son played at Averett University and during the 4 years we traveled back and forth (300+ miles) to each home game, I found it amazing how many folks in the city of Danville, Virginia that didn't care that there was a college football game being played on Saturday afternoon, or didn't know there was a even a college in Danville. You go to a local food establishment after the game and a local would see the flag on the car or Averett on a sweat shirt and say "Who is Averett and where are they located". Even the local newspaper gave high schools more publicity than the college. The year Averett played Mount Union (Number one DIII football team in the country) in Danville, there was barely any press, and if it weren't for the family's that travel as far away as FL or PA, plus the crowd that followed Mount Union, there wouldn't have been more than 20 locals in the stands. However I think a lot has to do with the fact that Averett has only been playing football since 2000 and with the exception of the 2005 and 2006 seasons, the excitment hasn't been there. Sometimes I don't think any of the students came (especially in 2007 when they went 0-10.

We live close to Christopher Newport University and everyone knows about them. The two times Averett played there, the home side was packed and seemed to be standing room only on the sidelines. Only saw that at Averett the one season they shared the conference championship with CNU.

I just wonder is there more that the schools could do to attract interest in the local towns and surrounding towns?

labart96

Quote from: K-Mack on September 18, 2009, 12:28:47 AM
Heyyyyy TGP ... that pic wasn't there the first time.

Doesn't the ball roll off the field into the water though?

Well truth be told the lake is about 1/2 to 1 mile from the Boz (up Rts 5 & 20).